Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

pictured: the torah not being weaponized, politically

https://twitter.com/SenRickScott/status/1164240501081628672

excommunicating insufficiently hawish reform jews and replacing them with evangelical christians lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Willie Tomg posted:

pictured: the torah not being weaponized, politically

https://twitter.com/SenRickScott/status/1164240501081628672

excommunicating insufficiently hawish reform jews and replacing them with evangelical christians lmao

that's literally Zionism's goal, yes

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1164321320005451778

Bernie got em scared

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Armando making the front page of dailykos a completely unreadable circlejerk during the '04 elections is also why I started reading more D&D and somethingawful in general before creating an account. So y'all also have that travesty to lay at his feet.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Armando making the front page of dailykos a completely unreadable circlejerk during the '04 elections is also why I started reading more D&D and somethingawful in general before creating an account. So y'all also have that travesty to lay at his feet.

online is a great circle

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Speaking of global warming

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1164677400413843456

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I thought Biden's main (only) argument was "I'm the most electable" :thunk:

https://twitter.com/Civiqs/status/1164635425324990464

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Of course, she never addresses any of the replies or corrects her original tweet. This is a CNN commentor and Shareblue editor with over 50,000 followers. Blatant media manipulation.

bowser fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 23, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought Biden's main (only) argument was "I'm the most electable" :thunk:

https://twitter.com/Civiqs/status/1164635425324990464

remember how the congressional democratic committee or some poo poo ran a poll about how unpopular AOC, omar, and tlaib are in "battleground"/trump districts?'

this has favorability ratings on those three *plus pelosi* who polls far more unfavorably than all three of them lmao

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Imma cross post my wind insight from yesterday, 'cause it seems hella relevant in here right now:

Bernies plan is fuckin' dumb and won't scale, not fast enough to matter a gently caress anyways.

I build wind turbines. I build the biggest motherfucking wind turbines on the goddamn planet.

The project I signed a contract for in May, which was supposed to start in July, has been delayed to the end of October. Because Vestas cannot supply parts fast enough to meet demand. They had something like a piddly 3200 turbine orders in North America this year and they're running 6-8 months behind on production of everything from the blades to the gearboxes to the tower sections themselves.

Same poo poo with the other major producers such as Siemens and Enercon.

And these are for onshore turbines, proven technology, in a market which isn't even particularly demanding right now. What I'm saying is, we're not buying a metric fuckload of these right now and they can barely keep up with demand, how the gently caress do you think it's going to scale if countries implemented the kind of pie-in-the-sky infrastructure nonsense in these GND's?

That elephant aside, wind turbines are not something you build and forget about. They have the harshest operating environment of anything outside of nuclear, except nuclear components last a whole loving lot longer. The generators sit hundreds of feet off the ground, oscillate constantly, are exposed to insane thermal cycling, and if they're offshore you can add salt air to that. Nothing on these lasts more than five years, maybe a decade. Generators, gearboxes, blade swaps, transformers, literally everything gets swapped out faster than you change the tires on your loving car. At insane cost, both financially and environmentally.

Some of you have phones older than the blades on a turbine built in 2014. And you have to replace all three at once, can't just swap one out. A V136 blade costs half a million dollars, each.

You know when a wind turbine generates power? Not when it's windy, contrary to popular belief. Gotta be juuuuuust right. Too little wind, it won't turn enough to make it worthwhile. Too much wind, gotta shut it down to avoid it going runaway!

Lifespan? 30 years. 30 years and those fuckers are coming down, they're condemned. They've been flailing around like a limp noodle for so long that the foundations are hosed and the tower itself has stress fractures. So imagine that we build a few hundred gigawatts of wind turbines today, we're going to have to replace it all at the same time in three decades. That isn't free, from a materials or carbon standpoint.

You know what's a great plan? Take everyone's car away, liquidate Amazon and Wal-Mart, ration the energy grid, shoot anyone who gets uppity about the end of our pleasuredome lifestyle in the loving head.

