Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And backlight them for a glowing Mural. Like have only the lightning coming out of the wizards hands and the light sabres and poo poo be lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Michener is doing Edmonton police's auctions now

https://www.maauctions.com/details/AutolistingYEG_COE_Detail.aspx?Link=7/7/2019%5E0cd459c114fc46028676f49d9271c7a1

2016 RC 350.

https://www.maauctions.com/details/AutolistingYEG_COE_Detail.aspx?Link=7/7/2019%5Ebdf67b8898bc454fb1b5803dbd4bf719

2015 Lancer ralliart.

I wonder how leins work on this poo poo.

A whole bunch of right buggered cop cars, too.

https://www.maauctions.com/Details/autolistingyeg_2019.aspx

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a good question. I assume the owner is not allowed to sell the vehicle without discharging the lien, but this is a third party doing it. Maybe the auction house knows?

Be cool to pick up an SST Ralliart for cheap and run it into the ground.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

My buddy has an ford f650 on super singles. With the Allison trans, Cummins 5.9 and Harley Davidson interior.

And a regular Class 5 driver's license is all that's needed to drive that thing all day every day.

SSS, you still got that post of yours that starts with "you oceanic motherfuckers" ? I saved it when it happened, but that was on my old computer. I'm in Australia and the picture of that truck plus your wonderful rant (and I've started playing Civ IV again) would be nice to have ready to throw at the next Bogan who declares something unintelligible about their ute.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Went to Burger Baron in Raymond last week. Best burger I've had in a long time. A+ would go again.

Also found this
:wtc:

https://twitter.com/Burger_Baron

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Burger Baron is a loving treasure and has a really really interesting history.

I'll see if I can dig up some of the articles covering it.

Also, that Twitter account based on the "companies" history could technically be legit.

Edit: Here we go http://www.calgaryherald.com/Will+Real+Burger+Baron+Please+Stand/8329346/story.html

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 8, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

And a regular Class 5 driver's license is all that's needed to drive that thing all day every day.

SSS, you still got that post of yours that starts with "you oceanic motherfuckers" ? I saved it when it happened, but that was on my old computer. I'm in Australia and the picture of that truck plus your wonderful rant (and I've started playing Civ IV again) would be nice to have ready to throw at the next Bogan who declares something unintelligible about their ute.

Man, where did I make that post? It doesn't sound familiar to me.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I think it was in one of the AI-wide fast-moving threads, but not one of the monthly discussion threads. Maybe "Post your ride" or "What did you do to your ride?". It was in response to an Australian or maybe a Kiwi complaining about large vehicles in standard-size parking spaces, possibly with a photo of a F-150.

Fake Edit: found it! "Post terrible car stuff" I should have just used the search function to start with. Yours is the only post it found to include the string "you oceanic motherfuckers". Which is a real shame, it's a good little phrase and we should all endeavor to use it more.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

F250? You Oceanic motherfuckers haven't even started on trucks. We've got F550s to do the grocery run with.

Still not enough, and you're too busy loving your cousin to get a CDL? Try an F650 on for size.

Still not enough? Now we're talking. We'll make it into a loving limo. Your chauffeur has to give you a boost to get in. At this level we don't even think about parking lots anymore, these babies just keep rolling 24/7 while a small Japanese car travels to and from the gas station to keep 'em stocked.

I can give any one of these bitches to my 16 year old as soon as he looks up from Facebook long enough to get his drivers' license and he can drive it wherever and whenever he wants.

It's like it's the last fifteen turns of a Civ game. Our tech tree hit the cap on this poo poo a long time ago and now we're just putting more points into Bigger Trucks XVIII.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey PowerShift, if an f550 with 4.88 rear gets 19L/100km unladen cruising 110kph, what do you think it would get with a gooseneck and a 10,000lb load?

I'm having trouble finding towing mileage.

I'm thinking of doing some hotshot work when fall breakup hits.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Saw 38C today north of Taber. Of course if I tried to take a pic display dropped to 37.

I totally expect frost within 4 weeks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a very dry 30 here and that's the hottest it has been all year. Looks like single digits every night this week, so it looks like summer is over.

