Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
There's a note I agree with at the end of that Twitter thread where he says that the likely reasoning behind this game is that young people don't play Monopoly any more because we have Good Board Games now, so the Monopoly people are just going all in on the awful Boomer demographic.

Sounds about right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haystack posted:

Train Hell.
... Pardon?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Zereth posted:

... Pardon?

Spire has a weird underground place that's essentially Train Hell where really spooky poo poo happens and Train Wizards can invoke the powers of the Hell Train, the greatest being summoning the Hell Train to loving kill you by running you over, coincidentally running over everything else around you and loving up the entire surroundings something fierce.

IIRC the place also becomes partly Train Hell. You can even stash things in Train Hell retroactively for your present self because time is weird there.

The Spire owns.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There’s an order of dark elf historians using the twisted remains of a planned train network that got too hosed up by the eldritch Heart of Spire and budget cuts as a library.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
So it's literally the Webway from 40K but with helltrains?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the Hell Train have a stop in Suplex City?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Does the Hell Train have a stop in Suplex City?
I'm pretty sure there's no stopping the Hell Train.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no stopping the Hell Train.

They said that about the Phantom Train, too

I can't help myself but link this

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 22, 2019

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
If anyone knows Rick Loomis, one of the founders of Flying Buffalo Games, he has unfortunately been diagnosed with cancer. Because it's America there is now a GoFundMe to help cover the life-destroying expenses that go along with cancer therapy even for the well insured.

He's done some interesting stuff and his company still has play by mail and play by email games going, probably one of the last companies to do so. Flying Buffalo also published one of the first Not-DnD RPGs, Tunnels and Trolls.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

To put the word out:

https://twitter.com/JacobSKellogg/status/1164295885242687488

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

That is ridiculously stupid, is Hasbro/WotC any less litigious these days?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1164511728240975872

quote:

That said, yeah, sometimes something sneaks in there that is other people’s paid content, because as it happens, the internet isn’t always great about sourcing things and I don’t always know the origin of the things I collect or that are sent to me. I’m always more than happy to pull anything at the request of an artist or creator, cause I’m not an rear end-hole, and the last thing I wanna do is cut into anyone else’s profit to make a measly dollar.

"Just some random free PDFs I found on the internet." :lol:

PS Holy poo poo desktop Twitter's new interface is so loving awful. It was a bizarre chore just to link to Ettin's tweet.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

When your $1 patreon tier ends with a “wink wink I definitely don’t have official Wizards books in there, sure would be weird if I did,” well, I don’t really know how you get away with it. This guy is going to get burned on every front.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
His patreon is already under review, I guess the only betting pool now is whether it was people from twitter or wotc who reported him to oblivion first.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Looks like he's already yanked the hoard/rewrote his patreon tiers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leraika posted:

Awww I missed the piracy patreon tiers.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

These are some cool fantasy artworks.

Oh, OK.

quote:

Despite being one of the first elements to make up my new world, I dragged my feet in creating this race, partially because I struggled to find the right artwork (I still intend to commission something specific in the future), but mostly because I had developed so deep a connection to the Aeramanu as a people, that stepping back to Isolate the mechanics of the race became a struggle.

Everything this guy has done is probably stolen.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm reasonably certain that bird is World of Warcraft fanart.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kurieg posted:

https://www.deviantart.com/uruno-morlith/art/Blizzard-fest-2014-Priest-K-hilleck-487132187

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Nessus posted:

Based on my time in open-ended RP communities I actually think there is a huge and underserved marked for what I suppose you could call slice of life, status-quo stuff-- the stuff that is often glossed over in tabletop games for the sensible reason of "it's a little boring at best, compared to dramatic action" but which seems to both have a great allure for many players and which also has value of creating a contrast against which the big splashy moments actually resolve.

Like in universe most games of D&D would look more like Ryuutama than anything if you just zoomed in on a randomly chosen hour of time. "You travel 3 days to the scene of the attack - ah, gnolls!" The fight with the gnolls takes 3 hours in real life, in universe it was three minutes (and would have been 90 seconds if we didn't decide to chase that one with the weird hat).

