Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All of the takeoff distance calculations in the C152's POH are for short field technique using 10 degrees of flaps. A normal takeoff is specified as using 0 to 10 degrees of flaps. Empirically I find that take offs with flaps are very pleasant as the plane just pops right off the ground with almost no back pressure.

It seems like a bunch of advantages and no downsides. What is the advantage to taking off with zero degrees of flaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Zero flap takeoffs generally exchange a shorter takeoff distance for better second segment climb.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Zero flap takeoffs generally exchange a shorter takeoff distance for better second segment climb.
This.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Some drama in my old stomping grounds:

Dash 8 hits two wildebeest and kills them. No human casualties, definitely an uncommon accident.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hey if anyone needs an OK headset and electronics project for pretty cheap, buy my old assed DC H10-13X. It's ANR (but not great), takes a 9 volt battery which is weird, has undercut ear seals and a thick rear end head pad and had the mic boom broken off when my bag got crushed in the back of a hotel van. Some gentle soul sold this to me insanely cheap back in 2005 so it's pretty old but it's built like a tank and should last a long time yet. A new dome from david clark is like 13 bucks and should be an easy fix for someone handy. Offer me something! I don't care! Pay for shipping!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

St_Ides posted:

Some drama in my old stomping grounds:

Dash 8 hits two wildebeest and kills them. No human casualties, definitely an uncommon accident.

That picture of a collapsed landing gear could give anyone at bombardier a heart attack.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

One time I had to run down the runway and scare off some cows that were grazing on it before takeoff, then run back as fast as I could before they wandered back on as the pilot waited for me to throttle up a C150. When we landed we had to buzz the runway once to scare them off again. But then the Mexican Marines happened to be nearby and thought we were drug smugglers so they rushed us with M16s out as we stopped.

Rural Mexican aviation is always fun in surprising ways.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

That picture of a collapsed landing gear could give anyone at bombardier a heart attack.

Nah plenty of Dash-8s have collapsed their gear, that’s a pretty standard configuration for them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Supposedly thats been fixed though!

But is Bombardier even responsible for Dash-8 maintenance anymore now that they sold off/recreated DHC?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
They fixed the issue that broke all the SAS planes, but there's also a design flaw that can cause the airplane to basically retract one of the main gear legs if it lands with a flat main tire.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Pryor on Fire posted:

Rural Mexican aviation is always fun in surprising ways.

More stories.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Had my first gliding lesson today. It went pretty ok. Except the instructor ballooned hugely on landing and smacked the ground half a dozen times like the airfield owed him money. Genuinely amazed I didn't leave with a back injury. Lol.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Carth Dookie posted:

Had my first gliding lesson today. It went pretty ok. Except the instructor ballooned hugely on landing and smacked the ground half a dozen times like the airfield owed him money. Genuinely amazed I didn't leave with a back injury. Lol.

Our club's ASK-21 has experienced couple landings hard enough to damage the plane with no issues for the pilots. And couple years ago during landing competition I did a steep enough landing on a SZD-51-1 that the flare did nothing and I didn't even experience any kind of aching.

What glider did you use?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Saukkis posted:

Our club's ASK-21 has experienced couple landings hard enough to damage the plane with no issues for the pilots. And couple years ago during landing competition I did a steep enough landing on a SZD-51-1 that the flare did nothing and I didn't even experience any kind of aching.

What glider did you use?

Grob 103 twin. I got shaken around the cockpit despite being thoroughly strapped down. It didn't hurt or anything, just surprising how rough it was. The glider was undamaged.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Captain Apollo posted:

More stories.

Not sure this counts as "rural" but https://youtu.be/1eXT5IHLkF8

As far as personal stories my first flight as a captain ended with a night IMC arc to final VOR approach into Querétaro. They don't have radar below 20'000' but they do have mountains up to 14'000'.

We also had a bleed issue during cruise so I had to call maintance about once we landed. I got to spend 10 minutes getting yelled at by Mexican customs to get off the plane while simultaneously getting yelled at by our maintenance guys to stay on the plane and finish the logbook. Good times.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I flew solo for the first time :toot: :wooper:

It's been a long time since I took the first demo flight due to a variety of factors (suffice it to say it's important to be honest with yourself and respect the S and E of IMSAFE) but time doesn't matter. The weather was perfect, the flight was rad, the landings didn't break the plane or set off the ELT, and none of it felt like I was unprepared. I've wanted to fly a plane since I was a little kid and finally I can :toot:

Yay

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

It's been a long time since I took the first demo flight due to a variety of factors (suffice it to say it's important to be honest with yourself and respect the S and E of IMSAFE) but time doesn't matter. The weather was perfect, the flight was rad, the landings didn't break the plane or set off the ELT, and none of it felt like I was unprepared. I've wanted to fly a plane since I was a little kid and finally I can :toot:

Yay

gently caress yeah, congratulations!

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yay
Goongrats! :toot: Solo flights are a ton of fun!

Now you can must officially go around cracking pilot jokes!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sagebrush posted:

Yay

I’ll never ever forget my first solo. It’s a feeling most people will never experience and you got to feel it.

Congratulations :cheers:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Thanks all! It feels really good. Can't wait to get up there again... And now the schedule is way more open :woop:

cigaw posted:

Goongrats! :toot: Solo flights are a ton of fun!

