Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
A four Mana 1/2, what a legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mandatory lesbian posted:

{T}: Choose two target blocked attacking creatures. If each of those creatures could be blocked by all creatures that the other is blocked by, each creature that's blocking exactly one of those attacking creatures stops blocking it and is blocking the other attacking creature. Activate this ability only during the declare blockers step.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

MikeCrotch posted:

Sounds great! in limited

That's why I said I wish :p

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My favorite Middle School deck was my green deck. I would put Lure on Thicket Basilisk, clean out all my opponents creatures, and then kill them with poison counters. That was until my rapscallion friend started running COP Green!!!

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I think everybody went through a green stompy phase as a middle schooler. I used to play a lot of hunted wumpus. Only 4 mana for a 6/6????

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

xarph posted:

Back when everyone thought Shivan Dragon was good because the people winning games were the people who knew you could pump it multiple times per turn while attacking.

The two best deck archetypes in my high school were "this player knows how activated abilities work" and "this player knows how banding works"
There's also the "kid who just loving lies". I lost to a friend of mine who said that it was in the rules that you had to kill knights twice, and the Order of Leitbur was already pretty good with our bad decks.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

SalTheBard posted:

My favorite Middle School deck was my green deck. I would put Lure on Thicket Basilisk, clean out all my opponents creatures, and then kill them with poison counters. That was until my rapscallion friend started running COP Green!!!

Thicket Basilisk + Lure was a house at my school. My favorite card was Royal Assassin paired with Soul Net. Had so many games where I would just kill a tapped creature and gain a silly amount of life. Then Revised came out with the clarified text and I was convinced someone had complained to an uncle that worked for Wizards

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Originally I thought you had to sacrifice 4 forests each turn to Force of Nature's ability.

Then I realized I could run him and CoP: Green together. I was unstoppable... when I drew him, I only had 1 and some craw wurms and a Craw Giant.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Smgdh if you played more than 1 of each Urza's land in your 72 card deck with no way to find them.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've told this story several times, but my first deck was a BR deck with ok to good removal and bad creatures. The first change I made to it was to add a single Blanket of Night to power up my one Nightmare.

I don't know if I cut anything for that Blanket.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

wisdomHNOX posted:

I played against it on Arena last night. I hadn't seen the deck before that point and was running a very old Izzet Drakes list that didn't have a good way to interact once they went off. It looked like a lot of fun to play, but it was not fun to be on the other side of the table. Milling your whole deck and recurring Mox Ambers for ridiculous amounts of mana seems like itd be a great time.

Huey was playing the combo the other day, and it looked absolutely miserable to go through the motions if your opponent doesn’t scoop. Constantly having to select one legendary to keep, and it’s not quite as simple as the operations for making a dozen pestermites

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I recall trading a tolarian academy for a shivan dragon in fifth grade. We didnt actually play the game much to be honest we just looked at them for ten minutes at recess.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Megrim was my pet card when I first started.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

It took a while for me to find a pet card, including quitting for a bit after Tempest/Stronghold-ish and coming back during Planeshift, but I definitely remember jamming 4 Powerstone Minefields (along with another fun card, Soltari Guerillas) into my R/W soldier deck I played during lunch breaks and after school from Apocalypse to about Scourge.

Then Mirrodin came out, everyone was either on Affinity or "Affinity but couldn't afford Ravagers", then the Kamigawa sets came out and I dipped back out until Lorwyn. Stayed in that Standard until Scars, then around Mirrodin Besieged I moved mostly to EDH, occasionally drafting.

Still love me some Minefields, whether Powerstone or Light.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

troofs posted:

I think everybody went through a green stompy phase as a middle schooler. I used to play a lot of hunted wumpus. Only 4 mana for a 6/6????

If by middle-schooler, you mean 37-year old, then yeah

I'm so sad that Llanowar Elves and Vine Mare are rotating :(

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The first card I ever owned was a Lord of the Pit that one of my dad's army buddies gave me because I thought it looked cool and he was selling a giant plastic storage crate full of loose cards at a yard sale before he deployed. I had no idea what Magic even was and didn't actually play the game until a few years later. Once I did I put that Lord of the Pit in everything, though, and mono-black has been my favorite archetype ever since. I lost that card a long time ago but I bought another one that just hangs out in my binder now.

Also remembering that kinda makes me mad in hindsight because I could have bought that dude's entire storage crate full of cards for like a hundred bucks back then and it would probably be worth enough to buy a house with now. Nobody expected the game to last back then and there's no way those cards would have made it intact through my entire childhood anyway, but still.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

mandatory lesbian posted:

Jarkeld is the best and I will brook no disagreement

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
When are they going to print felines with sacrifice mechanics, so I can play a Standard deck called "The AristoCats"?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mossyfisk posted:

When are they going to print felines with sacrifice mechanics, so I can play a Standard deck called "The AristoCats"?

