Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Apparently a new season for Diablo 3 just started today and Amazon has copies for $40. Guess I'm playing that instead because I know I 100% love me some D3. :black101:

good news, it's perfect for the Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I wonder if Tim Rogers knows how many copies of DQXI he's sold just from that one review. It'll be my first since Dragon Warrior 1, and I'm still hyped.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've been playing 8 lately (need to get back to it soon), and I've been specifically holding out for the Switch version of 11, can't wait to really bite into the demo.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Nintendo please add a function where I can “incognito mode” certain games so people don’t know I’m playing said certain games. Thanks in advance.

Yes I know I can make an alt account and play it on that, but :effort:. I’m mostly joking and mostly need to not care if people see Minecraft or Yugioh in my play history, but it would actually be nice!

Edit: Wilmott’s Warehouse next week! I’ve been excited for this game since it showed up on Cool Ghosts. That’s a nice surprise!

Also Dicey Dungeons needs to be on this system like yesterday.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 23, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What's a recommended case for the Switch that will also hold the dock? Or is that just not a thing?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

Nintendo please add a function where I can “incognito mode” certain games so people don’t know I’m playing said certain games. Thanks in advance.

Yes I know I can make an alt account and play it on that, but :effort:. I’m mostly joking and mostly need to not care if people see Minecraft or Yugioh in my play history, but it would actually be nice!

I see that you have Pantsu Hunter preloaded.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Detective No. 27 posted:

I see that you have Pantsu Hunter preloaded.

Trap sprung! You got me! But it’s Omega Labyrinth!
(Kidding, but I’m sure this would be an invaluable feature for people who like sex pest games)

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's a recommended case for the Switch that will also hold the dock? Or is that just not a thing?

Amazon has one that is perfectly fine for like $15. Its an Amazon Basics version of an official Nintendo one that is around $30 I think. Holds switch with Joycons attached, dock, cables and either the Joycon grip or a Pro controller. Great for travel or taking it to someone’s house.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I've been playing 8 lately (need to get back to it soon)
hey speaking of this game, I wanna avoid playing any more of the DQ11 demo since the game is still a month away and I don't wanna get hooked, so I looked up 8 on the 3ds since I recall people saying good things about it

...what's with the UI? The font is really out of place, enormous, and also uncomfortably blurry?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PeePot posted:

I wonder if Tim Rogers knows how many copies of DQXI he's sold just from that one review. It'll be my first since Dragon Warrior 1, and I'm still hyped.

endlessly funny to me how at one point most people on this site myself included poo poo on his articles constantly for how meandering and longwinded they were, then he finally figured out his weird style worked infinitely better in videos and now he's really good

I played an hour of the DQ demo, please people who have played the game before, tell me I can use Sandy as a full party member later

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

endlessly funny to me how at one point most people on this site myself included poo poo on his articles constantly for how meandering and longwinded they were, then he finally figured out his weird style worked infinitely better in videos and now he's really good

I played an hour of the DQ demo, please people who have played the game before, tell me I can use Sandy as a full party member later

I still dislike him because he’ll post a video with a summary and I always think it will be a summary of the video but instead it’s a 9 paragraph summary of what inspired him to make the video.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Tim Rogers will always be the "my vegan burrito" guy in my mind, it's good to see that he's still doing what he loves.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I played DQ11 on the PC and it's over long and not very exciting. I'm surprised it's getting SO MUCH hype for the Switch.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tempura Wizard posted:

Edit: Wilmott’s Warehouse next week! I’ve been excited for this game since it showed up on Cool Ghosts. That’s a nice surprise!

Also Dicey Dungeons needs to be on this system like yesterday.

The ultimate alpha move is to have pantsu hunter on your dashboard and bring your switch to a smash local.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

I played DQ11 on the PC and it's over long and not very exciting. I'm surprised it's getting SO MUCH hype for the Switch.

it's good and very popular

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Taear posted:

sometimes grindy things that you wouldn't necessarily enjoy on the big screen or even a laptop become extremely relaxing and cathartic on handheld

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That God of War review Tim Rogers did where he took a five minute tangent into his own infertility is still jaw-dropping. It's an absolute rollercoaster of oversharing, then the exact right amount of sharing, then oversharing again. And it's all in service of just going, "hey gently caress you!" to people who believe having kids gives you deeper insight into stories involving parenting children. It's wild.

I just got Civ for $20 physical, so I hope it's good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't know who this reviewer guy is but anyone that inspires more people to play Dragon Quest is cool in my book.

EDIT: I was interested enough so I googled the review but it's like thirty minutes long so, no. If anyone wants to post why it is particularly persuasive I'd be happy to read that.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 23, 2019

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just lol if you just don't fully automate combat in Dragon Quest, even against bosses. Super glad they made it a cake walk.

I think you've made me realize why I quit my first two playthroughs on PC. Not gonna double dip on Switch but I may actually finish the game one day now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm not saying it's bad. It's just kinda....thin.
It's like 40 hours of really enjoyable content and areas spread out over 120 hours instead. Loads of interesting ideas that just don't feel much like they go anywhere as well.

For me it was a 7 out of 10 - I'd never say I didn't like it or anything but it outstayed its welcome before it was finished because of all the repetition.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

I'm not saying it's bad. It's just kinda....thin.
It's like 40 hours of really enjoyable content and areas spread out over 120 hours instead. Loads of interesting ideas that just don't feel much like they go anywhere as well.

