Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I've been addicted to black bean Lao Gan Ma for years, but I could never find their chili crisp so I'd buy copycats like Master Sauce which were ok. I finally got some of the real deal as the stock clerk was unpacking a box of it (it must sell fast) and it's so much better, I don't think any other brand had much shallot. It's the toasted onion flavor that makes it. Just had some on a cold leftover baked potato so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lao Gan Ma is good on everything.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I threw some angry lady sauce in my carne asada marinade and it rocks.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I tried it on my tuna sandwich at work the other day and it wasn't good

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
Any of you guys have good ideas for using leek flower sauce? Information on the internet is exceedingly scarce.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

coolanimedad posted:

Any of you guys have good ideas for using leek flower sauce? Information on the internet is exceedingly scarce.

I haven't had it in a long time but I think it was used as a condiment for hot pot, so obviously dipping sauces. I remember it being sort of a combo of dark, kinda green, garlic and umami so you could probably throw a little into stir fries or even roasts as a substitute for garlic and maybe even subbing out like a worcestershire or fish sauce for it.

Alternatively maybe add it to marinades or BBQ sauces, or use it combined with like a sweeter sauce (hoisin, maybe even oyster) to throw on steamed veggies, or dilute the poo poo out of it and use it in a salad dressing.

Now that I think about it, it might be a good add for homemade curries or even like... a sort of pesto with cilantro and cashews maybe?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Grand Fromage posted:

What? There are a couple real ones here. Only difference is it costs six times as much. One of my friends from Sichuan has an uncle who runs a legit place in Louisville, which I wish were closer.

I've had better Sichuan food in Ohio than in any part of China outside Sichuan.

E: And literally every Chinese person I've talked to here in SW Ohio is from Chengdu, weirdly.

Super late but wanted to slightly corroborate this. I’m in central Ohio and it’s true: we have surprisingly good Sichuan food and a decent sized community of people from the province here for one reason or another. No one ever believes this until they come here.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Went to a restaurant that had this noodle soup with what I'd describe as marinated ground pork and a vinegar based broth. Any ideas what that might be called so I can google? The menu was in Mandarin.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ranter posted:

Went to a restaurant that had this noodle soup with what I'd describe as marinated ground pork and a vinegar based broth. Any ideas what that might be called so I can google? The menu was in Mandarin.

肉沫酸汤面 ?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I have no idea really but I just pretty literally translated your description into chinese and searched baidu and got a hit

https://m.douguo./recipe/mip/1721330

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
sorry mate no idea I don't know Mandarin and that link is broken. I copy/pasted that text you provided into google but none of those dishes looked as simple as this one BUT my girlfriend took a picture from the menu!

edit: I added .com and yeah this recipe https://m.douguo.com/recipe/mip/1721330 does look kinda similar. Seems really simple too. I'm gonna make it with some of that aged earthy vinegar from the asian supermarket. thank you

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 2, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Mandarin isn't a written language. The written language is just Chinese. Mandarin is a spoken dialect of Chinese.

Anyway, that says "xi guan chen cu mian" So uhh, mature vinegar noodles from Xiguan (in Guangzhou)

hth

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
thank you very much for correcting my mistake and sharing the info. I ended up buying shanxi (nowhere near there) 5 year aged vinegar and will try mixing that with some ground pork, chicken broth, green onion and noodles. It was just a delicious surprise getting a vinegary noodle soup with soft ground pork and my girlfriend was stoked so I want to try and recreate.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Few days ago I found myself eating at a Panda Express. They had something called Sichuan Hot Chicken, and it really wasn't half bad.

It actually tasted sichuan-y

Hauki
May 11, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Few days ago I found myself eating at a Panda Express. They had something called Sichuan Hot Chicken, and it really wasn't half bad.

i don't believe you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hakimashou posted:

Ah, they do have Panda Express in southwestern Ohio

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's that Japanese coffee brand that comes in a blue can?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Arglebargle III posted:

What's that Japanese coffee brand that comes in a blue can?

Are you thinking of Mr. Browns? They have a blue can variety.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Brown-Iced-Coffee-Mountain-Blend/dp/B00K3JI1AE#immersive-view_1565580990711

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Boss? There's actually roughly a billion varieties in different colour cans, but the machines are usually blue with the logo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Holy hell i went to a new real chinese restaurant today and they made tu dou si, with like the little bit of vingear with it, and the wok flavor, and holy gently caress it was sublime, i haven't had food like that in almost 10 years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shaokao is good.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Shaokao is good.

:eyepop:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hakimashou posted:

Holy hell i went to a new real chinese restaurant today and they made tu dou si, with like the little bit of vingear with it, and the wok flavor, and holy gently caress it was sublime, i haven't had food like that in almost 10 years.

was it authentically undercooked?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Could anyone clear up which pepper is the facing heaven chili? Google image searches returns the fatter red chili pointing upwards, but on That Mala Market shop they're calling the fatter ones the lantern chili and the skinnier ones that look like arbols are called the facing heaven chili.

Most of my peppers haven't even ripened yet but I'm already planning my garden for next year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mala Market shop is correct.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Huh. It looks like GIS results are about 50/50 correct. Maybe I'll grow both.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

Maybe I'll grow both.

This is the correct answer. Grow all the peppers.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Magna Kaser posted:

was it authentically undercooked?

Ya it was perfect

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I could never get down with the crunchy potatoes.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
Any great vegan Chinese celery ideas?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

A simple stir fry like this could be easily made vegan

https://www.xiachufang.com/recipe/103748538/?group=share_title_a

That’s basically just potatoes and celery and dried chiles

Another variation on this idea that looks a little spicier: https://www.xiachufang.com/recipe/103893544/?group=share_title_a

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 22, 2019

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2019-08-15/mapo-tofu-avocado-sichuan-chinese-recipe-chef-yu-bo

this has piqued my curiosity and I'm going to make this and let ya'll know how it turns out. i ate at yu's kitchen like 7~8 years ago and don't remember this specific version of mapo tofu there, but the meal was pretty good.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I was planning on making some mapo tofu on Sunday. Let me know how that turns out.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't think I'd like avocado in mapo tofu as it and silken tofu are pretty similar textures, but I'm not huge on avocado anyway so what do I know

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

angerbeet posted:

I don't think I'd like avocado in mapo tofu as it and silken tofu are pretty similar textures, but I'm not huge on avocado anyway so what do I know

I think they have p different textures myself.

the idea according to the author of that article is to replace pig's brain, which you get in high-end places' mapo tofu, for the same texture.

that aside, this was a good mapo and you could probably just skip the avocado if you wanted. I'm not sure it added a ton but I did enjoy it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Yeah. If I make it again, I may double the avocado amount. Couldn't really tell it was there.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
wontons with lao gan ma and shanxi vinegar

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nice. I'd let you dump in my mouth.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

would dump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

That's lovely!

What filling did you use?