Now you can must officially go around cracking pilot jokes!

What are some good ones?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Thanks all! It feels really good. Can't wait to get up there again... And now the schedule is way more open :woop:

What are some good ones?

"Livin' the dream"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

Yay

Congratulations, it just keeps getting better and more fun from there!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

"Livin' the dream"

This hits too close to home right now.

Not for students, if those students are concerned about their rate of progress: When is it acceptable to get pissed off about a collection of students who are making no progress? Any one individual would be fine, but I need flight test recommendations to get a raise, and I want to fly something other than a 172, and in the past month I've missed out on two flight test recommends from students whose instructors left and got transferred to new instructors, and training a guy on his own 182 (also he's close to his CPL flight test), because my schedule is full of "rust removers," casuals who fly once a week if we're particularly lucky, and people who are just making no goddamn progress and every time I think I see some light at the end of that loving tunnel we nearly have a runway excursion or whatever and I have to take control urgently. I get that we don't really get full control over our students, but I really feel like I've been hosed by my schedule, it's been 13 months now (even if I'm only working four days per week, not full time) and I've sent two people on flight tests. The student I started most recently has leapfrogged everyone else and is now a few cross-countries away from flight test prep, so I don't think it's just me.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
It sounds like you should talk to your boss about it now. Tell him you're looking to progress and you don't think your current student load gives you the opportunity to obtain the requirements for it. Explain to him what's going on with your problem students and how you're attempting to handle it. The key here is to show your boss that you're actually doing the right things and that your lack of sign offs is not an accurate indicator of your performance as a cfi.

Or you could just find a new job and quit. It worked out ok for me.

PT6A posted:

I really feel like I've been hosed by my schedule

I nominate this as the new thread title.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

KodiakRS posted:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

KodiakRS posted:

not an empty quote

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

I really feel like I've been hosed by my schedule.

One of us! One of us!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KodiakRS posted:

It sounds like you should talk to your boss about it now. Tell him you're looking to progress and you don't think your current student load gives you the opportunity to obtain the requirements for it. Explain to him what's going on with your problem students and how you're attempting to handle it. The key here is to show your boss that you're actually doing the right things and that your lack of sign offs is not an accurate indicator of your performance as a cfi.

Or you could just find a new job and quit. It worked out ok for me.

My bosses are pretty understanding in terms of allowing me to do advanced training and, in theory, be approved to train people on their own aircraft, which I’m in theory not supposed to do until I upgrade, the problem is just that my schedule is dogshit and I can’t fit in any more new students without ditching old ones or getting them finished. I’ve got three quite close to being done at this point, and a fourth only slightly behind, so it’s really not so bad, but yesterday was a particularly poor day for me as I flew with three of my more demoralising students, and I found out I didn’t get the guy with his own 182, nor the Mooney owner who wants an instrument rating, and the newest instructor got a successful flight test recommend.

I don’t even particularly want to ditch any of my students, because they’re all nice people and I enjoy working with them the majority of the time, they’re just murdering my current career goals. But other instructors have worse cases so I don’t want to bitch too much. To quote Joe Walsh: I can’t complain but sometimes I still do.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

:discourse:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

I can’t complain but sometimes I still do.

If you’re not complaining about something are you even a pilot?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

e.pilot posted:

If you’re not complaining about something are you even a pilot?

What's the difference between a jet pilot and a jet airplane?

An airplane stops whining when the engines shut down.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been in CYUL for one day in August and I want to move here.

Should I move from NC to CAnada?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Montreal is the best city in Canada so probably you should yes

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rolo posted:

Go back in February and ask yourself this again.

yeah Montreal owns

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Montreal is the best summer city those french canadian girls wearing shorts riding around in their bicycles dang
:captainpop:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Hired at Alaska today. Woop woop!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

What's the difference between a jet pilot and a jet airplane?

An airplane stops whining when the engines shut down.

:dadjoke:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

I don’t advise it. I lived there three years and I wouldn’t do it again. However, I still love to visit. Ultimately it’s one of those places which is much nicer to visit than to live in.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Hired at Alaska today. Woop woop!

Nice!

Did they say how long you'd be stuck commuting to SFO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Second gliding lesson today. Unexpectedly put in control while on aerotow. Nerve wracking as hell when I have actual gliding experience measured I minutes. Just as I was getting used to it on low tow the instructor tells me to put it in high tow. I did it, but very much didn't want to since there was a touch of turbulence pulling the nose up as it was, and I'd been doing some reading about such things as "tug upsets" and although I trust the instructor and tug pilot not to let it happen, I don't want to accidentally do it. I felt much better once I was allowed back into low tow. Did the release and gear up for the first time and basically everything until landing checks. I liked flying it better than the grob too. Maybe it's supposed to be "twitchier" and harder to learn on than the grob but I preferred the faster and lighter control response. A deployable landing gear is NBD.

A much better experience all around than last week. Much better instructor and I hope I get him again. I've got some time off soon so hopefully I can line up a few days in a row. I'd like some nicer weather to experience some thermalling soon too. Also just the chance to think a little bit, since the flights being short makes things kind of hectic.

Edit: also discovered that last week when I showed the recording of the horrifically bouncy landing by my instructor to a spectator, turns out the dude I showed it to was the senior flight instructor/club/governing body auditor/rep. Oops.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 24, 2019