For me it was a 7 out of 10 - I'd never say I didn't like it or anything but it outstayed its welcome before it was finished because of all the repetition.

how did you manage to spend 120 hours on it

It took me 55h to beat the main story (I didn't do the post game since I didn't like the premise)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Huxley posted:

That God of War review Tim Rogers did where he took a five minute tangent into his own infertility is still jaw-dropping. It's an absolute rollercoaster of oversharing, then the exact right amount of sharing, then oversharing again. And it's all in service of just going, "hey gently caress you!" to people who believe having kids gives you deeper insight into stories involving parenting children. It's wild.

I just got Civ for $20 physical, so I hope it's good.

Is that the one where he tutors some Japanese kid in guitar and then the father comes home enraged to discover this gaijin in his house? It's loving compelling, he's a good story teller

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

how did you manage to spend 120 hours on it

It took me 55h to beat the main story (I didn't do the post game since I didn't like the premise)

I didn't, I spent maybe 60? But as you can see in the fire emblem thread I play things really fast.
And the post game isn't really post game, it depends where you'd draw the line with that. If you only did everything once it's probably not that bad.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Is that the one where he tutors some Japanese kid in guitar and then the father comes home enraged to discover this gaijin in his house? It's loving compelling, he's a good story teller

That's the one. And you're right, it's really gripping to go from listening to this guy make jokes over honky-tonk banjo music to all of a sudden getting this deep slice of his (presumably genuinely) background. It takes you a minute to even realize it's not going to be a funny anecdote. By the time he flips the whole thing for a joke, it sort of breaks your brain.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's Mosey Episode 1: Oh boy, a fun look at the original localization of FFVII

Let's Mosey Final Episode: A deep examination of life as a foreigner in Japan and the personal relationships people have with media

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Head up folks, there's another Tetris 99 tournament today and this one has Fire Emblem theme up for the grabbin'.

Shoot. I'm out of the country without my stuff. What's the song?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I've only ever played 99 with the joycon, but with mine in the shop, gotta use the pro controller. Let's see how bad this dpad really is.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Let's Mosey Episode 1: Oh boy, a fun look at the original localization of FFVII

Let's Mosey Final Episode: A deep examination of life as a foreigner in Japan and the personal relationships people have with media

The series takes the same emotional journey as the game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bushisms.txt posted:

I've only ever played 99 with the joycon, but with mine in the shop, gotta use the pro controller. Let's see how bad this dpad really is.

There’s a setting to make hard drops less sensitive when using it that I suggest turning on. The devs knew the dpad sucks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bottom Liner posted:

Is Civ 6 performance still bad or has that been fixed?

Anyone? It's $20 at Best Buy but I won't bother if it runs terribly.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

Heads up that sometime after launch they patched in a sensitivity setting for hard drops where I'm assuming it checks if the up button was held for more than a millisecond or something. After I turned it on I immediately went on to start winning games since I wasn't getting screwed over by a misdrop in the frenzy of the endgame with a pro controller.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone? It's $20 at Best Buy but I won't bother if it runs terribly.

I've found when you get a few hundred turns in on a large map, things will move very slowly if you haven't restarted in a while. Closing and reopening the game usually helps a ton. Framerate can get janky if you're zoomed out and there's a lot going on, too. I dunno how much work they're going to do to fix those things, but they do plan on bringing the expansions to the Switch this year, so there's a chance they try and tackle it with those updates.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Toaster Beef posted:

I've found when you get a few hundred turns in on a large map, things will move very slowly if you haven't restarted in a while. Closing and reopening the game usually helps a ton. Framerate can get janky if you're zoomed out and there's a lot going on, too. I dunno how much work they're going to do to fix those things, but they do plan on bringing the expansions to the Switch this year, so there's a chance they try and tackle it with those updates.

Thanks. Does the switch port have the "boardgame view" mode and does it help? I always liked that for the simplicity and it seemed to help with performance.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks. Does the switch port have the "boardgame view" mode and does it help? I always liked that for the simplicity and it seemed to help with performance.

I don't believe it does have the boardgame view, no. If it does, I sure haven't found it. I think it would help bigtime, though.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bottom Liner posted:

It doesn't. I've recently finished a game on the largest map with maximum ai players and it does chug a bit late game but nothing worse than when I was playing previous games on an average PC, so it's perfectly tolerable depending on your expectations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah I should probably stress that it's still extremely playable. I'm enjoying my time with it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I'm like 3 hours into DragonQuest XI's demo and I genuinely like it. I like the vibe of a turn-based RPG (I also liked the Octopath demo).....and I never grew up playing RPGs at all. I wish I had played them earlier in life when I had way more time on my hands and could stay up all night playing video games.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't know who this reviewer guy is but anyone that inspires more people to play Dragon Quest is cool in my book.

EDIT: I was interested enough so I googled the review but it's like thirty minutes long so, no. If anyone wants to post why it is particularly persuasive I'd be happy to read that.

Haha look at this loser who still watches youtube videos at 1x speed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Huxley posted:

Can you link this because it sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I think its this one:

https://kotaku.com/six-reasons-why-god-of-war-totally-owns-1825252561