Ever since first playing ttrpgs I've found both myself and a lot of who I play with focus in on "slice of life" and more day to day minutae and RP. It makes it hard to understand the appeal of old school low rp, high character turnover campaigns outside of one shots and the like.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Leraika posted:

I am sure the lawyers will be devastated that their case has been shredded.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Kurieg posted:

And the race writeup is really typical skeevy Roma stereotypes bullshit because of course that's what this rear end in a top hat develops a deep connection to, of course it is

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m just boggling that you look at that bird and are like ‘yes, his name is Victor Stein’

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm trying to take this in but I keep being distracted by the random mid-sentence capitalization which is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Admiral Joeslop posted:

These are some cool fantasy artworks.

Oh, OK.

Everything this guy has done is probably stolen.

I love how idiots keep slamming their dick in the door by assuming 'is on the internet' means 'fair game for commercial use', especially after watching writers and artist friends have to do the DMCA dance over, and over, and over.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I love how idiots keep slamming their dick in the door by assuming 'is on the internet' means 'fair game for commercial use', especially after watching writers and artist friends have to do the DMCA dance over, and over, and over.

He's really stupid.

I also received this email that someone else commented on the post but it looks like it was removed immediately.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Yeah, "I used something to make something else and credited them" isn't how fair use works. I'm not a copyright lawyer, but I watch enough videos by a copyright lawyer (your favorite copyright lawyer Leonard French) to highly suspect this guy wouldn't win a court case.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it is, however, how derivative works work.

Those are a different category of use, but in my experience most people who try it fail to meet the legal bar.

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf

quote:

Right to Prepare Derivative Works
Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, an adaptation of
that work. The owner of a copyright is generally the author
or someone who has obtained the exclusive rights from the
author. In any case where a copyrighted work is used without
the permission of the copyright owner, copyright protection
will not extend to any part of the work in which such material has been used unlawfully. The unauthorized adaption of
a work may constitute copyright infringement.

This being the bar they never clear.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 23, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So by his logic, anyone could take his stuff and sell it as long as they leave him in the credits? And not give him any of the money?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

So by his logic, anyone could take his stuff and sell it as long as they leave him in the credits? And not give him any of the money?

no see, anyone could take two different works, one by him and one by someone else, and "combine" them and thereby avoid having to pay him anything as long as they credit him.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

no see, anyone could take two different works, one by him and one by someone else, and "combine" them and thereby avoid having to pay him anything as long as they credit him.

Ah, so take his words and put them in a different document with some public domain art.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've since learned that that is the Courtney Campbell that works with Alexander Macris, known fascist and gamergater and former manager of Milo Y. I feel dirty.

Edit:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 23, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"I can't help it that all the people I work with and plan to work with are scumbags."

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've since learned that that is the Courtney Campbell that works with Alexander Macris, known fascist and gamergater and former manager of Milo Y. I feel dirty.

Edit:

He also asked actual Neo-Nazi Vox Day to design a class for his ACKS game, which is an OSR retroclone.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Edit:
Yes the guy who literally was friends with In Defense of Rape Desborough and let him harass Mikan is a good guy. What a loving piece of poo poo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

This sure is a bad look.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The only words I have for this are 'gently caress that self-pitying fuckhead, forever'

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Cancel Culture" definitely sounds more ominous than "consequences of your trash actions."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There are definitely valid critiques of cancel culture but they are not coming from the guy who got booted from Honest Trailers for raping a fan.

quote:

My name is Andy Signore, and  I am a successful content creator responsible for such popular brands as ScreenJunkies, Honest Trailers, Man At Arms and more...  

Two years ago I made some deeply personal mistakes that greatly affected my life and many I loved. I was immensely unfaithful to my ex-wife, and was caught flirting online with my fans. One of those fans exploited these inappropriate transgressions, turning a completely consensual affair - into false allegations of sexual assault and abuse. 

While my flirtation with fans as a content creator was indeed questionable and a mistake - It was  the specific criminal charges that crippled me - turning any flirtation I ever made into malicious and predatory behavior. My fanbase and colleagues upset with the news - and caught up in the first few days of the #MeToo movement, bought my false accuser’s story hook, line and sinker.

They allowed her to lead a social media mob to terminate my employment, scorch my name and livelihood.

Sound familiar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ugh.