Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Honky Dong Country posted:

Here you go!

Oh God I'm Way Over My Demesne Limit Fuuuuuuuuuuuck
Also known as "Just how does this bullshit work anyway?: The Post"

Thank you for this post, it's super helpful!

I'm still very new and have been alternating between base game and the GoT mod, and ran into a problem in the latter: through weird luck and then one perfect assassination, I inherited all of the Seven Kingdoms plus some overseas holdings. This has put me well over both my demesne and vassal limits (like 23/4 and 71/48, respectively), and I'm not really sure how to resolve it. Making new vassals is grayed out for most counties, and I can't, say, give all of Dorne to my favorite Martell, because as far as the game is concerned my favorite Martell already has all of Dorne and is my vassal. Is there something different I have to do if my vassal limit is too high as well, or am I misunderstanding this process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

tzirean posted:

I'm still very new and have been alternating between base game and the GoT mod, and ran into a problem in the latter: through weird luck and then one perfect assassination, I inherited all of the Seven Kingdoms plus some overseas holdings. This has put me well over both my demesne and vassal limits (like 23/4 and 71/48, respectively), and I'm not really sure how to resolve it. Making new vassals is grayed out for most counties, and I can't, say, give all of Dorne to my favorite Martell, because as far as the game is concerned my favorite Martell already has all of Dorne and is my vassal. Is there something different I have to do if my vassal limit is too high as well, or am I misunderstanding this process?

I have no idea about anything concerning mods, my dude. I just play vanilla with the various dlcs. However, I notice that you're saying that create new vassal is greyed out for most counties. Are you trying to do this with the capital holding in that county? Because that won't work. You can only use that button on non-capital holdings. If that's not your hold up I'm clueless.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

tzirean posted:

Check that favorite dornishman. Does his opinion of you have a modifier that reads something like 'so and so count is my rightful vassal!' Because if so he is the legal ruler of dorne but all of the people IN dorne are actually swearing fealty and paying taxes directly to you which counts against your vassal limit. If you transfer vasslage of those lords and ladies to your dorne guy you keep on taking in tax indirectly but only the main dorne guy will count against your vassal limit, might be the problem here.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I have no idea about anything concerning mods, my dude. I just play vanilla with the various dlcs. However, I notice that you're saying that create new vassal is greyed out for most counties. Are you trying to do this with the capital holding in that county? Because that won't work. You can only use that button on non-capital holdings. If that's not your hold up I'm clueless.

I'll try when we have power back. GoT works almost identically to base game in a lot of ways, and I do think demesne and vassal are one of them. Thank you!

reignofevil posted:

Check that favorite dornishman. Does his opinion of you have a modifier that reads something like 'so and so count is my rightful vassal!' Because if so he is the legal ruler of dorne but all of the people IN dorne are actually swearing fealty and paying taxes directly to you which counts against your vassal limit. If you transfer vasslage of those lords and ladies to your dorne guy you keep on taking in tax indirectly but only the main dorne guy will count against your vassal limit, might be the problem here.

Likewise, will check.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

tzirean posted:

Making new vassals is grayed out for most counties, and I can't, say, give all of Dorne to my favorite Martell, because as far as the game is concerned my favorite Martell already has all of Dorne and is my vassal. Is there something different I have to do if my vassal limit is too high as well, or am I misunderstanding this process?

You can create new vassals for city and temple holdings, I'm actually not sure if you can for barons. You can directly land people for lordships/high lordships. Typically you should give each county to a different person to avoid superdukes (unless you want to stir up trouble for a lord paramount, then you can give someone all the counties in a high lordship and transfer the vassal so they have to deal with it). It's not a bad idea to land your extra sons or daughters if you can set up matrimarries, or other family members.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
How do "cultural bonds" alliances work? We had a successful Byzantine crusade and now the empire is split into a whole bunch of kingdoms, but I noticed most of them seem to be allied with that cultural bond flag. I don't think I've seen it anywhere else

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

jerman999 posted:

You can create new vassals for city and temple holdings, I'm actually not sure if you can for barons. You can directly land people for lordships/high lordships. Typically you should give each county to a different person to avoid superdukes (unless you want to stir up trouble for a lord paramount, then you can give someone all the counties in a high lordship and transfer the vassal so they have to deal with it). It's not a bad idea to land your extra sons or daughters if you can set up matrimarries, or other family members.