Thanks Europe and Greenland for taking the bullet on this one.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Get ready for clouds of farm dust floating around, it's almost harvest season.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Am I an idiot for considering driving all the way down to grab this with my car hauler ?

2003 Ford F-350 Cummins ,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ent=app_android

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a ton of money for somebody else's project.

2-3 7.3 duallies pop up from time to time in the 200k mileage range and go for 5-10 grand at auction.

https://www.rbauction.com/2007-dodge-3500hd-crew-cab-4x4-flatbed-truck?invId=11427810&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2019143

This will go for 10. last 5.9, pre-emissions.

https://www.rbauction.com/2007-dodge-3500hd-slt-crew-cab-4x4-dually-pickup?invId=11408998&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2019143

This could end up in the 10-15 range

I know i say auctions a lot, but auctions auctions auctions.

auctions

you could have been rocking a fassi crane

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I dig that second one. Especially with the "hutterite special" decal package and manual six speed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

I dig that second one. Especially with the "hutterite special" decal package and manual six speed.

Serviced at a dealer out of warranty, too. :homebrew:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What about this one ? Blue interior !

1999 Ford F-350 Dually 7.3L V8 Diesel ***Very clean, 4x4***,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ent=app_android

Price: $ 12,999

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That frame needs repair of some kind?

I guess the paint is a little scratched.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:siren: frost advisory :siren:

summer we hardly knew ya

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm a huge retard idiot. Let operation timebomb begin.

New manual trans, new clutch, new turbo, injectors pulled and flowed. No body rust whatsoever. Missing head trim and rear seats. But I have a friend with 2 lariats from the same year I can pull from before he scraps them.

Owner told me I wouldn't make it back to GP because the truck "weighs 14000lbs"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh, well......

i guess you don't need this link then

https://www.rbauction.com/2006-gmc-c5500-crew-cab-4x4-dually-pickup?invId=11497950&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2019143

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where's the closest place to GP to get a recognised race license for pavement track days ? Just spent a week at area 27 and I have the road racing bug again. Apparently solo2/autocross and VR practice aren't enough to go out solo on the track. I can do a course there but it would be easier to do it somewhere in Alberta.

Also I've owned and been in fast acceleration cars. This thing brakes and turns in so hard it gave me sea sickness.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Castrol Raceway. NASCC every spring holds a weekend race license course.

Trackjunkies also hosts HPDE at Castrol Raceway at least once a month.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McTinkerson posted:

Castrol Raceway. NASCC every spring holds a weekend race license course.

Trackjunkies also hosts HPDE at Castrol Raceway at least once a month.

Thanks. Any idea what a good website is for canadian racecars for sale ? racingjunk seems to be all american listings. trying to decide between modern miata, rx8, 370z etc. S2000's really seem to be holding their value. I want something I can gut and toss a cage in and maybe just upgrade brake pads and tires.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 18, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

copart!

You don't need a license to buy salvage cars in alberta

https://www.copart.com/lot/37552979
https://www.copart.com/lot/47903169
https://www.copart.com/lot/46771559

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

copart!

You don't need a license to buy salvage cars in alberta

https://www.copart.com/lot/37552979
If that thing was a manual I'd be all over that for a winter project. I'd love to put turbo Mezger in my 996.. and that engine is worth serious coin assuming it's serviceable and especially if the accessories are still there. I'm thinking $25K for the motor isn't grotesquely off.

Edit: On closer look, I think it is a manual, that ad is a typo :monocle:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That BMW isn't bad either. I'm sure there are fiberglass fenders available. Gut it except the 2 front seats, cage, window nets, fire extinguisher. I'll watch that one and if it's still cheap before my birthday when the auction ends I might grab it.

Also thinking of getting short coilovers made for my wildcat xx. I need to get that thing down low for ice racing anyways. Gonna do some measurements and use qa1's spring calculator to get some spring rates for it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

If that thing was a manual I'd be all over that for a winter project. I'd love to put turbo Mezger in my 996.. and that engine is worth serious coin assuming it's serviceable and especially if the accessories are still there. I'm thinking $25K for the motor isn't grotesquely off.

