Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

I love how that whole thread is basically, "This is why you should commit tax evasion and you're so stupid if you haven't."

Sometimes I feel like you people don't understand the point of bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The Bitcoiner's Dilemma: You either go with the regulated exchange with access to the US financial system but they follow AML/KYC laws and report you to the IRS or you go with the sketchy overseas exchange that will eventually be blacklisted from the US financial system, doesn't follow KYC/AML laws, won't report you to the IRS, and might just steal your money at some point because they know you wouldn't be dealing with them unless you were doing something illegal.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

There Bias Two posted:

I love how that whole thread is basically, "This is why you should commit tax evasion and you're so stupid if you haven't."

I'm gonna enjoy hearing about the tax evasion hearings where Bitcoiners realize that their Reddit posts about duping the feds are easily findable.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/kait_zilla/status/1156235460315897857

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
plenty of exchanges and schemes have looked scummier than that and still fleeced idiots just fine, give it a chance

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

xtal posted:

Sometimes I feel like you people don't understand the point of bitcoin
Oh, I think we get it pretty well.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Speaking of shady af exchanges. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/quadriga-collapse-lawyers-accountants-fees-approved-1.5231677

No, there's no body he just disappeared died ok

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You can never die if you upload your soul to blockchain.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Paladinus posted:

You can never die if you upload your soul to blockchain.

You can actually become like 16 people if the soulchain forks a bunch of times after you do

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
odd question I havent read the whole thread.

I see Bitcoin is crazy high right now.

But last I heard all the darknet drug markets were busted or the CIA has broke TOR.

So what is keeping the price high? Is it china?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
My guess is weakened real currencies

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
tether pumping. There's been 2 billion tethers issued since April.

it's pretty clearly manipulation, because this false bubble is showing negligible retail interest

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"the fed just prints money!!1"

*wash trades with billions of imaginary dollars*

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Ups_rail posted:

But last I heard all the darknet drug markets were busted or the CIA has broke TOR.

Ten people will give you ten different answers. The reality is no one knows for sure.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Ups_rail posted:

Lol

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Okay back when I really followed bitcoin and this was loving years ago the market was small enough that you could see spike just before the weekend like people were getting ready to party. Then silk road went down etc.

I wont ask for any names but are you lol at dark markets or CIA

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Ups_rail posted:

Okay back when I really followed bitcoin and this was loving years ago the market was small enough that you could see spike just before the weekend like people were getting ready to party. Then silk road went down etc.

I wont ask for any names but are you lol at dark markets or CIA

both

neither of those things are true, where did you hear/read that?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
CIA agents outing themselves right before our eyes

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

divabot posted:

tether pumping. There's been 2 billion tethers issued since April.

it's pretty clearly manipulation, because this false bubble is showing negligible retail interest

To elaborate on this, Bitfinex, one of the bigger exchanges, has issued their own cryptocurrency Tether.

They've kinda sorta promised that each Tether is backed up by assets and redeemable for a dollar each, originally supposed to be backed by actual dollars but now just other crypto assets. They also have repeatedly promised public audits while issuing billions of Tether, but that has yet to materialize.

Bitfinex is literally printing Bitfinex Funbux with nothing to back them, and buying up all kinds of crypto on their exchange with it. This is compounded because other exchanges allow Tether to be traded and it's become a way to exchange dollar value between various exchanges without needing to cash out to actual currency.

tl;dr there's a massive bubble because one of the exchanges is pumping the price to remain solvent and the other big exchanges don't want to pop it by looking too hard at Tether.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Azathoth posted:

To elaborate on this, Bitfinex, one of the bigger exchanges, has issued their own cryptocurrency Tether.

They've kinda sorta promised that each Tether is backed up by assets and redeemable for a dollar each, originally supposed to be backed by actual dollars but now just other crypto assets. They also have repeatedly promised public audits while issuing billions of Tether, but that has yet to materialize.

Bitfinex is literally printing Bitfinex Funbux with nothing to back them, and buying up all kinds of crypto on their exchange with it. This is compounded because other exchanges allow Tether to be traded and it's become a way to exchange dollar value between various exchanges without needing to cash out to actual currency.

tl;dr there's a massive bubble because one of the exchanges is pumping the price to remain solvent and the other big exchanges don't want to pop it by looking too hard at Tether.

The other exchange benefit from tether, just less so than bitfinex.