If the arena historic format goes back to Amonkhet you should be able to produce a lot of cat tokens and marry that with sac effects?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Very early in my MTG "career" my mom bought me a pack of Chronicles which contained the first multicolored cards I had ever seen. I didn't even know they existed until I cracked the booster. The one that caught my eye was Svitri Scarzam, who has cool art and cool flavor text and was basically a craw worm but worse. I still proceeded to make U/B decks and cram her into them for weeks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
First dumb combo I ever played was squirrel mob with druid's call. We didn't know the rules and assumed that any damage would immediately create tokens so squirrel mob could never die and always got stronger

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My childhood combo was a black corrupt deck with Frozen Shade as it's VIP. In my defense, it doesn't say "End of Turn"!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Everyone in my group had a Fungasaur/Prodigal Sorcerer deck. I'm pretty sure we always just pinged our own fungasaurs and never tried to kill the opponent's Tim. Eventually we also added Spiny Starfish (make 0/1s every turn!) and Keldon Warlord. I want to say we also played Breeding Pit, which would make it some kind of terrible 4 color monstrosity that didn't even have much synergy, but we all did it.

Now I'm the only one of that group who even plays anymore. I think. Haven't even talked to a few of them in probably 8 years. :(

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The World Inferno posted:

My childhood combo was a black corrupt deck with Frozen Shade as it's VIP. In my defense, it doesn't say "End of Turn"!

I remember when we were kids also not getting that rule right, and me and my friend had a wall of water and wall of fire with like 80 power each it was great

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The World Inferno posted:

Tbh if I had been playing back whenever this was relevant I'd have thought it was permanent too

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My first foil card ever was a Ring of Gix so I built a really lovely but annoying control deck around it , and I've liked playing annoying decks ever since.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I played stasis from when I started playing around revised through urzas block. no regrets.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

my first card was Avatar of Woe, luckily I waited for Invasion to really get into the game, and then I got the 5-color precon which is a wild idea for a preconstructed deck

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I played stasis from when I started playing around revised through urzas block. no regrets.

Stasis + Kismet + Chronatog is probably the dirtiest I've felt in magic.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

My pet card was Lord of Atlantis so I eventually had a deck that ran it with Merfolk Looter, Rootwater Thief, Waterfront Bouncer and Tidal Warrior.

Eventually saved up for Force of Wills and had a fish deck circa 2001 before they printed all the merfolk lords.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aranan posted:

Chronatog Stasis Prison was a top tier deck in Visions standard, so don't feel too bad :v:

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
My pet card was probably either nekrataal or like, Yavimaya granger or something. I've apparently always loved removal and ramp.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I played power surge + mana flare with burn spells and granite gargoyles so I didn't hurt myself.

Edit: Also manabarbs + mana dorks / moxes. Why no, I didn't sleeve these decks, why do you ask?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Aranan posted:

I had a guy play with his legacy stasis deck against my standard deck at the time, a bant cephalid constable deck, based entirely around getting constable out early and pumping him with exalted/elspeth/vines of vastwood to bounce your entire board and keep it bounced. He then proceeded to throw a get-banned-from-the-store level tantrum when I beat him 3 games in a row. Dude just lost his poo poo over "cards these days are so broken!" and calling my deck "cheap" and that hard prison decks are for [slur cannon on full-auto]. I thought he was gonna take a swing when I asked him what a stasis deck is, if not a prison deck.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1164610365239386112

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

One game spread out across three picnic tables - just like Garfield intended

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ripping it into teeny tiny pieces and throwing it on the board?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Duelist #7. The compression of the internet archive's PDF maker was not kind, but you can get the raw TIFFs by clicking "show all" and "view contents" next to the .cbz file. JPEGs that haven't been through the "remove background for easier OCR" mangler are available by clicking "view contents" next to the .jp2.zip file.
Here are direct links to jpegs of the 6K scans of the Mark Tedin poster:
https://ia801509.us.archive.org/vie...139.jp2&ext=jpg
https://ia801509.us.archive.org/vie...140.jp2&ext=jpg

Duelists are beautifully designed and illustrated, so I was waiting until I got a proper CCD scanner (epson DS-6500) to do them justice.

xarph fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 22, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

xarph posted:

Duelists are beautifully designed and illustrated, so I was waiting until I got a proper CCD scanner (epson DS-6500) to do them justice.

This is great. drat, no wonder why I was so good at Magic reading pro strats like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

This is great. drat, no wonder why I was so good at Magic reading pro strats like:

lol a hill giant with downside was an ice age rare