Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of all the almost universally horrible advice that everyone under 40 has been bombarded with all their lives, 'be yourself' might be the most insidiously terrible.

It's great advice and perfect here. He's a complete rear end, who's going to drive himself to be single, freeing his poor girl.

He wouldn't be happy staying, she certainly won't, and eventually if he keeps being an honest rear end, he'll realize he's unhappy and has to change.

Or die alone and bitter. Win-win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

feedmegin posted:

Also, in some countries/areas it's tradition for basically everyone to go on vacation in August. Don't live in a tourist spot, nobody's going to be around to go to your restaurant, no reason to have it open.

He lives in Toronto, closing up in the middle of summer is incredibly stupid. Like if you're going to close for a week do it in the winter when nobody is leaving the house unless they need to.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Araenna posted:

I would have had no idea what he wanted me to say. I don't think I've thanked a veteran in my life. And I was married to a Marine for 2 years

"Thanks for nothing," is always appropriate.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Grape posted:

Hipstery white people sometimes have a hard time grasping that some of the cool delicious exotic foods are also casual relatively simple traditional fast foods. Like everything special from far away is some sort of highly complicated French art cuisine surely! But naw though.
Kebab gets the same kind of treatment.

Pizza snobbery is the loving worst.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Power Khan posted:

I (20M) went to a strip club with my girlfriend (20F) and it was a disaster

Thinking of maybe sitting down with the girl and my gf so she can help me out

yup, you already figured out the perfect next step, no need to read any other replies, just remember to post an update

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [29] am getting fed up with my husband's [30] immaturity.

TL;DR: husband is continuously immature and irresponsible, and it is starting to make me resentful. I want to fix things. What do I do?

why do so many mothers raise completely useless sons? seriously, what in the gently caress is up with this? I could guarantee everyone reading this knows or has known a man like this, a grown child that somehow latches onto another mommy figure when he finds a suitable one in order to move out of the family home. I mean gently caress, I know two off the top of my head, my half-brother: turning 21 this year, still living in dad and stepmom's house, laundry done and dinners cooked, hobbies are smoking weed and Rainbow 6 Siege. he didn't even graduate high school. and my best friend is partnered with a guy with the exact same problems. It's completely pathetic and honestly feels endemic or something.

And then you have the wife in this scenario, who literally admits that "his parents cooked him dinner every night until we moved out" as a strike against him, but what does that say about her? Like lady, you literally knew him before you married him, why are you suddenly surprised that he's a total useless moron? Did you think you could change him?? WHY???????? what the fuckkkckcalskdlakf god this thread is not good for my brain sometimes lmao

new boot goofin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 23, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

HOT BREAD! posted:

why do so many mothers raise completely useless sons? . . . . what does that say about her? Like lady, you literally knew him before you married him, why are you suddenly surprised that he's a total useless moron? Did you think you could change him?? WHY???????? what the fuckkkckcalskdlakf god this thread is not good for my brain sometimes lmao

you seem mad about the women in this situation and not the failsons and absentee fathers.

how come

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

HOT BREAD! posted:

why do so many mothers raise completely useless sons? seriously, what in the gently caress is up with this? I could guarantee everyone reading this knows or has known a man like this, a grown child that somehow latches onto another mommy figure when he finds a suitable one in order to move out of the family home. I mean gently caress, I know two off the top of my head, my half-brother: turning 21 this year, still living in dad and stepmom's house, hobbies are smoking weed and Rainbow 6 Siege. he didn't even graduate high school. and my best friend is partnered with a guy with the exact same problems. It's completely pathetic and honestly feels endemic or something.

And then you have the wife in this scenario, who literally admits that "his parents cooked him dinner every night until we moved out" as a strike against him, but what does that say about her? Like lady, you literally knew him before you married him, why are you suddenly surprised that he's a total useless moron? Did you think you could change him?? WHY???????? what the fuckkkckcalskdlakf god this thread is not good for my brain sometimes lmao

I like reading about guys like this. They make me feel like some kind of paragon of competence just because I can do my own laundry

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

you seem mad about the women in this situation and not the failsons and absentee fathers.

how come

oh no no no don't get me wrong I think they're equally pathetic, i didn't feel like vomiting any more words out about the topic because I'd be here all day, lol

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Expecting thanks is 100% a stolen valor giveaway. Dude was probably the daddy's service record shitstain who sent poor kids overseas, if he served at all.

