Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sagebrush posted:

It's always best to shift to an appropriate gear before you enter the turn and then ride through it under power.

Not a fan of trail braking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can trail-brake just fine without shifting or even touching the clutch in the turn. :confused:

What do you think trail braking is? Can you do it on an electric bike with no transmission?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Slavvy posted:

I'll be interested to see if replacing the head fixes it because that sounds like a fueling issue to me.

:sigh: the franchise owner implied it was a kit and they were replacing the valves, too. Everything I read on forums makes me think it has to do with brief moments of not getting enough oxygen for a myriad of reasons. But, they're doing it all as warranty which means they are doing what Enfield tells them to based on my/their report of the problem; they do not disagree about what the problem is, so we'll see if this fixes it.

It's a simple bike and by far the most common cause of issues like this seems to be that either the intake or exhaust to the fuel tank gets tangled or clogged. There is a charcoal filter box under the block that it's routed to. However, those lines did not seem obstructed and disconnecting them did not have any useful effect.

One of my coworkers in India (Dehli based, rides all over) has dealt with Enfield a lot there, and assures me that the stuff I did (at the suggestion of the dealership) would have invalidated my warranty over there for sure, as would having done the first 300-mile oil change myself. It seems like Enfield is trying hard to make people happy in the US, but in India where they're selling 20x as many bikes at 40-50% the US sticker cost, they don't give a gently caress. He also told me people he knows don't trust the Himalayan, and prefer to rent the old iron-block Bullets, both out of superstition but also because they're heavier and therefore less likely to wash out on terrible roads. Rent, because they treat Enfields as dispose-a-bikes for rough (and dangerous as all get-out looking) treks. Then he sent me a news video of some poor bastard crossing a rock bridge on a dual sport getting washed away, probably to their doom.

I don't think I'd ride a motorcycle if I went to rural India.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 20, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I rented a Bullet 300 (i.e. the same model they've been making for 60 years) when I was in India and it was great for the situation, actually. It had wallowing suspension, which was well suited to the potholed roads. The throttle was extremely unresponsive -- felt like you had to crank it 180 degrees to get any power -- but that made the bike very easy to ride and non-twitchy, which is also a benefit on bouncy roads. The brakes were pretty decent and the bars were nice and wide. Comfortable seat. Sounded like a helicopter going WAPWAPWAPWAPWAPWAP.

Overall a good bike.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sagebrush posted:

You can trail-brake just fine without shifting or even touching the clutch in the turn. :confused:

What do you think trail braking is? Can you do it on an electric bike with no transmission?

It was the "ride through it under power" bit that I interpreted as not referencing trail braking.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Supradog posted:

Some bicyclist without a helmet ran a red
Bicycle came from the left here.

Um, the light is clearly red for the motorcyclist, Supra

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nashville instagrammer (almost certainly) fakes a crash for likes

https://jalopnik.com/a-guide-to-making-your-next-motorcycle-wreck-more-insta-1837405134

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, okay, yeah. By "under power" I meant with the wheel locked to the engine, i.e. with the clutch engaged rather than freewheeling. Not necessarily that you would be accelerating from the moment you lean in. Maybe there's a better way to put that.

Freewheeling on your motorcycle at any time is generally not a great move. It increases your response time when power is required, risks destabilizing the bike if you dump the clutch at speed with the engine idling, and can even cause engine damage in some situations. Some poster I can't remember the name of a few years ago blew up his engine by coasting down a mountain with the transmission in gear and the clutch held in -- the transmission was spinning at road speed but the engine-driven oil pump was idling, and because it's a shared sump the transmission ran out of oil and seized. And of course while coasting downhill in neutral is safe for the transmission, what if you're going 60 miles an hour and accidentally tap the transmission into first? Bad day.

Freewheeling: not even once

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, okay, yeah. By "under power" I meant with the wheel locked to the engine, i.e. with the clutch engaged rather than freewheeling. Not necessarily that you would be accelerating from the moment you lean in. Maybe there's a better way to put that.

