Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Switch to offline mode? (Sorry I don't remember exactly how and I'm on a phone)

E: this is exactly what you want:

https://m.wikihow.com/Work-Offline-in-Mozilla-Firefox?&ampcf=1

I did try that and it was only giving me error page or that index page. Would the index be overriding the one that I want? Would it possible to go past into an older cache?

Edit: the stuff has been officially posted so not urgent but if there was a workaround for older caches I’d be curious though I suspect the answer is no

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Hey.

A friend of mine found these old german things at home and I'm curious about what it is:

Anyone know what? I tried googling some of the text but nothing came up for me. Maybe there's a better thread for this?

Thanks in advance

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
A nazi dollar bill

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsmark

e: 1940-1945 so about as nazi as it gets. Worth almost nothing, pretty neat though.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 21, 2019

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Why do some people drop "the" when speaking?

For example: "I'm going to market" instead of "I'm going to the market."

I've heard people do this with different words. I once talked to someone who would never put "the" in front of "doctor," so she would say things like, "Doctor told me I should take this," or "I went to doctor yesterday," etc.

I'm wondering about people who seem to be native English speakers, not someone learning the language.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

where are you? that is not something i’ve encountered in the northeast or the south. :confused:

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
I'm in Florida. Doesn't happen too often, so it's always kind of jarring when it does.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Maybe some arbitrary influence from constructions like "I'm going to hospital/school".

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've heard that most often in rural areas. My assumption is that it's simply part of a/many regional dialect(s) and people aren't doing it intentionally.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

Why do some people drop "the" when speaking?

For example: "I'm going to market" instead of "I'm going to the market."

I've heard people do this with different words. I once talked to someone who would never put "the" in front of "doctor," so she would say things like, "Doctor told me I should take this," or "I went to doctor yesterday," etc.

I'm wondering about people who seem to be native English speakers, not someone learning the language.

One of the big markers between American and British english is "go to the hospital". In American english we use that whether we're going to the hospital or just visiting, whereas in British you drop the 'the' if you're going as a patient. But yet American english makes that distinction with something like church ("going to church" vs "going to the church").

I'm not claiming there's a relationship or similar reasoning behind your examples, but there is some fungibility with 'the'. And really, if anything, I'd probably expect an ESL to be using 'the' more than necessary since a lot of other languages are much more extensive with articles than we are.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

One of the big markers between American and British english is "go to the hospital". In American english we use that whether we're going to the hospital or just visiting, whereas in British you drop the 'the' if you're going as a patient. But yet American english makes that distinction with something like church ("going to church" vs "going to the church").

I'm not claiming there's a relationship or similar reasoning behind your examples, but there is some fungibility with 'the'. And really, if anything, I'd probably expect an ESL to be using 'the' more than necessary since a lot of other languages are much more extensive with articles than we are.

Not to really argue your point but no-one in Britain to my knowledge would really need to say "go to the hospital" - if you're talking in first person you'd say you're thinking of going to A&E, and other people might say "you need to go to A&E" or "you need to go to hospital"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Why is it becoming a thing for youtubers to so aggressively edit their videos so that as they end one sentence, it instantly skips to the next? It sounds so unnatural and weird.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why is it becoming a thing for youtubers to so aggressively edit their videos so that as they end one sentence, it instantly skips to the next? It sounds so unnatural and weird.

~*~The Algorithm~*~

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CzarChasm posted:

Probably this boot camp is going to be a waste overall. Having an IT career as a plan B is not a bad idea, but without either experience or at least a 2 year degree, you're only going to be getting entry level jobs: Call centers, basic repair stuff and the like. And some repair shops will really want some form of certification for repairs. The TOSCA cert sounds like it's a QA thing, and that's fine, but a cert alone won't bring much to the table in terms of job hunting.
Thanks. I'm deciding not to go with this particular boot camp. My IT mentor has a several-week course in (pick on of these dozen major cities) for IT past TOSCA training. I'll see if that (or IDEXX) works.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Leal posted:

~*~The Algorithm~*~

That and it's generally because they're bad at doing single takes (or feel they're bad at single takes) and try to have their "best sections" spliced together. Some people might have started doing it as a stylistic choice mind you but I don't know what videos you watch so I can't say for certain.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tesseraction posted:

That and it's generally because they're bad at doing single takes (or feel they're bad at single takes) and try to have their "best sections" spliced together. Some people might have started doing it as a stylistic choice mind you but I don't know what videos you watch so I can't say for certain.

