Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm borrowing a Rift S for a week.
Blade and Sorcery is really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is there a way to change where your sidearm is holstered in Onward? I'd rather have it match my drop leg holster for better muscle memory than at my waist.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there a way to change where your sidearm is holstered in Onward? I'd rather have it match my drop leg holster for better muscle memory than at my waist.

Should be able to change between chest and leg in settings

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not getting rattled by jump scares is one thing, but screaming in VR rollercoasters or on a virtual plank over the ledge of a high rise, I still don't see it. If the lack of sufficient photorealism or resolution isn't giving it away, there's still the bulky headset thing.

reminds me of my brother imploring he isn't phased by horror movies because he knows they're actors. I pitied him :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that a lack of empathy thing? :iiam:

Say what you want about the movie itself but seeing the ring in a theatre of people who were into it was one of the best movie experiences I’ve ever had

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Idk about lack of empathy, just lack of ability to suspend disbelief

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm really liking H3VR and the controls are so satisfying after a while. I've been playing around with the Blade Runner blaster since it's so over the top but man, it's almost impossible to grab the bolt and pull it back with the Touch controllers because I find the two giant rings getting in the way. It's doable but it really makes me hope for a near future where we don't even have controllers you hold but rather just full on, super accurate gloves to track movement.

Also, H3VR really makes the resolution of the Rift S stand out like a sore thumb, I mean, it's basically the default resolution for devices right now but it's still just not enough. Aiming down the sights at a distant target is almost impossible because things are just a small cluster of blurry-rear end pixels. Maybe it's also so obvious because I just got LASIK done and individual pixels are just so much more noticeable since I don't have to cram glasses into my headset.

For Goons that have used the HP Reverb, how much better is it than the Rift S? I want to try it out because I'll deal with the infinitely worse controllers for the visual clarity. I just want to make sure that it's insanely better before I buy one and then have to deal with returns and poo poo.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The HP is supposed to be good? The Rift S is phenomenal compared to the Gen 1 headsets, only the Index is likely to beat it at any price.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Infinite Karma posted:

The HP is supposed to be good? The Rift S is phenomenal compared to the Gen 1 headsets, only the Index is likely to beat it at any price.

Lots of QC issues with the reverb, no IPD adjustments, subpar lenses, worst controllers in the industry. Narrow FOV (Rift level)
Not really worth it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Resolution is an important factor for VR but I would argue it's not even close to being the most important. It's generally more of a problem the less interesting the thing you're doing is, outside of a few edge cases (sims/sniping things from far away), because you notice the hardware more the less engaging the software is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm pretty happy with my second hand OG rift for the nonce but next spring bonus time I'll probably shell out for even more pixels near my eyes, and a video card to push them even faster. I'm debating doing something stupid and just getting a second rig set up to do local multiplayer and giving guests the old Rift like how the Omega Friend used to get the Mad Catz controller for smash.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It’s just pretty Tetris. Either you’re really into it or you’re not.

Pretty much. Its just Tetris, But its really well done tetris, with awesome music and in VR is just soooooo chill. Worth every penny.

IF you're just "Meh" on tetris in general though? Its still awesome but you wont be blown away I'm guessing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Wait, THIRTY TWO POUNDS for Tetris with some visual effects?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's right, 32 pounds for the latest version of the greatest video game in human history, good deal

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gort posted:

Worth every schilling.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gort posted:

They should Free-to-play demo the first journey level or two because yes, this description is technically correct, but no, it doesn't accurately describe the experience and it's hard to articulate exactly why in a way that doesn't sound like you're trying to describe the beauty of a sunrise to commander spock from star trek.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
NMS performance stuff in the experimental branch

quote:

-Introduced a number of PC-specific VR optimisations (not yet available for Oculus).
-Reduced graphics memory usage to improve stability.

Maybe they got round to the nose culling thing?

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 24, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

rage-saq posted:

Lots of QC issues with the reverb, no IPD adjustments, subpar lenses, worst controllers in the industry. Narrow FOV (Rift level)
Not really worth it.

What about the visual clarity though? But jesus christ, no IPD adjustment? Why even bother releasing it...

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Owlbear Camus posted:

They should Free-to-play demo the first journey level or two because yes, this description is technically correct, but no, it doesn't accurately describe the experience and it's hard to articulate exactly why in a way that doesn't sound like you're trying to describe the beauty of a sunrise to commander spock from star trek.