Right? Like why wouldn't a vet be using a VA hospital or network provider for healthcare? And wouldn't the OP know if she was in a VA network or whatever if she was getting veterans all the time? Very suspicious.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

how come

Because presumably they are the less stupid one of the two that should know better than to keep touching a hot stove.

Like my cat that sneaks into the garage/basement the moment I open the door. Then she gets stuck there because I didn't see her run in and howls and howls until I let her out. I don't blame her because she's a dumb loving animal. It's my fault that I keep putting up with her bullshit.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

HOT BREAD! posted:

oh no no no don't get me wrong I think they're equally pathetic, i didn't feel like vomiting any more words out about the topic because I'd be here all day, lol

i gotchu boo

why do so many parents raise completely useless sons? seriously, what in the gently caress is up with this? I could guarantee everyone reading this knows or has known a man like this, a grown child that somehow latches onto another parent-figure when he finds a suitable one in order to move out of the family home. I mean gently caress, I know two off the top of my head, my half-brother: turning 21 this year, still living in dad and stepmom's house, hobbies are smoking weed and Rainbow 6 Siege. he didn't even graduate high school. and my best friend is partnered with a guy with the exact same problems. It's completely pathetic and honestly feels endemic or something.

And then you have the partner in this scenario, who literally admits that "his parents cooked him dinner every night until we moved out" as a strike against him, but what does that say about them? Like buddy, you literally knew him before you married him, why are you suddenly surprised that he's a total useless moron? Did you think you could change him?? WHY???????? what the fuckkkckcalskdlakf god this thread is not good for my brain sometimes lmao

bamhand posted:

Because presumably they are the less stupid one of the two that should know better than to keep touching a hot stove.

Like my cat that sneaks into the garage/basement the moment I open the door. Then she gets stuck there because I didn't see her run in and howls and howls until I let her out. I don't blame her because she's a dumb loving animal. It's my fault that I keep putting up with her bullshit.

yes, cats and women are similar in demeanor and behavior, i concur. both of them dislike me and refuse my physical affection. also, a third funny thing.

(no.)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i gotchu boo

yes, cats and women are similar in demeanor and behavior, i concur. both of them dislike me and refuse my physical affection. also, a third funny thing.

(no.)

The cat is the man.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i gotchu boo

thakns friend :shobon:

and to make up for lack of content and too much e/n, have.... this:

Me [19 M] with my student house [19M, 20M, 19M]: Somebody is using my shower cloth and leaving brown stains

quote:

Non-Romantic

Hello, embarrassing question. I am an overseas student who came to the US to study in January. I am in a shared campus residence, four with a shared kitchen and bathroom. I have a shower washcloth and I leave it on the side on the rack, like the others do. It is white, and very distinctive compared to the others in the residence.

However, I noticed two days ago that there was a brown stain on a lot of it, and I DEFINITELY did not make that. I was disgusted and also thought the others would see that and think I left it. I threw it in the bin and bought another similar cloth, also white yesterday, but this morning i have returned too see there is another brown stain on it.

tl;dr: somebody is leaving stains on my wash cloth

vindictive skid marker, or guilty party trying to cover his tracks on the internet???? you decide

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

(no.)

Yah the cat, who is clearly the idiot, is the man. I, who ostensibly am not an idiot (insert sick burn here), am the woman in the scenario.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I know two off the top of my head, my half-brother: turning 21 this year, still living in dad and stepmom's house, hobbies are smoking weed and Rainbow 6 Siege. he didn't even graduate high school. and my best friend is partnered with a guy with the exact same problems. It's completely pathetic and honestly feels endemic or something.

My older brother is 35 and has never lived outside of the house. He finally got a full time job a few years ago. His whole life is get up, go to work, take a nap after getting home, playing video games and going out with friends. My dad cooks him breakfast and dinner and packs him a lunch. Heck, the other day we were texting about something and he said 'GTG your brother forgot his lunch'. If my dad isn't around for dinner, he preps him a meal with instructions on how long to put it in the oven for. Dad does all of his laundry and other stuff he's too lazy to do.

My dad sometimes grumbles and laments 'Maybe I'm just a lovely father!' but does nothing to change it.

Unlike a lot of women in these stories, his girlfriend got fed up with his Peter Pan attitude and bounced.

