Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

Wow, 110+ for a boardgame.
The minis that come with the dark souls boardgame look pretty cool and I want them, but the game is £90 and apparently garbage to play.

E: did I post this one yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually what the gently caress is he sitting on,it's like an arm chair that someone took the arms off and then brass plated the sides of.

Is there no government building in the world with normal loving interior decor?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The minis that come with the dark souls boardgame look pretty cool and I want them, but the game is £90 and apparently garbage to play.

A guy at work loves Dark Souls and raves about it, got the board game and all the extras to go with it, and after two attempts to play (one at work, one at home) he put all the models in a shelf to look at and put the game bits in the attic and tried to forget about it. Not a good game.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Dead Goon posted:

Wow, 110+ for a boardgame.

It's also a 10kg box and 150h playtime for a full campaign, so it's kinda justified as far as consumerism goes.

E: speaking of Gloomhaven, there's a lot of kickstarter games with insane prices cause they come with a ton of miniatures though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tarnop posted:

Also, if you're not a fan of stories based around mentally ill people being portrayed as monsters, there's little to enjoy in the scenario that comes in the base set.
I'd read a story about a werewolf with bipolar who's prone to mania when a man and prone to depression when a wolf. Or a vampire with seasonal affective disorder. Or a succubus with agoraphobia. I suspect that's not what you mean though.

OwlFancier posted:

Actually what the gently caress is he sitting on,it's like an arm chair that someone took the arms off and then brass plated the sides of.

If you had free reign to do interior decor at a national institution would you go for normal or would you go for "what if sofas but on the wall?"

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

That Italian Guy posted:

It's also a 10kg box and 150h playtime for a full campaign, so it's kinda justified as far as consumerism goes.

E: speaking of Gloomhaven, there's a lot of kickstarter games with insane prices cause they come with a ton of miniatures though.

Just because I happened to be reading the kickstarter page but it says 4kg? Also that, depending on what country, it could be £50 shipping?!?!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Well it's complicated, quran does have parts where it warns people about listening to others who say that some bits of it should be ignored. But one of the recorded sayings of Muhammed is that there will be at least 72 sects of islam after his death, and quran even approves of people practicing it in different ways, while it very much disapproves of any other prophecies after itself.

But anyway it's like with catholicism, you could talk about the pope and mass and bible in much the same way.

the same thing exists in Judaism too, it's where the old joke "2 rabbis, 3 opinions" comes from

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

He's even wearing an overlong tie like Trump. Who the gently caress looks at that mushbrained fucknugget and aspires?

It's not really a Trump thing, it's a fat bloke thing to try and obscure the gut overhang, and a douchebag thing to point the tie at your dick. Given both Trump and Boris are fat philanderers there's bound to be a degree of convergent evolution.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If you don’t have a two finger gap between your belt buckle and the tip of your tie, you’re doing it wrong and look like a proper twat.

Trump and Boris are exemplary twats.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I don't think I even own a tie right now.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Pochoclo posted:

Just don't eat too many of them

Excess fiber can be really bad

I once ate nothing but bran flakes for 3 days, can confirm it is really bad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*that TCC post about pulling handfuls of compacted poppy seeds out of the butt but with more sultanas*

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

My experience with Islam and alcohol was at a BBQ in the middle of the Omani desert, where a lovely man who must have been objectively shitfaced based on his volume of intake, explained to me that it's being drunk that's haram and if you don't act drunk it's all good.

Interesting place, Oman.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's supposed to be a reversible partial GABA agonist, so no hangover, no blackout drunkenness no matter how many you take, and no boxing your liver.
There's a Drug Science podcast now and David Nutt mentioned in it that the effect of 'alcosynth' (or whatever lame name he's giving it) would max out at around the equivalent of around 2 cocktails, at which point I immediately lost all interest in it.

Aramoro posted:

The phone adaptation of Galaxy Trucker is probably the best Boardgame App that exists right now.
Carcassonne :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

There's a Drug Science podcast now and David Nutt mentioned in it that the effect of 'alcosynth' (or whatever lame name he's giving it) would max out at around the equivalent of around 2 cocktails, at which point I immediately lost all interest in it.
That depends entirely on the cocktail.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

That depends entirely on the cocktail.

Yeah 2 cocktails is a good buzz for me, and is probably the equivalent of about 5 pints. Some people just drink crap sugar water cocktails tho

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it really depends on the cocktail, if you're drinking Woo Woos or Sex on the Beach it's basically a double with juice which won't do much unless you're a massive lightweight

however something like Long Island Iced Tea which has 4+ different spirits in it can definitely gently caress you up a bit if you have 2 quickly, especially if you're somewhere where they free pour and you're on good terms with the bar staff :gritin:

e: on the subject of alcohol this sounds absolutely terrible

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

All the followers of Islam I know are drug dealers.

Good people :)

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Julio Cruz posted:

it really depends on the cocktail, if you're drinking Woo Woos or Sex on the Beach it's basically a double with juice which won't do much unless you're a massive lightweight

however something like Long Island Iced Tea which has 4+ different spirits in it can definitely gently caress you up a bit if you have 2 quickly, especially if you're somewhere where they free pour and you're on good terms with the bar staff :gritin:

e: on the subject of alcohol this sounds absolutely terrible

Actually that sounds good.

I had a pint of tangerine flavoured beer in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and it was v good

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Actually that sounds good.