Because we're all hosed anyways and this kind of unrealistic bullshit at this late hour is just sugar-coating the rapidly approaching loving. :colbert:

Would've been great in the 70's, fuckin' worthless in 2020.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Centrists have no self awareness...

https://twitter.com/SehzadeSoroush/status/1164637891219189760

Enjoy my so "political commentary" and memes! Centrist Democrat, who believes in unifying politics, not wing politics. Right wing and Left wing ideals divide

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Rime posted:

The project I signed a contract for in May, which was supposed to start in July, has been delayed to the end of October. Because Vestas cannot supply parts fast enough to meet demand. They had something like a piddly 3200 turbine orders in North America this year and they're running 6-8 months behind on production of everything from the blades to the gearboxes to the tower sections themselves.

And these are for onshore turbines, proven technology, in a market which isn't even particularly demanding right now. What I'm saying is, we're not buying a metric fuckload of these right now and they can barely keep up with demand, how the gently caress do you think it's going to scale if countries implemented the kind of pie-in-the-sky infrastructure nonsense in these GND's?

That elephant aside, wind turbines are not something you build and forget about. They have the harshest operating environment of anything outside of nuclear, except nuclear components last a whole loving lot longer. The generators sit hundreds of feet off the ground, oscillate constantly, are exposed to insane thermal cycling, and if they're offshore you can add salt air to that. Nothing on these lasts more than five years, maybe a decade. Generators, gearboxes, blade swaps, transformers, literally everything gets swapped out faster than you change the tires on your loving car. At insane cost, both financially and environmentally.

Some of you have phones older than the blades on a turbine built in 2014. And you have to replace all three at once, can't just swap one out. A V136 blade costs half a million dollars, each.

You know when a wind turbine generates power? Not when it's windy, contrary to popular belief. Gotta be juuuuuust right. Too little wind, it won't turn enough to make it worthwhile. Too much wind, gotta shut it down to avoid it going runaway!

Lifespan? 30 years. 30 years and those fuckers are coming down, they're condemned. They've been flailing around like a limp noodle for so long that the foundations are hosed and the tower itself has stress fractures. So imagine that we build a few hundred gigawatts of wind turbines today, we're going to have to replace it all at the same time in three decades. That isn't free, from a materials or carbon standpoint.

So your problems with wind turbines are:

1. Suppliers can't keep up with demand.
2. They require a lot of maintenance.
3. They have certain conditions where they work adequately.
4. They only last 30 years

I really don't see a big problem here? Suppliers can't keep up with demand? Subsidize expanding production capabilities and funding new suppliers. They require lots of maintenance? Sounds like a great industry that will create a lot of jobs as we transition to a green economy. Only work in certain conditions? I mean that's why you build mass amounts of them and place them wherever the conditions are typically right, so that you can have some portion not spinning and still be fine. They only last 30 years? How is this a problem? 30 years seems like plenty of time for a ~$4m turbine. In 30 years I would hope we have better turbines or alternative energy technologies to turn to.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bernie's idea sounds nice at first, but you really see how unrealistic it is when you consider that bernie has no plan for how to PAY for it

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/nationalparke/status/1164588239384170496

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Rime posted:

Bernies plan is fuckin' dumb and won't scale, not fast enough to matter a gently caress anyways.
Who is the 2020 Democratic Primary candidate whose plan is smart and will scale?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

We can sneak smart phones into every aspect of our lives without any protest but making a new legion of jobs to maintain infrastructure is unthinkable, apparently?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twodot posted:

Who is the 2020 Democratic Primary candidate whose plan is smart and will scale?

#YangGang

I don’t know though, maybe reorienting the economy around renewable will lead to more component supply? Or is that too radical and the most we should vote for is a quicker death.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
All 3 of these things can be (are) true.