The one that set off the question was this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnoF2pNBahc

It has other crimes in it too - a weird instagram filter so it's all bright and glowy, too much focus on the dude and not on his bird, etc. But it's like, pal, don't make your video so disjointed.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Is there a simple (and free) way to backup and copy commercial DVDs to protect them from children and their nasty hands? Googling it is hard, mostly just gets a bunch of softwares trying to sell themselves. And yes, I do realize it's 2019.

Also is there a quick Q & A thread in like SH/SC? I didn't see one.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Not the answer you're looking for, but I realised that it was much easier and quicker to torrent :files: for dvds I legally owned, than to rip them myself.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Tesseraction posted:

Yes it is the way to quickly make a video with minimal retakes. So many of those people are trying to put out videos very rapidfire, no time to do a whole reshoot of some lines with proper posing for a smooth edit.

It is like how many music videos have frequent cuts to maximize usable footage, since they're often on tight budgets but using expensive equipment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

The one that set off the question was this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnoF2pNBahc

It has other crimes in it too - a weird instagram filter so it's all bright and glowy, too much focus on the dude and not on his bird, etc. But it's like, pal, don't make your video so disjointed.

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Yes it is the way to quickly make a video with minimal retakes. So many of those people are trying to put out videos very rapidfire, no time to do a whole reshoot of some lines with proper posing for a smooth edit.

It is like how many music videos have frequent cuts to maximize usable footage, since they're often on tight budgets but using expensive equipment.

This video is a perfect example - a bird is definitely not going to behave on camera, so the best way for the video to not look unintentionally hilarious is to edit it to hell.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tesseraction posted:

Not to really argue your point but no-one in Britain to my knowledge would really need to say "go to the hospital" - if you're talking in first person you'd say you're thinking of going to A&E, and other people might say "you need to go to A&E" or "you need to go to hospital"

Yes they would, in the case that both speakers know which hospital is being referred to or it's a recurring topic. Dupersaurus is also right that "I'm going to hospital" has a fixed connotation that you are the one that is sick, "I'm going to a hospital" is ambiguous, and "I'm going to the hospital" is also ambiguous but mostly used in the context of visiting somebody else who is sick, but also when it's a recurring topic when you are sick.

Man, you can really deep dive on the most banal poo poo in language and it's kinda interesting. I've never even really considered the differences in nuance.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jeza posted:

Yes they would, in the case that both speakers know which hospital is being referred to or it's a recurring topic. Dupersaurus is also right that "I'm going to hospital" has a fixed connotation that you are the one that is sick, "I'm going to a hospital" is ambiguous, and "I'm going to the hospital" is also ambiguous but mostly used in the context of visiting somebody else who is sick, but also when it's a recurring topic when you are sick.

Man, you can really deep dive on the most banal poo poo in language and it's kinda interesting. I've never even really considered the differences in nuance.

Maybe it's a regional thing, then? I just don't think I've heard the phrase even with a family who love being goddamn sick. Midlands, FWIW.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Tesseraction posted:

Maybe it's a regional thing, then? I just don't think I've heard the phrase even with a family who love being goddamn sick. Midlands, FWIW.
When you were a kid, did you 'go to school'?

Jeza posted:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

When you were a kid, did you 'go to school'?

Yes, and if I wanted to pull a sickie and couldn't convince my parents they would not tell me to "go to the school"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tesseraction posted:

Yes, and if I wanted to pull a sickie and couldn't convince my parents they would not tell me to "go to the school"

Yeah, that fits with the general idea being put across. Going to school, going to hospital etc. are locations wrapped up with their purposes, so to it pretty stringently means you're going there to get better or be taught. Attaching the definite article splits this mixed-meaning, so you're specifically going to the location, presumably for another purpose.

So when you were a kid and your parents were discussing between them about going to talk to your teachers about your unfair grades, would they say to one another: "I'm going to school to sort this out." or "I'm going to the school to sort this out."

If the former, then I guess there really is a regional element to it. But to me the former sounds weirdly ambiguous, as if they need to hit up evening classes in order to deal with the situation.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Tesseraction posted:

Apologies: I got confused with the replies and thought you were on the other side of the fence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jeza posted:

Yeah, that fits with the general idea being put across. Going to school, going to hospital etc. are locations wrapped up with their purposes, so to it pretty stringently means you're going there to get better or be taught. Attaching the definite article splits this mixed-meaning, so you're specifically going to the location, presumably for another purpose.

