Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mediadave posted:

With the BBC as they are the Tories will be given a completely free pass but every Labour interviewee will be shouted down as a liar

this happens anyway OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Sweet.

Wait, are you implying nicotine is a hallucinogen? If so that's news to me
It is (kinda) when used uncured in the manner of Native Americans, so it's the only hallucinogen that's technically legal under the Act, even if the British don't use it that way.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

It is (kinda) when used uncured in the manner of Native Americans, so it's the only hallucinogen that's technically legal under the Act, even if the British don't use it that way.

Huh, well the more you know.

I imagine it is, as you say, completely terrible, especially considering the range of other options

Edit ohh right tobacco has harmala alkaloids in it, that'd do it

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 22, 2019

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

The last time I did day drinking I got home around 6-7 and shortly after went to bed because I couldn't handle it anymore.

Woke up nice and early the next day feeling refreshed.

You're lucky: if I ever do that I'll be wide awake by the small hours and feeling like poo poo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I like the sound of the Euro game design, one of the things I hated on Caravan Holidays as a wee 'un was getting eliminated from competitive games by my brothers, and then having to sit there bored for the rest of the evening to be 'polite.'

I may be getting Elder Sign confused with A Study in Emerald, but I think it was Elder Sign - there's no DM required, so it's basically the players vs the game's inherent mechanics, and I'd like to see more of that sort of thing.

One of the most sobering experiences of my early teens was getting Games Workshop's Mighty Empires and being so excited by the hex board, and the castles and the freaking dragon. Then my dad came out of the bedroom, sunburnt and defeated and threw the rulebook down and said in a small voice "I can't understand how this works, sorry."

Although the year before that I got Space Hulk and holy poo poo was that fun.

Also got slightly burned out on 40k after my brother and I collected a huge Space Marine army*, my little brother bought a ton as well because he had no idea what he was doing but was young enough to desperately want to be part of whatever we were doing. Then they lost interest and I was terrible at strategy but spent most of my time being the guy with 8,000 points of space marines that could be stomped by five different armies every saturday.

Now I get my revenge by occasionally booting up Dawn of War skirmish mode against eight easy opponents and stomping the gently caress out of them with necrons. I am a tiny, petty man.

* dark angels :gaysper:

If you want Players Vs the Game in co-op or at least semi co-op then I can recommend

Pandemic - The Classic co-op game but play it with people at your level, it's very vulnerable to quarterbacking where the most experienced player just tells everyone else what to do.

Time Stories - Bit of a pricey one because you can only play each story once but up to 4 players traveling back in time to try and unfuck something, every time you fail you get sent back again but this time with the knowledge of your previous failures.

Eldritch Horror - You gallivant around the globe trying to stop the end times. Quite a long game and quite hard but it is fun.

Dead of Winter - Co-operate to fight off Zombie hordes, except you have secret objectives you have to complete as well to actually win. Might be a traitor as well which is bad, very very semi-co-op.

Space Alert - Real time game about managing a space ship correctly, spoiler alert you do not manage the space ship correctly. An absolute classic of the co-op genre.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pistol_Pete posted:

You're lucky: if I ever do that I'll be wide awake by the small hours and feeling like poo poo.

If I ever need to get up super early I make sure I’ve had at least one beer before I go to my bed, always makes me wake up mad early without fail.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

If you want Players Vs the Game in co-op or at least semi co-op then I can recommend

Pandemic - The Classic co-op game but play it with people at your level, it's very vulnerable to quarterbacking where the most experienced player just tells everyone else what to do.

Time Stories - Bit of a pricey one because you can only play each story once but up to 4 players traveling back in time to try and unfuck something, every time you fail you get sent back again but this time with the knowledge of your previous failures.

Eldritch Horror - You gallivant around the globe trying to stop the end times. Quite a long game and quite hard but it is fun.

Dead of Winter - Co-operate to fight off Zombie hordes, except you have secret objectives you have to complete as well to actually win. Might be a traitor as well which is bad, very very semi-co-op.

Space Alert - Real time game about managing a space ship correctly, spoiler alert you do not manage the space ship correctly. An absolute classic of the co-op genre.

Time Stories rules even with the limited replayability.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Apologies if this has been posted already (I'm way behind on the thread at the moment) but if anyone wants to get super informed about no deal brexit, or if you're having trouble sleeping, the House of Commons library has collated a list of recent publications looking at the issue:
https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8642

quote:

This paper provides links to a selection of 2019 publications by private sector organisations, think tanks, research institutes and other academic institutions on a no-deal exit from the EU.

The publications selected consider the general political, constitutional and economic implications of a no-deal Brexit rather than its effects in particular sectors.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1164547788266463232?s=19

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Puntification posted:

Time Stories rules even with the limited replayability.

