Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Uh oh, I wonder if the CIG money is drying up. :X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Out of all the possible outcomes, I think an end resulting directly from hitting a hard wall on technical debt is the most naratively fitting.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

skeletors_condom posted:

Another possible theory:

Everyone at CIG are busy trying to re-building the first 5 missions of Squandered 42 for consoles. The first release of SQ42 (for both PC/consoles) will be a short 5 hour demo-like experience. You'll have to pay another $60 for part 2. Crobo will come out with a video stating "it was always meant to be a trilogy and porting S42 to consoles will allow us to keep funding Star Citizen."

This would explain why they are being silent about the lack of progress.

That would require even one mission of S42 to be built in the first place.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Meanwhile in NMS you can literally design the inside of your own freighter and staff it with alien NPCs, and it's in the game and works.

Yep.

Subnautica lets you jump in/out of the giant submarine and place your own tools/workbenches/art/storage containers all over it
Pulsar lets you customize your interior and run around with multicrew
NMS lets you build your own freighter and hire NPC's
X4 lets you board and capture ships from the NPC's inside
Space Engineers is an entire game built on the concept of building/crewing big ships
Angels Fall First is a multiplayer Battlefront 2 clone with big capship interiors and flyable fighters, all playable with bots
Star Wars Galaxies had ship boarding and npc crews in like, 2001

CIG is failing to re-implement decades old concepts because they insisted on doing everything in the hardest way possible with no compromises, and it all compounds. Ship with an interior flying around? Difficulty rating 1. NPC's navigating inside them? Up to 10. Oh it's also multiplayer and you need to be able to transition from one ship to another? Difficulty 100 now. And it's a long term, persistent MMO? Now you're in the thousands.

So far they've solved for... the very first step in that chain, successfully. Everything else is "Work in progress."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That would require even one mission of S42 to be built in the first place.

Was just going to post exactly this when I refreshed and saw myself beaten.

They don't even know what SQ42 is, much less how to make it. All they have is a stack of used toilet paper that Chris threw on the stage floor a few years back.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

skeletors_condom posted:

Another possible theory:

Everyone at CIG are busy trying to re-building the first 5 missions of Squandered 42 for consoles. The first release of SQ42 (for both PC/consoles) will be a short 5 hour demo-like experience. You'll have to pay another $60 for part 2. Crobo will come out with a video stating "it was always meant to be a trilogy and porting S42 to consoles will allow us to keep funding Star Citizen."

This would explain why they are being silent about the lack of progress.

It would but they literally have made zero progress on any chapter of SQ42 in the last 4 months. Hard to re-build it if it never left the whitebox stage in the first place.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

they insisted on doing everything in the hardest way possible with no compromises

Phrasing it this way gives them a work ethic they lack, and an understanding of development they also lack. It sounds almost positive! I'd put it this way: "They don't know what they're doing."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

It would but they literally have made zero progress on any chapter of SQ42 in the last 4 months. Hard to re-build it if it never left the whitebox stage in the first place.

"Q2 - 2020 - Beta. (Beta progress: 0%)"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The most meaningless and misleading roadmap of all time. Green checkmarks and 100% completion rankings on completely meaningless terms scattershot all over the roadmap in whatever way they please. It's OK - player carriables v2 is completed! What are player carriables? What was v1 like? What did v2 entail? What are the specific fixes and improvements? Does that mean it's done or does it need to go to v7? Does it even work? gently caress you! Players carriables is 100% motherfuckers! Progress.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The grey market exodus is kicking into full swing. Tons of people trying to get out at 70% of what they put in.

[WTS] 150 Store Credit @70%
[WTS] 175$ account for 150$
[WTS] $310 Credits for $217 (70%)
[bump] [WTS] 1030 credits at 70 %
[Blackmarket] [WTS] Veteran Account with RearAdmiral and more. 800€
[bump] [WTS] 1030 credits at 70 %
[WTS] *Discount Scrapyard* $150USD Anvil Hurricane LTI Warbond (pledge cost is usually $195 USD)
selling[WTS] LTI Anvil Carrack $380
[Blackmarket] Account selling include Super Hornet LTI Buccaneer LTI, Prospector LTI, Cutlass Black 3 Month Insurance, Caterpillar 6 Month Insurance

This is all just the last 24 hours. Sorry, boys! Nobody's buying anymore. Didn't you see the sign that CIG put up years ago? It says "New money only."

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Peter.Quint posted:

The white knights seem to regard this as just a seasonal thing and once citcon comes around faith will be restored and the guilty will be punished and made to repent. Who knows, maybe they're right.

They must have read Poor Crobberts' Almanack because they are right. When game development has been going on long enough that you can effortlessly track the seasons like a farmer, when to sow hype and when to reap pledges, then that's when you know everything's going absolutely quadruple A.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

The most meaningless and misleading roadmap of all time. Green checkmarks and 100% completion rankings on completely meaningless terms scattershot all over the roadmap in whatever way they please. It's OK - player carriables v2 is completed! What are player carriables? What was v1 like? What did v2 entail? What are the specific fixes and improvements? Does that mean it's done or does it need to go to v7? Does it even work? gently caress you! Players carriables is 100% motherfuckers! Progress.

