Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's too hot out to do a proper poll
This poll is closed.
Yesterday you said you'd call Sears 27 9.57%
I'll call tomorrow 11 3.90%
You'll call now 12 4.26%
I'll Call Now 19 6.74%
Another Scorcher 72 25.53%
Cool 34 12.06%
What the hell is this crap? I'm just here for Bowsette 107 37.94%
Total: 282 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, please don't forget they patched in like an entire quarter finished monster hunter multiplayer mode into 15. SE had no goddamn idea what they were doing with it and lucked out that its as decent as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF15 gave us this and no matter what it's a net positive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv2DSmy3Tro

Edit: also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9PN8pzSn2Q

Barudak posted:

The beginning is good and the games disjointed, janky as hell roadtrip aesthetic sucks to like, play the entire middle of the game but the ending nails the feeling of why that sort of experience is meaningful to human beings who do that so people who finished the game were also happy.

In summary: FF16 should be given to Yoko Taro

I am subbing to FF14 like 66% because there's going to be a Yoko Taro-designed NieR raid

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I imagine an FF16 will be another swing at the action rpg complete mass appeal game but I do wonder what it would look like if they took a step back and made a 'classic' ff instead

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Barudak posted:

I mean, please don't forget they patched in like an entire quarter finished monster hunter multiplayer mode into 15. SE had no goddamn idea what they were doing with it and lucked out that its as decent as it is.

I never played this but it looked so bizarre

Relax Or DIE posted:

I imagine an FF16 will be another swing at the action rpg complete mass appeal game but I do wonder what it would look like if they took a step back and made a 'classic' ff instead

My pet theory is that FF16 will be a more back to basics style story and setting but with Kingdom Hearts style combat. They're never going back to turn based battles sadly

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Barudak posted:

i beg your pardon

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

One of the DLCs was Comrades and has you going around doing hunting missions with a create-a-character .

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was the fishing minigame VR spinoff any good?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also don't forget the entirely separate VR fishing game based on the minigame.

well gently caress me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MMF Freeway posted:

I never played this but it looked so bizarre

Every time someone mentions this I remember seeing some bits of it looking cool?

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1102292520619462657

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think SE is going to continue doing DQ is boring turn-based, FF is real-time-ish poo poo, and the spin-offs are where you get the turn based games with actual gameplay changes and possible innovations.

Or they'll just forget to ever make another FF game because FFVII part 3 is never happening.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every time someone mentions this I remember seeing some bits of it looking cool?

hah, that really does look like 50% monster hunter 50% mass effect 3 multiplayer. is that what final fantasy games are these days?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

E3 should prove that making a game look cool and making it fun are two very different things

It did look cool but it wasn't even half baked, like someone said it was quarter-finished at best. Just kinda hacked into 15.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

hah, that really does look like 50% monster hunter 50% mass effect 3 multiplayer. is that what final fantasy games are these days?

I mean, if you mean mainline games as of the end of this year it will be the only one released this decade so by default its what all mainline final fantasy games are currently like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

Final fantasy games aren't really anything "these days" because they take like 6 years to make now and Square has so much internal turmoil every project is an insane mismanagement.

15 went through like 5 different redesigns. They don't know what they want.

13, 13-2 and 13-3 were all pretty different in how they were designed.

14 was a gigantic disaster that got remade completely into 14 ARR which is actually good.

Square is a mess now. (but still capable of making art)

E: Remember that 15 was originally supposed to be "Versus 13".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am somehow looking forward to the FF7 remake after seeing the gameplay in action but who knows how it'll actually turn out

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just want another Final Fantasy IX, is that so much to ask? :(

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

No, though you could ask for one of the better ones

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Devil May Cry 5 is kind of bad y'all. I'm playing it on gamepass right now and while I loved this franchise and bought all the other games, this ain't right. Bring on Bayonetta 3.

Rarity posted:

Well, yeah, I mean look at the track record for sequels in the rest of the franchise. I'm even leaving my massive personal bias against IX out of this one, because seriously have you read the setup story for FFX-3?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rarity posted:

another big final fantasy gaiden: four heroes of light fan, welcome

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The FF13 games are god drat fascinating at worst and incredible at best (hello Lightning Returns).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

The FF13 games are god drat fascinating at worst and incredible at best (hello Lightning Returns).

Same but I like plain 13 the most and Lightning Returns the least.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

Well, yeah, I mean look at the track record for sequels in the rest of the franchise

FFX-2 called, it said gently caress you

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Devil May Cry 5 is kind of bad y'all. I'm playing it on gamepass right now and while I loved this franchise and bought all the other games, this ain't right. Bring on Bayonetta 3.

How is it bad? It's an improvement over 3 and 4 in every way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

I am somehow looking forward to the FF7 remake after seeing the gameplay in action but who knows how it'll actually turn out

I feel like this game actually has the potential to bomb. Square-Enix has an uphill battle convincing people to go in on this game because 1.) it will not be the complete story releasing next year, and 2.) Square-Enix was honest at E3 that the 2nd half will take just as much time to complete development. People are looking at a 3 - 5 year wait for the 2nd half. That is a very tough sell.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

counterpoint it's going to be the best selling game of whatever year it comes out because the generation who played it when they were 12 think it's the greatest jrpg ever created and now are adults either with disposable income or with a desperate need to forget the fact that they have no disposable income by playing videogames from when they were 12

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
DMC5 has super bad load times but everything else is... good.

It's kinda frustrating on PSpoor

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 22, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WaltherFeng posted:

DMC5 has super bad load times but everything else is... good.

Not on glorious PC it doesn’t!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

exquisite tea posted:

Not on glorious PC it doesn’t!

Its sorta frustrating because the reason being they wanted super fancy menu screens instead of a level select screen with a static image.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The weirdest FFXV DLC was when they added a whole multiplayer only expansion pack that was just Monster Hunter.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
give me final fantasy dlc for dq builders please

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's been covered. Moving on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I said come in! posted:

I feel like this game actually has the potential to bomb. Square-Enix has an uphill battle convincing people to go in on this game because 1.) it will not be the complete story releasing next year, and 2.) Square-Enix was honest at E3 that the 2nd half will take just as much time to complete development. People are looking at a 3 - 5 year wait for the 2nd half. That is a very tough sell.

The FF7 Remake is as likely to bomb as Avengers Endgame was

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well it's worth dwelling on for how ridiculous it was. Since they looked at MonHun, which people love bc every weapon feels like this unique action game unto itself, and just made a game that was like watching a youtube video of people playing Monster Hunter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

The FF7 Remake is as likely to bomb as Avengers Endgame was

Exactly.

And honestly iterating on XV's gameplay and putting in a good solid story (7 isn't perfect but will do nicely, especially with the nostalgia factor) is what I want them to do right now.

XV had some good ideas but the execution was a mess. It tried to be too many things and then they had to rush something out the door to justify all the money they wasted.

Starting fresh with the same technology and using a very clear and very popular existing story should hopefully focus them enough that they manage to deliver something fun.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gonna buy aps4 to coincide with the complete edition of ff7r. Wasn't interested in the og, but I'll give this one a shot.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
What is with the IX hate I've been seeing recently?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

on the XFL: i'm not so wedded to ideology that i'd ignore the NFL if it were entertaining to watch, but it's not, at all. there's room for a football league that actually lets a catch be a catch, allows players to hit the QB and cover wide receivers, isn't swamped with three-minute minimum replay reviews, doesn't have a flag thrown every three players, and so on. so with all that in mind, it's dumb as hell that the XFL is trying to compete with the NFL based on politics. the amount of people who quit watching pro football because of kneeling is remarkably small. also, they're not letting in any player with criminal records, which i'd say is even worse than the "no kneeling" thing. it's destined to fail after one season (again)

on the FF7 remake: i've been saying for years that i don't trust today's Square to make a decent remake. i think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in it when they play. how they'll be disappointed, i'm not sure. i just think people will be, and not just in a "this isn't the game i grew up with" way

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Disposable Scud posted:

What is with the IX hate I've been seeing recently?

I know, hosed up

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
FF9 has terrible battle music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
FF9 is the best FF of 7-8-9.