Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I found Wargroove pretty disappointing. Really boring map design.

Yeah. I'm just going to quote myself:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I realize the game is month's old now, but I've finally delved deep into Wargroove and it's really not the Advance Wars killer, we all wanted, but it's not all that bad either. So here's a longish review.

The biggest fault with the game is level design and balance. I still have to play around more with the systems and there are undoubtedly strategies I'm missing, but there seems to be a couple of overly useful units, and others that just don't have much of a role. In particular the AA-equivalent the Mage, and the B-copter equivalent, the Aeronaut, are far too good for their price compared to the other units. The former may not have much defense, but they attack nearly other unit for a decent enough amount, move farther than pretty much any other infantry, can capture, and heal (at a cost). The latter is nearly untouchable by most units and does fair enough damage to just about anything.

It's not broken necessarily, but it does mean there are a lot of units I just don't bother using. That, and the map design in the campaign is far far too long. The level design is generally a problem in the game. I can only imagine how hard it is to design levels for these type of games and Intelligent Systems is the best at it, so it's an unfair comparison, but I don't quite think Chucklefish got it. Again, nothing is necessarily unfair (well... there's the matter of reinforcements), but it does take the fun out of the campaign at times, since both getting a winning condition can be a slog, or even just moving across an overly large map can take far too long.

That aside I really appreciate the atmosphere of the game. It's incredibly charming, and they nailed the "war is fun" attitude that the Wars series has too. It was always really funny to me how cutesy Intelligent Systems managed to make their game about such a serious matter. Wargroove manages it just fine and the voicework, spritework, and music all works very well. Everyone was super excited about the dog unit(s), but honestly they are incredibly cute and heart-warming, and the game does it best to remind us of this.

Plus, it's an incredibly complete game. We often complain about indie games being too short or lacking in content, but this thing has three full game modes, a richly text-filled codex, online and local multiplayer, and a stupidly robust map and campaign maker That's not saying much, like I said designing these maps must be a bitch, but I looked through the maps people made and there's a lot being offered (even if it's a lot of rips from Intelligent Systems). The campaign maker mode is also very cool with people making their own cutscenes.

So the game is very fleshed out and ample and will eat up a lot of your time. It doesn't fill the gap of great-turn based strategy, and it's not quite the mix of FE and AW that I think they were going for, but ultimately it's not bad. It plays well enough, and for the price and the charm, if you're somewhat interested in the genre you could do worse. Just don't come expecting an Intelligent Systems game. It's both different and just not quite as good.

NoE is offering 6 euro (double the gold coins) if I pre-order Link's Awakening, and I am feeling PRETTY damned tempted, even if I still need to beat Dark Souls when I get back and the school year is finally starting again so my time is going to be shot. Save money (?) and not play games, or be patient? I'm also leaning heavily towards that voucher to be spent on Mario Maker 2 even if I'll never be crafting a level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Huxley posted:

Gamers with a strong sense of human anatomy.

luv 2 vagina bones

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Gamescom had some new gameplay of Trails of Mana (that SD3 remake) for Switch. Looks pretty great actually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLm3kPB7unQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjujJkUihuA

I’m happy this looks to be a full-on remake this time. I’ll very likely get it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just lol if you just don't fully automate combat in Dragon Quest, even against bosses. Super glad they made it a cake walk.

It really can’t be stressed enough, auto battle is the canon way to play. It should be in the thread title when the game comes out

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah. I'm just going to quote myself:

It really just made me want to replay the old ones and I did. They still own and it made me depressed that we haven’t gotten a new one.

Just make Three Houses again but Advance Wars please, IS.:smith:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

I'm a big fan of the Persona dancing games so I picked up Xonic. Super happy that I got it for less than a dollar. I really dislike having to move my thumbs from the buttons to the sticks randomly for extra inputs. At least the Persona games gave you the option of using bumpers for the scratches. The pink notes for stick movement are miserable. Not a big fan of the songs either. Way too much j-pop and not enough EDM. I'm going to give it a bit more time to give it a fair shot, but I'm not expecting my opinion to change. It's probably a good rhythm game for some people, but I am not one of them.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Having never played Monster Hunter before, I downloaded the demo and they just dump you straight in. I can't tell if I loving suck at this game or I'm just not used to the mechanics yet, but I've been smashing this beginner level monster for like 4 tries now and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing or why I can't kill the drat thing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Casu Marzu posted:

Having never played Monster Hunter before, I downloaded the demo and they just dump you straight in. I can't tell if I loving suck at this game or I'm just not used to the mechanics yet, but I've been smashing this beginner level monster for like 4 tries now and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing or why I can't kill the drat thing.

MH demos are notoriously bad at the experience. Sorry.