There are precious few things I'd classify in my life as a Religious Experience, that first playthrough of Tetris Effect in VR might qualify. The beats of the music react to what you do, but you in turn start to react to the beat of the music at the same time. In VR it's all encompassing as it speeds up and the beat and tension rise, the blocks getting higher then the beat falls and it moves to another stage, a brief respite then it starts all over again. The first playthrough I did was in VR and 4 hours just vanished. The whole game is designed to get you into 'Flow' while playing.

If the trailer doesn't move you at all, then perhaps you'll find no value in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8fVT_Ds4Q

In a related topic:

Is there any reason to NOT get an Index at this point if you can stomach the cost? I haven't heard of any major hardware or software issues that might warrant holding off on one. I want to upgrade from my HP WMR set, and due to how I have my VR setup any system that uses stationary cameras is entirely impractical. I can swing plugging in a few lighthouses though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

PirateDentist posted:

Is there any reason to NOT get an Index at this point if you can stomach the cost? I haven't heard of any major hardware or software issues that might warrant holding off on one. I want to upgrade from my HP WMR set, and due to how I have my VR setup any system that uses stationary cameras is entirely impractical. I can swing plugging in a few lighthouses though.

I won't repeat the whole bit for the dozenth time, but the headset itself and the tracking are superb. The controllers IMO are generally a downgrade from the Touch except for the "that's neat" factor.

Curiosity, what do you mean by being unable to use stationary cameras? While technically not cameras, the Lighthouse system is basically the same as Oculus cameras in that you mount some things that are not supposed to move from wherever you put them, with the biggest practical difference being that they don't have to plug into your computer.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

PirateDentist posted:

In a related topic:

Have.. have you not heard of the Index Controller issues? A significant amount of people were having issues with the thumbsticks not registering clicks. Some complain that they didn't have that audible and feel of the click when pressed.

I got my Index on the second wave (still pretty early), I would say my controllers are 95% fine. My left controller thumbstick is a bit mushy when pushing up and clicking. Not a huge deal because there's rarely a reason to push forward and click at the same time. I'd advise checking the ValveIndex subreddit to see how people feel the newest deliveries are.

Another minor issue is that for some (including me) the base stations making a very faint whining noise. I can barely hear it when my room is silent, but if I play anything with sound, it's a non issue. Also I read that the noise can be mitigated by setting an option to turn off stations when turning off the Index.

Overall I love the Index, but it is my first VR experience, so maybe I'm a little more impressionable than others who have another VR set to compare with.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PirateDentist posted:

If you don't need a VR headset RIGHT NOW, then I'd wait a bit. The Index controllers have an issue with the joysticks where they sometimes don't click when at the edges of their rotation range. It doesn't affect all of them, and the problem isn't the same on all controller affected by it. So maybe wait to see if Valve privately admits it is a problem and quietly changes manufacturing to address it. No way will they ever publicly admit it is a problem, because that would mean replacing everyone's controllers. But they might fix it in the background and people might get enough data from later buyers to figure out if it has been fixed. If you don't think that will bother you (it's just a sound and feel thing, if the controllers don't actually register a click, valve will RMA your controllers), the Index is the best overall VR thing you can get right now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

If you don't need a VR headset RIGHT NOW, then I'd wait a bit. The Index controllers have an issue with the joysticks where they sometimes don't click when at the edges of their rotation range. It doesn't affect all of them, and the problem isn't the same on all controller affected by it. So maybe wait to see if Valve privately admits it is a problem and quietly changes manufacturing to address it. No way will they ever publicly admit it is a problem, because that would mean replacing everyone's controllers. But they might fix it in the background and people might get enough data from later buyers to figure out if it has been fixed. If you don't think that will bother you (it's just a sound and feel thing, if the controllers don't actually register a click, valve will RMA your controllers), the Index is the best overall VR thing you can get right now.

PCVR*. I firmly believe that the Quest has enough other benefits of portability, wirelessness, ease of use, etc, that depending on your priorities you might enjoy it a lot more than the Index, even completely disregarding the cost disparity.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Shine posted:

with the biggest practical difference being that they don't have to plug into your computer.

