Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Synthbuttrange posted:

Has anyone tried to match up these timelines with Hickman's Avengers timeline?

In today's issue, there's some references to those things. But assuming X^1 is "current" time, then it takes place some indeterminate time after Avengers World/Secret Wars/Birth of Multiverse 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Codependent Poster posted:

Destiny said that Moira's powers manifest when she reaches her teens, so if she dies before then, she doesn't come back. Then she said that it would happen after 10 or 11 lives. So if Moira X dies, her next life she might die before she reaches her teens and that'll be that.
I assume if you take away her powers somehow -- maybe even with the mutant "cure" she herself knows how to make -- then she would be susceptible to a final death.

Suppose someone mindwipes Moira completely then kills her. She'd be reborn as a blank slate and just go through her next life exactly as she did the first life, and then be stuck repeating all her lives exactly as she lived then, right up to the one where she got mindwiped the first time, then repeating the exact same hellish cycle forever into infinity.

(:eek:)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, the limit on the number of Moira's lives is a really weird issue. I have to assume that continuity is going to continue on her latest life, which means that it's going to have to incorporate the tragic death of a 12 year-old or younger girl, or just ignore Destiny's rather specific warning.

I was thinking that Moira might have lost her powers on M-Day and so she's just going to die at the end of this one, but Life 4 seemed basically to mirror the current path of the X-Men, including the "Lost Decade." Maybe she was one of those to remain mutant back then and she lost her powers this time?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

My theory is up above but I definitely feel like each time period is a different life. And VI is one of them!
I think year 1 and year 10 have to be the same year. It very much seems like year 1 is starting with Moira breaking all the rules and then year 10 is Cyclops going to prevent Nimrod (with info from life 9).

Web Jew.0 posted:

You guys think Moira having only 10-11 lives is just how her powers work? ie upper limit of Nightcrawler's teleport distance. Or did Destiny foresee that Moira 10 or 11 dies before her powers manifest?
In addition I could see her either living forever in one life, or losing her powers and dying. Either way would prevent her re-birth. Hell, she could have lost her powers in House of M in this life, we don't really know. The idea of Destiny saying "maybe 11, if you make all the right decisions" does kind of hint to me that it will end with her 11th life starting or current timeline is her 11th life where mutants win and she lives forever. We see her living a long time in life nine, that could be due to Apocalypse, but Apocalypse is on team good guy after this anyways.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BrianWilly posted:

I assume if you take away her powers somehow -- maybe even with the mutant "cure" she herself knows how to make -- then she would be susceptible to a final death.

Suppose someone mindwipes Moira completely then kills her. She'd be reborn as a blank slate and just go through her next life exactly as she did the first life, and then be stuck repeating all her lives exactly as she lived then, right up to the one where she got mindwiped the first time, then repeating the exact same hellish cycle forever into infinity.

(:eek:)

Destiny explains how to kill Moira permanently; if she dies before her mutant powers manifest (presumably at puberty), she's done for good. I am assuming that her reference to having "ten lives, or perhaps eleven if you make the right choice at the end" means that the end of Moira 10's (X's) life will be Meaningful, and somehow determine whether Moira 11 will die young (so ten 'lives' with the eleventh cut short) or survive until her abilities manifest (or fail to manifest, making her mortal again?) to give her an eleventh lifetime.

We'll see, obviously.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Destiny explains how to kill Moira permanently; if she dies before her mutant powers manifest (presumably at puberty), she's done for good. I am assuming that her reference to having "ten lives, or perhaps eleven if you make the right choice at the end" means that the end of Moira 10's (X's) life will be Meaningful, and somehow determine whether Moira 11 will die young (so ten 'lives' with the eleventh cut short) or survive until her abilities manifest (or fail to manifest, making her mortal again?) to give her an eleventh lifetime.

We'll see, obviously.
If that's true and we know in life 10 she lives past 13, then why wouldn't she have an 11th life? She has lived past thirteen in her tenth life. From an story-telling perspective it seems weird to raise life 10 as her possible last life if we know she's going to make it to 11. So she can still lose it in timeline 10 somehow, whether that is losing her power or immortality.

I will say counter to my previous theory she can't have a long life time as part of her mutant power without Apocalypse because she died of old age in her first life.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My big guess is that she does 10, and it almost works, it just needs a few minor tweaks maybe, so she goes for one more which is the one we've been reading, but M-Day happened which means this is it?

E: or maybe 10 just works, and is perfect, but she still dies anyway and has to come back for another. Gosh that's bleak.