Yeah I'm a big fan, I've for Expedition Endurance and Under the mask still, going to pick up another one soon and maybe trade those ones away.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Aramoro posted:

This game is absolute genius, and hilarious. Also pretty easy to teach to newbies, and the missions are short (30 minutes or so). Should be an insta-buy IMO for anyone looking for a co-op game.

There's also a huge influx of dungeon-crawler boardgames happening right now, which is another good co-op option if you like chucking dice around and killing monsters. You've got Gloomhaven, FFG stuff like Star Wars Imperial Assault and Descent and Doom and whatnot, and some massive overproduced Kickstarter stuff coming out like Middara, Reichbusters, Altar Quest, Sword & Sorcery, etc. The best ones have the appeal of a D&D adventure without the difficulties of finding a good DM and having to listen to your mates' embarrassing character backstories.

There's a pretty extensive thread on dungeon-crawlers in the BoardGameGeek forums: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1848358/dungeon-crawler-collector-2019/page/1

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/Jaduk99/status/1164468085249761281?s=20

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thorsilver posted:

This game is absolute genius, and hilarious. Also pretty easy to teach to newbies, and the missions are short (30 minutes or so). Should be an insta-buy IMO for anyone looking for a co-op game.

There's also a huge influx of dungeon-crawler boardgames happening right now, which is another good co-op option if you like chucking dice around and killing monsters. You've got Gloomhaven, FFG stuff like Star Wars Imperial Assault and Descent and Doom and whatnot, and some massive overproduced Kickstarter stuff coming out like Middara, Reichbusters, Altar Quest, Sword & Sorcery, etc. The best ones have the appeal of a D&D adventure without the difficulties of finding a good DM and having to listen to your mates' embarrassing character backstories.

There's a pretty extensive thread on dungeon-crawlers in the BoardGameGeek forums: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1848358/dungeon-crawler-collector-2019/page/1

Gloomhaven is by FAR the best dungeon crawler boardgame, but it's also huge and expensive and a massive time sink.

IA is probably the best self contained experience which is shorter and lighter, but not as well balanced, but also not supported any more.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Pretty sure I saw Alastair Campbell the other day, unfortunately was not able to drive my car fast enough at him to be able to confirm via DNA evidence.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Boohoo lmao eat poo poo

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Anyone who enjoys Eldritch Horror or any of that mythos should look into the Arkham Horror LCG (living cardgame). All the fun and themes of EH but with nowhere near the setuptime, characters that grow over time that don't come down to spamming a single ability every turn and less hoping you get lucky and the random stat test on the card matches your min/maxed stats. Just finished the 8-game spanning Carcosa arc with my 4 person group, excellent stuff

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol it didn't take long for Dick Brain to show his true colours

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/22/leaked-emails-show-ukip-leader-richard-braine-comparing-muslims-nazis

Not that he's relevant anymore, mind you

Also since we're on board games, UK politics are more or less Secret Hitler except the fascists are the majority

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 22, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*sighs and returns the "days since boris loving up basic diplomacy" counter to 0*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why do people like him assume that all Muslims even know or care about the majority of scripture unless it's currently being discussed?

Like any religion, outside of the people who willingly attend study it's mostly a group cultural identifier with a bunch of ritual and text attached to it.

Pochoclo posted:

Also since we're on board games, UK politics are more or less Secret Hitler except the fascists are the majority
Open Hitler.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i'm the dick tie.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I saw one of them on Wish.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

*sighs and returns the "days since boris loving up basic diplomacy" counter to 0*

"What do you mean he's not the boot shine boy?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

He's even wearing an overlong tie like Trump. Who the gently caress looks at that mushbrained fucknugget and aspires?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

OwlFancier posted:

i'm the dick tie.

I thought you meant 'tie' as in 'draw' and agreed with you that those two people are indeed dicks of an equally high caliber

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Why do people like him assume that all Muslims even know or care about the majority of scripture unless it's currently being discussed?

Like any religion, outside of the people who willingly attend study it's mostly a group cultural identifier with a bunch of ritual and text attached to it.

To combine two recent topics, I've been dating a muslim lately and it's a good way to stop drinking.

Also it's astonishing how little of what most people consider 'Islam' is actually in the quran, it's very much like e.g. bible and catholicism. The only two major things that are unambiguosly mentioned is praying towards Mecca and fasting for Ramadan, and even that's arguable if one wanted to go all protestant theologising.

As an example the beard thing comes from this verse:

Al-Nisa posted:

And most certainly I (Shaytan) will lead them astray and excite in them vain desires, and bid them that they shall slit the ears of the cattle, and most surely I will bid them so that they shall alter Allah’s creation, and whoever takes the Satan for a guardian rather than Allah he indeed shall suffer a manifest loss.

In case you're wondering it's the "and most surely I will bid them so that they shall alter Allah’s creation" bit which gets interpreted into a complex set of rules over how people should look, which just so happens to coincide with social norms in the 10th and 11th century.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 22, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

thespaceinvader posted:

Gloomhaven is by FAR the best dungeon crawler boardgame, but it's also huge and expensive and a massive time sink.

