Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I kinda like the grineer, but I don’t pay massive attention to the fluff outside the quests themselves. Am I correct in thinking that the origin story of the modern grineer is that millennia ago they suddenly started being slaughtered in the thousands by genocidal, immortal, godlike creatures, for reasons that are entirely inscrutable and who seem completely immune to the grineers pleads for mercy? As a desperate last ditch effort to avoid extinction by Tenno, they started creating massive cloning facilities and their entire society is now a fascist, authoritarian, expansionist, empire almost entirely geared towards industrializing planets for cloning factories, so they can churn out more clones and than the murder gods can kill?

Not quite, they were originally the cloned slave workers for the Orokin. During the Old War, one of them surprised the Orokin when he managed to deal some healthy damage to the enemy. The Orokin knew a useful tool when they saw it, and used him as the base of a new clone army.

Millennia latter, and the Orokin are gone and the Grineer have been clones of clones for so long things go wrong fast, leading to extensive prosthetics and instability. They're probably the dominant force in the solar system, held in check by the Corpus and Infested, with Tenno keeping the balance of power from tipping in any direction.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also the grineer backstabbing themselves whenever possible.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah you can blame the Orokin or their leftovers for like... everything wrong with the current state of the solar system.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh. Orokin or their leftovers IS everyone in the solar system.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Yeah it seems like the Orokin made sure they were the only show in town. Head canon says they probably fought their way to dominance against some group that loved AI to make them hate it so much.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sorry, I meant remnants of the actual Orokin ruling caste who survived and their descendants are now like Corpus Executives or some poo poo, doing NEW horrible atrocities. I don't think the Orokin are directly responsible for repossessing people's body parts, for example. They dealt more in biotech than mechanical augmentation/prosthesis.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Player culture in this game is so surreal compared to pretty much every other online game ever. An experienced player I was in a Fortuna tier 5 bounty PUG with PMed me after we completed the bounty not to bitch me out for doing something sub-optimal, but to compliment my fashionframe skillz and tell me I did really well. What even is this? Not that I'm complaining...

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Player culture in this game is so surreal compared to pretty much every other online game ever. An experienced player I was in a Fortuna tier 5 bounty PUG with PMed me after we completed the bounty not to bitch me out for doing something sub-optimal, but to compliment my fashionframe skillz and tell me I did really well. What even is this? Not that I'm complaining...

It's a clever part of Warframes design in that it's always good to have other players in your team but don't actually need to rely on those players or even communicate with them and can't be held back by them save for a few notable exceptions (Spy missions, Fracking, Dolons, some fucker playing a +range Limbo).

i.e. other players are always a passive boon even when they're being dribbing morons and there's few/no systems that induce toxic behaviour by pitting players against each other as in other mmos, so the actively friendly players are much more visible even if they're not even actually more common than in other games/they aren't being driven away by the toxic players.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Nickiepoo posted:

It's a clever part of Warframes design in that it's always good to have other players in your team but don't actually need to rely on those players or even communicate with them and can't be held back by them save for a few notable exceptions (Spy missions, Fracking, Dolons, some fucker playing a +range Limbo).

i.e. other players are always a passive boon even when they're being dribbing morons and there's few/no systems that induce toxic behaviour by pitting players against each other as in other mmos, so the actively friendly players are much more visible even if they're not even actually more common than in other games/they aren't being driven away by the toxic players.

also the draconic chat moderation, chuds and idiots simply get timeouts or bans

to me that btw is one of the best indicators how well this game is doing

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
I will chime in with and agree that this is a bizarrely friendly online community.

I played for a few months when the game first came out and got bored as it was pretty one dimensional at the time. a friend talked me into trying it out ago like two months ago and wow I wouldnt believe its the same game. But I came back right during the plague star event where everyone piles into the plains of eidolon and rushes from objective to objective to farm up in demand, limited time gear.

