Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

I think the lost placed on the map at generation count for XP but any swarms triggered during the mission do not.

That sounds accurate actually. My lost missions usually end up with 70+ kills, but I haven't been getting 70 kills worth of promotions out of them. If it's just the 15-25 enemies that are on the map to begin with it makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/QDNZCkm.gifv

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Those supply raid missions where you have to go physically mark crates while Advent just remotely marks crates at random for themselves are bullshit. :colbert:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 23, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My shameful secret: I reroll those until they become standard smash and grabs.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Bogart posted:

My shameful secret: I reroll those until they become standard smash and grabs.

My shameful secret: I was too loving stupid to think of this myself.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Honky Dong Country posted:

Those supply raid missions where you have to go physically mark crates while Advent just remotely marks crates at random for themselves are bullshit. :colbert:

Those missions are a psychological trap. We tend to view supply raids in general as a "gimme" for delicious loot, or as a way to bounce back from a bad string of missions. And crate missions gently caress with that mentality pretty badly.

There is a constant urge to split the team around the map pre-reveal so as to reach as many crates as possible fast, and there is always a tickle at the back of the head to double move on that red crate to save it (only to reveal that next pod). You have to deal with the fact that you are going to lose supplies and move around the map methodically.

Also, I have more than once completely hosed myself by forgeting that the crates fly away, killing your cover lol.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

The key to crate missions is NOT to tag all the crates. Typically, people will tag creates as soon as they can. This strategy means that only "unsafe" crates are left to be red tagged and constantly forces you to put people in danger.

Instead, focus on clearing the map and only tagging crates that are already red tagged. This will leave several creates behind you in cleared areas that can safely be marked by double moving if they get red tagged in the mission. You'll still lose some crates because there will be crates in uncleared areas that will still be red tagged. But keeping the largest number of crates on the map at all times increases the chances that the crates that are red tagged will be safe to grab.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 23, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I’m not sure you understand. Those loving crates are mine!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just mark one and evac. Slight supply boost, and my gang isn’t hanging around long enough to take fire from more than 1 pod. Also counts as a mission success for the Council, so extra bonus :)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Never forget the timer on those crate missions doesn't start until you reveal. Also I tend to look at any crates as a win for those because losing a crate is way less immediately important as not losing any soldiers.

Edit- same timer rules for advent general missions.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

No I get all that. I sneak around and get good positioning and then go hyper-aggressive to quickly erradicate all opposition rather than overextending and putting my boys in danger. I just hate that the aliens can just loving mark whatever the hell at random rather than having to go touch the things like I have to.

That's precisely why I just try to kill everything ASAP rather than chasing every crate. You won't get every crate so just end the mission fast and maybe mark some stuff along the way. I just hate the difference in crate marking methods. loving bastard aliens. :saddowns:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I mean it's their supplies, it stands to reason that they can mark wherever. Xcom has to slap a balloon onto the box, Advent just has to push a button then crane game whatever box lights up

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Danaru posted:

I mean it's their supplies, it stands to reason that they can mark wherever. Xcom has to slap a balloon onto the box, Advent just has to push a button then crane game whatever box lights up

Yeah I know. I just don't like it. :colbert: Godamn shithead aliens. I can hack a robit and make it shoot its mates but I still gotta run up to a box and scream "BASE!" while these drat xenos just go "lol nope its ours"

Screw you Advent!

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 24, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yeah I know. I just don't like it. :colbert: Godamn shithead aliens. I can hack a robit and make it shoot its mates but I still gotta run up to a box and scream "BASE!" while these drat xenos just go "lol nope its ours"

Screw you Advent!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I like it precisely because you can soft-fail somewhat, which adds some additional challenge and pressure. The consequences are low, which is why it doesn't feel unfair.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah you get a shitton of stuff if youre able to keep them from getting more than one or two

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I forget, do unairlifted boxes go to the player once the map is cleared?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

binge crotching posted:

That sounds accurate actually. My lost missions usually end up with 70+ kills, but I haven't been getting 70 kills worth of promotions out of them. If it's just the 15-25 enemies that are on the map to begin with it makes a lot more sense.