If you want to have an idea of how Gloomhaven plays out, we're currently playing it in the LP forum https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877469!

Also everyone should play Galaxy Trucker if you want a casual, semicompetitive game that is a ton of fun; it's probably going to be a good simulation of the Dover port after brexit.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Also everyone should play Galaxy Trucker if you want a casual, semicompetitive game that is a ton of fun; it's probably going to be a good simulation of the Dover port after brexit.

The phone adaptation of Galaxy Trucker is probably the best Boardgame App that exists right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apostasy is weird in a religion that doesn't have a coherent central authority.

I mean I get that if your local imam doesn't like you that's a problem but it still seems a bizzare way to go about it, you'd think people would just tell the guy in the big hat to get bent if he started gobbing off too much.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1164569314969686016

What the gently caress is going on

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Apostasy is weird in a religion that doesn't have a coherent central authority.

I mean I get that if your local imam doesn't like you that's a problem but it still seems a bizzare way to go about it, you'd think people would just tell the guy in the big hat to get bent if he started gobbing off too much.

Well it's complicated, quran does have parts where it warns people about listening to others who say that some bits of it should be ignored. But one of the recorded sayings of Muhammed is that there will be at least 72 sects of islam after his death, and quran even approves of people practicing it in different ways, while it very much disapproves of any other prophecies after itself.

But anyway it's like with catholicism, you could talk about the pope and mass and bible in much the same way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

To combine two recent topics, I've been dating a muslim lately and it's a good way to stop drinking.

Also it's astonishing how little of what most people consider 'Islam' is actually in the quran, it's very much like e.g. bible and catholicism. The only two major things that are unambiguosly mentioned is praying towards Mecca and fasting for Ramadan, and even that's arguable if one wanted to go all protestant theologising.

As an example the beard thing comes from this verse:

In case you're wondering it's the "and most surely I will bid them so that they shall alter Allah’s creation" bit which gets interpreted into a complex set of rules over how people should look, which just so happens to coincide with social norms in the 10th and 11th century.
The drinking one is interesting, especially as you start getting more second and third generation Muslims in countries like the UK.

I've heard the whole gamut from:
• No drinking alcohol at all, no foods with alcohol, no going within 10 yards of a bar because they are unclean places.
• No drinking alcohol, but you can cook with it, going down the pub is okay for a lemonade.
• One drink is okay, because you can still legally drive, so you can't be considered intoxicated (definitely one with 10th century Levantine pedigree there).
• A couple of drinks is fine, it's actually a prohibition on drunkenness and drunken behavior, avoid distilled spirits though (despite inventing distillation).
• It's okay as long as you're not blackout drunk or a dickhead.
• Yeah I only do Ramadan :tinsley:.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Well it's complicated, quran does have parts where it warns people about listening to others who say that some bits of it should be ignored. But one of the recorded sayings of Muhammed is that there will be at least 72 sects of islam after his death, and quran even approves of people practicing it in different ways, while it very much disapproves of any other prophecies after itself.

But anyway it's like with catholicism, you could talk about the pope and mass and bible in much the same way.

The pope you sort of get cos there's a big institution centered around keeping the pope around and in charge. Whereas while protestants are lunatics they do like starting their own church with glossolalia and snake handling at the drop of a hat which I can sort of respect :v: Absenting the overarching politicization of it esp. in america it seems like the concept of getting kicked out of it is a lot harder.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It’s from 2016 but yeah

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Private Speech posted:

That's all from the Hadiths though, right? Which would certainly be part of scripture if the Quran worked like the Bible.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The drinking comes from a verse that boils down to "drugs, drinking, gambling and competitive darts/archery" can lead to sin. Interestingly quran does also mention that you should not be drunk while praying as well as rules about drinking in a few more places, so it's another one of those things that sortof depends on how you look at it.

Either way I stopped drinking because of her.

e: As for the hadiths, well sortof, but the problem is that there is no consensus on them whatsoever, at least beyond the fact that the vast majority of them were spurious (there's a lot of contradictory ones). Which ones then to accept depends on which flavour of islam you subscribe to. Look up "science of the hadiths" if you find it interesting.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 22, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

"drugs, drinking, gambling and competitive darts"
I can see why that guy didn't like pubs in general.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Wow, 110+ for a boardgame.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Rarity posted:

Go on then, I'm feeling masochistic. What's the argument for 'no'?

:decorum:

It's very rude to use the things people say against them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Watch a couple of reviews of Time Stories before you buy it. Shut Up and Sit Down cover the good and the bad.

I found it to be unmitigated shite that includes mechanics that exist for no reason than to stretch the one hour of "content" out to make it seem like maybe you didn't just throw away 30 quid. Also, if you're not a fan of stories based around mentally ill people being portrayed as monsters, there's little to enjoy in the scenario that comes in the base set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

"Why do we even have this counter?"