Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure what the point would be, like you said it would take a major overhaul of everything that they did in GB'16 to make it work, and everyone involved in that movie seemed like they made the movie they wanted to make(i.e. a non-stop improv quipfest). It just wasn't even close to what Ghostbusters fans wanted, but I think it was a case of trying to force a square peg into a round hole, so why use the same square peg again?

Controversial take, I kinda like the bad guy in GB16 and thought it was an interesting foil to the GBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Venkman is still one of the more interesting characters because a con man/charlatan/supernatural debunker working with the genuine supernatural is interesting, especially when he adjusts without a hitch and also seems along with Egon to be the one putting Dana through a battery of tests before investigating her apartment- probably because he knows that a lot of cranks and the mentally ill are going to be asking the Ghostbusters to deal with their problems along with the genuinely haunted.

There's a rare mix, I think, of taking the supernatural seriously to the point of considering where it fits into the real world. There's a likeable pragmatism to the Ghostbusters that carries over a bit into the cartoons, where they encounter all kinds of supernatural beings, some of which aren't necessarily malevolent. Even in GB2 Slimer helps out Tully.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Like, seriously, just look at the list of references, it's absurd. It would have honestly been a much stronger film if they hadn't been so obsessed with emulating the original.

While I agree that there were far too many references to the first movies, about half of those are major stretches to call them references.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't want to necessarily defend GB2016's script (really, my only problem with it), but taking lines out of the first two and just posting them would have a similar effect. I mean, I legit laughed at Holtzman and the 'our president is a plant' line near the end. And as much as the constant riffing and over-the-top ridiculousness didn't fit, I have to be honest... I laughed at the whole 'my cat' 'Mike Hat' conversation. It was super dumb, but whatever.

I found GB2016 a fine Paul Feig movie, but just a horrible GB movie.

How many lines from the original are straight up jingles or ads? I count one: it's Miller time! And that's barely a joke.

Holtzman is not a character. She's a cartoon that exists to cut to when you need a quip or a dance move.

I'd agree that Kevin was the best part of the film.

I think Feig is a poo poo director. He's like Kevin Smith if Smith didn't at least write his own stuff. Did you see the "action scenes"? Yikes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m still trying to figure out who said “we should get the guy from Heavyweights and Ski Patrol to direct this movie!”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The person who saw that Bridesmaids and Spy did pretty well at the box office.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ruddiger posted:

I’m still trying to figure out who said “we should get the guy from Heavyweights and Ski Patrol to direct this movie!”

You know Feig did a ton of work on the US Office, right? He was also the other half of Freaks and Geeks. He has a pretty good track record. I don't like all his stuff, but it's not like he was some obscure choice for this movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Feig has a good track record for non-effects-driven comedy, but that's... not really what I would have prioritized.

Someone like Taika Waititi who can both direct comedy and make big-budget Effects Movies well would have been better.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Someone like Taika Waititi who can both direct comedy and make big-budget Effects Movies well would have been better.

Most of the comedy throughout Thor Ragnarok was as bad as the improv in GB16.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Haven't had a chance to use this one in a while.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Haven't had a chance to use this one in a while.

Almost every joke in Thor Ragnarok is the joke from the beginning of the movie, where Thor keeps interrupting the fire dude cause his chain keeps twirling. The "interrupt the scene for awkward dialog" bit already sucks rear end, but Waititi repeats this bit with every character to the point where you just want them to shut the gently caress up and get on with the scene. He may as well have just edited in fart noises.

You don't have to hang a joke off of every scene.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:siren: Hasbro have acquired the master toy licence for Ghostbusters. Considering Hasbro have a fantastic process for reproducing actor’s likenesses for their Star Wars Black Series and Marvel Legends figures, that should work well for this too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope they do modern remakes from the classic real ghostbusters toyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai0hmixQHzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_KN20vICnA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ruddiger posted:

I hope they do modern remakes from the classic real ghostbusters toyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai0hmixQHzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_KN20vICnA

Holy gently caress, I thought I had remembered all of the old toy villains (I still have the granny and mailman), but it turns out I had completely forgotten about the garbage man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I had the garbage man and his giant grasshopper head freaked me out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I had the garbage man and his giant grasshopper head freaked me out.

My cousin had it and I was really confused by the logistics of needing to shove your head through a garbage can for your real head to come out.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My mom refused to buy Fearsome Flush because she thought it would promote toilet humor.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I like legos. I made a thing.

Lots more pics here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a Lego Ghostbusters comic going on at the moment. Funny thing is it starts out with an original Transformer who seems like basically a giant robot version of Egon. You can probably guess what his alt-mode turns out to be.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a Lego Ghostbusters comic going on at the moment. Funny thing is it starts out with an original Transformer who seems like basically a giant robot version of Egon. You can probably guess what his alt-mode turns out to be.