Freewheeling on your motorcycle at any time is generally not a great move. It increases your response time when power is required, risks destabilizing the bike if you dump the clutch at speed with the engine idling, and can even cause engine damage in some situations. Some poster I can't remember the name of a few years ago blew up his engine by coasting down a mountain with the transmission in gear and the clutch held in -- the transmission was spinning at road speed but the engine-driven oil pump was idling, and because it's a shared sump the transmission ran out of oil and seized. And of course while coasting downhill in neutral is safe for the transmission, what if you're going 60 miles an hour and accidentally tap the transmission into first? Bad day.

Freewheeling: not even once

I rode my 50cc to my mate's place in the countryside a few km away and he told me on the way back, when I go to descend a notable hill, to stop at the top, push off with my feet and let gravity do the work. The reasoning being I could exceed the ~85kmh it would otherwise peak at due to engine braking.

And it worked, I got to 95kmh! Then I got on the gas like an idiot while still going much faster than the mechanical top speed; to this day it remains the closest I've ever gotten to a highside.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

gently caress this person, also gently caress all Instagram "influencers"

FFS you can still see the outline of some sort of applicator used to artfully apply the "road rash" to her skin, road rash that looks like a light smear of grease, not the horrible dirty hamburger look of skin that's been sliding across pavement.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 20, 2019

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I just changed the battery on my Sportster, and I can only conclude that Sportsters appear to be designed by space monkeys.

It's literally designed to loosen your negative terminal screw as you push the battery sideways into the frame.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epalm posted:

I just changed the battery on my Sportster, and I can only conclude that Sportsters appear to be designed by space monkeys.

It's literally designed to loosen your negative terminal screw as you push the battery sideways into the frame.

The really stupid thing is they weren't always like that, older sportsters have a fairly sensible battery layout, I'm not really sure why they thought making it a cartridge that slots into a hole was a good idea.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The really stupid thing is they weren't always like that, older sportsters have a fairly sensible battery layout, I'm not really sure why they thought making it a cartridge that slots into a hole was a good idea.

Does the battery go "ker-click" as you load it into the frame, like pushing a magazine into a gun? Because if yes the answer is obvious.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

gently caress this person, also gently caress all Instagram "influencers"

FFS you can still see the outline of some sort of applicator used to artfully apply the "road rash" to her skin, road rash that looks like a light smear of grease, not the horrible dirty hamburger look of skin that's been sliding across pavement.

Her pristine white overalls are still pristine and white, too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Back to the freewheeling: I've been trying to figure out why the MSF teaches you to grab the clutch in turns. My coworker did the BRC a few months ago and told me that was taught as a way to navigate corners, and was very surprised when I told him it was horrible and to never do it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Deeters posted:

Back to the freewheeling: I've been trying to figure out why the MSF teaches you to grab the clutch in turns. My coworker did the BRC a few months ago and told me that was taught as a way to navigate corners, and was very surprised when I told him it was horrible and to never do it.

I think your coworker probably misunderstood something.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Deeters posted:

I took the MSF a little over a year ago and the instructor most definitely did not teach clutching in on corners. In fact she made it a point to explain why it's a bad idea for all the reasons listed above. I went into the course expecting to learn nothing because I'd ridden off and on over the years but I quickly realized that there were a lot of basic skills practiced that really helped me gain proficiency in a safe environment.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I bet the instructors taught feathering the clutch with constant throttle during low-speed maneuvers, which is a good thing. They did not teach clutching in going around a corner at speed. The friend just got it all confused because it’s a lot of info in short time to assimilate.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Yeah in my MSF (9~ years ago?) they definitely didn't teach clutching through a turn. They made it a point to talk about braking/downshifting before a turn and accelerating through the turn. It probably took me about a year of riding to really unpack all the lessons they taught in the course, it's pretty dense if you've never ridden before.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

tranten posted:

The friend just got it all confused because it’s a lot of info in short time to assimilate.
Yup, and everyone in my class of ~20 passed, including the person who dropped their bike an hour before the test. I took it in 2012, having literally never ridden prior.

Spent that whole summer messing around on 30mph suburban roads before I touched anything faster. I remember nearly making GBS threads myself the first time I rode across one of the bridges into DC, something that quickly became routine.

