Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I don't think cats can sweat, might be something medical going on. Not a vet, I don't really know anything, etc, but it just seems strange that they would develop BO without an underlying cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Yeah, desert cat instincts are my best guess. I guess my friends cats are just less weird. She also loves drinking out of the terlet and looks really guilty whenever I catch her.

Pictured below: la chatte lunatique

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cats are majestic and...

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Rude!

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Sydin posted:

Mel will only lick water off of berry cartons. You know, like those plastic cartons that a serving of strawberries come in. I'll wash the berries in the carton to make the whole thing wet, and then once I've eaten the berries I'll put it down my desk and Mel will spend equal parts chewing as hard as she can on the plastic and licking the residual water off it. idk but it makes her happy so :shrug:

Strawberries are related to catnip. :science:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Our dog is getting really old now and my mother is considering adopting a pair of kittens in the future instead of getting another dog/pair of dogs. But we used to have a cat and we mostly remember how much a pain the litter was. Even if he wasn't tracking litter around, there'd always be a bit under his paws. Were we just dumb/ignorant and could've gotten better litter or is it just something cat owners just have to tolerate?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Argas posted:

Our dog is getting really old now and my mother is considering adopting a pair of kittens in the future instead of getting another dog/pair of dogs. But we used to have a cat and we mostly remember how much a pain the litter was. Even if he wasn't tracking litter around, there'd always be a bit under his paws. Were we just dumb/ignorant and could've gotten better litter or is it just something cat owners just have to tolerate?

We've had dozens of cats over several decades and have never had a problem with litter tracking. It may have just been the particular kind you were using.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
It can also be the cat sometimes. I know basil has gotten better but he tracked litter everywhere when he was 3months old. Now he just kicks it everywhere because he dumb. That being said, we use the arm and hammer stuff, whatever comes in the weird 42lbs combo pack at BJs and it’s been fine, improving overtime as basil has gotten older. If it was just Peach we’d have 0% tracking outside the pad in front of the box.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Litter box location may play a role, as well. We keep the litter box at the back of a bathroom, about 8' from the door. We do sweep up a bit of litter from the tiled floor when we change it, so they are tracking a bit out of the box but little of it gets beyond the bathroom.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The only time I've had issues with litter tracking is if the litter is in a bad place or the cat is getting elderly. Our litterboxes are currently all in a closet with a cat door on it, and I just vacuum/mop in that closet once a week. We've also got one in the bedroom for the new kitten, and at first I had one that was too small which created issues, but now that we replaced it with a larger one it's fine.

Give them ample room to poop and a little buffer space to wipe their paws and it generally shouldn't track to the rest of the house. You still need to vacuum/mop more often due to hair and hairballs, but that's pretty much universal for dogs and cats.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Re: BO - that's really weird, nth-ing the vet suggestion. But maybe cat just rolled in their litter box; Toaster always likes to lay in the largest one I've got so I have to be vigilant about keeping it clean or he gets Stinky.

They make leave in cat shampoo; I use it for Lucky sometimes if he rolls in the mud or dirt on walks and it works fine. It always makes him smell like baby powder and look like a white Jolteon until it's evaporated.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

We have a cat genie and I swear that litter sticks to everything and manages to get everywhere even when Neela doesn’t fling it everywhere like a maniac. I just live with vacuuming the apartment every other day or so, if not daily. I live in an urban shoebox so it isn’t too much work.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

FelicityGS posted:

They make leave in cat shampoo; I use it for Lucky sometimes if he rolls in the mud or dirt on walks and it works fine. It always makes him smell like baby powder and look like a white Jolteon until it's evaporated.

We need to see this white Jolteon. For science :catbert:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The only time I've had issues with litter tracking is if the litter is in a bad place or the cat is getting elderly. Our litterboxes are currently all in a closet with a cat door on it, and I just vacuum/mop in that closet once a week. We've also got one in the bedroom for the new kitten, and at first I had one that was too small which created issues, but now that we replaced it with a larger one it's fine.

Give them ample room to poop and a little buffer space to wipe their paws and it generally shouldn't track to the rest of the house. You still need to vacuum/mop more often due to hair and hairballs, but that's pretty much universal for dogs and cats.

Seconding the litter box size consideration especially with bigger cats. I was finding tiny clumps of litter all over the bathroom including up the walls and even once on the ceiling. The cat in question didn't have enough room to maneuver in the box and on completion of transaction he would occasionally plant a hind leg in the uncured piss rock and squat down until he started flashing like Luigi in Super Mario Bros. 2 then launch himself with a super jump out of the litter box with such velocity he must've briefly passed through another dimension before materializing on the other side of the house. This process would explode the still soft urine geode like a frag grenade leaving all the humans in the house in astonishment at the subsequent mess.

Getting a larger litter box took care of it. Still haven't heard back from the local university about the feline inter-dimensional travel thing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sounds like a litter box with a lid or side entrance only would also help in that situation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We had to stop using the Roll and Sift litter box once we realized Bean was too chunky to fit all the way. She would end up pooping right outside the box because her butt didn't fit right.