You can for secondary baronies, just not for the county capitol if its a barony

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well after a couple false starts, I've managed to get the crown of Erie on Murchad. He's 51. I could probably scoop up most of the rest of the Island before he dies, but I feel like that could be a quick way to destabilize what I've already got (especially because one of my counties is a heresy stronghold.)

My goal is to have the Island unified by the time the Crusades start happening.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If you're king of Ireland you should be able to diplo vassalize the rest of the island no problem. As long as you're near your demesne limit the additional vassals shouldn't be an issue.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a best upgrade or 2 for the grand university?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

KDdidit posted:

Is there a best upgrade or 2 for the grand university?

If its in your main county (or any county where you have multiple upgraded baronies) the +10% levies building (watchtower network?) is very nice

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

GHOST_BUTT posted:

It's the one where your wife is demanding weird poo poo to eat. Your options are a hare's head, a quail's foot, or a fish's eye, which can give harelip, clubfoot, or ugly, respectively, to your future child; or you can just let her eat whatever she wants which gives her glutton. It's a pretty common pregnancy event.

e: it's kind of a bummer of an event because there isn't really a good outcome, but pound for pound letting your wife (or yourself) be a glutton is probably the most optimal choice under the circumstances. The rest give hereditary traits which are going to take forever to breed out, glutton you can get rid of via societies.

How likely are choosing those events to cause negative traits?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

Judging by how many harelips I got in my family without realizing what was going on, I'm gonna say pretty likely.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

I want to say that, stock, it's something nuts like 70%? Notable exception gluttonous, which is guaranteed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Huh. I'd been handing out the quail's legs like marshmallows and never gotten a club-footed child.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. I'd been handing out the quail's legs like marshmallows and never gotten a club-footed child.

I got two in a row!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

I'll try when we have power back. GoT works almost identically to base game in a lot of ways, and I do think demesne and vassal are one of them. Thank you!

Likewise, will check.

So I'm probably dumb, because I couldn't get this to work no matter what I tried. I ended up just picking people at random and Granting Landed Title (less at random when I remembered that elevating unlanded people increased my vassal count).

It might be something with the GoT mod, but it's probably just me. I've been considering doing a central or eastern Europe game next, any suggestions for good leaders that will give me more opportunity to improve at this?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Whoever owns Prague/Bohemia at your chosen starting date?
Pretty much the best land in the European sphere. Having 5 castles worth of personal levies with your capital bonuses and tech levels is.. interesting.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sauer kraut posted:

Pretty much the best land in the European sphere. Having 5 castles worth of personal levies with your capital bonuses and tech levels is.. interesting.

I tend to think Flanders is the best European start

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Stupid sexy Flanders

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

fired at the exact same time

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

oddium posted:

fired at the exact same time

medieval feeder fetish

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

medieval feeder fetish

Oh c'mon, now that you've said this, "Medieval Feeder Fetish Simulator 1066" (or similar) just needs to be in the thread title! :D

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Oh c'mon, now that you've said this, "Medieval Feeder Fetish Simulator 1066" (or similar) just needs to be in the thread title! :D

Medieval Furry Feeder Fetish Simulator 1066

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Medieval Furry Feeder Fetish Simulator 1066

Good point; I'd forgotten about the Animal Kingdoms mode

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A good thing about getting all those dlcs last month and not having much of an idea what’s in them is being pleasantly surprised getting a bloodline all of a sudden. Thanks Sons of Satan or whatever group I’m high priest of! All I really ever do is abduct and sacrifice people though, hardly merits being the high priest. The fabrication bonus seems cool.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

KDdidit posted:

A good thing about getting all those dlcs last month and not having much of an idea what’s in them is being pleasantly surprised getting a bloodline all of a sudden. Thanks Sons of Satan or whatever group I’m high priest of! All I really ever do is abduct and sacrifice people though, hardly merits being the high priest. The fabrication bonus seems cool.