Lost give reduced xp and reinforcements count for xp. You could give a rookie enough xp for colonel in one mission if the game didn't crash from too many lost corpses.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 24, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

vorebane posted:

I forget, do unairlifted boxes go to the player once the map is cleared?

I always assumed they do, kinda like survivors that you didn't directly rescue in a retaliation strike.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

if the game didn't crash from too many lost corpses.

What’s the max number of Lost anyone has killed in a mission? I think mine is in the 70’s, I hunkered down on top of a container and blocked the ladders so they couldn’t come up, and it just turned into target practice for the squad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

:hmbol:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Icon Of Sin posted:

What’s the max number of Lost anyone has killed in a mission? I think mine is in the 70’s, I hunkered down on top of a container and blocked the ladders so they couldn’t come up, and it just turned into target practice for the squad.

I think it crashes somewhere around 300 depending on how much ram you have. That's 75 kills worth of xp,which is still enough to make a captain.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

reignofevil posted:

Never forget the timer on those crate missions doesn't start until you reveal. Also I tend to look at any crates as a win for those because losing a crate is way less immediately important as not losing any soldiers.

Edit- same timer rules for advent general missions.

yeah this is why i tend to consider reapers critical; those missions get a lot more fun when you have a reaper that can spot the entire OPFOR and then wipe out half of it in one glorious blow.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Had some weird alien behavior last night. Was doing one of those 'don't let aliens blow up the thing' missions. Found a pod with my reaper on the first turn, then while I was getting my team in position for the ambush the aliens just took off down an alley. Which was weird. Also no aliens shot the objective on the first turn, which was also weird since I figured it automatically spawned something to shoot at it on all of these missions. Anyway, I moved the reaper up to watch them and found that apparently all of the pods on the map had converged in the room with the objective. And they were just sitting there, while an andromedon shot the hell out of the objective. No patrolling, just standing around.

So it was taking a lot more damage per turn that it usually would from having a trooper or a snake plinking at it. I rushed my team forward and got in place, trying to figure out what I was supposed to do about the fact that there were three or four pods worth of aliens sitting in the room. Then one of the pods decided it was finally time to move. So they wandered down the alley way, activated on me, and that meant we were in range for activating all of the other pods. Then just to add insult to injury, they also took a crit shot at my flanked templar. (Thanks anti-beagle manuever)

I took one look at the dozen of angry aliens, called in an evac in the middle of the alley and got the hell out of there. I have no idea if there would have been any way to make that fight work. But the AI deciding to pack all the pods in one tiny room and just sit there is something I've never seen before, and I really hope I don't again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sounds like a perfect spot for a double claymore + grenadier to set them off. It's my go to for pod clusters, and is why I will always take the extra claymore perk.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, if the doodad's totally hosed (but still has hp on it), might as well stay & fight in an epic firefight rather than bail, since both those fail the mission. With the added bonus that with the objective still standing, many aliens will choose to shoot at it (100% hit rate!) rather than your guys in cover.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Started a new campaign yesterday, first ironman run for XCOM 2. I get to my second retaliation mission. Upon landing, my squad is arranged thusly.

:xcom:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

Started a new campaign yesterday, first ironman run for XCOM 2. I get to my second retaliation mission. Upon landing, my squad is arranged thusly.

:xcom:

I'm really not fond of the way the user interface differentiates between 'cosmetic' fires and 'burny ouch ouch' fires (as in, it doesn't at all.) but this probably takes the cake as far as fire-beefs go. I guess run over and hunker down next to some low cover?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Give her the nickname of Fire Marshall and equip her with inferno rounds and incendiary grenades

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 28, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

reignofevil posted:

I'm really not fond of the way the user interface differentiates between 'cosmetic' fires and 'burny ouch ouch' fires (as in, it doesn't at all.) but this probably takes the cake as far as fire-beefs go. I guess run over and hunker down next to some low cover?

i mean really you just move the rest of your squad before her, it's not that big of a deal mechanically, but it's still pretty funny to look at