That being the one, since I'd have to run about 40 to 60 feet of USB extenders around a corner and snaking out into a room to the only big open space I can have, and get a USB expansion card. My VR area is not in front of my computer.

ijii posted:

Have.. have you not heard of the Index Controller issues? A significant amount of people were having issues with the thumbsticks not registering clicks. Some complain that they didn't have that audible and feel of the click when pressed.

I heard a bit when they came out, but then not a lot. I guess looking at the reddit currently it's a total crapshoot as to if it's happening or not.

Cojawfee posted:

Errrgn. I didn't want to wait now that I freed up a bigger VR space, maybe I'll try to hold out until the Fall sale. Get some bonus Fallpoints for dropping a grand during the sale.

Thanks for the responses all.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

PirateDentist posted:

I might have talked myself into an Index kit already except for being stuck in a GPU no-man's land with my GTX 1080, where the only truly worthwhile upgrade (2080 Ti) is too expensive for my taste.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I picked up Tetris Effect tonight and yeah it kicks serious rear end if you like Tetris. I'm not sure about religious experience but it's very fun and I've already gone through on beginner once and I'm starting on normal mode now.

The price is steep though and the more I think about it I'd feel better if it were like 25 or 30 bux instead of 40 but what can ya do.

Watch it'll probably go on sale now that I bought it. :v:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I just noticed that my index controller thumb stick doesn't seem to be able to go in the down direction at all - like something is physically blocking it from doing that. I haven't played any game that really uses the thumb stick yet.

Is this a known thing?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

PirateDentist posted:

Is there any reason to NOT get an Index at this point if you can stomach the cost? I haven't heard of any major hardware or software issues that might warrant holding off on one.

Cojawfee posted:

If you don't need a VR headset RIGHT NOW, then I'd wait a bit. The Index controllers have an issue with the joysticks where they sometimes don't click when at the edges of their rotation range.
Ehh, I dunno. I have yet to play a game where I actually need to click the joystick while pointing it somewhere. To me that would feel like bad game design regardless of the Index controller issues, as I think joysticks are best used for providing semi-precise input and the force required to click it makes any notion of precision go to hell anyway. If a game uses it as a crutch because it is so complex it needs to emulate having more buttons then I guess it could be a problem, but considering most games are also designed to work with the Vive wands that don't have a joystick at all I doubt that is an issue in practice. That said, I haven't even started using Revive yet, so maybe Oculus games use that kind of input more? No idea.

From my current experience I would've kicked myself not getting an Index just because of this. And I doubt waiting is really going to improve much if anything.

FBS posted:

I might have talked myself into an Index kit already except for being stuck in a GPU no-man's land with my GTX 1080, where the only truly worthwhile upgrade (2080 Ti) is too expensive for my taste.
I run my Index with a GTX 1070 on an i5-3570K (both slightly overclocked), and so far it runs most things fine. Sure, not with all the bells and whistles enabled and not on any kind of supersampling, but even with games that don't always (or never) hit 120 fps I have yet to notice any actual discomfort. The only thing I actually had to do was increase the resolution in SteamVR to 100% as it would default to 58%, which looked like rear end in some games.

A 1080 (which is about 30% faster than a 1070) is definitely not going to gimp your Index VR experience.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm giving up on trying to play NMS.
Even with the brand new PC upgrades of Ryzen 5 2600 and an RTX 2060 SUPER I cannot get anywhere near stable 90fps on lowest settings, no matter which performance workarounds I try to employ, and to make matters worse the game keeps constantly crashing as soon as I try to sit in a chair or look at the wrong thing or just try to exist.

NMS is probably the most technically inept VR game I've ever played and that's a tall loving bar considering that I completed Arizona Sunshine that had LOD range of like, half a meter, looked and ran like dogshit poo poo, and managed to crash my PC several times.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I'm giving up on trying to play NMS.
Even with the brand new PC upgrades of Ryzen 5 2600 and an RTX 2060 SUPER I cannot get anywhere near stable 90fps on lowest settings, no matter which performance workarounds I try to employ, and to make matters worse the game keeps constantly crashing as soon as I try to sit in a chair or look at the wrong thing or just try to exist.

NMS is probably the most technically inept VR game I've ever played and that's a tall loving bar considering that I completed Arizona Sunshine that had LOD range of like, half a meter, looked and ran like dogshit poo poo, and managed to crash my PC several times.

Don't give up just yet - hope may be on the horizon.

Pixelate posted:

NMS performance stuff in the experimental branch

quote:

-Introduced a number of PC-specific VR optimisations (not yet available for Oculus).
-Reduced graphics memory usage to improve stability.

