Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

Machikado is even better now that it has an actual plot, in addition to the secret subplots it's been tucking away all this time.

Is Momo's quest to get a buff GF the main plot or a subplot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Actually Granbelm is the show everyone should be watching

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I would try Machikado but it's only on this VRV thing and I don't know what that is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldn't really compare machikado to dr. stone, though i also didn't really like dr. stone

granbelm is cool, i'd rec machikado and granbelm

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

StandardVC10 posted:

I would try Machikado but it's only on this VRV thing and I don't know what that is

It's also on HiDive

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's also on HiDive

Oh poo poo you're right! I must have been looking for it under the wrong title.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Granbelm dropping huge cliffhanger bombs the day before Symphogear drops Cliffhanger bombs is an amazing 1-2 combo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if we're talking about underrated shows, yall mfs need to watch Run With The Wind before the year ends, i swear

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

its readily available on more convenient websites :filez:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

I AM THE MOON posted:

its readily available on more convenient websites :filez:

The fansubs by Mad le Zisell put in a ton of extra work on text formatting. They also de-convert the units back into metric/yen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have no loving idea who thought translating yen into dollars was a good thing but they should be slapped

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Sakurazuka posted:

I have no loving idea who thought translating yen into dollars was a good thing but they should be slapped

The true crime was translating 4 kilometers into 3 miles.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It irks me that manga and anime always call 5ks marathons but maybe that’s a cultural thing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Agronox posted:

It irks me that manga and anime always call 5ks marathons but maybe that’s a cultural thing.

Ehh, I get it- a lot of people in casual conversations will call and long walking/running event a marathon, even if it isn't literally a marathon's distance.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aoi Yuuki is voicing the main heroine for a magical girl show and the main bad guy this season so why not go one further and have her play like the main Precure and the main Precure villain in a season (has to be 2 different characters not villain turned Precure)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aoi Yuuki needs to voice more characters where she gets the chance to bust out the crazy laughs and foul mouthed tirades.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Expect My Mom posted:

if we're talking about underrated shows, yall mfs need to watch Run With The Wind before the year ends, i swear

It's the only anime I've watched to completion in about 2yrs.

e: I watched megalobox as well, but still...run with the wind is really good.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 24, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom posted:

It's real good

I'm still working on it because I'm in the back half and every episode makes me cry, I love these boys

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
does machikado just translate all instances of yen into dollars without doing the value conversion

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

god bless Symphogear for bring back Symmetrical Docking in the final season

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

dudermcbrohan posted:

does machikado just translate all instances of yen into dollars without doing the value conversion

She says Juu-man hassen which is 108000, yeah about 1080 bucks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dudermcbrohan posted:

Lmao

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i'm getting both yes and no answers so i'll just say that it's fine that translated subs are translating the currency (assuming actual conversion is happening), not everyone knows the easy trick to lop off the last two numbers to convert yen to dollars

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't think converting currency and especially measurement units is good practice, it's not like english subtitles are only for people in the US

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Measurements are iffy but there is no functional difference from mentally converting dollars to whatever currency you use and doing the same with yen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I would probably care less in dubs cause that has more room for adaptation (though it'd still annoy me a bit) but in subs it's pretty clear they're saying yen and km so subbing it otherwise just really stands out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dudermcbrohan posted:

i'm getting both yes and no answers so i'll just say that it's fine that translated subs are translating the currency (assuming actual conversion is happening), not everyone knows the easy trick to lop off the last two numbers to convert yen to dollars

Maybe if they translated them into my currency

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

It's kinda dumb and I don't really get why they're doing it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also yen to USD is one of the easiest mental currency conversions to do. Just put a dot in front of the last two numbers and you have a general ballpark.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I need my conversions accurate to the current day of trading value.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That 5% difference matters a lot if you're getting paid.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you don't translate the money to keep it authentic, you should also keep the honorifics

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a completely bizarre thing to translate though. It's not some obscure weeb knowledge poo poo, basically any random person off the street will be aware that they use yen in Japan and have a rough idea of its value.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
¥100 = $1.00

(Well $0.95, but close enough)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

doomrider7 posted:

¥100 = $1.00

(Well $0.95, but close enough)

Really? Yen's weaker than I thought.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

That was one of my favorite random little things about Persona 3, you could occasionally get updates on the TV in the dorm about the exchange rate

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

Really? Yen's weaker than I thought.

It's been like that for a VERY long time now, though there have been fluctuations here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Translating yen to dollars is some jellyfilled donut poo poo