Now when I'm back in that area, in a Lyft at night on Route 66, the idea of riding on it seems hella scary. I've gotten used to slow country roads, and I think I prefer it that way. Deer and moose notwithstanding...

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 21, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My rider training (Canada) was also just a massive dump of info that was hard to digest. I remember my first day went relatively well, but then when I got to the parking lot on the second day they had us do some complicated (well, relatively speaking) traffic simulation first thing right off the bat with no time to get warmed up on the bike and it was a disaster for me. Having spent eight hours riding the previous day it’s like I forgot everything overnight. Zero feeling for the clutch, my “instincts” for the bike had disappeared and it was pretty nerve wracking trying to do low speed turns and hand signals while trying to re-learn the clutch.

I emailed them and suggested that maybe a twenty minute “get re-acquainted with your bike” session might be a good first-thing-in-the-morning activity.

I lowsided my bike braking on a sharp swerve but still passed (on a sprained foot, no less :black101: ) with my only point deductions being for time since it was difficult to shift with a hosed up foot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

When I moved back to Canada I had to redo my license and decided to go the weekend rider training course-get your M2 at the end route, partly for ease and convenience, partly because I figure no training is ever a waste no matter how good you think you are. You can always learn something. So I took the opportunity to go back and practice some basic skills under an experienced instructor's eye, and maybe unlearn some bad habits I've picked up over the years (like operating a wet clutch nicely and smoothly). And I learned some new skills, too, like how to do sick-rear end stoppies on a Grom, something you don't get to do much of on on a grown-up bike commuting in traffic.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 21, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When it comes time to do my M2 exit test I'm going to go back to RTI to do their skills course. Plus their exam counts for the M so I'm happy having them do it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got yelled at for doing sick stoppies on my FZ during my advanced MSF course. :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

I got yelled at for doing sick stoppies on my FZ during my advanced MSF course. :(

I was enthusiastically encouraged to do wheelies on the loan ER-5 on my DAS course.

(On the closed course the school was based in, after the day's training was over, and on the proviso that if I hosed up it happened out on the road somehow).

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
When I did the MSF back in like 2003, they told me I could not participate because the hiking shoes I was wearing were not tall enough. As a 17 year old who waited 6 months for a slot in the class I was devastated. As I sulked out of there I drove by a Goodwill and ran inside, desperately looking for anything that was taller. I found some lovely knock-off SOREL snow boots for $7 but they were two sizes too small for me. I crammed my foot into them and hauled rear end back to the class. They were sympathetic and slightly impressed I found a replacement shoe so quickly, and let me re-join the class that I was now about 20 minutes late for. My feet hurt so god drat being crammed in those tiny snow boots all day in 90+ degree heat. I donated them again after the class was over. Good times!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elviscat posted:

My ERC course instructor made me brake harder and harder until I was repeatedly doing stoppies.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think your coworker probably misunderstood something.

I had a feeling he did. I took it too long ago to really remember what was in the course. He at least took my advice and bought the Ninjette with ABS.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

In my MSF (2016), I was told to “coast in, throttle out” in an exercise that was a very low-speed 90° turn with a narrow (I’m remembering it feeling like 3.5-4 feet) lane on either side.

I don’t know if the instructor intended “coast” to mean “pull in the clutch” or just “close the throttle”, but I definitely interpreted it as the first and was not corrected. I had to teach myself not to do that once I got on the actual road.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Every bike I've ridden, to varying degrees, has a little "null" zone in between throttle-closed and throttle-open (when in motion, not from stopped) where there's a little jolt, which I guess is due to throttle cable play, or chain slack, or both (?), so after braking and downshifting, when I actually flick into the turn, I almost always have to feather the clutch to smoothly transition from no-throttle to throttle (or coast to no-coast, or decel to accel, not sure how to describe it).

If I don't do this, it's generally OK too, but it's not a perfect transition, there's just a little bump/jolt.

Does everyone do this? Have I developed a bad habit?