For funsies when you're the head of the Satanists go down their entire member list and try to vassalize every one you can.

They will all say yes.

Seriously when you're the boss of the Satanists you're the loving boss.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the Karling princesses is almost always a member of the satanists in the 867 start, for some reason

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Randaconda posted:

One of the Karling princesses is almost always a member of the satanists in the 867 start, for some reason

Because Satan's your cool homie that'll regrow your dick and balls and all he asks in return is that you spend the rest of your life with a hunch in your back and maybe gently caress a satyr periodically.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Because Satan's your cool homie that'll regrow your dick and balls and all he asks in return is that you spend the rest of your life with a hunch in your back and maybe gently caress a satyr periodically.

He also lets you kill your kids in his name, in exchange for a few extra years of life. What a swell guy!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

How often does the AI put ol Theo on the throne? I swear this is the second game I've seen it in.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there a reason that some of the DLC I own shows as installed in Steam, but not in-game? I have the four content packs, but only Monks and Mystics is displaying in the launcher.

e: nevermind, I figured it out, the they're separate add-ons for the expansions that I don't actually own.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

big dyke energy posted:

How often does the AI put ol Theo on the throne? I swear this is the second game I've seen it in.

Happened to me in my most recent Svithjod run but he was already celibate or gelded or something when he attained the throne so the line died when he did anyway.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

Is there a reason that some of the DLC I own shows as installed in Steam, but not in-game? I have the four content packs, but only Monks and Mystics is displaying in the launcher.

e: nevermind, I figured it out, the they're separate add-ons for the expansions that I don't actually own.

Yes the Paradox DLCs have their own sub-DLC now :smith:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

big dyke energy posted:

Everytime I play inside either karling empire there's a faction to install Theo

So it probably depends on how many people hate Charlie due to their randomized stats and join a pretender faction

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

I started a Prague 1066 game last night with gender equality turned on. I'm now a lesbian Satanist queen of Bohemia.

I may never be good at this game but I'm probably going to play it forever, A++++

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It just takes time man. Nobody's any good at this poo poo when they pick it up.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I recently read on Reddit's ck2 sub that the AI prioritizes computing power for realms surrounding the player character. Like if you start in Scandinavia, some Slavic power will consolidate next to you, or if you start in Hispania, France or the HRE sucks up everything around you too. Meanwhile it's all border gore at the opposite end of the map. Think I'll start playing with shattered retreat turned off (I started playing paradox games with EU4 and am used to it being required) and see if that evens the odds.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

After being pretty comfortable in my india game, to the point of seeing no reason to play out the next 120 years until end date, I decided to do a randomized world merchant republic run starting as a Duke in modern day Estonia.

My religion seems to be a mostly refluffed Norse, with the addition of vision quests my kids all are doing when they come of age.

I joined the wolf lodge guys and have been slowly working my way up the ranks, because I spawned in with a completely military focused merchant man. Seriously. 28 martial. 6 stewardship. Man probably just dueled all his competition to get his position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

KittyEmpress posted:

After being pretty comfortable in my india game, to the point of seeing no reason to play out the next 120 years until end date, I decided to do a randomized world merchant republic run starting as a Duke in modern day Estonia.

My religion seems to be a mostly refluffed Norse, with the addition of vision quests my kids all are doing when they come of age.

I joined the wolf lodge guys and have been slowly working my way up the ranks, because I spawned in with a completely military focused merchant man. Seriously. 28 martial. 6 stewardship. Man probably just dueled all his competition to get his position.

If polygamy/concubines aren't a thing for you and you can reform you should get it. Polygamy/concubines in a merchant republic is just beautiful.

Alternatively take the seduction focus and gently caress everybody's wives.