Bernie’s climate plan doesn’t do enough to prevent a massive climate disaster.
Bernie has the best plan for dealing with climate change.
Even if Bernie didn’t have the best climate plan, he’d still be the best candidate.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only avatar Marianne can master the orb and bring balance to the world.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bernstrike posted:

#YangGang

I don’t know though, maybe reorienting the economy around renewable will lead to more component supply? Or is that too radical and the most we should vote for is a quicker death.

Yang's climate "plan", such as it is, actually sucks really bad.

It's basically just:
  • carbon tax
  • "make it easier to open nuclear plants"
  • "direct the EPA to regulate carbon emissions"
  • "Invest heavily in carbon capture and geoengineering technologies"
  • "Direct the EPA to research and promote the best means of reducing wasteful packaging practices"
  • institute an "Energy Race to the Top" to offer utility companies grants if they install smart meters and modernize their infrastructure

He seems to have little interest in decarbonizing the economy.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Eminai posted:

Bernie’s climate plan doesn’t do enough to prevent a massive climate disaster.
Bernie has the best plan for dealing with climate change.
I wouldn't fight either of these statements, but it's seems like a weird waste of energy to assert Sanders is simultaneously the best 2020 Democratic Primary candidate on climate and also his stance on climate is bad. Like sure that could be true, but the actual result of those beliefs is "vote for Sanders anyways" so why bother to post about it in the 2020 Democratic Primary thread?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The issue is that changing public opinion has to start somewhere (and as I think someone else mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if anti-nuclear sentiment was encouraged by the fossil fuel industry over the decades).

Normally I'd agree but we have 12 years, building a nuclear plant takes decades. There simply isn't time even if you had the majority of Americans behind you today, and we don't even have that we'd have to start convincing people. Imo it's just a distraction, would have been nice thirty years ago, but an nuclear grid powered by the mighty atom is a nerd pipe-dream.

Ytlaya posted:

My opinion is that the "any plan without nuclear can't work" argument* seems wrong based upon existing evidence and that it's seemingly possible to accomplish most of the same greenhouse gas reduction with renewables, but at the same time the motivation for banning nuclear power is definitely dumb/irrational and it would be better if nuclear could be honestly evaluated as an option. Maybe public opinion can't be changed enough to make it a part of any plan to fight climate change, but it certainly can't hurt to at least not explicitly write it off.

* I actually agreed with this argument prior to this discussion

Yeah that's really the thing, if people weren't irrationally afraid of nukes it would make averting climate change cheaper and more efficient, but there's a ton of evidence that we can move forward without it if we start now.

Maybe I'm just cynical because a lot of it seems to be coming from people who poo poo on environmentalists and were denying the scale of the crisis and arguing for meaningless bullshit like Cap And Trade and the Paris Climate Accords, right up until it became impossible to defend denialism in public anymore and those people all switched to a new tactic of delaying action with endless concern trolling about how nothing is ever 'good enough'.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Main Paineframe posted:

Yang's climate "plan", such as it is, actually sucks really bad.

It's basically just:
  • carbon tax
  • "make it easier to open nuclear plants"
  • "direct the EPA to regulate carbon emissions"
  • "Invest heavily in carbon capture and geoengineering technologies"
  • "Direct the EPA to research and promote the best means of reducing wasteful packaging practices"
  • institute an "Energy Race to the Top" to offer utility companies grants if they install smart meters and modernize their infrastructure

He seems to have little interest in decarbonizing the economy.

I know it was a throw away line.

A more interesting subject I’ve been thinking about is whether moving to crisis/war footing to deal with the economy and environment could be expanded to other aspects of society. For example, could you introduce some kind of censorship to stop climate change denialism being broadcast? If any candidate wants to implement a program of that scale in office, it’s likely to be a lot harder with FNC and others shilling for the fossil fuel industry.

Might not be a topic for this thread, happy to discuss elsewhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bernstrike posted:

A more interesting subject I’ve been thinking about is whether moving to crisis/war footing to deal with the economy and environment could be expanded to other aspects of society. For example, could you introduce some kind of censorship to stop climate change denialism being broadcast? If any candidate wants to implement a program of that scale in office, it’s likely to be a lot harder with FNC and others shilling for the fossil fuel industry.

