Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tarnop posted:

I went to see Withnail and I at Uncle Monty's cottage a few months ago. Had a little cry at Withnail's Hamlet. I was on a particularly emotional combo of boozes at the time, but it usually gets me.

"on a particularly emotional combo of boozes" sounds like exactly the right way to watch Withnail and I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Y'all should go to the Globe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmR74FSfZjg

500 standing tickets every performance for £5, seats for not much more if you can't stand

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cool and good

https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/1165156416442777600?s=20

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The Hollow Crown BBC series of films really turned me around on Shakespeare. There were two bits that really stood out to me from that, first in Richard II where Ricky is giving this big elabourate overwrought rant about how terrible it is to be him, which to my mind was like, typical Shakespeare, y'know? But then everyone else in the scene is giving each other "what the gently caress" glances and Henry just coldly responds through gritted teeth something along the lines of "ffs you promised not to make a scene", and I realised my eye-rolling reaction was exactly what was intended, which was really cool.

The other bit that stood out was the bit in Henry IV (can't remember which part) where Hal puts a table up on a chair in the pub and sits in it to impersonate his dad, which leads to Tom Hiddleton doing a perfect caricature of Jeremy Irons, which was just hilarious. Of course, this caused me to laugh at a Shakespeare play, which I think means I teach English now.

In any case, would recommend The Hollow Crown and its follow up The Wars of the Roses to anyone interested.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I know poo poo all about theatre, but I really hate it when people go all overblown and melodramatic with Shakespeare. As a complete novice you can go and see any performance of his stuff, and you can instantly feel how much better it all sounds when delivered casually and nonchalantly. Yeah, it can be complicated words, but it's not complicated to the characters, it should just drop off the tongue. Which actually improves the complication!

You know more poo poo about theatre than you think. Hamlet/Shakespeare totes agrees with you:

Hamlet Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

Enter HAMLET and PLAYERS

HAMLET

Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue. But if you mouth it, as many of your players do, I had as lief the town crier spoke my lines. Nor do not saw the air too much with your hand thus, but use all gently, for in the very torrent, tempest, and (as I may say) whirlwind of passion, you must acquire and beget a temperance that may give it smoothness. Oh, it offends me to the soul to hear a robustious periwig-pated fellow tear a passion to tatters, to very rags, to split the ears of the groundlings, who for the most part are capable of nothing but inexplicable dumb-shows and noise. I would have such a fellow whipped for o'erdoing Termagant. It out-Herods Herod. Pray you, avoid it.

First Player

I warrant your honour.

HAMLET

Be not too tame neither, but let your own discretion
be your tutor: suit the action to the word, the
word to the action; with this special o'erstep not
the modesty of nature: for any thing so overdone is
from the purpose of playing, whose end, both at the
first and now, was and is, to hold, as 'twere, the
mirror up to nature; to show virtue her own feature,
scorn her own image, and the very age and body of
the time his form and pressure. Now this overdone,
or come tardy off, though it make the unskilful
laugh, cannot but make the judicious grieve; the
censure of the which one must in your allowance
o'erweigh a whole theatre of others.

Niric fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 24, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not only did I not know that netflix were making a dark crystal series but its even getting rave reviews

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndrewBooton/status/1164991422191276032

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I see the papers are giving Boris Johnson all the credit for new Brazilian action against forest fires, and also for planning to tell Trump the NHS isn't for sale. Is there any goodness in this world that isn't his doing?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Marmaduke! posted:

I see the papers are giving Boris Johnson all the credit for new Brazilian action against forest fires, and also for planning to tell Trump the NHS isn't for sale. Is there any goodness in this world that isn't his doing?

I believe he was also 'helping out' in Cornwall yesterday.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

The Mel Gibson one
Claudius: Tis I, the evil King of England, here to invade Denmark and Danish Mercia for reasons unknown.

Hamlet: I'll stop you Claudius, and the Jews that hath sponsored you. Theatre used to be a voice for the common man before the Jews ruined it with their Jew ways and Jew money, and we need to, need to take that back.

Rosencrantz: Sir, this is a MacDuff's drive thru.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh you wouldn't like yorkshire then :v:

Thee/thou/thy is actually weird in that grammatically it's more precise than the you/your which replaced it. There are occasions where you might want to use it because modern english doesn't let you be that precise.

Also why "y'alls" should be a part of standard english because there is presently no actual standard equivalent.
:yeah:

Also 'you is' should be correct if we're using you as singular now, and they is if we're using they as a gender neutral singular.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Paul.Power posted:

I will always love Macbeth, mostly because of the Humphrey Carpenter version in Shakespeare Without The Boring Bits where he turns him into a hard-boiled private eye.
Do not watch the Justin Kurzel version. It made me genuinely sad for Michael Fassbender because he can be a really good actor given half a chance, but most of the dialogue is cut in favour of grim stares and long artsy cinematography wanking. It makes absolutely no sense unless you already know the entirety of the story beforehand.