E2: Also I walked in a comic shop for the first time in a longggg time because of this (I had a doctor appointment and decided I wanted something to read and the internet is unreliable at the doctors). Something I had definitely not remembered after going digital only was the discovery aspect. I pretty much just buy what I want digitally and move on but I could've bought like 10 comics if I let myself today. But I just bought the new X-men and Blade Runner 2019 which I also enjoyed.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 22, 2019

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Fritzler posted:

If that's true and we know in life 10 she lives past 13, then why wouldn't she have an 11th life? She has lived past thirteen in her tenth life. From an story-telling perspective it seems weird to raise life 10 as her possible last life if we know she's going to make it to 11. So she can still lose it in timeline 10 somehow, whether that is losing her power or immortality.

I will say counter to my previous theory she can't have a long life time as part of her mutant power without Apocalypse because she died of old age in her first life.

Well that depends, honestly, on what you consider a 'life.' If Moira, for instance, blows it on life 10 and comes back for life 11 but she's so malignant that Destiny shows up and kills her when she's eight, before her powers manifest, sure Moira got born eleven times but she most certainly didn't have an eleventh life, if you see what I'm saying. That's what I'm suspecting everything hinges on - if she makes the right choices (from Destiny's POV) she'll get another go-round with possibilities laid out before her; if she makes the wrong ones (like, say, her 'current' life's ambitions fail so dramatically and miserably that she comes back determined to recreate the Mutant Cure and Destiny has to whack her really early) she won't.

Of course, it's Hickman, so I also fully expect there'll be enough curveballs that are only obvious in hindsight that any theorycrafting we're doing now is going to look laughable in a few months...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats one obvious way Destiny stated. We also know of other ways that her power might be circumvented because 'comics', like she could be entombed forever, driven insane, have her powers neutralized, be eaten by a psychic parasite, who knows.

Heck I know right now that there's another webcomic playing around with the same idea, Trixie Slaughteraxe for President, where they have become aware that one single person is all that's keeping their timeline from resetting, so everyone is invested in keeping them alive at all costs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’ll convert Moira into a machine or into pure data so that she can’t reset the timeline they’ve been fighting so hard for. Moira has to survive somehow or else the prime Marvel Universe is going to be one where she died before her powers manifested.

The end of the universe is going to be Franklin Richards, Galactus, and whatever is left of Moira X.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Open Marriage Night posted:

They’ll convert Moira into a machine or into pure data so that she can’t reset the timeline they’ve been fighting so hard for. Moira has to survive somehow or else the prime Marvel Universe is going to be one where she died before her powers manifested.

The end of the universe is going to be Franklin Richards, Galactus, and whatever is left of Moira X.

Ohh, I like this. Maybe Moira isn't the Librarian but the Librarian uses Moira's memories/lives as a path to Ascension...

EDIT: Though I still don't know about that "resetting the prime universe" thing. This implies that when Moira dies, that universe ends. But that's not how things work in the Marvel Universe and it's also a silly to think that Marvel isn't going to further explore those universes at a later time. I think her death doesn't "reset" things as much as it creates a What If?-like alternate universe branch. Which brings up the idea that Moira is at times literally murdering billions of in different universes just to get "the right" history, which is kinda hosed.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 22, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Destiny said "the right choice at the end", singular.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Y’all think we’re gonna explore her hosed up relationship with legion and proteus? They’re not gonna get retconned out of existence will they?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't her giving birth to Proteus noted on one of the timelines?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Proteus and Legion are both listed on the info page about Omega Mutants in HoX #1, and Proteus is listed as aligned with Krakoa. Legion's alignment is "unknown". They're both deliberately in play, and given how central Moira is to the series I have to assume it will get brought up.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Proteus and Legion are both listed on the info page about Omega Mutants in HoX #1, and Proteus is listed as aligned with Krakoa. Legion's alignment is "unknown". They're both deliberately in play, and given how central Moira is to the series I have to assume it will get brought up.
I agree. Proteus being mentioned twice seems very important to me. Also I assume Moira would have to know about how terrible Joseph MacTaggart is by her tenth lifetime, or have some specific reason she partnered with him. He also seems like a character Hickman would use prominently after seeing Franklin in FF and pretty much every character in New Avengers (especially molecule man).

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

They’ll convert Moira into a machine or into pure data so that she can’t reset the timeline they’ve been fighting so hard for.

I like this theory.

quote:

Moira has to survive somehow or else the prime Marvel Universe is going to be one where she died before her powers manifested.