Well having just came back from a 5 year hiatus I did not have a fancy archwing jet pack, or even a vent kid hoverboard so I was just running from point to point, as everyone else rocketed thru the sky passed me and usually cleared the objective before I ever reached it. No one ever complained that I was contributing essentially nothing, which was surprising, but even more surprising was that people would tell me about archwings and k-drives and try and teach me how to play, instead of just calling me a dumb rear end newb and berating me. What really got me was I had one group that kept queueing for the bounties over and over together and after the first set a guy switched frames so he could actually teleport me a few hundred meters at a time across the map to help me keep up. Keep in mind it would have been infinitely easier to just make a new group without me, and they all would have gotten things done quicker had they but they went out of their way to include me, even at the expense of their own event farming efficiency. Which was pretty mind boggling in 2019.

thats my story, I will a test to anyone on the fence about trying warframe, not only is the goon community super drama free and full off people tripping over themselves to help new players but the whole warframe community at large is super inclusive and wonderful.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Zereth posted:

Sorry, I meant remnants of the actual Orokin ruling caste who survived and their descendants are now like Corpus Executives or some poo poo, doing NEW horrible atrocities. I don't think the Orokin are directly responsible for repossessing people's body parts, for example. They dealt more in biotech than mechanical augmentation/prosthesis.

The Orokin would've solved this problem, as they solve all their problems, through unethical and morally repulsive genetic engineering without concern or compassion for the species they create or replace.

It's the Orokin thing.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Zereth posted:

From what I can follow of the backstory, it seems to me more that while modern survivors call the past society the Orokin Empire, the citizens of the Empire used the term "Orokin" for a specific ruling class that had climbed the ladder of transhumanity and guarded it so very few people were permitted to follow and join them. The Orokin rulers seem to have become so distant that I have a hard time thinking the Corpus or anybody are their biological descendants (or that they would have descendants rather than perpetuating their own immortality). The Corpus are more like spiritual descendants, scions of imperial citizens who took up the yoke of oligarchy in the absence of greater oligarchs.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Zereth posted:

The Orokin left no direct descendants just three survivors, as far as I'm aware. The "normal" humans left over, plus the Grineer, went on to found the various factions we see. These people culture were horribly twisted by the Orokin philosophy they were subjected to, which is why we see the Corpus elevating the lovely greed and corruption of the Orokin into a literal religion.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Orokin are to the current setting probably what the Romans were to Europe during the high middle ages or maybe more closely the Han to China during the 16 kingdoms

Goa Tse-tung posted:

but only with the Human Frames by Karu

https://twitter.com/tbgkaru/status/1032306802300469249

(dibs on Rhino :sweatdrop:)

edit oh I see he gave him some injuries, the previous version was unhurt, you know since Iron Skin

I thought I hated humanframe art because adding a normal face made them less alien, but turns out i'd only seen bad ones and these loving rule

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I was under the impression the tip-top Corpus leadership claims to be descended from the Orokin ruling caste.

EDIT: the Mesa in that twitter thread doesn't look cocky enough, and should still have her bandages over her eyes. Her default non-prime helmet is actually blindfolded because she wants more of a challenge. :argh:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 23, 2019

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I agree the community overall seems better than many other games. Although there seems to be a lot of people who play the game but don't really enjoy playing it. They just hop in and scream through the new content as rapidly as possible and get annoyed if someone is holding them up. I think better matchmaking would help a lot. It's annoying to have people dipping in and out of the squad in game just because everyone's set up isn't 100% optimized for whatever. No farmer's hands, just play the mission--it's super rare to fail completely. Stick around for 10 waves in Hydron even if your stuff is all leveled after five. If someone is dumped into a fissure late, wait for them to get to 10 too... stuff like that.

Do you like dags? I like dags. Here are my dags.

https://twitter.com/pnp171/status/1158754688159764481?s=20

https://twitter.com/pnp171/status/1164914667296137217?s=20

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I Am Just a Box posted:

From what I can follow of the backstory, it seems to me more that while modern survivors call the past society the Orokin Empire, the citizens of the Empire used the term "Orokin" for a specific ruling class that had climbed the ladder of transhumanity and guarded it so very few people were permitted to follow and join them. The Orokin rulers seem to have become so distant that I have a hard time thinking the Corpus or anybody are their biological descendants (or that they would have descendants rather than perpetuating their own immortality). The Corpus are more like spiritual descendants, scions of imperial citizens who took up the yoke of oligarchy in the absence of greater oligarchs.