Edit: On closer look, I think it is a manual, that ad is a typo :monocle:

Vin decoder suggests it's a 6-speed, looks like an H-pattern on the shifter.

It's also non-repairable, and pure sale, which means it can't be rebuilt and registered, and there is no reserve, it sells to the highest bidder.

It's the unicorn of unicorn of salvage cars.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait a moment. That c5 Vette has a supercharger on it.

Can't tell if that's a vortech, procharger or Paxton though. I've had a Paxton Novi 2000 on a Mustang and I think the stamp was black writing so I'm leaning towards some model of vortech.

64fanatic
Oct 21, 2008

So crazy? DON'T MIND IF I DO!
I got rid of my Celica, got a mint RWD '94 Silverado. Not good for winter, so looking for a winter beater, especially with this salt spray drama in Edmonton.

What should I be getting for winter? Preferably something that doesn't look like depression on wheels under 7k that won't break constantly like my '01 Celica GTS did. I looked at a '11 Chevy Impala for $6500 and felt worse just by being in it's presence. Wouldn't mind a bigger engine as I just drive 15min of highway back and forth on work days. Don't really care, can be 4 or 6 cyl too. Nissan FWD V8's reliable? I see a few for sale.

64fanatic fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 26, 2019

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Lexus LS400 on winter tires.
If you're mechanically inclined or want to be with our help, Lexus LS400 with strut spacers and winter rated all terrains.

Edit: Like this https://youtu.be/gkKWUkmIfQE

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

Lexus LS400 loving ANYTHING on GOOD winter tires.
Even your RWD Sierra will do just fine when it's wearing good winter tires on all four corners. Pick up some steelies from the junkyard, order a set of whatever has the best reviews + performance evaluation at TireRack. Or, yeah, buy another car that you like (sounds like maybe get away from GM? if being in a car's presence makes you sad) and get steelies & winters for it.

EDIT: SSS, tell us again your story / stories about burbling past stranded lifted idiots on Calgary's wintery roads in your little Miata.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Even your RWD Sierra will do just fine when it's wearing good winter tires on all four corners. Pick up some steelies from the junkyard, order a set of whatever has the best reviews + performance evaluation at TireRack. Or, yeah, buy another car that you like (sounds like maybe get away from GM? if being in a car's presence makes you sad) and get steelies & winters for it.

EDIT: SSS, tell us again your story / stories about burbling past stranded lifted idiots on Calgary's wintery roads in your little Miata.
Both Subarus konked out for some reason that week and it was -31°C, sort of like it's getting now. On my way to work, you have to go up a pretty steep hill, then past a really stupid T-intersection that the city installed in the 50s. Then you go back down the other side of the super steep hill and plummet at high speed towards a 16-lane intersection (four in each direction) that people constantly run the red light at.

My only choice of vehicle was the race Miata, which sat in my alley and which a pair of neighbourhood cats would frequently gently caress underneath.

Let me tell you about this loving Miata, okay? I had a completely stripped 91 Miata with a 4" straight-pipe exhaust on PSS9 coilovers. It was intended for use with track days and autocross. There were holes in the trunk and the trunk floor where the giant 3-foot-tall functional aero once stood, and there were holes in the cabin floor from where the solid Kirkey race seat sat before I replaced it with a stock Miata seat so I could survive driving from place to place without dying. The hardtop was red, the car was white, and all of the paint on the body was flaking off in giant patches. You could see where every sponsor sticker used to be, because it was now primer. At idle, the wing mirrors would slowly tilt upwards until they were looking at the sky. The radio would cut out under hard left cornering. Occasionally, using the right turn signal would just stick it on - dim - and then refuse to actually signal even though the relay was clicking away inside the car.

It had one benefit: studded KW22s. Unfortunately, one of them was mounted backwards on the rear axle, so if I was too aggressive with either the throttle or engine braking, the car would yaw like a freshly shot crane in the snow. If I lifted on ice, it would pull a Tonya Harding, including the part where it would shatter my leg and end my career.