Maybe they got round to the nose culling thing?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

sigher posted:

What about the visual clarity though? But jesus christ, no IPD adjustment? Why even bother releasing it...

The visual clarity on the Reverb is insane. Elite Dangerous feels as crisp as playing on a 1080p monitor.
It has a software IPD adjustment. The standard is for 64, I'm 59. It works great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ShadowHawk posted:

I just noticed that my index controller thumb stick doesn't seem to be able to go in the down direction at all - like something is physically blocking it from doing that. I haven't played any game that really uses the thumb stick yet.

Is this a known thing?

It should have the full range of movement, I'd contact valve.

SirViver posted:

Ehh, I dunno. I have yet to play a game where I actually need to click the joystick while pointing it somewhere. To me that would feel like bad game design regardless of the Index controller issues, as I think joysticks are best used for providing semi-precise input and the force required to click it makes any notion of precision go to hell anyway. If a game uses it as a crutch because it is so complex it needs to emulate having more buttons then I guess it could be a problem, but considering most games are also designed to work with the Vive wands that don't have a joystick at all I doubt that is an issue in practice. That said, I haven't even started using Revive yet, so maybe Oculus games use that kind of input more? No idea.

From my current experience I would've kicked myself not getting an Index just because of this. And I doubt waiting is really going to improve much if anything.

I run my Index with a GTX 1070 on an i5-3570K (both slightly overclocked), and so far it runs most things fine. Sure, not with all the bells and whistles enabled and not on any kind of supersampling, but even with games that don't always (or never) hit 120 fps I have yet to notice any actual discomfort. The only thing I actually had to do was increase the resolution in SteamVR to 100% as it would default to 58%, which looked like rear end in some games.

A 1080 (which is about 30% faster than a 1070) is definitely not going to gimp your Index VR experience.

I guess some games map clicking the stick to sprinting. So if you are moving forward and need to sprint, not being able to click the stick would suck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

I guess some games map clicking the stick to sprinting. So if you are moving forward and need to sprint, not being able to click the stick would suck.

Don't the non-Vive control schemes in H3VR all consist of "angle the thumbstick and click in to reload/slide bolt/toggle safety"?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

You can for sure run an Index on that system.

I’m in the same boat (2600x and 1080ti) and the worthwhile upgrades if you don’t want to spend 2080ti dollars probably won’t come till the 3070 or 3080

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Man, the reccomended system specs seem a little off to me. I had an i5-7500 and a 1070 which should be well within recommended specs but after trying poker stars and being unable to go all in because tracking was too jittery, and Pavlov via steam vr feeling like I couldn’t aim I started digging in. I was averaging like 30 FPS on poker stars with lowest setting and performance headroom crashing every few seconds to negative hundreds of percent. GPU usage was only like 30%. Now that game seems really poorly optimized but even something like beat saber was only hitting about 60-70 FPS. Every game was cpu limited when I looked into it and the GPU was never really working hard. My CPU did measure under average against others with the same type (guessing that was the cheap micro atx motherboard?).

I’ve upgraded to an i5-9600kf - got a decent combo deal on newegg for a motherboard and the cpu with $40 savings, a hyper 212 evo and I’ll be able to sell the cpu for more than half what I paid for it 2.5 years ago, essentially netting the upgrade for about $200-230 taxes and all. And with a mild overclock everything is running perfectly! Constant frames of 80 never dipping below 75 even with some super sampling and such! This was with a chrome video pinned running Hulu even. And apparently I’ve gone from like the 57th percentile of cpu performance to 95th - the kf version was only $205 compared to like 350 for an i7 that’s only better by like 2%. Nice to be able to upgrade for a reasonable price and see such a huge improvement and now I’m excited to really see these games shine.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 24, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Make sure to check SteamVR settings in-game and ensure that supersampling isn't set too high by default.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1165115121619865601?s=20

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I can't throw things well in pretty much anything with a Rift S. Everything sorta drops uselessly to the ground.
Any tips?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

canyoneer posted:

I can't throw things well in pretty much anything with a Rift S. Everything sorta drops uselessly to the ground.
Any tips?

Underhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've been looking at Onward since it's on sale and I'm just curious if it plays anything like the the old Delta Force games where you basically just have to kill every enemy in a setting however you want.