The Corpus explicitly claim that the Directors are descended from actual Orokin, and are somewhat less explicitly but almost certainly full of poo poo.

(Also it's been long enough that a few of the Directors rose from the ranks anyways -- I believe including Nef Anyo. Part of why he's so extra is because he's new money and has to prove himself.)

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Much like the Grineer Queens, they are clearly from the Orokin society and using continuity on Grineer bodies in order to extend their lives. But they are almost certainly not of any of the Orokin ruling classes, it's much more likely they simply picked up gear that demanded the whole genetic authority thing, or otherwise wormed their way to the top with Orokin knowledge and tech, and have just been sitting atop the Grineer behind the scenes probably since shortly after the Orokin empire fell.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Avulsion posted:

This post is so wrong that it hurts.

Sorry I offended your waifu :rolleyes:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I thought it was rather obvious that the Corpus were basically middle managers/middle class people from the Orokin era, with lore to support this, and the obvious jokes about worshipping capitalism, temporarily embarrassed millionaires, etc. flowing from there.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I keep getting a hard reset on my pc almost everytime I boot up the game. It's only ever this game, and it only happens the first time I boot it up, after which it works. It's been going on for about maybe 2 or 3 weeks now.

Anyone else had this? I'm nosing around the official forums but thought I'd ask here too.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Driver issue maybe? I'd probably start by poking around in Event Viewer to see if there are any clues.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, checking your windows log what the last croaks were before it all went down can give some hints, otherwise that's a bit vague to give guesstimate tech-support.

Hi posted:

No one ever complained that I was contributing essentially nothing, which was surprising, but even more surprising was that people would tell me about archwings and k-drives and try and teach me how to play, instead of just calling me a dumb rear end newb and berating me. What really got me was I had one group that kept queueing for the bounties over and over together and after the first set a guy switched frames so he could actually teleport me a few hundred meters at a time across the map to help me keep up.
For me personally the reason for it is that i'm mostly paying it forward since thats how i learned some of the more unintuitive quirks, so i can relate to being lost or just randomly picking something and hoping for the best. Also despite ramping it to mr27 i can still remember how obscure a lot of that stuff is. If you ask politely for help chances are pretty good i'll carry you through whatever or give you a decent beginner price. And like some others said, as long as you don't actively, deliberately sabotage the objective or go down every 12 seconds it's really not bothersome at all.
Just don't insult kavats, who are all beautiful creatures (kubrows too), as i don't enjoy helping horrific monsters

smallmouth posted:

Although there seems to be a lot of people who play the game but don't really enjoy playing it. They just hop in and scream through the new content as rapidly as possible and get annoyed if someone is holding them up.
This is honestly kinda the most saddening aspect/attitude about this game (and possible genre?). DE briefly touched on this in the recent dev stream with "playing to have fun" vs "playing to get rewards" attitudes (sarcastic dev comment "huh that ship sailed a while ago didn't it"), and while i don't think those are nearly as exclusive as people sometimes think, sometimes the overwhelming priority of the latter, to the point that the game is characterized as an actively antagonistic and hostile obstacle to be mostly circumvented feels kinda depressing to me.

But of course i'm only 1600 hours in by this point, and i'm not gonna tell adults how to spend their free time or why to play certain games if that's what they're into.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 23, 2019

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've verified the warframe client and am currently updating my nvidia drivers, which actually happened to be a version or two out of date. Hopefully that sorts it.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

For me personally the reason for it is that i'm mostly paying it forward since thats how i learned some of the more unintuitive quirks, so i can relate to being lost or just randomly picking something and hoping for the best. Also despite ramping it to mr27 i can still remember how obscure a lot of that stuff is. If you ask politely for help chances are pretty good i'll carry you through whatever or give you a decent beginner price. And like some others said, as long as you don't actively, deliberately sabotage the objective or go down every 12 seconds it's really not bothersome at all.

Another theory is that everyone tools around in recently forma'd frames all the time. That is, they probably needed a carry yesterday.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Can you still steal other people's K drives?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Cactus posted:

I keep getting a hard reset on my pc almost everytime I boot up the game. It's only ever this game, and it only happens the first time I boot it up, after which it works. It's been going on for about maybe 2 or 3 weeks now.