Edit: Re-reading, I didn’t really describe it well. Approaching the turn, I get on the brakes, downshift X times (while braking), then flick into the turn and ease off the brakes (trail braking?) as I hold throttle steady and eventually increase throttle. Somewhere as I ease off the brakes, I find I need to feather the clutch to keep everything smooth.

I’ve never been to the track or taken a course other than the MSF (or whatever equivalent we have in Ontario), so this is just what I’ve learned to do myself, but I don’t really know if that’s all “correct”.

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 22, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I guess some bikes might have a big enough jump at that spot so it's always a little jumpy, but I usually find I can learn the sweet spot and be slow and smooth enough that there's no discernable jump. Might have something to do with timing as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epalm posted:

Every bike I've ridden, to varying degrees, has a little "null" zone in between throttle-closed and throttle-open (when in motion, not from stopped) where there's a little jolt, which I guess is due to throttle cable play, or chain slack, or both (?), so after braking and downshifting, when I actually flick into the turn, I almost always have to feather the clutch to smoothly transition from no-throttle to throttle (or coast to no-coast, or decel to accel, not sure how to describe it).

If I don't do this, it's generally OK too, but it's not a perfect transition, there's just a little bump/jolt.

Does everyone do this? Have I developed a bad habit?

Edit: Re-reading, I didn’t really describe it well. Approaching the turn, I get on the brakes, downshift X times (while braking), then flick into the turn and ease off the brakes (trail braking?) as I hold throttle steady and eventually increase throttle. Somewhere as I ease off the brakes, I find I need to feather the clutch to keep everything smooth.

I’ve never been to the track or taken a course other than the MSF (or whatever equivalent we have in Ontario), so this is just what I’ve learned to do myself, but I don’t really know if that’s all “correct”.

This is a combination of revs, bike character, technique and the physical limitations of petrol engines attached to imperfect drivetrains. What you're doing is pretty bad technique, what's happening is you're fixating on that little jolt and getting anxious about opening the throttle, so you've created a strategy to avoid that anxiety. Unfortunately that strategy is really really bad for other parts of your riding and no doubt comes with a bunch of other learned mistakes.

The key is to not give a gently caress about that little jolt. Nobody ever in history crashed because of the initial crack of the throttle. You cannot upset the rear tire with 10% throttle even in the rain even on a big powerful bike. If you just do it anyway and stop worrying you'll find everything becomes smoother because you're able to get on the gas earlier, with less lean angle, which makes the jerk less psychologically scary.

Again: clutches are for walking speeds/taking off from a stop, downshifts and wheelies. That's it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Leather and armor plating is all well and good but have you perhaps considered reinforcing your bones from the inside?

Went today to get the bandages and staples and stitches removed. Four more weeks in a reinforced boot before I can walk without crutches.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm no doctor but I'd say that's broken

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Doesn't the thin extension bone to the right also get a rod? :(

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There's not enough bone there to put a rod in. I'm a little surprised they didn't put a plate and screws in given all of those fragments.

That said, it still looks lined up well enough at this angle, and since it's a tib/fib fracture and they put a rod in his tibia, he's gonna be in a boot and non weight bearing for a few weeks anyway. That would hopefully give the fibula enough time to knit back together. The bone will just end up with a lump in it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Strife posted:

Leather and armor plating is all well and good but have you perhaps considered reinforcing your bones from the inside?

Went today to get the bandages and staples and stitches removed. Four more weeks in a reinforced boot before I can walk without crutches.

You got some big ol calves boy.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You got some big ol calves boy.

The calf raise machine at the gym is a lot of fun.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

enfield seems to be sending parts to the dealer one box at a time, so now they have the cylinder head and the valves but are missing some ball bearing or other. So now they say it will be done next week... which is when I was planning on trying to get it anyway, but at this point I'll believe it when I see it.

I will be wholly unsurprised if they get all this poo poo back together and they say "yea so actually your cylinder head was probably fine, but there's a busted sensor in the fuel intake system...."

this mirrors the development process of a thing I am working on in a spooky scary way :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Washed the bike before it started raining

Probably The end of my riding season :( I wont be buying a bike until spring. And I already want an adv bike, sport bike, a historic and a cruiser. Good I barely have space for one bike.