I wonder what the heck is going to happen to him when my dad dies and he can't live like a perpetual child anymore.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 24, 2019

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

HOT BREAD! posted:

thakns friend :shobon:

and to make up for lack of content and too much e/n, have.... this:

Me [19 M] with my student house [19M, 20M, 19M]: Somebody is using my shower cloth and leaving brown stains

vindictive skid marker, or guilty party trying to cover his tracks on the internet???? you decide

just ask each of them “what’s the difference between toilet paper and a washcloth?” and if they say “I don’t know” they did it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HOT BREAD! posted:

why do so many mothers raise completely useless sons? seriously, what in the gently caress is up with this?

young girls are socialized to participate in housework, young boys are not - boys are often encouraged to be slobs by parents who replicate this behavior, typically homes where the mother ends up doing most if not all of the chores

kids as young as two can be encouraged to at least pick up their toys, because they love being helpful and participating in house duties. my four year old's job is picking up all the rugs off the floor so i can sweep up. so it's real easy to encourage kids to realize that they live in the house too and have a responsibility to keep the house clean until you just end up doing everything for them so that they never learn

but social behavior replicates through the generations and the lingering effect of the division of domestic labor is that men take care of outside jobs and women take care of inside jobs, which are far more burdensome and numerous, so mom ends up doing all the cleaning anyway while dad sits around not helping until it's time for the weekly lawn mowing or whatever

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I’ve seen it as a form of codependency, where the mother cultivated her child to be that way. They never needed to learn how to do stuff for themselves because mommy would take care of that. And it’s a whole lot of reprogramming that needs to get done that isn’t easy at all because obviously, mom still loves and cares for you but it’s just not a healthy way to live.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

luxury handset posted:

men take care of outside jobs and women take care of inside jobs, which are far more burdensome and numerous, so mom ends up doing all the cleaning anyway while dad sits around not helping until it's time for the weekly lawn mowing or whatever

haha and then they get all pissy when you bring this up like "UH BUT I MOW THE LAWN AND CLEAN THE GUTTERS AND DO CAR STUFF" like uh bro, you do that every day, several times a day? have you ever picked up a fuckin can of Pledge? you literally see that exact reply in every comment section in articles about household inequity, it's like clockwork

new boot goofin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 23, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

I like reading about guys like this. They make me feel like some kind of paragon of competence just because I can do my own laundry

There is a code in the military for when the superiors have to do a "health and hygiene" check on the enlisted grunts because many of them don't understand they need to bathe and wash their clothes.

And these are the ones who actually leave their home voluntarily.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

pentyne posted:

There is a code in the military for when the superiors have to do a "health and hygiene" check on the enlisted grunts because many of them don't understand they need to bathe and wash their clothes.

I'll thank 'em for that service.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

LadyPictureShow posted:

My older brother is 35 and has never lived outside of the house.
My cousin is late 30s and lives at home and hasn't worked a full time job ever, and hasn't worked any job for years. He was a hotshot athlete with the world in his palm when he was in high school/college, but got hooked to drugs. It's a sad story as he is actually smart and capable. I'm sure he feels it is too late for him now.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Speaking of unequal chores...
My husband(33m) is a stay at home dad. How do I(31f) get him to help or contribute more?

quote:

We have been together for 10 years. My husband is a stay at home dad. When it came time for me to go back to work, we decided to move to a different city for work for better opportunities. This meant that whoever got a job in the new city first would work, and the other would be a stay at home parent for our kiddo (1.5y). I got a job offer first, and a pretty well paying job that should have been good for one of us to stay home, as daycare in our area has long waitlists and costs as much as 75% of one of our incomes.

Now, I am working full time (45-50+ hours a week) while he stays home to take care of our child, and I recently needed to get another part time job, on top of my full time job to get us ahead in our bills as unexpected expenses arose. I take care of the finances, and bills, as well as coming home to do laundry, dish washing, tidying and our chores are still piled up.

How do I get him to stay on top of basic chores? I know that taking care of our kid takes first priority, but I feel like we are having the same conversation every two weeks and I don't know how to get us to move forward. Our relationship is suffering because our house is filthy and I come home and feel responsible to make dinner and clean up and start my day all over again.

Tl;dr How do I get my husband (a stay at home dad) to feel responsible to keep our house clean and contribute more to our household?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 23, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My wife is a SAHM, and honestly I have to come home and cook/clean all the time. Taking care of small children sucks and it is hard to get anything done when they destroy the house constantly.

That husband should've gotten a part time job though instead of the wife having two jobs.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm hoping the guy was actually alluding to something else in context that the OP just wasn't picking on. If he was really just fishing to be thanked for his service by everyone he comes across then he's an enormous tool. Most vets get tired of that poo poo anyway, the only ones who like it are the biggest douchebags around. Any vet can confirm this.

