Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sarcopenia posted:

Happy to hear that. I've just been uncomfortably surprised one time too many by youtubers.

Ever since I sat through a good one on the Sawney Bean legend by Count Dankula, then learned about the rest of the stuff he's been up to, I'm very cautious with what Youtubers I watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

M_Sinistrari posted:

Ever since I sat through a good one on the Sawney Bean legend by Count Dankula, then learned about the rest of the stuff he's been up to, I'm very cautious with what Youtubers I watch.

TBH the name should have tipped you off.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
please don’t watch dankula

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

KozmoNaut posted:

TBH the name should have tipped you off.

For how long I used to go by a username so goth pretentious it farted bats to the music of Bauhaus, I don't judge usernames unless they're blatant warning signs like ones with racial slurs and worse. But, yeah, I avoid Dankula.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Azathoth posted:

True, but the kind of videos that The Golden Gael is referring to have voiceovers that are pretty bad (at least the VOX ones I've listened to are) and Morgan Freeman is so good that he could read a Markov bot take on a topic and it would be better.

There's this whole style of internet video that is overproduced and completely amateur, with a mediocre script, read by a disinterested voice actor, on a topic that seemingly no one involved in production process cares at all about, yet is coming from a source that can and should do better, VOX just being one of the many offenders.

I suspect it's something like how wikihow used to pay a pittance to someone to write an article based on whatever was being searched, and they throw just enough at it to make it look professional at a glance. I'd rather listen to a hundred amateur passion projects than one of those.

This is exactly what I meant. Morgan Freeman is a seasoned professional, whereas most of the VICE-tier personalities are overbearing, not genuine, or not the right fit for the subject matter. I sometimes like to listen to movie trivia videos and usually it seems like the bigger outlets are just hiring nobodies to read the IMDb page rather than getting someone who can at least pretend to be interested.

As I go into producing my third video I'm troubled that I haven't done a story that focuses on women involved in offbeat poo poo. I was thinking of investigating the whole "South Korea was just run by a cult for the last decade" thing.

The Golden Gael has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Aug 21, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the History Nerd. His nerdy voice suits the subject matter

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brawnfire posted:

Between that, their bones stretching, and being unable to sleep until maniacally tired, yeah I'm amazed they have good moods at all.

wait, is that supposed to stop

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Pirate Radar posted:

please don’t watch dankula

dank i am the one

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Back when I first got into Casefile I thought the narration was really interesting and different from standard true crime fare and I discovered that the episodes that tended to make me think that were written by Anna Priestland and Eileen Ormsby. It’s fascinating what a different tone that sets, how “man reading a script about crime written by women” comes across very different to “man reading script about crime written by himself.” The combination of anonymous host + female writers and researchers seems to give Casefile a more empathic and victim-focused approach.

Not to get all :biotruths: about women being more empathic because FEELINGS, just that when the topic of your podcast is frequently “women being horribly murdered” there is a marked difference between how women discuss it vs men.

Wow, I just learned this right now! No wonder it stands out so much.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

The Golden Gael posted:

This is exactly what I meant. Morgan Freeman is a seasoned professional, whereas most of the VICE-tier personalities are overbearing, not genuine, or not the right fit for the subject matter. I sometimes like to listen to movie trivia videos and usually it seems like the bigger outlets are just hiring nobodies to read the IMDb page rather than getting someone who can at least pretend to be interested.

As I go into producing my third video I'm troubled that I haven't done a story that focuses on women involved in offbeat poo poo. I was thinking of investigating the whole "South Korea was just run by a cult for the last decade" thing.

Fact Fiend does a fair amount of movie trivia and isn’t insufferable.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cineflix is alright

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Today’s my birthday but the terrible news train keeps rolling :toot:

In 2018, a woman in Columbus, GA beat three men in a rap battle. They responded thusly (she survived somehow):

The defendants faced two counts each of aggravated assault, aggravated sodomy and aggravated sexual battery, and one count each of rape, aggravated battery, kidnapping, hijacking a motor vehicle, second-degree arson, using a firearm to commit a felony, possessing cocaine and possessing a misdemeanor amount of marijuana.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

That’s two times they couldn’t beat the rap.

hope they die in jail, but of old age.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/BehrouzBoochani/status/1164401595422920705

For a bit of background. Australia recently passed a law saying that prisoners in our offshore concentration camps are to be flown to Australia for medical treatment as it isn't available where we imprison them.

Peter Dutton, the politician with probably the greatest role - at least in recent times - in trying to deny help to these people is really mad at the idea of treating them as human. He has been doing everything in his power to make sure they are never brought to Australia.

Peter Dutton

One way they're trying to make sure that our victims are never able to use the medevac laws to come to Australia for treatment is by abusing them so much that they'd rather return to their home countries to die than continue to be tortured indefinitely. As that thread above shows they're ramping up the efforts on this front lately.

Needless to say this isn't really making news here in Australia. We really are a garbage country.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

This has been loving with me since it was posted.

Some seriously disgusting poo poo.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Terra-da-loo! posted:

This has been loving with me since it was posted.

Some seriously disgusting poo poo.