But does this have to be the case? Maybe the 10th life is still prime Marvel Universe but she resets one more time and lives in an alternate reality where she cures herself, destroys the cure, passes the intel to Professor X, and lives the rest of her life as a human or something? Basically two near-identical realities but we follow the one where Moira dies as a hero instead of the one where Moira’s farting around with no chance of resetting.

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, the limit on the number of Moira's lives is a really weird issue. I have to assume that continuity is going to continue on her latest life, which means that it's going to have to incorporate the tragic death of a 12 year-old or younger girl, or just ignore Destiny's rather specific warning.

I think all the timelines continue after she dies. X3 takes place 900 years after Moira IX dies, for example.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 22, 2019

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

I think all the timelines continue after she dies. X3 takes place 900 years after Moira IX dies, for example.
You’re assuming X3 is in timeline 9. It could be timeline 10 where she hasn’t died or timeline 6. I do think the timelines continue after she dies though.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Fritzler posted:

You’re assuming X3 is in timeline 9. It could be timeline 10 where she hasn’t died or timeline 6. I do think the timelines continue after she dies though.

Yeah because in the first X3 scene you see the Cylobel that Nimrod from X2 put in the green tube, and Moira X on the park bench references the tower in X3. Could be different Cylobel and different tower though of course.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The timelines would continue after she dies, but I doubt we're seeing them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mental
Organism
Initiated for
Recall and
Analysis

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think it's pretty cool and very Apocalypse that Moira was just in suspended animation until they could sideload the data into her.

Then it was like "Gg, reup"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ok but do we know that she is still Moira at that point?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nevvy Z posted:

Ok but do we know that she is still Moira at that point?

Because she was reincarnated as such? The end of HoX #2 ends with her waking up in Life X, which is right after Wolverine kills her in PoX #3.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yes. But maybe they've hidden some sort of trojan horse in her brain!

I like that hickman got me to believe that xavier teamed up with sinister. I'm glad it was actually apocalypse and they won't make that mistake again.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 23, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

And Mr. Immortal, from the Great Lakes Avengers.

God, now I want Hickman to work Mr. Immortal into this somehow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cabbit posted:

It says he doesn't age and he heals from non-fatal injuries at a normal human rate, does that mean if you put him in a coma he'd stay like that until someone mercy kills him?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Yes. But maybe they've hidden some sort of trojan horse in her brain!

I had that thought too. Some sort of Zur En Arrh back up personality that’s waiting for a trigger.

Feels like Sinister is going to pop up soon, and turn everything on it’s head.

Also, the solicits for the new X books look pretty exciting.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Cabbit posted:

And Banner according to Immortal Hulk, which showed him seemingly hanging out with Mr. Immortal's corpse at the end of the universe.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

glitchwraith posted:

And Banner according to Immortal Hulk, which showed him seemingly hanging out with Mr. Immortal's corpse at the end of the universe.

Is that who it was? I've been wondering since that issue came out what that was all about and who was stuck in that tiny asteroid with Bruce.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Is that who it was? I've been wondering since that issue came out what that was all about and who was stuck in that tiny asteroid with Bruce.

That's what they are saying online. I'm not actually very familiar with Mr. Immortal, so I had to look up who it was.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So at the end of time there’s going to be a slobber knocker between;
Allfather Thor
Godslayer Loki
Old Man Phoenix
The Hulk
Black Doom the Iron Fist Supreme
And a comatose Mr. Immortal

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So at the end of time there’s going to be a slobber knocker between;
Allfather Thor
Godslayer Loki
Old Man Phoenix
The Hulk
Black Doom the Iron Fist Supreme
And a comatose Mr. Immortal

and Franklin with his best friend Galactus

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
poo poo is getting crowded.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Why do I have this vague recollection of Gambit supposedly living until the end of time in some X-book or another?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cabbit posted:

Why do I have this vague recollection of Gambit supposedly living until the end of time in some X-book or another?

He was the old guy that Bishop was talking to to figure out who the X-Traitor was. That was like 50 years in the future.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

danbanana posted:

He was the old guy that Bishop was talking to to figure out who the X-Traitor was. That was like 50 years in the future.

Yeah, that rings a bell. That must be it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Codependent Poster posted:

and Franklin with his best friend Galactus

He was already killed by Thor and Ego and came back as Necro-Galactus and killed again by this point, I think, which kind of makes Franklin a dick.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

He was already killed by Thor and Ego and came back as Necro-Galactus and killed again by this point, I think, which kind of makes Franklin a dick.

Keeping the Richards legacy alive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

At the bar again talking about X-Men, and someone goes “You talking about House of X? What do you think Moira’s sixth life is?”

We get a lot of nerds around here, but they usually talk about old Transformers or GI Joe.