Niric posted:

You know more poo poo about theatre than you think. Hamlet/Shakespeare totes agrees with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Jvh2EDSmc

This is what I meant about the Tennant version being great at using props and tone of voice to clarify the overview of what's happening.

You have to take into account that Hamlet is still supposed to be a bit manic and offputting because he's keeping up the pretence of madness for the players, but even if you don't understand everything he is saying, you get that he is talking to actors, telling them how to act, even taking an aside to point out to a good actor 'No not you, you use your judgement.'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 24, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

just two pages late on that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Oh and I got my money back from the hotel thing, a quick call and a polite email ended up doing the trick after all. I could see how it could have been very annoying if they decided to be pricks about it though, but thankfully they were very nice on the phone.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
I love a meal that represents the rainbow of colours from beige, buff, Manila, ecru all the way to sepia. A feast for the eyes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

Not only did I not know that netflix were making a dark crystal series but its even getting rave reviews

Funnily enough i watched that film for the first time last week, never saw it as a kid

That puppetry was drat impressive

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

Y'all should go to the Globe
That's not a bad idea for the weekend.

lmao

HauntedRobot posted:

I love a meal that represents the rainbow of colours from beige, buff, Manila, ecru all the way to sepia. A feast for the eyes
It looks like the 70s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Reveilled posted:

The other bit that stood out was the bit in Henry IV (can't remember which part) where Hal puts a table up on a chair in the pub and sits in it to impersonate his dad, which leads to Tom Hiddleton doing a perfect caricature of Jeremy Irons, which was just hilarious. Of course, this caused me to laugh at a Shakespeare play, which I think means I teach English now.

That is some pretty innovative staging tbf

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Funnily enough i watched that film for the first time last week, never saw it as a kid

That puppetry was drat impressive

they're using puppets again wtih lots of CGI around them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_owZfYVR8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Hezbolsonaro/status/1165139474029826049?s=20

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Actually, the British Empire invading was good

https://twitter.com/thisislaurat/status/1164909500735860736

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol the first crime has been done in space https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/us/nasa-astronaut-anne-mcclain.html#click=https://t.co/YzlZE1JwcB

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

poo poo, even Tweetman is dunking on this tweet, that's how bad it is.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

"Ethical cleansing is good, and heres why..."
- Twitter user, 2019.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Nah, Buzz, Amrstrong and the other one were performing a train on the lunar approach a few years before it was decriminalised.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ratjaculation posted:

Nah, Buzz, Amrstrong and the other one were performing a train on the lunar approach a few years before it was decriminalised.

A what now?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Thats the work of our boy Alfonso Cuarón, who also directed the documentary Children of Men

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you asked me to guess what the first space crime would be, I wouldn't have said identity theft

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
You know, I feel an actor cannot truly call himself an actor until he's performed at the Globe.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ratjaculation posted:

"Ethical cleansing is good, and heres why..."
- Twitter user, 2019.

Ethical cleansing sounds pretty good tbh

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it's about ethnics in video games journalism

wait, hold on

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Ethical cleansing sounds pretty good tbh

lol oops

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
V2 didn't count?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the only ethical cleansing is of white people

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Jose posted:

the only ethical cleansing is of white people

and washing your hands before making people food

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Qwertycoatl posted:

If you asked me to guess what the first space crime would be, I wouldn't have said identity theft
You mean (digital) body snatching.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

When my grandmother was alive I found her hard to talk to because she was obsessed with me, largely because she was obsessed with my father as well before he died, but I still occasionally wish I could tell her about things, or ask her thoughts on something.

That's sort of how life works, people are hard to talk to, there's always something that gets in the way, then when they die nothing is in the way any more but they aren't there either.

Your university should have some measures in place for extenuating circumstances re: your studies, though whether they are harsher at PhD level I don't know. Either way it might be worth speaking with your academic advisor or equivalent to consider at least a break, perhaps, if you think it would help you put your head straight.

Yeah, been talking to my supervisor about taking a break. He's really understanding, which is a blessing.

Niric posted:

This is wonderful. Dude must have been salty about people loving up his stuff.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/andysearson/status/1165091062513205248?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

V2 didn't count?

Sounds like one of those law school final exam questions - "An object is launched from one country, reaches apogee in space and over international waters, and lands in a second country. In which jurisdiction is the crime?"

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

V2 didn't count?

Vicky 2 is a perfectly good game and I won't hear a word said against it :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"