Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I just retired a Saw, unlocked Three Spears, and I'm pretty sure I'll just play another Saw because it is the most fun I've had in Gloomhaven and Three Spears looks broken in a really samey and boring way.

Saw is so much fun if you just dive right into the thick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you care about getting all of the city and road events unlocked, you'll need to play Three Spears eventually. You can always just avoid the most broken parts of the class voluntarily.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

thespaceinvader posted:

do you mean Envelope X? I can tell you how long you're expecting in the next spoiler:

It has 10 letters. For more:

But not all of them come from cyphertext clues on cards, some are elsewhere, keep a weather eye out...

Mother fucker.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

LongDarkNight posted:

Is there a non-spoiler list for the cypher? We're pretty close to completing the main quest line and have 6 pieces so I'd like to make sure we haven't missed anything and that we can go back for anything we're missing.

Envelope X spoilers:

First of all, this puzzle is ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT. It is possible to not get all the information you need until you replay old missions. It is possible to not get all the information if you haven't unlocked everything. And the puzzle is non-diagetic - it breaks the fourth wall.

I implore you to ignore your desire to solve it legit and just go read all the spoilers. But if you really, really want to continue. . .

Here is a bunch of hints:

The envelope itself explicitly tells you the first letter is B. There are ten letters total.

There are four letters hidden in art, three of which are accessible from the beginning and one which must be unlocked.

There are two letters that you get clues to at the end of certain missions.

There is one letter that you get a clue to in a treasure chest in one mission.

There are two letters that you get clues to from road events that are shuffled in by class retirements.

None of this stuff is ever completely locked out except for one letter from the end of a certain mission, but some of it (in particular the road events shuffled in by class retirements and the unlocked one) may or may not take a long, long time to acquire, depending on chance.

The clues are not riddles, they are meta, fourth-wall-breaking puzzles asking you to look outside the game, although that is not immediately obvious when you encounter them. Once you have all the letters, you must unscramble them, and you'll get a word that you're supposed to do some poo poo with outside the game also.

Regarding the outside-the-game poo poo:

You're going to be expected to google poo poo. Stuff that the designer has written in articles, forum posts, etc. If Cephalofair or BoardGameGeek goes out of business, or if its website goes down, or if Isaac Childres' email inbox fills up, certain letters are unobtainable.

Regarding the one thing that can be locked out:

Did you free The Voice? If so, you're hosed! I hope you're good at anagrams with one letter missing! Or, you know, cheat and look at the end of Scenario 42 anyway.

So hopefully that gives you some hints of where to find your missing info.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Env X further:
not to mention that some of it comes from sites not directly controlled by Cephalofair, so if those go down it's hosed, and depending on your edition, one of the clues you're NEVER ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT ON THE INTERNET EVER has a typo which you can't find errata for without talking about it on the internet. The cyphers are probably the worst part of Gloomhaven.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Reik posted:

Brute/Mindthief/Spellweaver is probably my favorite 3-man starting team because as soon as you hit level 3 Mindthief can fuel Cold Fire. Without a Mindthief the Spellweaver really needs like 300g of enhancements to not feel clunky as hell.

Yeah I started with this team too and it's great fun to play, especially when you get to a higher level and can start throwing out fully powered Cold Fire spells.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Env X further:
not to mention that some of it comes from sites not directly controlled by Cephalofair, so if those go down it's hosed, and depending on your edition, one of the clues you're NEVER ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT ON THE INTERNET EVER has a typo which you can't find errata for without talking about it on the internet. The cyphers are probably the worst part of Gloomhaven.

And more: The errated clue requires that you pick the correct choice on a specific road event with one of (I believe) three specific characters in your party. Don't have the correct character in your group? You get NOTHING.

It's baffling. If they'd offered a cash prize for the first person to "solve" Envelope X it might be barely tolerable.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

thespaceinvader posted:

Env X further:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the typo. Jesus loving christ, Envelope X is hosed up.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Narsham posted:

It's baffling. If they'd offered a cash prize for the first person to "solve" Envelope X it might be barely tolerable.

Big actual end result envelope X spoiler
My biggest complaint is that your end result is a loving print and play class. They really needed some way to redeem a physical reward, especially the miniature.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Cinara posted:

Big actual end result envelope X spoiler
My biggest complaint is that your end result is a loving print and play class. They really needed some way to redeem a physical reward, especially the miniature.
envelope x blah blah blah
i would happily pay for the cards/board & mini, but as of now there is literally no way the class will ever see the table for me

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

extremely :same: to the last two posts

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Bodanarko posted:

envelope x blah blah blah
i would happily pay for the cards/board & mini, but as of now there is literally no way the class will ever see the table for me

continued envelope x discussion of above spoilered point
One of our group's occasional players pulled one of the envelope X quests on his first character and I took him aside after the second or third game he played, told him that it was a giant puzzle which requires a ton of work in extremely obtuse ways, and asked whether, when he completed the quest, he wanted to do the puzzle or just skip it and get the reward. He said gently caress the puzzle, then looked it up online and is already researching minis for the class. He said he'll print out the cards himself when he finally finishes the quest.

The class itself looks relatively cool, if maybe underpowered, but man it is so not worth the effort getting there without spoilers.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the replies about Envelope X. It sounds like some bullshit. I'll just read the spoilers then talk to my group about whether we want to bother.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

'Short' session tonight, as we only had time for 2 scenarios. I decided to go with the Spellweaver for my 2nd character, which makes for an especially squishy team. I like the cards I get, but I don't like having such a small hand size, even with the ability to regain lost cards.

With Krump the Cragheart in retirement, Ratbag the Mindthief needed to find a new partner. This time, he would find someone that wouldn't keep him from acting on any opportunity to get ahead. After a brief recruitment drive, he finds Cretia the Orchid Spellweaver, who will do whatever it takes to see this town prosper. With the new party formed, Ratbag goes to the merchant's district to accept Jekserah's offer.

Scenario #9: Very short and straightforward mission. I walked into the room and ended up in range of every scout there and rolled a crit miss on my attack that would have taken out a couple of them. Fortunately, I bought a cloak of invisibility, and even remembered to use it. Unfortunately, my friend walked into the very same situation, with only a rat swarm to absorb some of the attacks. I expected him to be shot to death in short order, especially when the boss pulled a special card that let the scouts attack twice, but luck was on his side as they all pulled -2's or critical misses. Between 8 attacks he took 2 damage. After that, it was a pretty simple matter to kill the boss and take the treasure.

Scenario #11A: This was a long one. I understand the desire to make a large setpiece battle with lots of npc allies and enemies, but as I've previously learned while DMing, the game slows to a crawl very quickly with every unit you add. While it was tedious and took entirely too long to get through, it did make me an especially wealthy adventurer, as my friend had pulled a battle goal to not grab any loot.

We made it to prosperity level 3 surprisingly fast and opened envelope B. I ended the night just a measly 5 xp away from level 3. We're gonna bump up the difficulty level to 3 next session.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You know when you multi target attack, you draw one card per creature you're attacking, right? If it were aoe, you should have only been able to null on one of them, unless you had been cursed.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You know when you multi target attack, you draw one card per creature you're attacking, right? If it were aoe, you should have only been able to null on one of them, unless you had been cursed.

IIRC I drew a curse and a normal crit miss on the weaker enemies I was targeting, but I could be remembering wrong. It's possible I went into the room planning to use my cloak to prep for a better attack next turn but my memory is poo poo garbage so I guess we'll never know.

e: also do I only shuffle the attack mod deck after I've resolved all attacks?

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 21, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sirtommygunn posted:

IIRC I drew a curse and a normal crit miss on the weaker enemies I was targeting, but I could be remembering wrong. It's possible I went into the room planning to use my cloak to prep for a better attack next turn but my memory is poo poo garbage so I guess we'll never know.

e: also do I only shuffle the attack mod deck after I've resolved all attacks?

Yes, the "shuffle" icon means "reshuffle this deck at the end of the round". The only time you reshuffle in the middle of your attacks is if you flip so many cards you run out.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Scenario 11 owns and is super fun and I really can't grasp why so many people hate it. Yeah it's longer than usual but every scenario is a multi-hour time sink except for a few of them with certain classes that can cheese them.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Scenario 11 owns and is super fun and I really can't grasp why so many people hate it. Yeah it's longer than usual but every scenario is a multi-hour time sink except for a few of them with certain classes that can cheese them.