Anyone else had this? I'm nosing around the official forums but thought I'd ask here too.

I had something like this., and I had to fully update my motherboard chipset drivers, followed by the motherboard audio drivers. That sorted mine out.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 24, 2019

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

smallmouth posted:

I think better matchmaking would help a lot. It's annoying to have people dipping in and out of the squad in game just because everyone's set up isn't 100% optimized for whatever. No farmer's hands, just play the mission--it's super rare to fail completely. Stick around for 10 waves in Hydron even if your stuff is all leveled after five. If someone is dumped into a fissure late, wait for them to get to 10 too... stuff like that.

The fissure thing is, in my experience, considered a Super Huge Party Foul and it's very rare that I'll see two people sitting on the pad to keep the timer up while one person desperately tries to collect. The staying-until-X-rounds thing is, in general, the opposite. That's just the way things roll.

The exception is dolon hunts. You have a limited amount of time to do it and soloing tridolon while ressing the MR5s armed with a Hek and no amp for 40 minutes is no bueno. I bail the second it's obvious I'm with three people looking for a NW carry.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hi how the heck do people deal with flying through the air and aiming and hitting enemy mobs.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

FunkyFjord posted:

Much like the Grineer Queens, they are clearly from the Orokin society and using continuity on Grineer bodies in order to extend their lives. But they are almost certainly not of any of the Orokin ruling classes, it's much more likely they simply picked up gear that demanded the whole genetic authority thing, or otherwise wormed their way to the top with Orokin knowledge and tech, and have just been sitting atop the Grineer behind the scenes probably since shortly after the Orokin empire fell.

The Queens are definitely full on Orokin, unless I missed something in the dialogue. The reason they don't look like Ballas is that they don't have access to the shiny Orokin technology to manufacture perfect bodies to transfer into. They've had to use what could be cobbled together from lovely Grineer tech, and the base stock is falling apart.

Them taking control of the Grineer seems like it was an opportunistic act by two desperate survivors in the last days of the Old War.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Hi how the heck do people deal with flying through the air and aiming and hitting enemy mobs.

Honest answer? A very large portion of players uses guns that require minimal aiming. Explosives, flamethrowers, etc - and beyond that, they kill stuff by using powers that don't require aiming like Saryn or Mesa. It also helps if you have strong mods/weapons and kill everything in one bullet.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Queens:The grineer queens were basically low nobility in Orokin society. They were pariah because they were twins and that was considered a taboo thing to the Orokin, so they were spared when all the top brass were killed by the Tenno. After the Orokin got all paranoid and genetically locked all their technology so only they could use it, the queens still had some permissions and used that as leverage to extort the original grineer into protecting them, and then double crossed them by putting an obedience gene into all the clones that came after. They didn't have access to everything though so they've had to make due with grineer bodies since.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ah ok I'm still at the stage where I need to hit dudes repeatedly in the head/butt box to kill them.

Another question: what's the best Syndicate to join.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Suda/Hexis/Steel or Loka/Perrin/Veil are the two comibinations that dont require juggling. You can level any of those groups without adversely affecting the other standings you're trying to raise.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Synthbuttrange posted:

Suda/Hexis/Steel or Loka/Perrin/Veil are the two comibinations that dont require juggling. You can level any of those groups without adversely affecting the other standings you're trying to raise.

I'm currently doing Suda/Hexis/Steel, with a long-term plan of getting them all to like me, just not as much.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Ah ok I'm still at the stage where I need to hit dudes repeatedly in the head/butt box to kill them.

Another question: what's the best Syndicate to join.

I would suggest hexis because you can get the large energy pizza bp from them. The associated syndicates that can gainnrep from them also drop the fluctus part wich is one of the best archwing weapons.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Doing sedna solo it was taking much longer to kill stuff despite reactors, when suddenly I decide "maybe i should start using forma since I'm sitting on 18 of them".

What a difference going from 0 forma to 4 forma each on braton prime and fulmin, this game rules.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Phobophilia posted:

Once you put thousands of hours into this thing, mid air bow headshots are the only way you can feel anything :v:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Random question, what fish do you all put in your two fish tanks? I was thinking small rare fish in the middle (so they can swim around) and small common in the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

Play more Quake