Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Limp Bizkit rage meter role play was one of the funniest calls in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The Limp Bizkit rage meter role play was one of the funniest calls in forever.

It really was good. I was impressed at how quickly the caller caught on to to the bit.

Juice Packets
Sep 22, 2005

They're Handy But They Leak Like Fuck!™
So.. That bit at the end of this week's show has got me worried the same way a text message saying "We need to talk" would

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've been working my way through a bunch of Wurster calls, and I got to part 3 of the Mother 13 saga

Which is absolutely the darkest series of callstheyve ever done

If you forgot, Mother 13 was the band that only played corporate festivals, failed, and got booked to play on top of everest

It's amazing, it's a Wurster character being forced to confront what a goddamn idiot they are

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I still think about the random Kermit Gosnell namedrop that made it into a call a couple of years ago. I don't even remember the context.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Only Best Show could do a comedy bit about a bunch of people dying on Mount Everest

Fake edit every couple days I mutter "darkness on the Rivers edge in the USA colon from greetings to the promise colon Bruce Springsteen colon the stories behind the albums"

Edit two Wurster saying whaaaaaaat is one of my favorite sounds

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 15, 2019

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Edit two Wurster saying whaaaaaaat is one of my favorite sounds

:same:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hot take the best calls are the rare one's where other people get involved

The first Mike healy call (Tom commenting on a baby being born two weeks premature) is great for this

"I heard you say life begins two hours before conception, that's messed up"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Collette is the best regular caller in a long time.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/bestshow4life/status/1131010558298349569

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The LA episode last night was really funny. Jon Daly and Hayes Davenport were guests. The sound fucks up a bit because it sounds like they’re doing it over Skype, but it was a top tier episode.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
[quote="BENGHAZI 2" post="494267176"]
Only Best Show could do a comedy bit about a bunch of people dying on Mount Everest

Fake edit every couple days I mutter "darkness on the Rivers edge in the USA colon from greetings to the promise colon Bruce Springsteen colon the stories behind the albums"

/quote]

My wife doesn't listen to BEST SHOW much but she heard this one live and still mentions it to this day, oh and the fact that Bruce Springsteen sells magazine subscriptions during his concerts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love whenever Tom busts out his Garrison keillor impression. The bit about him buying toilet spycams loving killed me.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Newest Best Show Bests is from the episode where Tommy Stinson bailed. Wurster calls in to stop Tom from losing it, and while their call is mostly riffing, it really sounds like Jon is talking Tom down from a ledge.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

Binowru posted:

Newest Best Show Bests is from the episode where Tommy Stinson bailed. Wurster calls in to stop Tom from losing it, and while their call is mostly riffing, it really sounds like Jon is talking Tom down from a ledge.

Thanks for mentioning this. One of my favorite post-wfmu moments of the show - deff gonna give this a relisten

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's the Tenth Anniversary of the Gathering of Juggalos!

Someone reminded Tom on twitter, and he got really sad.

Plenty of veiled references to how much the split with PFT hurt him.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 22, 2019

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I hope Tom's ok. That sounded pretty dark.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah that twitter rant was a big bummer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did he do an off night show or something?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Did he do an off night show or something?

He recorded a patreon thing the other night, but I think everyone is talking about his posting on twitter last night rather than something he said about twitter.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

he was recording some stuff late last night but then in the middle of the night posted a long twitter thread. I won't post them all but you can go check it out. here's a couple

https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/1153202379090747392

https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/1153211649492475909

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

fez_machine posted:

It's the Tenth Anniversary of the Gathering of Juggalos!

Someone reminded Tom on twitter, and he got really sad.

Plenty of veiled references to how much the split with PFT hurt him.

we are never going to get the full story of this.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Iirc there was some speculation that the video he did with Tim Heidecker where Tom comes to LA and asks Tim to set him up with producers to which Tim kind of blows him off was based on an experience with PFT. Also I guess they worked on a show together and it didn’t work out.

Basically I get that it’s a personal thing that he doesn’t want to get into but when he mentions it vaguely and offhand multiple times, you kind of have to expect that people are going to want to know what he’s talking about :shrug:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
What a historic show last night. I love that vaping was the thing that finally pushed Tom over the edge into dropping an f-bomb on mic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh man I gotta hear this lol. Ended up listening to the Mueller poo poo all day and forgot about the Best Show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Bunk posted:

What a historic show last night. I love that vaping was the thing that finally pushed Tom over the edge into dropping an f-bomb on mic.

WHAT

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can't look smart while you are vaping. I've seen otherwise smart people vape and look like loving....oh no!!!!! I cursed on the air!

As a self loathing vaper I was dying during that whole rant. It's all true.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just heard tom say gently caress and I genuinely don't know what world I live in anymore. Will the sun rise tomorrow?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I just heard tom say gently caress and I genuinely don't know what world I live in anymore. Will the sun rise tomorrow?

I just randomly put on the Best Show for the first time in, like, two years, and I heard Tom say gently caress and I'm soooo happy.

I scoured through this thread to find the Best Show on WFMU archive, and it's been my life for the last two weeks. Tom was such a dick in the first few years.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

DangerDummy! posted:

I just randomly put on the Best Show for the first time in, like, two years, and I heard Tom say gently caress and I'm soooo happy.

I scoured through this thread to find the Best Show on WFMU archive, and it's been my life for the last two weeks. Tom was such a dick in the first few years.

I've been listening from the beginning for the past few weeks as well, still in early 2001. I think his host persona is already fairly present but he's definitely still learning how to run the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've always wanted to do that. Is there a good way to get the WFMU archives show onto my phone? Can't remember if you can download them or not.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

veni veni veni posted:

I've always wanted to do that.

I thought you meant you wanted to be an fmu dj! Was getting ready to encourage you to volunteer as I’ve known a couple people who got shows that way.

But oh well, I don’t know. I don’t see the show in their app :shrug:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

I've always wanted to do that. Is there a good way to get the WFMU archives show onto my phone? Can't remember if you can download them or not.

I believe that if you make 50 posts on the FoT forum, you get access to download them. I am not certain about this.

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
The show has honestly been great since Tom said gently caress. It was good before that too, but if you're reading this and haven't listened in a while the Hayes + Jonah Ray episode and this week's episode are ones to check out.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Rapidly Going Deaf > The BEST Show with Tom Scharpling: The Show Has Honestly Been Great Since Tom Said ‘gently caress’

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the show in general has been the best it's been since Tom left WFMU for the last couple of months. I think it struggled to find it's groove when so many of the calls switched from weirdos to fanboys but Tom is just being more weird and candid than ever.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I think the show in general has been the best it's been since Tom left WFMU for the last couple of months. I think it struggled to find it's groove when so many of the calls switched from weirdos to fanboys but Tom is just being more weird and candid than ever.

I fell off pretty hard in the post WFMU era, but going back a few episodes since I started up again, it's been drat great.

Is it cool to post the backlog of WFMU episodes here? I've got the link if it's okay.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Just had a memory from a recent episode that made me laugh. Tom tries to remember the lyrics to a Weezer song and says to Pat or someone in the studio “You don’t like em? Why not? They write nursery rhymes.”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

Is it cool to post the backlog of WFMU episodes here? I've got the link if it's okay.

Yes, please do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Yes, please do.

https://mega.nz/#F!IhMUHSbT!bd9x_zzfj2lFfm8_dkvD_A