1. Pick a weapon that looks fun
2. Watch YouTube tutorial on that weapon.

Everything plays extremely differently. Fights are long. Theres a reason the time limit on levels defaults to 55 min.

The games is about going from a half hour battle to a 5 minute kill of dangerous beasties. Refining your skills

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Casu Marzu posted:

That’s the normal reaction to playing a MH demo for the first time. The actual game is better at easing you into things.

https://twitter.com/new_wabisabi/status/1164662541508734976?s=21
Seems pretty likely we’re getting a Direct soon.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 23, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

it can't be overstated how loving bad the monhun demos are

which is a real shame because the series requires some effort to get into and it's impossible to get a feel for it without actually buying one of the games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s the normal reaction to playing a MH demo for the first time. The actual game is better at easing you into things.

We’ve had this before and nothing came of it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:smith: That's a bummer. I'd rather not toss $25 at a game I'm not sure I'm going to like in the long run.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Official super nintendo emulator when???????

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

nachos posted:

It really can’t be stressed enough, auto battle is the canon way to play. It should be in the thread title when the game comes out
I’ve played Dragon Quest games (but not 11) and I’m wondering what’s the point of playing if you’re gonna automate combat? Like... most of the game is combat, or optimizing for combat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

:smith: That's a bummer. I'd rather not toss $25 at a game I'm not sure I'm going to like in the long run.
if you enjoy games with very deliberate combat (such as Dark Souls) and/or games with a fight/gather/craft loop and an insane amount of cat puns I would say it's still worth a shot because if you do end up enjoying it you've got hundreds and hundreds of hours ahead of you of one of the most fun and unique games of all time (it's not an overstatement to say there's nothing like it)

I feel like most people who have played the monhun games went in blind (me included!) which is a shame, but if it's any help there's a very active and helpful community and the SA thread is always happy to help people starting out

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Update hours later: Yu Gi Oh is great yall

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vegetable posted:

I’ve played Dragon Quest games (but not 11) and I’m wondering what’s the point of playing if you’re gonna automate combat? Like... most of the game is combat, or optimizing for combat.

Story good? The game play is extremely not worth it otherwise. Unless you are just horny as hell for 30 year old style games, full stop.

And I liked it a lot!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like the funny voices

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Everyone being British was a delight.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Your Computer posted:

if you enjoy games with very deliberate combat (such as Dark Souls) and/or games with a fight/gather/craft loop and an insane amount of cat puns I would say it's still worth a shot because if you do end up enjoying it you've got hundreds and hundreds of hours ahead of you of one of the most fun and unique games of all time (it's not an overstatement to say there's nothing like it)

I feel like most people who have played the monhun games went in blind (me included!) which is a shame, but if it's any help there's a very active and helpful community and the SA thread is always happy to help people starting out

Finally killed a monster. This is likely not my kind of game. I guess I should finally buy D3 for the switch. I think I prefer super fast paced smash and explosions and stuff.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

It really just made me want to replay the old ones and I did. They still own and it made me depressed that we haven't gotten a new one.

Just make Three Houses again but Advance Wars please, IS.:smith:

If I could hack get a GBA Micro that I could carry on keychain with a cartridge hacked to fit all the GBA Fire Emblems (with a translated 6) and the two Advance Wars, I'd probably take it with me everywhere. I really like Dual Strike even if it's laughably broken, but I'd accept not having it on the cartridge. The map design in all those games was excellent. Who was responsible for those personally and why aren't they making more?

Your Computer posted:

Yeah I've been tempted. I may have a way to get it free, so I'll see if that works out and if it doesn't I'm picking it up on sale the next chance I get, but Dark Souls style combat complexity has certainly been the selling point for me (and cats)

Vegetable posted:

Been playing 8 on my 3DS and combat is the absolute last thing that interests me in the game. It's a "numbers get bigger" endorphin-releaser covered in a super cozy game. You'll do enough actual battling with bosses, but just running around the map going from point A to B to meet the comically or stupidly charming denizens of a inexplicably detailed world is what sells the game for me. DQ8 and I have to assume all Dragon Quests are simple and easy and it's a beautiful thing because the games are actually good? There's 0 complications, you know what you need to do, and the game just wants you to relax and hang out with it for an hour or two. You don't need to Min-max, you don't need to collect ultimate items or steal everything, just like chill.

Tim Roger's review of DQXI nails exactly what vibes 8 is giving me and I look forward to playing XI one day. I could maybe get a new audience not appreciating it, but anyone who ever liked old RPG's this fits like the most comfortable slipper. But even young kids could appreciate the simple charm of it. Come for the Goku, stay for your cozy nook away from trouble.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Casu Marzu posted:

There are some pretty good tutorial videos on youtube (try gaijinhunter or arekkz) that you go through to get more familiar with monster hunter and then try the demo again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

At its best Dragon Quest was a beautiful visual novel with fun characters and very colorful graphics. Lots of great fun little touches all over the place, and some pretty interesting twists and turns in the story.