There is fun there, it's just that so much time gets taken over by managing a dozen or more pieces without any real decisions to be made. This scenario took more time than any I had done before while actually being on the low end for the number of turns I got to take.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In #12 the safest way to do the scenario is to ignore as many enemies as possible, which maximises the bookkeeping and minimises the amount of combat the party gets involved in (ie how much fun the players have). The more enemies are alive in earlier rooms, the fewer can be placed / summoned in later ones.

When we did it I got left behind in the big main room and contributed nothing while my girlfriend's Scoundrel revealed a mostly empty third room and then a final room that just had the boss in it. Since most of the boss' specials are summons and since we were at the monster cap for them it was pretty easy for her to solo the boss

It's the worst scenario I've done and it's not close.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We didn't hit 11 or 12 and I'm pretty glad.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I retired my Sun class tonight, and the party will miss them. But I scrounged up enough gold to buy an enhancement - +1 on the top of Scales of Justice - so I... uh... whoever plays the class next will have a nice time.

I unlocked Saw and holy crap this looks like a good time. At first I was like, "ugh support class" but then I looked closer and not only are there some interesting mechanics here, this guy is a crowd control and damage beast. I'm worried about going to a 10-card class from Crag and then Sun, but without a tank now, I'm not going to grab those "tank welfare" cards that my Sun would have begged for.

Starting at level 4, even though we're at Prosperity 5, because I like learning over time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

I retired my Sun class tonight, and the party will miss them. But I scrounged up enough gold to buy an enhancement - +1 on the top of Scales of Justice - so I... uh... whoever plays the class next will have a nice time.

I unlocked Saw and holy crap this looks like a good time. At first I was like, "ugh support class" but then I looked closer and not only are there some interesting mechanics here, this guy is a crowd control and damage beast. I'm worried about going to a 10-card class from Crag and then Sun, but without a tank now, I'm not going to grab those "tank welfare" cards that my Sun would have begged for.

Starting at level 4, even though we're at Prosperity 5, because I like learning over time.

I had the same reaction to Saw but I really enjoyed it. It's really versatile and you can play it very differently every scenario.

Our classes with small hand sizes loved him just because the health packs gave them extra turns.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

What's the rest of your party like? I've been interested in trying to make the Cthulthu Tank build work using the persistent shield 1 Cthulhu loss with the shield 1 Saw persistent loss.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

What's the rest of your party like? I've been interested in trying to make the Cthulthu Tank build work using the persistent shield 1 Cthulhu loss with the shield 1 Saw persistent loss.
Usually any two of Two Minis, Angry Face, and Mindthief.

So nobody who is particularly tanky. I could enable the 'tankthief' build somewhat but I'd rather do the whole 'debuff and AoE beast with a side-helping of support' thing that it looks like I'm good at. I can't believe there's a 1st level non-loss AoE disarm with an enhancement dot, i mean holy poo poo.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Usually any two of Two Minis, Angry Face, and Mindthief.

So nobody who is particularly tanky. I could enable the 'tankthief' build somewhat but I'd rather do the whole 'debuff and AoE beast with a side-helping of support' thing that it looks like I'm good at. I can't believe there's a 1st level non-loss AoE disarm with an enhancement dot, i mean holy poo poo.

Haha, yeah. Saw Is probably the most underrated class. It's the only class that can significantly extend the stamina of a player, and that's not even the best feature of the class. It's not as broken as Eclipse/Music Note/Three Spears, but it's not too far behind them in my opinion.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Saw is weird as hell and oscillates between being a little boring and going and pulling off ridiculous plays no one else can do. At level 9 I was casually running around executing normies and healing up an entire party to full.

Stock up on items that let you heal yourself because then you can spread them with Hand of the Surgeon. Healing can be a bit of a bad move at times but if your taking good heals over middling attack cards lets your team take good attack cards over middling heals then it's a net bonus to murder power.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

Haha, yeah. Saw Is probably the most underrated class. It's the only class that can significantly extend the stamina of a player, and that's not even the best feature of the class. It's not as broken as Eclipse/Music Note/Three Spears, but it's not too far behind them in my opinion.
Yeah I can't wait to try this guy out. The medpacks are nice and all, but the meat of the class is shocking. It looks probably as good or better than (that one class) for dealing out debuffs.

