Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Clawtopsy posted:

it is disgraceful we havent had a welfare jack 4* at halloween to take trick or treating

Three important questions.

What class should she be?

What is she dressed up as for Halloween?

How adorable will it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rorahusky posted:

Three important questions.

What class should she be?

What is she dressed up as for Halloween?

How adorable will it be?

In order:
Saber.
Like Nursery Rhyme, in Jack's colours.
Lethally so.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mini Ferg was a non entity for the overwhelming majority of Agartha. When his big moment came up, I just didn't care. Scheherazade is a bit one note, but I don't dislike her. Agartha was....there.:shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally, i love being performatively morally outraged by a fictional character being sexist, while insulting people with disabilities

edit: also which of these is more likely

1) minase is a monstrous human being who deserves only death who infiltrated the fgo team with the express purpose of setting feminism in japan back 1000 years
2) he wrote a story and it didnt really come together

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 22, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Chloe = Blackbeard

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You don't have to constantly defend Minase you know. Bad writers do exist in the world. FGO is demonstrably not always a 10/10 game that can do no wrong when it comes to story, character writing, or design. Just because someone doesn't like an aspect of a game you like, such as a writer or creative decision, doesn't mean they are making GBS threads on your tastes specifically and you must respond to defend this thing. Schez can be both a comedic character when written in the right situation and way while also being kind of bland and one note. Kuro can be both comedic and uncomfortable. And now to ruin my point: this is why nobody likes you loving anime people.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

personally, i love being performatively morally outraged by a fictional character being sexist, while insulting people with disabilities

edit: also which of these is more likely

1) minase is a monstrous human being who deserves only death who infiltrated the fgo team with the express purpose of setting feminism in japan back 1000 years

So what else are you working on, Minase?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
You know, speaking as a game designer, this sort of thing is exactly why we don't talk that much. Unless we are, I guess, giving a talk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

You don't have to constantly defend Minase you know. Bad writers do exist in the world. FGO is demonstrably not always a 10/10 game that can do no wrong when it comes to story, character writing, or design. Just because someone doesn't like an aspect of a game you like, such as a writer or creative decision, doesn't mean they are making GBS threads on your tastes specifically and you must respond to defend this thing. Schez can be both a comedic character when written in the right situation and way while also being kind of bland and one note. Kuro can be both comedic and uncomfortable. And now to ruin my point: this is why nobody likes you loving anime people.
idk how you take me going 'minase probably isnt the literal worst writer in the world' as 'agartha is an incredible feat of storytelling.' agartha sucks poo poo. im not defending it at all. but its bad for reasons besides 'the writer is awful at his job,' as shown by the fact that that same writer writes the same characters decently in other stuff. im not responding to people saying they dislike agartha or chloe, those are both totally valid sentiments, im responding to people pinning it all on one random guy they only know because someone else pinned it all on him. like, he did a bad job with agartha and dude is probably a weirdo, but there's no point hyperfocusing on him.

idk what you're reading into my post but whatever it is, it wasn't my intent at all.

Bogart posted:

So what else are you working on, Minase?
you have a persona 5 avatar

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 22, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Omobono posted:

In order:
Saber.
Like Nursery Rhyme, in Jack's colours.
Lethally so.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Gologle posted:

Quote the loving anime person

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Keikenchi should be given a Singularity/Lostbelt to write.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yoko Taro Lostbelt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the melty blood manga is nothing but insane loredumps that are almost incomprehensible and unreadable, and riesbyfe and sion making out

give that guy a lostbelt

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Give *spins roulette* Satoshi Mizukami a lostbelt

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yoko Taro Lostbelt.

God no I love :yokotaro:'s writing but as its own thing. I emphatically do not want him anywhere in the Nasuverse, it's already bleak enough as it is.

Also you know that finishing a Yoko Taro lostbelt would involve burning a random GSSR or three.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
"Just a bunch of morons addicted to gambling, I see."

Jeanne, you can't just tell me the truth like that! It's bad for my heart!

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

dogsicle posted:

Chloe = Blackbeard

Chloe IMO is worse due to her constant physical assaults and because Blackbeard's interlude bribed me w/ a bunch of forbidden pages.

Thinking about it, anytime the MC brings Chloe and Blackbeard, they should just be handcuffed to Nightingale the whole time and she can swing them around to attack.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I heard Blackbeard (or his writing) chilled out a little by Summer 3?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Normies explode

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Chloe = Blackbeard

Blackbeard usually fails, everyone hates him, and he usually ends up beaten up or dead. Outside of his main story appearances, where he actually had a little depth (not very much, but he wasn't completely a one-note character), his scene appearances mostly have him taking the role of a punching bag, his absolutely awful personality serving largely to make it impossible to feel pity or sympathy for him in order to prep the reader for whatever painful physical comedy he ends up in the receiving end of. He's a creepy shitbag, but he never gets his hands on anyone and you're clearly supposed to be cheering for him to fail.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Endorph posted:

That sounds dangerously close to claiming people being upset at something are just virtue signaling. Please don't.