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
LWotC/LW2 for WotC by paledbrook is surprisingly stable and playable right now and heckin' good. Though I haven't tried playing it with the Chosen on, because that just seems like a recipe for disaster.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does anyone still play Long War 2? I played it when it first came out and never got very far, and I've dusted it off to try again now, but it's such a slog. It feels like playing Dwarf Fortress where you're just rushing to get as much done as you can while the game slowly crushes itself under its own weight. In the last in game month all the regions I've contacted have basically doubled their advent strength. Remember that mission that you started infiltrating 6 days ago that was light moderate? Well the baseline is heavy now because Advent Strength went up 3 points when you weren't looking, gently caress you. I realize I'm not good, but I didn't think I was terrible either. Is there a list of tips for LW2 or is this just what the game becomes? Having every map so full of hostiles that every move pulls 2-3 pods might be doable but I have trouble seeing how it's at all fun.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Strength 7+ or so is where regions become really difficult to do even basic missions in. Thankfully, if you let vigilance cool down, they'll move legions away. Only do troop column ambushes and supply line raids (legion deployments) when they pop up and ignore anything else in high-strength areas. If you somehow have to liberate a high-strength region (that is to say, do Lib1/2/3 in one), just boost the infiltration with intel with a small enough squad that you get 150 or even 200% infiltrated. Then the effective strength comes down and you're going to be fighting less enemies there. Doing the ADVENT Regional HQ liberation mission kills 5 legions, by the way. Oh, and if a region's strength popped 3 points over the course of a 6-day infiltration, that means a super-reinforcement UFO popped down there. That means you're doing well (in that your vigilance is extremely high and ADVENT is scared and trying to maintain control). Popping those UFOs are kinda hard, but you can sometimes detect the mission with enough time remaining to detect them. They'll be an intel-only, no package mission.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

After looking it up, I guess this is intentional behavior, but I'd never noticed in hundreds of hours of playtime that killing the general in one of those 'assassinate the field commander' missions will alert every pod on the map to your location. Happened across his pod first on a mission, mowed him down, and next turn I had 4 pods come out of the fog and all activate on me. Fortunately my team was close enough together to evac them all because, no, I did not want to fight twelve angry aliens all at once on my ironman run. :v:

Also good to know that killing him still gets you victory credit as far as countering the dark event, even if you get a mission failed on the end screen.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

just showing up counters the dark event, you could immediately call firebrand and evac and it would stop the event. that said, if you blow stealth the general will attempt to bug out, and him getting away will fail you the mission too, so it's kind of a take your pick.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm playing through LW2, and I killed the Berserker Queen a week or two ago, in fact I'm working on the RAGE suit right now. It took me 2 attempts, and I remember when she showed up the second time she had 52 HP left. Imagine my surprise when I start this mission and a half dead Berserker Queen charges in with 52 HP.

The only thing I can think of is that I turned off the Bronze Man mode awhile ago. In fact I think it was the mission I originally killed her in that made me do it. Has anyone seen this before or know what will happen? I guess a second RAGE suit will probably be good. It's been so long I don't even remember what it does. I just hope I haven't hosed my saves in some other way, I assumed removing that mod wouldn't really effect a game in progress since it just effects saves.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Has anyone else found that banish doesn’t work properly with expanded mags? The last couple of times I used it my reaper fired one shot, then the animation glitched and the damage notification for two more shots appeared, and she left her remaining four rounds in the chamber.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've had the animations start to skip but the shots happen as normal and wreck everybody nearby

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

DoctorTristan posted:

Has anyone else found that banish doesn’t work properly with expanded mags? The last couple of times I used it my reaper fired one shot, then the animation glitched and the damage notification for two more shots appeared, and she left her remaining four rounds in the chamber.

Is the target dead? Or is it just stopping after a few shots and leaving the original target alive? If you want them to keep blasting you have to take the Annihilate perk at Col.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The animation for banish always glitches on me, but I don't think it's ever stopped before the ammo was gone, and I always put extended mags on my reapers to take full advantage of it. Usually I get the one shot, then everything hangs for a few seconds, then the damage for the rest pops up all at once. Was kind of funny when I used it to kill a chosen, since they like to blather on after every single shot. The chosen spammed like 4 cartoon villain lines in a row and then just fell over.