Yeah a lot of Citizens are of the opinion they should stop the roadmaps, and they're probably right. It just highlights their lack of progress.

I hope they don't, of course.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I love that bluegoblin’s arguing that even though the road map items haven’t budged at all, that doesn’t mean CIG aren’t working on other stuff. Most transparent development ever.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
New theory. Everyone at CInotG had bike accidents and broke their wrists.
Amazing company for bike commuting, shame about development stalling.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

QA was busy filming Inside Star Citizen, so they couldn't do the final signoff of completed tasks this week.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

So far they've solved for... the very first step in that chain, successfully. Everything else is "Work in progress."

They have also solved the last step, selling the asset

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Scruffpuff posted:

They're running out of bog standard game elements they can take credit for inventing and have to make some progress on the elements of the game that would be near impossible for a seasoned publisher to accomplish. Elements that they promised were possible in 2011. Hell, even the stuff that other companies can do like AI and large scale battles and more than 100 people on a server seem beyond the grasp of CIG as a company.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This is actually all part of our evil plan to build a shadow goonfleet for cheap. Nothing to see here.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dementropy posted:

Over on the FDev forums:

WTF are talking about? Chris doesn't let anything get out unless It is perfect? Are you loving kidding me, have you actually played that pile of poo poo? WTF!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

monkeytek posted:

WTF are talking about? Chris doesn't let anything get out unless It is perfect? Are you loving kidding me, have you actually played that pile of poo poo? WTF!

Just another person confusing obsessive bike-shedding with perfectionism. CR does not care that nothing in the game works. He cares that this one pixel is blue instead of green.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

"Step out of the shadow of the negativity hive mind and step into the light" Totally not a cult!

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Wabi-Sabi

In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi (侘寂) is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection.[2] The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".[3] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印 sanbōin), specifically impermanence (無常 mujō), suffering (苦 ku) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空 kū).

Perfection is grief.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

you need to accept moral culpability for the real problem here: you believed my lies. you idiot, you imbecile.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sad thing is that kid that bombed the shot is younger than the length of development.

And glad for the sunglasses to hide the stare.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You know DICE recently announced that they’re scrapping a planned 5v5 gamemode for Battlefield V (that no one asked for anyway) due to...reasons.

While it’s obviously bad press to have to acknowledge that a feature will be scrapped from a game, I find it somewhat mature of them as well. At least they can swallow their pride and say “gently caress it, let’s re-think this”.

Has CiG ever officially scrapped any of their ideas or “features”? I kind of imagine them going the Trump route of never backing down and never accept an obvious failure.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The feast of a thousand fanboys comences, watch as they devour each other.

Something's definitely, finally, opening the eyes of the backers. The community is becoming more and more polarized.

This is good for Star Citizen.

BigglesSWE posted:

Has CiG ever officially scrapped any of their ideas or “features”? I kind of imagine them going the Trump route of never backing down and never accept an obvious failure.

There will be no "scrapping of ideas" in the land of CInotG, there will be only "refactoring".

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 23, 2019

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

BigglesSWE posted:

You know DICE recently announced that they’re scrapping a planned 5v5 gamemode for Battlefield V (that no one asked for anyway) due to...reasons.

While it’s obviously bad press to have to acknowledge that a feature will be scrapped from a game, I find it somewhat mature of them as well. At least they can swallow their pride and say “gently caress it, let’s re-think this”.

They can't scrap any of their proposed ideas/features because they've already sold those features for hundreds or thousands of american dollars and they can't afford to make refunds.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

Their original terms of service and "The Pledge" are the two obvious ones.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/squadron_42/status/1165006793770037248

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sad thing is that kid that bombed the shot is younger than the length of development.

This kinda poo poo is crazy to think about

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Reminder: tomorrow is the super special invitation-only concierge backer event where they're gonna get offered a never before seen ship for sale, or some loving thing.

Hopefully it's the minelayer and another pile of new mechanics

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol this accounts' first tweet since July, and one of Chris' only video appearances for MONTHS, and it's a loving partnership video for a gaming PC company

No news or mention of the game at all

Again, you just can't make this poo poo up

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sarsapariller posted:

Reminder: tomorrow is the super special invitation-only concierge backer event where they're gonna get offered a never before seen ship for sale, or some loving thing.

Hopefully it's the minelayer and another pile of new mechanics

oh no they're going to go all heaven's gate on us

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

"This ship might be slow but she ain't stoppin' for nobody!" proclaimed the captain of the Titanic.

"That's right sir" quipped the pilot, "all this talk of icebergs is pure FUD."

"I've no idea what you're talking about, what the gently caress even is a reddit? Enough chatter you anachronistic rapscallion! Steer into that big white thing, I want a closer look."

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!
High times at the Führerbunker ...
:peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Strangler 42 posted:

oh no they're going to go all heaven's gate on us

Thousand dollar Kool aid, hundreds dead