Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Im trying to mentally convince myself to go to the gym today for the first time in months.

its not working

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Im trying to mentally convince myself to go to the gym today for the first time in months.

its not working

stop posting get up and go you loving idiot loooser look at this post then get up and out the door u absolute dumbass, turn off ur computer u piece of poo poo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSwRM1qiXU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Homeless Friend posted:

stop posting get up and go you loving idiot loooser look at this post then get up and out the door u absolute dumbass, turn off ur computer u piece of poo poo

Im at work, help Im trapped send guillotine

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Im at work, help Im trapped seen guillotine

get halfway to the gym then do the cost benefit analysis of wasted energy of going back, works every time for my supreme brain. Sunk cost baby

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Homeless Friend posted:

get halfway to the gym then do the cost benefit analysis of wasted energy of going back, works every time for my supreme brain. Sunk cost baby

I am gonna fail because I did not think to bring gym clothes to work, and when I get home I will not want to go.

gently caress

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
If you're too lazy. Ah well, its not too bad, there is always next time. It's like rocking a boat, you build up mental momentum. You just plan around you're lazy rear end.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Lightning Knight posted:

I am gonna fail because I did not think to bring gym clothes to work, and when I get home I will not want to go.

gently caress

Marxist take: Do some bodyweight or yoga routines when you get home. Insisting that you have to "go to the gym" and "wear workout clothes" and all that poo poo is just a way of making it easier on yourself in confronting your own failure. Your objective is to perform physical exercise in order to strengthen your body and discipline your will, not participate in consumerism and social branding. There are hundreds of ways you can do this with nothing but your own body and a tiny space. Yeah, no one wants to do unpleasant poo poo. Do it anyway. If everyone bitches out over trivial poo poo like that before they learn discipline, "from each according to his abillity" isn't going to meet "to each according to his need", and you should take off the hammer and sickle already.

Reasonable centrist take: Do some bodyweight or yoga routines when you get home. But if you bitch out, don't freak out and shame spiral about it, just pack a bag with gym clothes tonight and go tomorrow. Maybe spend some time figuring out ways to make sure you have fewer points of failure. Start going in the mornings before work, poo poo like that. Find a buddy to do it with to hold yourself accountable. Also, instead of crowdsourcing your brain/superego/ego to a bunch of dumb goons, try a paper-based system like a bullet journal, and also actual journaling.

HELLO LADIES has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Aug 21, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

HELLO LADIES posted:

Marxist take: Do some bodyweight or yoga routines when you get home. Insisting that you have to "go to the gym" and "wear workout clothes" and all that poo poo is just a way of making it easier on yourself in confronting your own failure. Your objective is to perform physical exercise in order to strengthen your body and discipline your will, not participate in consumerism and social branding. There are hundreds of ways you can do this with nothing but your own body and a tiny space. Yeah, no one wants to do unpleasant poo poo. Do it anyway. If everyone bitches out over trivial poo poo like that before they learn discipline, "from each according to his abillity" isn't going to meet "to each according to his need", and you should take off the hammer and sickle already.

Reasonable centrist take: Do some bodyweight or yoga routines when you get home. But if you bitch out, don't freak out and shame spiral about it, just pack a bag with gym clothes tonight and go tomorrow. Maybe spend some time figuring out ways to make sure you have fewer points of failure. Start going in the mornings before work, poo poo like that. Find a buddy to do it with to hold yourself accountable. Also, instead of crowdsourcing your brain/superego/ego to a bunch of dumb goons, try a paper-based system like a bullet journal, and also actual journaling.

:hmmyes:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

appointment complete. it is a new pcp, but she was very nice and gave me more of the drugs I wanted more of and said she'd give me a medical marijuana card after being her patient for 3 months. Score!

:bubblewoop:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Climate change anxiety hours rn

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i haven't owned a bicycle in over 4 years until recently. I went for a late night bike ride, I met a kitty and a bunny. It felt awesome. And that's my story.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Just do squats at your desk.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I have two dumbbells and a medicine ball at home just for this. every time i feel even the slightest urge to work out Ill do some push ups or weighted crunches or just do 15 pound dumbbell reps until my arms are ready to fall off. its not the running or swimming I should do more of. but its something. and Ill take something over nothing for sure.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

redsniper posted:

Just do squats at your desk.

screaming and yelling as I approach my 15th set as the people in the neighboring cubicles try harder to ignore me

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Those hand grip exercisers are cheap and make your forearms look ripped

Headed into hospital for a raft of tests to see why my liver is trying to murder me again. "Luckily" I'm manic as gently caress today so my focus is on looking good and acting cool rather than crapping myself with anxiety but the day is long, I'm sure I can get there if I try

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m trying to mentally convince myself to go to the gym today for the first time in months.

it’s not working

I've never been to the gym and my acquaintances have all gotten into CrossFit and are trying to get me to join. Help.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:38 on Aug 30, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

I've never been to the gym and my acquaintances have all gotten into CrossFit and are trying to get me to join. Help.

do it

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
i found going to the gym slightly more easier to do if i think of it as a way to get out of the house, not just to lose weight.

also, job search update: got a phone interview next monday; my current job still suuuuuucccks. watching paint dry is more mentally stimulating and satisfying.

in lighter news: i'm playing fire emblem: 3 houses. it's good, and i like the anime kids praising me

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

On the eve of my first job interview in 5 months, some loving idiot set off the super loud fire alarm right as I was finally going to sleep. And I can't sleep past 5:30am because I live above a gym. I cannot loving believe my luck.

just show up naked. that's what I'd do in a dream :D

but for real, that sucks total rear end, but go get 'em anyway. break a leg!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Anyone heard from A Big Fuckin Hornet lately?