Endorph posted:

I'm often hyperbolic, and maybe I missed this, but I'm pretty sure no one is saying he's an awful human being... just a bad writer.

Saying his story just "didn't come together" is quite the understatement. London immediately comes to mind as an example of something that was just a little off here and there, with excellent characters that didn't get very interesting interactions and had uneven development, a great theme and concept marred by glacial pacing, and a strong ending point that was extended for a few more chapters, including cameos that felt out of place. I'm sure people are willing to overlook a lot of its faults because it came in the pre-Camelot days, and compared to something like Septem, it reads like a masterpiece.

I loved Scheherazade in the summer event, but I know that's in large part because it's easier to turn her thanatophobia into a punchline than actually address it in a way that doesn't make her come off as one-dimensional. I hear her upcoming interlude addresses this, and I'm excited for it, because I relate to her character quite a bit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lovely jokes that got papered over here aside, I like Agartha more than London, since while everything prior to El Dorado is pretty rote, mechanical plotting, at least it's a series of things happening versus standing around in an office and getting told to patrol a dozen times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sophism posted:

That sounds dangerously close to claiming people being upset at something are just virtue signaling. Please don't.
i was talking about one specific guy, not everyone with a complaint about agartha or that scene

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Endorph posted:

i was talking about one specific guy, not everyone with a complaint about agartha or that scene

Gotcha. All good!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like I'm not explaining myself well here so I'll elaborate. My point was never 'Agartha is good' or 'people complaining about it are morons.' There are legitimate reasons to both dislike it strongly and even have been hurt by it being in a game you like. Those are both valid responses. But FGO is a collaborative effort. Obviously each story chapter has the quirks of their own writer in it, but the game still has actual editors, Nasu is still the guy who oversees everything (even if he took a backseat for EoR, there's no way he didn't at least read Agartha before it went out), Minase was given the ability to work on the game and also Prism Ilya because he had an established relationship with Nasu and the game's other writers, and they trusted him. Agartha's flaws are not the result of one individual, or even unique to it.

Other parts of the story and other Type Moon properties make weird sex jokes, weird claims about gender, and sometimes jokes that punch down. Focusing on Minase as a rogue individual actor papers over the other places those flaws appear, the fact that Agartha's entire everything was the result of multiple individuals making mistakes and signing off on it, and the ways in which FGO has at least mostly managed to duck weird jokes about Da Vinci/Astolfo since. That's all I'm saying here.

If these things are awful, then it's important to focus on how awful they are whenever they appear, and who allowed them to exist, not just chalk it up to one guy who coincidentally only writes two to three characters, one story chapter, and one event. That's just using some random guy as a sewer drain for criticism, and regardless of Minase's flaws as a writer, I don't think he was the guy inserting Da Vinci jokes into the first like five lines of the game, or having Medea talk about the happiness of a woman being cooking/cleaning. I don't think Fate is some megasexist thing, either, I think it's usually fairly good about these things, but it has weird edges all over, not just one random spike in one chapter of FGO.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 22, 2019

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm glad we haven't changed the Type-Moon thread title over on ADTRW from "The Worst Writing and Most Heinous Misogny"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm never gonna change it, those reviews are exemplary pieces in ignorance

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Endorph posted:

grape flavored cocaine

It's seasoning and Servants put it on their food and you can't convince me otherwise.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Would non magic cocaine even have an effect on Servants?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Crasical posted:

It's seasoning and Servants put it on their food and you can't convince me otherwise.

I sure as hell would not eat or drink anything provided to me by Professor P.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

He saved us from kiyohime lancer's antics one time

(ignore the part where he was also the one that supplied it)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It seems that Hector shares your opinion.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I just noticed that Fou is wearing a juanty little sailor outfit in that pic, and now I want that as an alt outfit somehow.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Gologle posted:

Alcohol does, so why not.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Roger Explosion posted:

I just noticed that Fou is wearing a juanty little sailor outfit in that pic, and now I want that as an alt outfit somehow.
He's just dressing like Merlin again.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sophism posted:

extremely glossing over roger explosion's awful post i see

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gologle posted:

Since it is part of his 'legend' (the 7 percent solution), then standard cocaine should do. He was also a smoker, hence the pipe, and a social drinker.

This article has a pretty good rundown, even when Watson helps wean him off the habit in later works. Presumably this Holmes is between 'Study in Scarlet' and later works, in his 'prime'.

I imagine that alcohol works the same way for servants, as alcohol in myths tends to be a big part in those myths. From drunken slaughter to tomfoolery while plastered, myth abounds with drink both friendly and hostile.

So, when do we get Alcohol as a servant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
She's called Shuten Douji