I had a pint of tangerine flavoured beer in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and it was v good

:wrong:

it's like someone's looked at all the sickly fruit "ciders" available and thought "how can we make one that's even worse"

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Julio Cruz posted:

:wrong:

it's like someone's looked at all the sickly fruit "ciders" available and thought "how can we make one that's even worse"

I love me some super sweet fruit ciders, but I’ve got an incredibly sweet tooth so ymmv

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

OwlFancier posted:

You gotta have something that is as tacky as the 18th century room, in this case.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kassad posted:

You gotta have something that is as tacky as the 18th century room, in this case.

It's france they must have some equally tacky but thematically coherent old sofa or something. Like the queen's got a loving gold settee they must have a few of them around.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Aphex- posted:

He's gonna do what I did in secondary school once when I forgot to do some homework where I brought in a floppy disk I knew was already corrupted and feigned surprise when they checked it. "Ohhh noo... my homework that I totally did was on there..."

Hahaha, yuuup.

Took a random .dat file from some game, renamed it to 'English essay.doc' or whatever, they open it up and see loads of random characters. Or just the old empty disk.

Barry Foster posted:

I really enjoy day drinking but does anyone else get where you feel like absolute poo poo a couple of hours after a couple of pints? Like the hangover kicks in and you spend the rest of the day feeling muzzy and headachey

Is this called getting old?

I dunno if it's getting old, I had this happen to me when I was 22. Went on a ski trip with uni to France, and because we were all poor students, we took a coach ride which lasted |24 hours to get there from Stafford to Les Arcs. I think we set off at something like 4 or 5 am. This was of course going to be poo poo, so I and some others decided that it was a good idea to get through the journey by drinking. Some people started pretty much straight away, some only when we were on the ferry. I think I started at about 10am.

I had a couple of bottles of Raspberry Kick (tesco own-brand red bull) and 35cl bottle of vodka. I can't honestly remember how much of that I drank but it was more than half so at least like, 8 shots of vodka. I think I stopped drinking some time in the early afternoon, and by about 10pm the booze was wearing off and a waking hangover was starting to kick in. This nicely coincided with us starting to ascend into some mountains, and also the bus's heating was broken so it was only fully on or fully off and I was next to a heater. I've gotta tell you: It loving sucked, don't do that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just because I happened to be reading the kickstarter page but it says 4kg? Also that, depending on what country, it could be £50 shipping?!?!

Maybe they've managed to reduce the bulk in the third edition? Mine was 2nd and it defo was 10kg 9.8kg, it came in this box:

It's more or less the size of 4 Risk boxes one on top of the other :psyduck:

Also shipping was 10€ in my case, but as with everything kickstarter, your mileage may vary depending on the hub they're shipping from. GH had 3(4?) shipping hubs, the EU boxes have been shipped from Germany.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Maybe they've managed to reduce the bulk in the third edition? Mine was 2nd and it defo was 10kg 9.8kg, it came in this box:

Oh sorry I was confused and getting my big fat expensive board games muddled up, I was talking about dark souls.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The whole reason we have video games is so you don't have to bother with 10kg monstrosities.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Mango beer is delicious FYI

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Dark Souls boardgame is okay, but it needs tweaking to be less random equipment wise and grindy.

That said, I'm going to be selling my copy as soon as I can be bothered to photograph it, because it's not really what I wanted from a DS game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The whole reason we have video games is so you don't have to bother with 10kg monstrosities.

Luckily there's a Gloomhaven video game

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

WhatEvil posted:

Hahaha, yuuup.

Took a random .dat file from some game, renamed it to 'English essay.doc' or whatever, they open it up and see loads of random characters. Or just the old empty disk.

I am TELLING :catstare:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I found an untouched looking copy of Ticket to Ride for $2 in a second hand shop recently, should I play it or ebay it?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Unkempt posted:

I found an untouched looking copy of Ticket to Ride for $2 in a second hand shop recently, should I play it or ebay it?

Play it. It's fast, easy to play, and fun, if a little unbalanced. It's a good thing to have around like Love Letter for when you want to play board games with people who aren't expert board gamers.

Dixit's also good for that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Play it, then eBay it? It's a game with a good reputation, and playing it once or twice shouldn't damage it noticeably. Decide for yourself whether it's a keeper or not.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah ticket to ride is fun.

You should play it a few times for sure then ebay it if you're bored.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

WhatEvil posted:

Hahaha, yuuup.

This sort of really happened to me once using an early copy of Open Office from a PC magazine - took the doc into the lab to print it using Word and the top menu read "FUCK YOU M$ BITCH" and all the formatting was hosed which was a cool intro to FOSS

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Hahaha, yuuup.

When my dad was doing IT contracting he spent weeks chasing the client for some important file, and when it arrived it had that same corruption garbling.

Being a suspicious bastard, he spent a little time with a hex editor trying to coax it back into a usable format. The file began: lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Vlex posted:

My experience with Islam and alcohol was at a BBQ in the middle of the Omani desert, where a lovely man who must have been objectively shitfaced based on his volume of intake, explained to me that it's being drunk that's haram and if you don't act drunk it's all good.

Interesting place, Oman.

Interestingly this isn't complete bollocks, the Omani mostly follow an Ibadi tradition of Islam which adheres a lot closer to the letter of quran, paradoxically making it considerably more liberal.

e: What were you doing in Omani desert? Am a bit curious.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Unkempt posted:

definitely play it a few times, like Gort says it's a good intro game for new gamers

it doesn't have a huge amount of longevity though so you might get bored of it if you run out of newbies to use it on