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Equeen posted:

Climate change anxiety hours rn

Somebody posted this in the happy news thread and it provides a newsletter. Couldn't hurt at least.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Hi Goons!

Are you insomnia? I'm insomnia! Together we can beat insomnia. Or we can do it separately if you really wanna, idgaf. Anyhow, if you're suffering from any kind of non-physiological insomnia I wholeheartedly recommend Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I). Sleep Restriction Therapy, although gross and scary at first blush, actually works, unlike every kind of pharmaceutical "health" "professionals" will throw your way when you tell them you're only getting 0-3 hours of sleep at night and are slowly (or quickly) going mad.

If you have questions about how CBT-I can work for you, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm not an expert, I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks, but it has almost certainly saved my sanity, if not my life.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Hi Goons!

Are you insomnia? I'm insomnia! Together we can beat insomnia. Or we can do it separately if you really wanna, idgaf. Anyhow, if you're suffering from any kind of non-physiological insomnia I wholeheartedly recommend Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I). Sleep Restriction Therapy, although gross and scary at first blush, actually works, unlike every kind of pharmaceutical "health" "professionals" will throw your way when you tell them you're only getting 0-3 hours of sleep at night and are slowly (or quickly) going mad.

If you have questions about how CBT-I can work for you, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm not an expert, I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks, but it has almost certainly saved my sanity, if not my life.

thanks for the info! Im gonna squeeze it into the op if I can.

as a side note, please dont discourage people from pharmaceutical intervention for sleep, as it falls under the general dont tell people to not take their meds. I understand what youre getting at so I aint mad or anything, but ground rules and all

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Failson posted:

Anyone heard from A Big Fuckin Hornet lately?

were they part of the bullshit d&d month probes that were handed out? a couple of regulars in here got swept up which makes it even worse

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:39 on Aug 30, 2019

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Get thee some earplugs

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

thanks for the info! Im gonna squeeze it into the op if I can.

as a side note, please dont discourage people from pharmaceutical intervention for sleep, as it falls under the general dont tell people to not take their meds. I understand what youre getting at so I aint mad or anything, but ground rules and all

Oh poo poo, sorry. :(

I should qualify that to say "if the meds work for you, great, but if not, CBT-I is a viable alternative." At least, that's been my experience. My doctors tried all of the following (in this order):

• pantoprazole (yeah, the first doc thought the hot flashes at night were just acid reflux, but nope, that's anxiety!)
  • zopiclone
  • quetiapine
  • trazodone
  • vortioxetine and zolpidem
  • amitriptyline

The z-drugs made me drowsy but didn't put me to sleep. The quetiapine stopped the "broken record" thoughts, but still didn't put me to sleep, and the side effects (hot pins and needles in the hands) were just unbearable. The trazodone also seemed to do nothing but make me drowsy. Vortioxetine was nothing short of a hellish experience... I'm pretty sure I drew the short straw on the side effects, because they didn't subside even after two full weeks of use, and the withdrawal from even that short a time was absolutely brutal. I'm currently still on amitriptyline 50mg... it's not putting me to sleep, but it was also to help with shoulder pain, and seems to be working on that front.

The CBT-I was, believe it or not, self-prescribed after getting frustrated with lack of progress with medications and doing an assload of research. I don't know why neither of the psychiatrists I saw mentioned it. Actually, scratch that, I think I do know why: I can see a lot of patients balking at CBT because it sounds scary and can take weeks to produce results, whereas if you hit the pharmaceutical sweet spot it can produce results in days (or even a day). SRT is working for me, but even at that it's going to be another 2.5 months minimum to get a full night's sleep. I can see a lot of people saying "thanks, but how about 'no'."

The book that helped the most was End the Insomnia Struggle.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
after like 8(?) months of weekly therapy sessions and EMDR my therapist thinks I've graduated from seeing her every week. and I agree! feel pretty nice

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Consummate Professional posted:

after like 8(?) months of weekly therapy sessions and EMDR my therapist thinks I've graduated from seeing her every week. and I agree! feel pretty nice

That is awesome, congrats to you :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:39 on Aug 30, 2019

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Hi Goons!

from the research Ive seen, this does seem like an effective treatment. folks who suffer from manic episodes should be wary though. also, I think the approach is to separate mind and body. but and work on both. meds can help the body relax or sleep but the mind must also do so. similarly, you can relax your mind but may need meds to calm the body its okay to need both, or just one of the other! just know that if something isnt working there are options. CBT-I is definitely a promising avenue to sleep treatment.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
also, folks dealing with any kind of chronic physical disorder, look up its psychological effects. chances are there are a ton of related psych issues that dont get treated because that takes the medical establishment too much time. look into therapists or even trying some self-treatment. it wont likely fix everything, but it can cut down significantly on suffering.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a year sober, and 2 months back on effexor. Still physically and socially isolated, but I've got D&D tomorrow and gonna go hoot and holler at Bernie on Saturday.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh what's he doing Saturday

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:40 on Aug 30, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Addamere posted:

I'm a year sober, and 2 months back on effexor. Still physically and socially isolated, but I've got D&D tomorrow and gonna go hoot and holler at Bernie on Saturday.

dont go theyre handing out month long bans :ohdear:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
was just about asleep and suddenly hit with a wave of overwhelming sadness,