You mean the IDW Ghostbusters/Transformers comic? With available tie-in toy for the kids?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

You mean the IDW Ghostbusters/Transformers comic? With available tie-in toy for the kids?

*slowly puts head on desk*

But seriously, that looks great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yes, I'm beyond the capacity for rational thought today and got my toys mixed up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

deoju posted:

My mom refused to buy Fearsome Flush because she thought it would promote toilet humor.

My mom hates toilet humor too.

She is also the one who got fed up at someone not flushing (90% chance it was my brother), and told us that the poopy monster would come out of the toilet and get us if we didn't flush.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

She is also the one who got fed up at someone not flushing (90% chance it was my brother), and told us that the poopy monster would come out of the toilet and get us if we didn't flush.

The Great Mighty Poo?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Well there's something you don't hear every day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

*slowly puts head on desk*

But seriously, that looks great.

I own one and highly recommend it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well there's something you don't hear every day.

Ray has gone bye bye, Egon. What have you got left?

gregday
May 23, 2003

PropStore.com has an auction next month including the original radio controlled "hero" trap prop from GB2. I know it's going to be mid to high 5 figures but good god am I tempted.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Iron Crowned posted:

https://youtu.be/8Yy-83RbW1w

Violator
May 15, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Ray has gone bye bye, Egon. What have you got left?

I happened to watch the first movie again last night. “I am terrified past the point of rational thought” said really matter of factly was terrific. It also struck me how low key so much of the humor was. Like Tully wouldn’t just slide down the glass outside the restaurant screaming nowadays, you’d see his body getting flung around and a big wet splat of purple slime spraying on an old woman or something zany. Not a new insight I know.

I like GB2 well enough, but kept thinking about different things they could have done. Anyone have any fun ideas? I was thinking Dickless could have gone mad for revenge against the Ghostbusters and could have found a way to release an evil spirit to frame them and they fall on hard times. Kind of go in the direction the second film implied.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That reminds me, one thing that's kind of a letdown about the ghostbusters video game is that they go through this whole thing of putting Walter Peck more or less in charge of the Ghostbusters as a PR move by the mayor, but nothing really comes of it. He basically does exactly what you'd expect, try to stop them from ever doing anything, but they just ignore him entirely, he doesn't actually impede them in any way, and all that comes of it is that it was a complete misdirection and the real villain was using Peck as a distraction to keep the busters off his trail.

I think there's a lot of comedic potential that was wasted there with Peck and the gang being forced to actually work together, endlessly bickering. Maybe he has some character growth, maybe his knowledge of the environment actually helps stop the bad guy, who knows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

That reminds me, one thing that's kind of a letdown about the ghostbusters video game is that they go through this whole thing of putting Walter Peck more or less in charge of the Ghostbusters as a PR move by the mayor, but nothing really comes of it. He basically does exactly what you'd expect, try to stop them from ever doing anything, but they just ignore him entirely, he doesn't actually impede them in any way, and all that comes of it is that it was a complete misdirection and the real villain was using Peck as a distraction to keep the busters off his trail.

I think there's a lot of comedic potential that was wasted there with Peck and the gang being forced to actually work together, endlessly bickering. Maybe he has some character growth, maybe his knowledge of the environment actually helps stop the bad guy, who knows.

The IDW comics do exactly this and for the most part a lot better. He's described as 'liking the idea of the Ghostbusters a lot more than the reality' and it doesn't help that Venkman just can't stop riffing on him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ragnarok is also a Marvel movie and presumably somewhat boxed into a certain style w/r/t comedy. What We Do in the Shadows is a project of his own and presumably more representative of his actual comedic talent, and that movie is loving hilarious.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I need to watch Ragnarok again :3:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ernie Hudson is in!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:toot:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's pretty surprising that he can take time away from his busy schedule to do this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's pretty surprising that he can take time away from his busy schedule to do this.

He’s been great in Infinity Train! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Dors anyone have a Spirit Pack? My wife and I are wanting to dress as Ghostbusters for the big Halloween party we usually go to, I may be due some money unexpectedly that would cover maybe two spirit packs and a trap (either spirit or one of the many custom props). To get a spirit pack sent to the UK the cheapest option seems to be £70 through amazon including import fees. I have heard the sounds arent great though. The other options are either DIY (and I am very much the kind of man who is good with his mind and terrible with his hands) or going the supse expensive replica route, which isn't really an option.

Maybe it's because I'm such a huge fan of GB and always have been, to the point of having a Stay Puft tattoo, but I really don't want to do this if it's half assed.