Problem is censorship is an incredibly dangerous double-edged sword that's almost immediately going to be co-opted and misused, and the right has gotten good at using progressive rhetoric to cloak their own causes, with moral panics over sexism and objectification suddenly going straight for LGBT media.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Problem is censorship is an incredibly dangerous double-edged sword that's almost immediately going to be co-opted and misused, and the right has gotten good at using progressive rhetoric to cloak their own causes, with moral panics over sexism and objectification suddenly going straight for LGBT media.

If you're implementing full-scale censorship, you're probably at war already, in which case "co-option" doesn't matter.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You're 20 years late at the most generous to be worrying about overt media censorship being used against the left in wartime. It's been used. We're talking on an alternate channel right now.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vedsc92PA

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Rime posted:

Imma cross post my wind insight from yesterday, 'cause it seems hella relevant in here right now:

I build wind turbines. I build the biggest motherfucking wind turbines on the goddamn planet.

You know what's a great plan? Take everyone's car away, liquidate Amazon and Wal-Mart, ration the energy grid, shoot anyone who gets uppity about the end of our pleasuredome lifestyle in the loving head.

Because we're all hosed anyways and this kind of unrealistic bullshit at this late hour is just sugar-coating the rapidly approaching loving. :colbert:

Would've been great in the 70's, fuckin' worthless in 2020.

This post reminds me of a forwarded email that my dad got once in the early 2000s that talked about how electric cars weren't possible or, if they were, there's no way that they could possibly be fuel efficient because car batteries at the time cost a lot and weren't very good.

Why are you convinced that the situation can't improve?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bernstrike posted:

If you have enough political support to do that, you have enough political support that you probably don't need to do that.

The real threat to climate change progress isn't the minority of full-blown denialists, anyway. It's the liberal centrist elites suggesting that we throw fifty billion dollars at industry and impose a few small fees, then let the free market figure out the best way to deal with climate change, without any of those burdensome government interventions or regulations unfairly constraining the invisible hand of capitalism.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1164819275254681600
https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1164820396014575617

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

cue the lovely recorder version of my heart will go on
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1164893005670752256

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I wonder if the supporters of Hickenlooper, Inslee, Swalwell, and Moulton are even statistically significant enough to warrant speculation on where they will go now that their candidates have dropped out. Inslee was the only person that's dropped out recently to meet the donor qualification, so maybe there's enough of something there (but probably not) to go to other people.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lol he was the keynote speaker at my state democratic party's big fundraising dinner earlier this year

they sure know how to pick a winner

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really had a hard time differentiating that Ryan/Moulton/Swalwell group since they are so boring and had no real hooks as to why they should get votes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
And then there was still 20+.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol he was the keynote speaker at my state democratic party's big fundraising dinner earlier this year

they sure know how to pick a winner

he's my rep :(

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really had a hard time differentiating that Ryan/Moulton/Swalwell group since they are so boring and had no real hooks as to why they should get votes

they're all the same person it's an optical illusion

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Kith posted:

This post reminds me of a forwarded email that my dad got once in the early 2000s that talked about how electric cars weren't possible or, if they were, there's no way that they could possibly be fuel efficient because car batteries at the time cost a lot and weren't very good.

Two points:

1. It won’t improve fast enough so we need to take more radical measures beyond simply maintaining our lifestyles with no change. Maybe that means as attention towards sustainable energy increases we can get our lifestyles back but will have a 20 year lull.

2. Maybe it’ll improve much faster if the entire nation’s resources and problem solvers are directed to fixing these issues.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mine too!

God, I hope he loses his House seat too. I should look and see if he has any primary opponents. This district sucks, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kith posted:

Not to speak for him, but a lot of the issues he's talking about are fundamental properties of the materials. "Invent new forms of steel and concrete that are far more durable" isn't some low hanging fruit obstacle.