It's even worse than I gathered from the charges. They set her on fire. Don't read if you're sensitive.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Jury deliberation took about 2 1/2 hours. Correct me if I’m wrong but that seems fairly quick given the number of charges they had to decide on. I’m guessing the evidence against them must have been pretty overwhelming.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

christmas boots posted:

Jury deliberation took about 2 1/2 hours. Correct me if I’m wrong but that seems fairly quick given the number of charges they had to decide on. I’m guessing the evidence against them must have been pretty overwhelming.

They all confessed to cops that they were there but all pointed the fingers at each other about who was the biggest sadistic piece of poo poo, whereas the victim said they were all willing participants.

Their own defense attorneys during closing arguments posted:

two of the defense attorneys asked the jury to find their clients guilty only of aggravated assault, and the third said the man he represented was only a witness to the horrific 2014 attack.

Looks like the jury told them to gently caress off with the "we only kinda participated in the rape and torture" bullshit and believed the victim.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

:vince:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Inceltown posted:

https://twitter.com/BehrouzBoochani/status/1164401595422920705

For a bit of background. Australia recently passed a law saying that prisoners in our offshore concentration camps are to be flown to Australia for medical treatment as it isn't available where we imprison them.

Peter Dutton, the politician with probably the greatest role - at least in recent times - in trying to deny help to these people is really mad at the idea of treating them as human. He has been doing everything in his power to make sure they are never brought to Australia.

Peter Dutton

One way they're trying to make sure that our victims are never able to use the medevac laws to come to Australia for treatment is by abusing them so much that they'd rather return to their home countries to die than continue to be tortured indefinitely. As that thread above shows they're ramping up the efforts on this front lately.

Needless to say this isn't really making news here in Australia. We really are a garbage country.

From one citizen of a former penal colony of the British to another, welcome to the Empire. Murkah and Straya bffs 4 lyfe

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-49430857

Vegans raise child on vegan diet, the usual loving happens.

:smith:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Everything I hear about Australian politics makes the whole place sound more racist than America, and that's not a comforting thought

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Randaconda posted:

How are adult vegans who think you can eat like that even still alive

E: not an attack on vegans, they fed her pretty much exclusively carbs

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bertrand Hustle posted:

How are adult vegans who think you can eat like that even still alive

E: not an attack on vegans, they fed her pretty much exclusively carbs

Honestly, I almost think the veganism is incidental. Yeah, it's the specifically the avenue they abused her through, but fundamentally it's not that different from the Christian Science stuff we were talking about earlier in the thread. Seems like a very similar mentality underlying it all.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also

18 months is an insanely short sentence for how much damage that poor baby will have the rest of her life

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Randaconda posted:

There are definitely ways to raise a child meat-free, but feeding them only oatmeal, rice, and potatoes is definitely not it. They had two other kids raised properly, then I guess the mom had some serious post-partum issues, but they should be getting more than 18 month sentences for child abuse. Ugh. Even if the mom was severely depressed, the dad went along with it.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Everything I hear about Australian politics makes the whole place sound more racist than America, and that's not a comforting thought

After the Auckland shooting, news outlets in Australia and New Zealand ran with the theory that it’s American racism that influenced him. Which makes sense if you ignore things like Aborigine and Māori rugby players getting bananas thrown at them; murders of tourists and immigrants hushed up to not affect that sweet, sweet Hobbit tourism money; and island gulags of indigenous populations forced to live with none of natural resources they need because their land was worth more for mining.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Can we please not do the “which country is the most racist” thing? There’s plenty of racism to go around.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Well I didn't get a piece last time and if they take away my red Swingline stapler I'll set the building on fire

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Well I didn't get a piece last time and if they take away my red Swingline stapler I'll set the building on fire

Look, Helen in payroll had a problem with the new system, but you’ll get twice the racism next week, I promise.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Everyone, everywhere are poo poo. Australia just has less people so it's spread thin and news doesn't have the reach.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I never trust Australians because they have winters in the summer and summers in the winter. Shifty southside bastards.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I never trust Australians because they have winters in the summer and summers in the winter. Shifty southside bastards.

I hear that they have upside-down dicks. P f’d up if true

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Like America, it very much varies by which part of the country you're in.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Solice Kirsk posted:

lmfao winters. It's going to be 23ºC/75ºF tomorrow and that is a slightly warm winter day for Sydney.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

See, that's weird. Fuckin' weird rear end place man.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Depressio111117 posted:

Just found out my aunt's friend who has been missing for a couple of days was murdered by her husband. He cut her in half, getting ready to dispose of her body. My aunt and her boyfriend interrupted him after he'd cut her up but before he managed to hide her.

I imagine I'll be posting the story in this thread fairly soon.

:whitewater:

I'm like two hundred pages behind in this thread and probably won't catch up because weirdly my taste for the unnverving has dried up over the past couple of years (who could ever guess why), but I have follow up on this.

These are my aunt's recollections of the crime scene. General warning about graphic description of a murder victim - it's Bundy-esque. Also I don't know why she wrote the beginning of this like it's a creepypasta but that's boomers for ya I guess.

ETA: News article for the curious.

Depressio111117 has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Aug 23, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tourist falls to death after lightning knocks him off Tatra mountains peak

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Very ugly laugh.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Watching Forensic Files (Sign Here s7 e43) and the husband had a body pillow of his mistress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whitlam posted:

Like America, it very much varies by which part of the country you're in.

as in some places are overtly racist, and other places are overtly racist, but pretend they're not racist?