Also, the heat didn't work. This is the first time I tried to use it since purchase. We found out later this was because some idiot installed a high temperature racing thermostat but failed to peel off the adhesive paper of the thermostat gasket in lieu of Using More RTV, so the remnants of the paper cover were clogging the jiggle pin. Did I mention it was -31? Good thing the exhaust was hot.. when the engine was above 3000 rpm, which didn't happen when I was stuck in traffic.

The PSS9s were set to full low, and 4/5ths of full stiff. This thing was like riding a Crazy Carpet on the highway. Also, open diff, and it was one of those "I'm going to blow up now" early Miata diffs, to boot, so not too much wheelspin or I'd be walking home. I had the replacement in my basement. My strategy was to use momentum. As long as I had a good enough run, it was light enough that it would just skip along the 12 inches of snow outside my house and climb Struggle Street (did I mention my house is on a 6% grade and claimed two cars from blown engines alone last winter?)

So I'm sitting there, slowly working my way up this steep-rear end hill in stop and go traffic, occasionally giving it some pedal or steering wheel when I'm getting a little too close to the edge of the road, and sometimes some handbrake when I want to give my left foot a rest. I think I probably used up like 1200 calories just getting this thing to go up a road in a straight line. My hands don't work. My toes don't work. I can no longer feel my nose. The foam earplugs I had been using have frozen solid, lost their squishiness, and fallen out of my ear.

Eventually I reach the top, and at the top - this T-intersection - is a brand new Nissan Pathfinder, stuck about two car lengths off the road in the snow. It looked like it slid off the side of the road trying to make a light turn, and then got completely stuck in about half an inch of snow.

The driver is standing next to it, visibly irate. He gets even angrier when he sees my tiny hairdresser's car burble past his Manly Four By Four Offroader at 110dB, without a care in the world. I smile and wave.

It was the best car I ever drove in the snow.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 27, 2019

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

64fanatic posted:

I got rid of my Celica, got a mint RWD '94 Silverado. Not good for winter, so looking for a winter beater, especially with this salt spray drama in Edmonton.

What should I be getting for winter? Preferably something that doesn't look like depression on wheels under 7k that won't break constantly like my '01 Celica GTS did. I looked at a '11 Chevy Impala for $6500 and felt worse just by being in it's presence. Wouldn't mind a bigger engine as I just drive 15min of highway back and forth on work days. Don't really care, can be 4 or 6 cyl too. Nissan FWD V8's reliable? I see a few for sale.

You should release me from the eternal pain and suffering buy my E46.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It was the best car I ever drove in the snow.

My man. This is pure poetry. Thank you.

MrChips posted:

You should release me from the eternal pain and suffering buy my E46.
This is the correct answer. My best-ever car in the snow was a 1996 BMW 328is wearing just lovely General Tire Arctic Altimaxes with studs. Driving from Calgary to Saskatoon after Christmas through a blizzard just east of Cowtown, we were rock solid, like driving on a well-maintained gravel road, while the soccer-mom SUVs and Big Dumb Pickups in front and behind us were DORIFARUUUUU!!!! on straight, level highway.

With "all season" tires, my bimmer was undriveable on Saskatoon's snow-covered roads. With studded Altimaxes, it was invincible.
SD 135 On the Ice by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Until it overheated and warped the heads and broke the variable timing system, at -30 C immediately after driving across the frozen surface of the South Saskatchewan River.
SD 135 Towed 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It looks like I'll be canonballing out to Kamloops this coming weekend with DoritoPower to pick up a turbo S5 FC he just bought.

At the moment, the bed is empty going there and back. Anyone need anything brought back?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slidebite, you still alive down there after this weekend of snow?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had a cts4 sport package with snow tires on it as a winter car a few years ago. That was probably my fav winter car of all time. with the 40/60 awd system or whatever it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

McTinkerson posted:

Slidebite, you still alive down there after this weekend of snow?
I was actually just finishing a cruise when snowmageddon hit, made it back last night. Sheesh, we got hit hard. Highways were perfectly fine yesterday though, could have ridden my bike if it wasn't cold as hell. Ditches still littered with vehicles. Parking lots were plowed and snow was piled 12' high like it was February.