And there were lots of short little breaks where I could set the controller down and work one painting some minis for a moment.

Beating the first boss fully automated was freeing. Never looked back. I think the main character went down during combat like a handful of times, and I lost maybe three fights through the whole thing?

Great rpg.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If I could hack get a GBA Micro that I could carry on keychain with a cartridge hacked to fit all the GBA Fire Emblems (with a translated 6) and the two Advance Wars, I'd probably take it with me everywhere. I really like Dual Strike even if it's laughably broken, but I'd accept not having it on the cartridge. The map design in all those games was excellent. Who was responsible for those personally and why aren't they making more?

I actually did that. Add in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Tactics Ogre, and Onimusha Tactics as well. I love the Micro.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Sam Faust posted:

There are some pretty good tutorial videos on youtube (try gaijinhunter or arekkz) that you go through to get more familiar with monster hunter and then try the demo again.

These are like the official tutorial in the game, they give these guys access to the game to make them and stuff.

It will.shpw you the moves syste.. what's you "bread and butter move" and when to use other attacks.

Watch them for weapons you care about

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SeANMcBAY posted:

This person has the worst Twitter feed in all of gaming, and that's saying a lot.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Bloodstained has made me very sad, because I backed it and had to change my copy to Switch last year when my PC and PS4 both died. It’s the only game I’ve Kickstarted and it’s going to be the last one too. I’ve struggled through for 30 hours because I don’t have money or anything else to play

:negative:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Heh, more like humongous poor

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is Civ 6 performance still bad or has that been fixed?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
why is interface so loving tiny on every Switch game

its either that or the camera zooms out really far

how are you supposed to see anything on this console

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is this, a console for ants??

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Finally killed a monster. This is likely not my kind of game. I guess I should finally buy D3 for the switch. I think I prefer super fast paced smash and explosions and stuff.

MonHun is a game where you'll struggle and not enjoy it much for a decent amount of time, then suddenly things start to click and you're maintaining a brutal offensive on monsters while dodging all their attacks, mounting them effortlessly, and trapping their escape routes that at that point you've memorized. It's definitely possible it's just not the game for you but it's also possible that once it does click you'll like it a lot and unfortunately it's really hard to know which it is.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Tried the Cadence of Hyrule demo but I'm not sure if the gameplay loop is for me, it just really makes me want a proper 2D Link to the Past Sequel.... :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MZ posted:

Tried the Cadence of Hyrule demo but I'm not sure if the gameplay loop is for me, it just really makes me want a proper 2D Link to the Past Sequel.... :(

I know link between worlds is 3D but it's very much that

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Head up folks, there's another Tetris 99 tournament today and this one has Fire Emblem theme up for the grabbin'.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jackard posted:

why is interface so loving tiny on every Switch game

its either that or the camera zooms out really far

how are you supposed to see anything on this console

Nobody bothers to increase the font size in portable mode it’s nuts

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

MonHun is a game where you'll struggle and not enjoy it much for a decent amount of time, then suddenly things start to click and you're maintaining a brutal offensive on monsters while dodging all their attacks, mounting them effortlessly, and trapping their escape routes that at that point you've memorized. It's definitely possible it's just not the game for you but it's also possible that once it does click you'll like it a lot and unfortunately it's really hard to know which it is.

I tried a couple quests on the demo with the dual blades and I managed to almost understand what I was doing. The biggest thing was how slowwwww many of the other weapons were. I killed the boss twice and I was only slightly frustrated but had fun. I can definitely see how this game can be fun if I dumped a lot of time into it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Casu Marzu posted:

I tried a couple quests on the demo with the dual blades and I managed to almost understand what I was doing. The biggest thing was how slowwwww many of the other weapons were. I killed the boss twice and I was only slightly frustrated but had fun. I can definitely see how this game can be fun if I dumped a lot of time into it.

I played Tri on the Wii and found it really difficult, took me forever to kill monsters.
When the Wii U one came out with the dual blades it was like a whole new game. I only used them and I only used them in Generations and World. They're so much more fun, gently caress being slow.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Glad to have tried Fire Emblem but its just not engaging me at all, fights are a walkover, the story is just a reminder I can skip cutscenes, christ that dialogue is grating, Oh well, sell and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Apparently a new season for Diablo 3 just started today and Amazon has copies for $40. Guess I'm playing that instead because I know I 100% love me some D3. :black101: