Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Here's a video with incredibly good timing re: my climate anxiety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

does anyone here have experience with trazodone as a sleep aid? I have situational, intermittent insomnia (good timing based on the last page). I said as much to my new doc and she just gave me 90 pills. I'm curious about other folks' experiences if they've used it for a sleep aid

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've used trazodone many many times for sleep - i started using it sometimes when I was young and used adderall a lot and it was pretty helpful for drifting off after a binge when I was coming down but still too twitchy to properly sleep. similarly, when I was addicted to dope, I used trazodone on nights when I couldn't fix as a sleep aid since I had terrible restless legs and the principal symptom of withdrawal, physically, for me at least, was horrible insomnia. it helped some which is impressive because withdrawal is really hard to mitigate.

nowadays, I'm sober, and I used trazodone a few times recently to help me sleep when I first started my new job and was very anxious, and would wake up a lot during the night. it helped me stay asleep at least a little bit, and definitely put me to sleep quicker than OTC sleep aids.

in my anecdotal experience the nice thing about trazodone is that it doesn't have any qualitative effects that you can perceive after taking it other than sleepiness. unlike ambien, benzos, etc, it has no recreational value and doesn't feel as habit forming. if you're not really into taking a prescription, I'd recommend trying unisom or generic doxylamine succinate first, since I've found it is very similar to trazodone but maybe slightly less potent.

anyway, i've retained about 50 trazodone from old prescriptions for the same reason, its best for intermittent sleeplessness.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

does anyone here have experience with trazodone as a sleep aid? I have situational, intermittent insomnia (good timing based on the last page). I said as much to my new doc and she just gave me 90 pills. I'm curious about other folks' experiences if they've used it for a sleep aid

I took it for a handful of nights. It did succeed in making me drowsy, but I was having physiological issues that prevented it from inducing sleep. I didn't experience any significant side effects (just a little dry mouth).

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

My unfortunate experience with otc and prescription sleep aids is that they induce deeply unpleasant dreams and then I have an emotional hangover all day and don't feel at all rested.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Frog Act posted:

:words:

anyway, i've retained about 50 trazodone from old prescriptions for the same reason, its best for intermittent sleeplessness.

that sounds exactly what I'm looking for, honestly. When I'm having trouble sleeping when I have to be up at a certain time, I'd take an ativan. I dont want to waste/use benzos when something else will do the trick and I just need to sleep

SubnormalityStairs posted:

I took it for a handful of nights. It did succeed in making me drowsy, but I was having physiological issues that prevented it from inducing sleep. I didn't experience any significant side effects (just a little dry mouth).

yeah, I see that is a very common side effect. I can live with dry mouth

xcheopis posted:

My unfortunate experience with otc and prescription sleep aids is that they induce deeply unpleasant dreams and then I have an emotional hangover all day and don't feel at all rested.

that's a bummer. I've grown to really enjoy hosed up nightmares. Free horror movie! Sorry to hear they (drugs and dreams) affect you negatively.

thanks, fellow mental health goons!

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

xcheopis posted:

I was a bit worried about that with the amitriptyline, as I'd read they produced horrible nightmares for some. But even after quadrupling my initial dose (I started at 12.5 mg), I haven't found my dreams have gotten *worse*, but they do strangely have more variety and are a bit more vivid than they used to be. I found I had the same reaction to melatonin. YMMV?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

yes hello

Trazedone is really good imo. the sleepiness effect is more calming than forcing you to be drowsy. also, its an antidepressant! two for the price of one!

I cant take it for extended periods of time though or I have trouble telling the difference between dreams and reality. :stare: I have odd issues with meds though, so thats probably atypical.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

that sounds nice...the calming, not the side effect you experience lol. that sounds kinda scary, but I've been super lucky so far on my pharmacological safari with only prozac really giving me both barrels on side effects

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I was a bit worried about that with the amitriptyline, as I'd read they produced horrible nightmares for some. But even after quadrupling my initial dose (I started at 12.5 mg), I haven't found my dreams have gotten *worse*, but they do strangely have more variety and are a bit more vivid than they used to be. I found I had the same reaction to melatonin. YMMV?

I'm at a point where I don't want to remember any dreams, so more vivid ones would bother me. I'm sticking with CBD edibles for now, as they at least also help with the inflammation and pain. It sucks, because a prescription would be so much cheaper! Stupid brain!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can only work part-time hours because thanks to my mangled digestive tract I'm trapped in the bathroom most of my waking hours, the only reason I'm employed is because the grocery store where I work is literally right around the corner from my parents house where I live and because I stuck it out long enough that they can't fire me as we're unionized

but I thought, well I can never move out, but I do have enough savings to add a separate entrance to my basement and hunker down and maybe make my lovely life a little less lovely. Except now I've been told to hold off on that, because my parents might decide to sell the place and move to a shack in the woods somewhere, far away from my job, or public transit or my doctor. It's been made clear to me that my needs are not a consideration in this decision.

I'm leaving out a lot, including the part where they waited nearly a week to take me to a walk-in clinic after my appendix burst in the first place, leading to a month-long hospital stay and years of complications. I'm sorry I just needed to vent because I feel like I have even less of a future than I did before. I want everyone reading this to know that I'm pulling for you.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Eat This Glob posted:

I took it years ago - I remember it working OK, but it gave me a really stuffed up nose, so I had to stop taking it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

that sounds nice...the calming, not the side effect you experience lol. that sounds kinda scary, but I've been super lucky so far on my pharmacological safari with only prozac really giving me both barrels on side effects

well, keep in mind Im not having vivid hallucinations in the street or anything. I just have to ask MY WIFE if I dreamed something or it actually happened and given were in Hell world thats probably a valid question tbh

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

yeah, that is super true, chokes.

and thank you im_sorry for your experience!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Tighclops posted:

I can only work part-time hours because thanks to my mangled digestive tract I'm trapped in the bathroom most of my waking hours, the only reason I'm employed is because the grocery store where I work is literally right around the corner from my parents house where I live and because I stuck it out long enough that they can't fire me as we're unionized

but I thought, well I can never move out, but I do have enough savings to add a separate entrance to my basement and hunker down and maybe make my lovely life a little less lovely. Except now I've been told to hold off on that, because my parents might decide to sell the place and move to a shack in the woods somewhere, far away from my job, or public transit or my doctor. It's been made clear to me that my needs are not a consideration in this decision.

I'm leaving out a lot, including the part where they waited nearly a week to take me to a walk-in clinic after my appendix burst in the first place, leading to a month-long hospital stay and years of complications. I'm sorry I just needed to vent because I feel like I have even less of a future than I did before. I want everyone reading this to know that I'm pulling for you.

So many stories of families like this, yet people say that we're not experiencing generational warfare

Do whatever you can to exchange being dependent on olds for being dependent on youngs, becuase the olds will gently caress you every time

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

welp i forgot and missed a meeting at work today, and one of my coworkers was casually "so it doesn't seem like you've been getting a lot done recently" and now im going to be freaking out about it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

StashAugustine posted:

welp i forgot and missed a meeting at work today, and one of my coworkers was casually "so it doesn't seem like you've been getting a lot done recently" and now im going to be freaking out about it

steal things and then burn the place down

(actually dont do that)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Not sure burning down the university I also go to is a good idea but I could use some robots around the house.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
My lexapro/melatonin mad dream was that my head detached from my body in my sleep and grew a whole new body (with clothes). So I woke up to a headless copy of my own body and started dragging it out of the room and then had an existential crisis muttering "oh poo poo, oh gently caress" like Marvin in pulp fiction, and then regained my composure but was still at a loss as to how to dispose of my own human body bc you can't just throw it in the trash. Then I woke up for real muttering "jesus christ" out loud.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

redsniper posted:

My lexapro/melatonin mad dream was that my head detached from my body in my sleep and grew a whole new body (with clothes). So I woke up to a headless copy of my own body and started dragging it out of the room and then had an existential crisis muttering "oh poo poo, oh gently caress" like Marvin in pulp fiction, and then regained my composure but was still at a loss as to how to dispose of my own human body bc you can't just throw it in the trash. Then I woke up for real muttering "jesus christ" out loud.

wildest dream I had is not only mostly inexplicable in human language but also caused me to bolt awake doing a tropical bird trill at the top of my lungs

it involved a minimalism soundtrack set to a gibberish narrative that I had an empty grin listening to and thats as far as the processing gets before I go nope

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
it wasnt even scary, I just turned to my wife who was giving me a :stonk: look and calmly told her my brain just slipped a goddamn cog

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to take trazodone for insomnia and I hated it because I'd feel like I was drowning or suffocating right before I passed out and it was absolutely terrifying.

So nowadays I just have an inconstant sleep schedule. :sg:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Time to play guess my disorder

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm someone with said sensitivity, so your two polite honks at the intersection (if it's the one outside my apartment) will have me drop whatever computer work I'm doing due to being sent flying into an involuntary rage as I obsessively think about the honk sound and the fact that someone driving was in the wrong for one full minute :smith: Might be OCD, it's getting worse and I need to get on some SSRIs or something. LA has really sucked for me for the past decade in that regard.

Things that also have the same effect: Hitting my head on anything (even very lightly), startling noises, any unpleasant surprising stimuli at all (like an inanimate object not working as intended). I get weird facial pain when it happens. Over the years I'm also increasingly sensitive to light (get migraines if there's any) and have to take these like sensory deprivation showers in a pitch black room with the water pointed at my face to get over them. Also sensitive to anything touching my lower body, which instantly gives me painful digestive spasms. Been diagnosed with nutcracker esophagitis (meaning the throat spasms itself into a corkscrew shape) during one of those episodes, which feels like a heart attack, but usually it's lower GI instead. Also super sensitive to feelings of uncleanliness and some other, mostly social, stimuli. What the gently caress

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 07:37 on Aug 24, 2019

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
big good break through today for me - had peopple over for most fo the day doing fun poo poo and in th emiddle of it thought some dumb thing about limate change - like, seriously dumb, like i just had an intrusive thought about how one small aspect of what we were doing would be changed because of climate change - and for the rest of the 5 or so hours we were all together i kept coming back to it and it completely tainted my whole perception of the hangout from that point on.

And I realized. I am not depressed because im avoiding hanging out with people or doing things i like. I'm avoiding hanging out with people or doing things I like BECAUSE I'M DEPRESSED.

And that's a little simplistic, maybe, but it fundamentally reoriented my perspective on it. I have been succumbinb to the (common) thought that obviously, nothing I do has a cause - I am the prime mover in my life. If I hvae depression, its because I am doing something that's causing it to me. But maybe it works the other way around. And I do things because of other things impact on me. It's a stupid realization to have but goddamn.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Any of you have suggestions for derailing the rumination sad train at night? No matter how tired I am, the moment I lay down in bed I'm wide awake and just chock full of anxiety. I turn down the lights and relax the hour before, only use my bed for sleep, listened to white noise/music/tv shows/etc, only have my phone in the room and have it set to switch to warm light an hour before bed. I even bought a weighted blanket earlier this year, which wholly recommend, even if it doesn't help with falling asleep. The only things that work for sure are getting wasted or taking some of my emergency Xanax (absolutely never together!!)

I'm not terribly keen on a hypnotic for bed, mostly because I already take enough medication, and every time I mention sleep problems to my prescribing doc, he blames my ADHD medication.

Anyone have something/nighttime ritual that helps?

I know this post is from forever ago, but I do want to add to the posts from others about this, and I see from a post of yours just a couple of weeks ago that you're still having insomnia issues.

First and most importantly, alcohol is one of the worst things you can do for sleep. It absolutely can help you fall asleep faster, but it disturbs sleep later in the night and will make your sleep less restful. In the end it will only make insomnia worse.

A lot of folks (including you) mentioned various sleep hygiene stuff. These are all good habits for maintaining healthy sleep, but can't really fix insomnia. Think of it like this: brushing your teeth will help prevent getting cavities, but if you do get one your dentist won't fix it by telling you to brush more; at that point another intervention is necessary to fix the problem. Sleep hygiene is the same way, it's preventative rather than restorative.

From the way you describe it, it sounds like your brain has started associating being in bed with feeling anxiety. You'll know this for sure if you start feeling anxiety even before you go to bed. For your symptoms of late onset sleep, the major behavioral intervention I would suggest (that a couple of people touched on) is Stimulus Control Therapy, and for cognitive interventions I would look at Designated Worry Time, cognitive restructuring, and cognitive shuffling.

Stimulus Control Therapy

The intention with this intervention is to retrain your brain to associate the bedroom and bed with sleep. The basic recipe is this:

• Stay out of the bedroom as much as possible, and only use it for sleep and sex
  • Go to bed only when sleepy
  • After you go to bed, if you're ever awake more than 20 minutes, get out of bed, go to another room, and do something non-stimulating until you're nodding off, then go back to bed
  • Have a consistent wake-up time every day. Ideally, you want to be exposed to natural light within an hour of waking
  • Don't nap during the day

For the first week or two, you may find you're getting less sleep, because you're intentionally staying out of bed when you could conceivably be sleeping. But, even if it doesn't improve your sleep right away, you should find even with the first few nights that you have far less anxiety, because you're doing something other than lying in bed feeling anxious.

Designated Worry Time

The intention with this is to reduce the amount of worrying you do, not only at night when you're trying to fall asleep, but during the day as well. It's pretty much comprised of two components.

First, set aside 10 minutes sometime during the day (it doesn't need to be the same time every day, it just needs to be done every day), set a timer, and do nothing but worry. Don't ruminate over the past, only think of things you're worried about for the future. Just worry the absolute poo poo out of them, and drive up your anxiety as much as possible. If you run out of things to worry about before the 10 minutes is up, re-worry about the stuff you've already worried about. After your 10 minutes is up, for the first couple of days you'll probably feel like dogshit, so be sure to do something positive to get yourself out of that headspace.

Second, when you think of a worry during the rest of your day, tell yourself "ok, I can absolutely worry about this, but I will do so during my next DWT," and move on.

For a lot of people, this sounds weird and counter-intuitive, but it really does work. YMMV, but it took me a grand total of four days before I wasn't worrying about anything during the day, and my DWT became just boring because I couldn't drive up my anxiety significantly anymore. It's worth noting in my case that most of my worry was a result of the insomnia, and I had already started sleeping a bit better before starting the DWT, so it almost certainly will take longer if your major worries are outside of the insomnia problem. If you find it's not helping at all in a couple of weeks, it's almost certainly because you're ruminating instead of worrying.

Cognitive Restructuring

The goal here is to turn catastrophic thoughts (ie. "I'll never fall asleep!" "Insomnia is going to kill me!") into more accurate thoughts. Whenever you have a catastrophic thought, challenge it for truth and accuracy, and if it's not accurate, replace it with a thought that is accurate. For example, "insomnia is going to kill me" isn't accurate. "Insomnia is going to make me feel like poo poo" totally is accurate, but far less catastrophic. Note that the intention is not to turn "bad" thoughts into "good" thoughts, only to take some of the sting out of bad thoughts. It's much easier to accept that yeah, if I don't sleep tonight, I'm going to feel like poo poo tomorrow, but it's not going to kill me or anything.

Cognitive Shuffling

Cognitive shuffling is intended to get your brain into the same thought patterns that usually happen naturally when you're in the initial transition phase of falling asleep. When you lay down, think of a random word. Spell it out in your mind. Take the first letter of the word, think of words that start with that letter, and visualize them for a few seconds each before moving on to the next word. When you run out of words for the first letter, move on to the second letter, and so on. The words you pick should ideally not be related. For example, if you think "apple" and then "avocado", they're too close to each other conceptually. You want your brain to focus on different things.

This can be a tough one, because you're actively working your brain instead of letting go for sleep. It may not work out for you, but it's worth a try even if all it does is replace anxious thoughts with neutral ones.

There are other interventions you may want to look into, like breathing exercises, mindfulness/meditation, and cognitive defusion. I didn't find these worked very well for me, but others have had great success with them.

On a personal note, sleep restriction is working even better than I expected. I was able to jump from 5.5h to 6h last night with no loss of sleep efficiency (slept 5h47m), and this morning I feel loving fantastic.

edit: as with all non-professional medical advice, you might want to talk with your health care provider before implementing this stuff. The DWT in particular may be contraindicated by your current condition.

Tinestram has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Aug 24, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Looking at my dental appliance made me realize I need to take a break from all the various doomsday threads on here (i.e. climate change, capitalism.png, etc. - these really serve no purpose except to make me feel worse).

I wear this on my bottom teeth at night. All those marks are areas of clenching and grinding, and I've only been wearing it for about a month. There's no way to actually prove this is stress related, but stress is a major factor and it seems like a reasonable explanation.

I'm going to try to up my citalopram to 40 mg also. The world is just so mentally exhausting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Impermanent posted:

big good break through today for me - had peopple over for most fo the day doing fun poo poo and in th emiddle of it thought some dumb thing about limate change - like, seriously dumb, like i just had an intrusive thought about how one small aspect of what we were doing would be changed because of climate change - and for the rest of the 5 or so hours we were all together i kept coming back to it and it completely tainted my whole perception of the hangout from that point on.

And I realized. I am not depressed because im avoiding hanging out with people or doing things i like. I'm avoiding hanging out with people or doing things I like BECAUSE I'M DEPRESSED.

And that's a little simplistic, maybe, but it fundamentally reoriented my perspective on it. I have been succumbinb to the (common) thought that obviously, nothing I do has a cause - I am the prime mover in my life. If I hvae depression, its because I am doing something that's causing it to me. But maybe it works the other way around. And I do things because of other things impact on me. It's a stupid realization to have but goddamn.

its not stupid! reframing is like taking a step back out of reality and seeing behind the scenes somehow. its the exact goal (one of them, anyway) of therapy and is the start of healing.

:hellyeah:

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

the weekends are so empty that they make me wish I could work during them just so I don't have to be lonely :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

same. at times.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Is there anything I can do on my one for DBT? I want to improve my mood, I feel too angry all the time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi thread. I have an eating disorder lmfao

It'd been creeping up on me so quietly I hadn't noticed, especially since I'm actually still above my ideal weight for my height with a bad BMI. I didn't realize what was going on until my body started making GBS threads itself last week and my doctor pointed out, hey, maybe you need to actually get calories. It turns out you can't actually lose weight unless you actually eat (heathily) otherwise your metabolism just goes "lol nope" and the only thing that happens is you feel like poo poo

So, yes. I'm finally owning up to this and the fact the reason I want to lose weight is so people find me attractive, not so I feel and look my best for me. It's a work in progress and I still get really sad about eating a bunch more times during the day, but hopefully I'll start feeling better now.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

SunAndSpring posted:

Is there anything I can do on my one for DBT? I want to improve my mood, I feel too angry all the time.

Try looking up "paired progressive muscle relaxation." It helped a lot when I was super angry for no reason earlier in the week. Not sure if it works that way for everyone though.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi thread. I have an eating disorder lmfao

It'd been creeping up on me so quietly I hadn't noticed, especially since I'm actually still above my ideal weight for my height with a bad BMI. I didn't realize what was going on until my body started making GBS threads itself last week and my doctor pointed out, hey, maybe you need to actually get calories. It turns out you can't actually lose weight unless you actually eat (heathily) otherwise your metabolism just goes "lol nope" and the only thing that happens is you feel like poo poo

So, yes. I'm finally owning up to this and the fact the reason I want to lose weight is so people find me attractive, not so I feel and look my best for me. It's a work in progress and I still get really sad about eating a bunch more times during the day, but hopefully I'll start feeling better now.

recognizing things as they are is difficult, vital, and exhausting

i recently had the same epiphany abt having ocd and being in deep denial abt it and ever since then i cant stop thinking abt how i have ocd (which lol i know) and how it affects my life and well ive been spending a lot of time in bed bc life is loving hard

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i find myself putting in effort to not effort post and look even-keeled and this is also a problem i have in social interactions

like i simply care too much and like to hear myself talk and expound on things and ask questions so i'm never ever chill and i can't loosen up

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Aug 30, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
ya thats depression

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Designated Worry Time

Ah yes, you mean "time spent reading the somethingawful.com forums"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Ah yes, you mean "time spent reading the somethingawful.com forums"

today in the succ thread I had to argue with a mod of all people that banning religion was an incredibly poor idea

like they couldnt connect the dots between organized religion is our enemy and so what happened with that during hitlers reign anyway

the Internet is bad for you, please keep checking in but I recommend turning off your phone one day this week and doing something nice for yourself

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I have the opposite problem, don't care about anyone or anything enough, besides making enough money to not be homeless. I'm a kind person but everything feels so meaningless. I'd assume depression but I've always been this way.

that's depression. that's what i have, which is depression. that's depression. you have depression. Some people feel likes it comes and goes - sometimes that's because their depression comes and goes (still depression) sometimes that's because they get better and/or worse at handling it depending on where they are in life (also depression.) If you've always been that way, its because you've probably developed a lot of ways of managing your depression. That's good! But please don't do what I did and finesse your way through life with depression because you wound up also being decent at handling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I have the opposite problem, don't care about anyone or anything enough

Impermanent posted:

that's depression. that's what i have, which is depression.

Not to be an rear end, but this is actually wrong. That's anhedonia. It's a symptom, not a disorder. It is most often a symptom of what we think of as "depression"/major depressive disorder, but can also be a symptom of a lot of other things including substance (ab)use side-effects, psychotic disorders, certain parts of mood disorders like bipolar, and personality disorders, particularly borderline, but it can also just be a symptom and not necessarily an indicator of any of those things. For example, most people feel a level of anhedonia when they are grieving, but bereavement is a normal and natural process. It can also be normal if you just have a lovely life that's not very good and there is nothing to enjoy/care about, or specifically you're in a social milieu where that message is reinforced constantly regardless of whether it's actually true, ie late stage capitalism: if everything in society is telling you that your existence is a miserable one, chances are you are going to be miserable unless you are unusually independent and optimistic, even if by world historical standards you actually have it astonishingly good, ie, no one is ever convinced by "eat your vegetables and be grateful, children are starving in Africa" and poo poo like that.

Basically, anhedonia could mean a lot of different things, and just going into seeking treatment with the idea that like "it's depression, I guess" could wind up severely loving a person up if it turns out that they have a mood disorder instead, and their overworked prescriber takes that on face value and gives them an anti-depressant that makes them feel better but then they get pushed over into mania and wind up killing themselves or doing poo poo to get themselves institutionalized, where the shrinks are even more overworked and what gets prescribed is often more about the needs of the institution than that of the patient. Or you put someone with borderline through that ringer and it makes them even more treatment resistant because of trust issues when what they really need is a mix of DBT and TFP.

HELLO LADIES has issued a correction as of 06:55 on Aug 27, 2019