The real losers are the ones who put actual money into the system.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

There's a second image of 580s from a different maker, 9 of them. It's probably safe to guess that these were cooked while mining for crypto, right? I know they're not really $1, but I'm guessing they'd be for a suspiciously low price if I asked and I'm assuming this is why.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

HerniaFlange posted:

There's a second image of 580s from a different maker, 9 of them. It's probably safe to guess that these were cooked while mining for crypto, right? I know they're not really $1, but I'm guessing they'd be for a suspiciously low price if I asked and I'm assuming this is why.
Usually the 5xx series cards and nvidia 10 series cards aren't wrecked by mining.

Although with AMD it varies because people flash the cards and do dumb stuff sometimes. "Smart" miners undervolted so they should be in better condition than gaming cards, but I wouldn't put money on some guy with 9 rx580s being smart.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Khorne posted:

Usually the 5xx series cards and nvidia 10 series cards aren't wrecked by mining.

Although with AMD it varies because people flash the cards and do dumb stuff sometimes. "Smart" miners undervolted so they should be in better condition than gaming cards, but I wouldn't put money on some guy with 9 rx580s being smart.

Huh, okay. I sent a message, I guess it can't hurt to ask. Thank you!

Edit: They want $150 each, used for mining for 4 months, and were all flashed. I'm guessing I'm better off just spending the extra and buying new when the time comes.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 12, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HerniaFlange posted:

For sale: graphic cards, never gamed.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ups_rail posted:

The darknet drug markets are like the hydra & there has been no serious downtime since dread pirate Roberts started the first silk road

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Khorne posted:

I remember the 2017 crypto mining thread on these very dead gay forums. You'll be loving amazed to know that crypto miners treat their cards like poo poo, and if there's a way to wreck them they totally will.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-12/china-s-pboc-says-its-own-cryptocurrency-is-close-to-release?srnd=premium

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
china already has a social media based currency though?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AkumaHokoru posted:

china already has a social media based currency though?
But is it backed by math?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Maybe we should stop focusing on currency backed by math like some STEMlords? How about a currency backed by philosophy? Or gastronomy?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
weed coin

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

HerniaFlange posted:

Edit: They want $150 each, used for mining for 4 months, and were all flashed. I'm guessing I'm better off just spending the extra and buying new when the time comes.

Haha no, new ones were going for less than that when I last checked and they came with a decent game bundle.
He'd be lucky to get 80 normally, but we all know some suckers are gonna buy them anyway :smith:
AMD cards are terrible at holding value, at least that guy admitted to flashing the BIOSes. Not all do.

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

weed coin

420 pot coins please; thank you *hands over 3 dollar bill*

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The Bahamas used to have a three dollar bill. It was predominantly pink. Make your own joke.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I guess the lunatic/crypto enthusiast Overstock CEO was finally shown the door by the board today, I saw that he resigned.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Norton the First posted:

I guess the lunatic/crypto enthusiast Overstock CEO was finally shown the door by the board today, I saw that he resigned.

and the stock went up 10%

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Norton the First posted:

The official reason is that he's a political nutjob and not just a financial one (something about the "Deep State" and a romantic entanglement with Maria Butina, the NRA Russian Agent lady), and the company is leaning in on the path he set:

CNN posted:

"We respect and understand Patrick's reasons for resigning and acknowledge his momentous achievement in taking Overstock from a startup twenty years ago to one of the nation's leading online retailers and positioning it at the forefront of the blockchain revolution," Allison Abraham, the chair of Overstock's board, said in a statement.
Overstock (OSTK) is broadly known as an e-commerce site for snagging furniture, decor and appliances on the cheap. But for months Byrne has worked to turn Overstock into a venture focused on blockchain, the technology behind cryptocurrencies like bitcoin.
The company still plans to aggressively pursue blockchain business opportunities. Jonathan Johnson, the president of Overstock-owned blockchain company Medici Ventures, will serve as interim CEO.

"I am confident Overstock's future -- both in retail and blockchain -- is bright," Johnson sad in a statement.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Yond Cassius posted:

The official reason is that he's a political nutjob and not just a financial one

that venn diagram is a perfect circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The actual reason appears to be an ongoing SEC investigation into shenanigans regarding OSTK trading.

also, you know how he's not CEO and is not on the board? guess what, he can sell from his considerable holding any time he likes!!