So when you were a kid and your parents were discussing between them about going to talk to your teachers about your unfair grades, would they say to one another: "I'm going to school to sort this out." or "I'm going to the school to sort this out."

If the former, then I guess there really is a regional element to it. But to me the former sounds weirdly ambiguous, as if they need to hit up evening classes in order to deal with the situation.

To be honest this is a hard one to answer because they'd say "I'll speak to Barry Teacher" or "I need to speak to Sally Headmaster" but then my ma was a teacher so she was in the ecosystem.

Either way this isn't a hill I'm planning on dying on any time soon so I'll concede I might just live in a weird bubble that's meant I've not heard a common phrase.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

For me it was always how regular it was. Im go to school everyday, i need to head to the school for drivers ed. Im going to the dentist/ the doctor/ the dmv.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jeza posted:

this is really weird to me because if its an elementary school my brain prefers "going to school" if its a student talking but "going to the school" if its a parent or even a teacher.

but if its a high school or college its just "going to campus" regardless of who is saying it

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Earwicker posted:

this is really weird to me because if its an elementary school my brain prefers "going to school" if its a student talking but "going to the school" if its a parent or even a teacher.

but if its a high school or college its just "going to campus" regardless of who is saying it

Weird. I’ve never heard anyone omit “the” when talking about a specific campus be it corporate or educational.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I'm trying to find a specific drink i used to drink when i was a small child.
I lived in the northern part of India, in uttar pradesh, in the late eighties, early nineties.
I remember when I was playing with one if the kids on the street, we used to get this drink.
It was sweet, almost like burnt caramel.
It was an instant drink, can't remember if it was served hot, with granules looking like instant coffee.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I've been getting itchy insect bites on my right foot even though I wear socks 24/7 and shoes whenever I go outside. Oftentimes I don't discover them until they're already small and red (and I'm guessing old). Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Human Tornada posted:

I'm thinking of a somewhat famous album cover most likely from the 90's or early 00's that has a mosaic or patchwork look to it with a big heart off-center. Anybody know it?

Here, I did a crummy drawing on my phone, the colors aren't quite right.

So, uh, if anybody remembers this post, I never figured it out, but today I was driving and saw a spare tire cover (!) that had this very design printed on it. The word "lost" is there and it says "found" inside the heart, but I still wasn't able to come up with anything on Google. What is this thing?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

So, uh, if anybody remembers this post, I never figured it out, but today I was driving and saw a spare tire cover (!) that had this very design printed on it. The word "lost" is there and it says "found" inside the heart, but I still wasn't able to come up with anything on Google. What is this thing?

It's a little off topic for them, but I bet someone in the "What's the name of that song" thread could tell you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Its Coke posted:

I've been getting itchy insect bites on my right foot even though I wear socks 24/7 and shoes whenever I go outside. Oftentimes I don't discover them until they're already small and red (and I'm guessing old). Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Check for bed bugs.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

vuk83 posted:

I'm trying to find a specific drink i used to drink when i was a small child.
I lived in the northern part of India, in uttar pradesh, in the late eighties, early nineties.
I remember when I was playing with one if the kids on the street, we used to get this drink.
It was sweet, almost like burnt caramel.
It was an instant drink, can't remember if it was served hot, with granules looking like instant coffee.

It wasn't Postum, was it?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I was thinking instant chicory maybe.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Its Coke posted:

Are you certain that they are insect bites? Just on one foot makes me think that it's either a contact dermatitis or (perhaps even more likely) a fungal thing, but I am not a physician, so take that into account. You might try wiping down the inside of your shoes with an alcohol swab, and wear new socks for a while. Also wash your socks in hypoallergenic detergent and give them a double rinse. If that doesn't help, it might be good to see a podiatrist who can diagnose it for you.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I don't want Facebook to have my phone number (on account of privacy), but they're forcing me to put a mobile number "for security purposes"

Is there a way to get around this? If I add my number, is it possible to remove it?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't want Facebook to have my phone number (on account of privacy), but they're forcing me to put a mobile number "for security purposes"

Is there a way to get around this? If I add my number, is it possible to remove it?

Google voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Facebook never forgets.