She's struggling with her diet still. We haven't found any toys that can really keep her active and she's so vocal about the reduced food portions I feel bad

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Len posted:

We had to stop using the Roll and Sift litter box once we realized Bean was too chunky to fit all the way. She would end up pooping right outside the box because her butt didn't fit right.

She's struggling with her diet still. We haven't found any toys that can really keep her active and she's so vocal about the reduced food portions I feel bad

If she eats dry food, get an automatic feeder and let her meow at that!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spikes32 posted:

If she eats dry food, get an automatic feeder and let her meow at that!

Usually I talk back and explain she's on a diet and that we still love her and I pet her until she gives up and glares at me from across the room.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Len posted:

Usually I talk back and explain she's on a diet and that we still love her and I pet her until she gives up and glares at me from across the room.

You do know you're rewarding the fuss, yes? If it ever gets genuinely tiresome, you might try ignoring her completely and obviously. I recommend going to another room, facing away from her, and singing. Loudly. Preferably a song she doesn't like :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pellet litters track less than finer grained litters. Top entry litterboxes help get more litter off their feet before they go scurrying off because they have to climb up and down first before they flee the poop ghosts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TofuDiva posted:

You do know you're rewarding the fuss, yes? If it ever gets genuinely tiresome, you might try ignoring her completely and obviously. I recommend going to another room, facing away from her, and singing. Loudly. Preferably a song she doesn't like :)

Look man, she's letting me pet her, let me have this

Also I'm not the one who feeds her that's my fiancee so she's not getting any food from me

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The nightly standoff

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Yeah, desert cat instincts are my best guess. I guess my friends cats are just less weird. She also loves drinking out of the terlet and looks really guilty whenever I catch her.

That’s because condensation and toilet water are always fresh. Make sure to refill your water bowls and fountains with fresh water every day.

uh oh sisters

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 22, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I adopted a cat a week ago.

Is it normal that she follows me to the bathroom and takes a dump while I'm using the toilet? I mean I'm glad we're friends, cat, but that's a little weirdly too intimate. I thought cats liked some privacy but not this dork.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pellisworth posted:

Is it normal that she follows me to the bathroom and takes a dump while I'm using the toilet? I mean I'm glad we're friends, cat, but that's a little weirdly too intimate. I thought cats liked some privacy but not this dork.

Lmao

Like 8 times out of 10, my girl cat comes into the bathroom when I'm taking a poo poo and demands to be petted. First she stands up to stretch on the sink cabinet and gets a few butt scratches and then she gets between my legs and puts her front paws on the only bit of toilet seat showing and looks up at me while meowing until I scratch her butt some more.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pellisworth posted:

Diagnonsis: Cats are fkin weird. It's terminal.

I hear mine scratching in the litter box when I'm in the can too, then they come over and stare at me, but out of reach for petting. As long as she's making GBS threads on the box when this happens and not on the floor next to you, NBD really.

Also, cat pics aren't loading.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This is Wojapi (Wojo for short). The name is the Lakota word for a dark plum pudding, I live on a reservation and so far everyone has laughed and said that's a cute name.

She's a little under a year old, was mostly an outdoor/barn cat. She's been absolutely housing food and put on quite a bit of weight in the last week, she was skin and bones and underweight when I got her.

Extremely friendly and pretty vocal, she chirps/trills whenever she jumps on/off something. She pretty much wants to be in my lap or snuggled near me 90% of the time. Wojapi is a very small cat, I doubt she'll get much larger. Mostly black with brownish streaks and white patches under her chin and armpits. Legpits?

She's got a bit of discharge from her eyes the vet commented it might go away in another week or two. Could be allergies or maybe an infection.

she's smol

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 22, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Louis is obsessed with people peeing. He spends much of his time hiding under the bed, but if someone’s peeing in the bathroom nearby he comes out to investigate.

He’s also notorious for peeing on the bed if we leave town for too long, if his box isn’t immaculate, etc.

What I’m saying is our smallest cat is a little piss pig.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Is there a reliable list of flowers that are poisonous for cats? I want to get my friend a flower bouquet, but I don't want to kill her cat.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

interrodactyl posted:

Is there a reliable list of flowers that are poisonous for cats? I want to get my friend a flower bouquet, but I don't want to kill her cat.

I think lilies are the big one, something about the pollen sticking to their airways if I remember correctly.

baby :3:
I have the fluffy version, which makes her look less tiny.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

interrodactyl posted:

There's a list here:

https://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/poisoning-toxicity/e_ct_poisonous_plants

Regarding bathroom etiquette our cats will follow my wife into the bathroom or go investigate if they see her go in there. They only do this to her alone and sometimes go in for pets and other times just sit there and stare at her. I think it's pretty hilarious, her not so much. As for the poop ghost: It is real. I know because I had bad curry once.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Louis is obsessed with people peeing. He spends much of his time hiding under the bed, but if someone’s peeing in the bathroom nearby he comes out to investigate.

He’s also notorious for peeing on the bed if we leave town for too long, if his box isn’t immaculate, etc.

