Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

mastajake posted:

Also K.A. Applegate’s response to people dissatisfied with the end is pretty :discourse:

here, to save other people googling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Redwall was the series that really got me into reading. The first time Janglur Swifteye cut off a Marlfox's head I was hooked.

Dresden was the series that got me back into books as an adult. I stopped reading as much sometime around high school, until I found The Dresden Files my first year of college. Proven Guilty had just come out. I binged the entire series up to that point and haven't looked back. I realize there's some problematic things about the series and that Jim Butcher is a quintessential goon himself but I will read every book he releases because I wouldn't love reading like I do without him.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Hardy Boys when I was young and then Discworld when I was a bit older got me into reading, Discworld was especially a great start,

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Ya'll making me regret the fact that I stopped reading those at around book three. I think kid me just couldn't find any more of them.

Let me make your day: http://animorphsforum.com/ebooks/

K.A. Applegate has said that she's ok with her books out there as free ebooks. At least as far as I remember from a random forum post I read on here back in the day. If it's :filez: I can edit this out.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kea posted:

Hardy Boys when I was young and then Discworld when I was a bit older got me into reading, Discworld was especially a great start,

Lord of the Rings was my gateway into reading when I was a kid. I didn't discover Discworld until I was an adult, but I am glad I did. Night Watch hits me like a hammer every time I read it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Animorphs was also INSANELY violent. Like I was reading King at the same age and he was less violent. The protagonists had the ability to heal from any injury and primarily battled "walking razor blades" and cannibal bags of meat and the books took full advantage of it.

Kinda funny how much poo poo a kids book series can get away with.

Also the fact that morphing heals you, so they were allowed to get absolutely brutalized in battle as long as they didn't die.

I have a friend who accuses them of being the reason why what story I show him that I've written is so dark.

He's right.

EDIT: That site has EVERWORLD too. Oh man. I had totally forgotten about that series, but it was also pretty great. Thanks a lot, dude.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 14, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
first chapter of next Verus book is up.

http://benedictjacka.co.uk/extracts/fallen-chapter-1-and-2/

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tasty!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I was a little skeptical about where he chose to start that, but it got better fast. Wanna read that book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Soysaucebeast posted:

Let me make your day: http://animorphsforum.com/ebooks/

K.A. Applegate has said that she's ok with her books out there as free ebooks. At least as far as I remember from a random forum post I read on here back in the day. If it's :filez: I can edit this out.

They're $4 each on Kindle, FFS.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Stiletto, Rook book 2 ( Kindle edition ), is on sale for three bucks on Amazon today. I bought it, figured someone else might be waiting to do the same.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I just finished Murder Of Mages, it reminds me a lot of the pacing in an Alex Verus book. It takes place in old 1820's, no tech, no cellphones or etc, and mages exist but they aren't the focus. Instead, it deals with two detectives trying to solve a murder.

I finished it rather quickly, and the characters are rather intriguing. Only thing I disliked is it's an action novel, rather than a mystery novel.

It reminds me a lot of when Dresden would pick up cases and that was the main focus.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Exmond posted:

I just finished Murder Of Mages, it reminds me a lot of the pacing in an Alex Verus book. It takes place in old 1820's, no tech, no cellphones or etc, and mages exist but they aren't the focus. Instead, it deals with two detectives trying to solve a murder.

I finished it rather quickly, and the characters are rather intriguing. Only thing I disliked is it's an action novel, rather than a mystery novel.

It reminds me a lot of when Dresden would pick up cases and that was the main focus.

It's actually set in the same world.. and city, as his earlier series - I read the first two books in Thorn of Dentonhill and they were entertaining if a bit cheesy at times. He's apparently written a lot more books in the same setting since the last time I looked, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
http://benedictjacka.co.uk/extracts/fallen-chapter-1-and-2/fallen-chapter-2/

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Wolpertinger posted:

It's actually set in the same world.. and city, as his earlier series - I read the first two books in Thorn of Dentonhill and they were entertaining if a bit cheesy at times. He's apparently written a lot more books in the same setting since the last time I looked, though.

Ohh, what type of book is Thorn Of Dentonhill? It looked a bit like a high fantasy novel.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Exmond posted:

Ohh, what type of book is Thorn Of Dentonhill? It looked a bit like a high fantasy novel.

That's the cheesy part - it's a student in a magical academy that decides to become a vigilante. Apparently the final book in the series which I never read is a crossover with the murder of mages series.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

That's the cheesy part - it's a student in a magical academy that decides to become a vigilante. Apparently the final book in the series which I never read is a crossover with the murder of mages series.

Note though (very minor structural spoilers) there is almost no magical academy stuff in it. I gave it a pass for a while because I thought it was gonna be an uninspired Harry Potter knockoff, but most of the dude's time is spent running around the city getting involved in gang politics and being a vigilante.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

mastajake posted:

Also K.A. Applegate’s response to people dissatisfied with the end is pretty :discourse:

Wow. Good for her.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'm really disappointed that Craig Schaeffer has slowed way down with Daniel Faust. I have a strong urge to continue the series but I'm all up to date and it feels like more than a year since I read the last one.

I tried my best with the Harmony Black series, but it isn't clicking with me.

I've pretty much written off Butcher/Dresden at this point.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Peace Talks has been written so maybe we'll see it published some time next year.

I'm mostly looking forward to Nov 12 and Nov 19 which see the release of Action at a Distance a collected comic miniseriesfrom Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series and then False Value the next book in the actual series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Necrotizer F posted:

Peace Talks has been written so maybe we'll see it published some time next year.

I'm mostly looking forward to Nov 12 and Nov 19 which see the release of Action at a Distance a collected comic miniseriesfrom Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series and then False Value the next book in the actual series.

New Alex Verus comes out Sept 24th, too.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
gently caress that always sneaks up on me

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm really disappointed that Craig Schaeffer has slowed way down with Daniel Faust. I have a strong urge to continue the series but I'm all up to date and it feels like more than a year since I read the last one.

He's picking back up, though. He had two back to back books from his publishers this year and they wouldn't let him release any of his self-published stuff too close to that, so he's been sitting on a finished Faust book for a while. And apparently another will come pretty quickly after that, because he's hinted the next one ends with some massive plot upheaval and he doesn't want to make people wait too long to see what happens next.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm way more interested in this, honestly.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm way more interested in this, honestly.

I looking forward more to the Rivers books, but a new Verus books will be an excellent appetizer. Am I the only idiot who somehow kept thinking his name was Versus? Like Alex Versus [insert various opponents].

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's Verus, which is Latin for "true".

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Necrotizer F posted:

I looking forward more to the Rivers books, but a new Verus books will be an excellent appetizer. Am I the only idiot who somehow kept thinking his name was Versus? Like Alex Versus [insert various opponents].

No, I always refer to it as the Versus series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Apparently Barnes & Noble is already selling it at some stores.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

I tried my best with the Harmony Black series, but it isn't clicking with me.

I've pretty much written off Butcher/Dresden at this point.

Just checking but you've read the Wisdom's Grave trilogy, right?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Junkenstein posted:

Just checking but you've read the Wisdom's Grave trilogy, right?

No, gotta read the Revanche Cycle first.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mr Scumbag posted:

No, gotta read the Revanche Cycle first.

Well, you don't *have* to, but its more fun if you do.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/Ben_Aaronovitch/status/1175001405746102272

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Le sigh. Well, pushbacks happen. At least he hasn't gone full Game of Thrones yet.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Audiobook isn't out yet, but I just downloaded Fallen.

Chapter 3 has a strong start.

It was tomorrow, and I was on trial for treason. :allears:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
New Verus is good. Stuff happens.

Short book but action-packed.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah, it goes. One third of the way through now. Parts of it feel a little abrupt but I prefer the pacing to some of the slower books, like 5.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

I see I was right all along about Drakh's magic type. That part was pretty obvious to me, the source of the special stuff seemed a lot more in the air.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I know this is nitpicky, but it's not reassuring to see an author spell "definitely" wrong.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

thrawn527 posted:

I know this is nitpicky, but it's not reassuring to see an author spell "definitely" wrong.

Authors are often horrible spellers, that's one reason why proofreaders exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ornamented Death posted:

Authors are often horrible spellers, that's one reason why proofreaders exist.

Fair point. I'll take my petty complaints and go.