Maybe he didn't want a guy near his girlfriend? If it's a guy, anyway. I don't know what else "THIS IS MY FIANCE AND *IMPLICATION THAT I CAN FIGHT*" could mean.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
He's only watching 1 kid? He can wash some clothes or vacuum the floor, drat. He just doesn't want to. Taking care of kids is hard (I was a stay at home dad for a few months between jobs) and I still got poo poo done.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Leon Einstein posted:

That husband should've gotten a part time job though instead of the wife having two jobs.

I almost jumped in to say that childcare will cost more than the PT job brings in then i realized it was a Leon Einstein post so I'm leaving this as a tombstone for other unwary souls.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

He's only watching 1 kid? He can wash some clothes or vacuum the floor, drat. He just doesn't want to. Taking care of kids is hard (I was a stay at home dad for a few months between jobs) and I still got poo poo done.
Yeah, 1 kid is easy peasy, but you don't realize how easy until you add more.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I almost jumped in to say that childcare will cost more than the PT job brings in then i realized it was a Leon Einstein post so I'm leaving this as a tombstone for other unwary souls.
Or you could read the post and see that she picked up a second job. He could've picked up PT work at night when she's home instead of her having no time with her kid.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 23, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Op mentioned the chore list in the comments:

quote:

We have made various chore lists that might get adhered to for a week but dropped and forgotten. He knows that I mainly ask for dishes cleaned, laundry getting done and floors sweot and clean. Its not just a vague clean up. I am in charge of cleaning our bathroom, all bedrooms, and organizing

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, 1 kid is easy peasy, but you don't realize hiw easy until you add more.

I had the house spotless with 2 kids when my wife would come home. I can't cook for poo poo but I did a little of that too. There is no reason your house should be a mess if you're watching 1 kid, sorry

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

I had the house spotless with 2 kids when my wife would come home. I can't cook for poo poo but I did a little of that too. There is no reason your house should be a mess if you're watching 1 kid, sorry
Yeah, I agree.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
"What's the problem, honey? I'm watching our kid, aren't I? :haw:"

AND he's got literal lists written for him. jesus, the kid is 1.5, put them in a playpen or something while you sweep the floor, it cannot be THAT hard

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Especially a kid young enough to be taking naps still. That was always "get poo poo done" time at our house.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What’s sadder is that so many guys live in trash heaps, don’t wipe their asses, don’t brush their teeth, and then don’t understand why this stuff matters. At least not until it gets them in a big way, like needing extensive dental work or something.

It’s just such a miserable way to live drowning in garbage and your own filth. Even if their parents screwed them over by not teaching them to clean up, they could still take care of themselves or just Google how.

Just really drat sad. They deserve to treat themselves with more care.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

HIJK posted:

What’s sadder is that so many guys live in trash heaps, don’t wipe their asses, don’t brush their teeth, and then don’t understand why this stuff matters. At least not until it gets them in a big way, like needing extensive dental work or something.

It’s just such a miserable way to live drowning in garbage and your own filth. Even if their parents screwed them over by not teaching them to clean up, they could still take care of themselves or just Google how.

What I don’t get is the women who date them for years and marry them and then suddenly it’s a problem

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HIJK posted:

A big shock to the US government was when establishing the draft for WW2 the initial requirement was basic literacy.

They had to get creative for what accounted for "basic" and even then were having to disqualify a major percentage of recruits.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

HIJK posted:

iirc there a goon that dissected some PUA books/pdfs and found like 80% of it was around extraordinary normal stuff like this* - smell nice, get a good haircut, wear clothes that fit. Then some basic human interaction stuff - speak clearly, make eye contect, be at least a tiny bit interesting etc. Then these guys are absolutely shocked and amazed at how far not being a literal turd golem will get you. They just needed Dumbo's Magic Feather to give them the confidence all along.

* - there was some creepy stuff about NLP, weird touching etc that was really gross too, yes.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Pfft, here come the Americans bragging about their high standards of living again. We get it, fellas! You're so pampered by all that privilege you don't have to learn to read!

Showoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

goethe.cx posted:

What I don’t get is the women who date them for years and marry them and then suddenly it’s a problem

A lot have the mentality that he'll change, grow up, start taking responsibility etc. It's such a shame that so many women don't hit the realisation that the man isn't going to change until they're already locked in with marriage and/or children and face a much uglier break-up than if they'd cut their losses years earlier.