What I’m saying is our smallest cat is a little piss pig.

better that than a scat cat

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Aleta usted to get poop anxiety and I'd have to at least sit on the toilet, or she would just meow pitifully and not actually go. Thankfully, she seems to be mostly over that now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

All my cats are obsessed with being in the bathroom if someone is using it. Just a few days ago our kitten jumped in the toilet while I was mid-stream.

Pretty sure he's learned not to do that again. How many of you can say you've peed on your cat?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

All my cats are obsessed with being in the bathroom if someone is using it. Just a few days ago our kitten jumped in the toilet while I was mid-stream.

Pretty sure he's learned not to do that again. How many of you can say you've peed on your cat?

I can. My old cat Smoke would occasionally stand with his paws on the toliet seat as I pissed. One time he put his head in too far...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Salem likes to walk in front of me at the toilet and flick his tail dangerously close to the stream.

Thankfully I don't think I've actually pissed on him yet.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Alright y'all, I hope you have some ideas.

This is Ceres (left) and Neptune (right).

Both of these cats belong to my mother (I do not live locally, but I was the one who originally adopted Ceres). She's had Ceres (female, 5 yr old) for about 3 years, and Neptune (male, 2 yr old) for about 1 year. They took quite a while to tolerate each other.

For a long time, Neptune was exclusively using a small litterbox in an upstairs bathroom, while Ceres used a litterbox in the laundry room. Starting around three-ish months ago, Neptune started to use the downstairs litterbox too. Now Ceres goes on the floor near the litterbox or in the nearby kitchen.

We've tried:
  • She took Ceres to the vet, and nothing appears out of the ordinary. No urinary infection and the bloodwork all came back fine.

• Adding more litterboxes. There's now four litterboxes spread around the house. Neptune uses all of them and Ceres uses none.

• Putting down "puppy pads" where she goes outside the litterbox. Ceres will sometimes use them, but sometimes not. My mother tried putting the pads back in the litterbox(es) and Ceres won't go on them.

• Cleaning the spots that she uses with enzymatic cleaners of multiple different brands.

• She's tried picking up Ceres and putting her in the litterbox if she catches her not using it, but the two cats are alone for a large fraction of each day. We've tried spraying her with water and even putting her poop back in the litterbox to try and associate the smell. No luck.

• She hasn't changed the litter brand, she's done multiple thorough deep-cleanings of the litterboxes, and Neptune covers his own droppings adequately (despite only having three legs).

To me, it seems likely that Ceres feels invaded by Neptune and can't bring herself to go in the same place he does. But it's been months, the two of them coexist okay otherwise, and mom can't keep cleaning cat poo poo off the kitchen floor for the next 10+ years.

Does anybody have any ideas? I feel like we've tried everything, and we don't want to get rid of either of them.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Luneshot posted:

Adding more litterboxes. There's now four litterboxes spread around the house. Neptune uses all of them and Ceres uses none.
In a multi-story house, you need at least 2 litterboxes per floor if you have 2 cats. See this post for a bunch of factors that can impact litterbox usage.

Luneshot posted:

Putting down "puppy pads" where she goes outside the litterbox. Ceres will sometimes use them, but sometimes not. My mother tried putting the pads back in the litterbox(es) and Ceres won't go on them.

She's tried picking up Ceres and putting her in the litterbox if she catches her not using it, but the two cats are alone for a large fraction of each day. We've tried spraying her with water and even putting her poop back in the litterbox to try and associate the smell. No luck.
These seem counterproductive. Stop. Don't try to redirect the cat to eliminate somewhere other than where you want it to. And never spray a cat with water or put it in the litterbox when it's eliminating incorrectly. Try to think like a tiny-brained mammal. The cat will learn two things:

1. it must never let the humans catch it peeing/pooping, or it'll be punished
2. the litterbox is a place of punishment

Luneshot posted:

To me, it seems likely that Ceres feels invaded by Neptune and can't bring herself to go in the same place he does. But it's been months, the two of them coexist okay otherwise, and mom can't keep cleaning cat poo poo off the kitchen floor for the next 10+ years.

Does anybody have any ideas? I feel like we've tried everything, and we don't want to get rid of either of them.
You didn't mention how often the boxes are scooped, but make sure they're scooped at least once a day. You also didn't mention the litterbox styles, but check the above linked post because some cats have drastically different preferences on wall height/litter depth/covered or not/etc.

Things I would try:
  • add at least one more litterbox per floor (with a different style of box - try bigger, uncovered, with only an inch or so of litter in the tray) in a new location
  • if using a litter like silica or something really dusty, try something more mainstream with less dust like SmartCat, especially if the boxes are covered or in small rooms
  • move boxes if any of them are near something noisy or in an awkward spot
  • scoop more often
If all else fails:
  • separate the cats during the day, giving Ceres her own space with her own litterbox and everything, and see if she uses it then

Do not punish the cat or react if you catch her eliminating in the wrong place. Cats are the worst and will absolutely learn exactly the wrong thing from your reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Toaster jumped into a piss toilet before I could flush in his sheer excitement for it being breakfast time.

(usually the toilet lid is closed)

(he's much more cautious about jumping on the toilet now)

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Do not punish the cat or react if you catch her eliminating in the wrong place. Cats are the worst and will absolutely learn exactly the wrong thing from your reaction.

also extremely this