We also unlocked what's evidently his best item, Item 73. The 45 gold hurt, but eh, it's worth it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah I can't wait to try this guy out. The medpacks are nice and all, but the meat of the class is shocking. It looks probably as good or better than (that one class) for dealing out debuffs.

We also unlocked what's evidently his best item, Item 73. The 45 gold hurt, but eh, it's worth it.

Saw Yeah, and if you're at prosperity 5, you've also unlocked Item 42, which is probably the second best item for him at that level as well.

Saw and Item 42 spoilers Since the effect happens at the end of the turn you can't use it to play Hold Back the Pain, but you can use it to play Syringe after moving up and hitting an enemy with Bloody Saw, leaving them Stunned, Wounded, and Poisoned. Or, if you're in a turn where you've already set up Hold Back the Pain, you can do an Area of Effect Syringe on top of your top attack.

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 22, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

Saw Yeah, and if you're at prosperity 5, you've also unlocked Item 42, which is probably the second best item for him as well.
Yep, that's next on the list when I hit Level 5 and can hold one more small item. I can totally see the use; my Sun character loved it. I thought Item 73 was better in this circumstance, particularly with the Refresh Item perk, which should come around fairly regularly with all the AoE I am doing. Also it's a freebie move instead of costing me a card, so that's nice too. We made stamina pots non-recoverable, so I won't be doing that particular nonsense with this perk. Unfortunately.

I may need to arm wrestle with angry face for Item 42 though. Two Minis has the other one.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Yep, that's next on the list when I hit Level 5 and can hold one more small item. I can totally see the use; my Sun character loved it. I thought Item 73 was better in this circumstance, particularly with the Refresh Item perk, which should come around fairly regularly with all the AoE I am doing. Also it's a freebie move instead of costing me a card, so that's nice too. We made stamina pots non-recoverable, so I won't be doing that particular nonsense with this perk. Unfortunately.

I may need to arm wrestle with angry face for Item 42 though. Two Minis has the other one.

Yeah, for Saw item 73 is definitely the way to go so you can pull off the Hold Back the Pain combo in a single turn.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Can someone explain why three Spears is broken/fun/anything? I played it and was bored to tears till I retired him fast and went with spikey haired angry guy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Can someone explain why three Spears is broken/fun/anything? I played it and was bored to tears till I retired him fast and went with spikey haired angry guy.

He can refresh consumed items, not just spent ones. Can you think of any single-use items that would get particularly degenerate if you could use them over and over again?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jabor posted:

Can you think of any single-use items that would get particularly degenerate if you could use them over and over again?
Stamina potions?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pierzak posted:

Stamina potions?

That's the one!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

3 Spears can literally take infinite turns.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Three Spears: When people say he's broken, they aren't just referring to power (which, to be fair, he's really high in). He also breaks the fundamental action economy of the game through repeated refreshes of stamina potions.

As for fun, he's just a dude with a bunch of gadgets. The Quartermaster is basically Batman. What's not to love?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Holy crap, lightning bolt plus saw. :stare: Like I want a version of :stare: that is just coated in blood.

Once we got in synch it just turned into a blood-soaked horror show. The only problem is every couple of turns I'd turn to her and be like, "Hey, I need another heal soon, can you do that?" Her : "Jesus what do you keep doing with all that HP?" Me : "MURDER" Wow those classes work well together.

Also we literally just unpacked saw today ; am I correct in my read that with the medpacks it might actually be impossible for it to exhaust from card-loss? Like they literally can't go in the lost or the discard piles and just keep coming back to her hand so...

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Been playing slowly over the past few months, and our Brute player just retired and unlocked Two Minis and dang is it cool. I love the drat bear, it's so cool looking. And now my Mindthief, Teefs McQueen, has a tiny vermling bro to run around with!

It looks like in the next few missions we'll be retiring the rest of our party as well. Currently it's my Mindthief, the Tinker, and a Scoundrel. We're almost done unlocking Cthulhu, Music Note, and Triforce so what little I've gathered about those three tells be things will probably be really different in a few sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Saw: The Medpacks never go into the Saw's hand. When they play an action that gives one out, they take the card from their supply and hand it to you and then you use it and it goes back to the supply.

So it will take much longer for anyone to exhaust, but the Saw will eventually run out of cards.