Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Honestly I couldn't imagine working on a project like that, if you gently caress it up, your studio is hosed because it's going to hit more than just gaming news. Kerbal Space Program has an absolutely massive reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

all hail the glory of the bus

Barely a quarter of the way complete probably. I went and greatly expanded my coal power (up to 1.2GW) and acquired a near limitless source of Quartz that I'll hardly use while hunting for power slugs and crash sites. The only thing that is fully automated for manufactured goods as of right now are Steel Pipes, Steel Beams, and Encased Industrial Beams. Next up is Reinforced Iron Plates probably followed by Motors. But that comes after I go acquire a source of Oil and get it shipped back to my base. Probably going to get another 1.5GW of power from Oil whenever I unlock that powerplant and then dump the rest into byproduct goods like Plastic and Rubber. I had originally planned to bus the raw crude oil and refine it on-site, but I'm very quickly running out of real estate so I'll have to make a satellite facility dedicated to everything Oil and then belt the byproducts into the bus.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I just built a tractor station. Can't wait to have coal power. gently caress biofuel.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The coffee stain folks have been reading that pipes are getting closer and may be included in the next content update.

gently caress, that might push me over the edge for one last playthrough before release

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Coal power feels so good when you can just tear down all your biogas bullshit because your entire biogas grid is like the combined power of two coal plants.

The bastard of T5/T6 is when you realize that your factory doesn't have anything remotely close to the output necessary to progress to most of the techs, let alone going to T7, without a major major rework. Unlocking T7 for example requires a thousand heavy modular frames and computers in addition to other poo poo.

I had an idea this morning that will require me to tear down and rebuild my bus yet again, but fortunately probably 90% of the labor has been in getting the resources READY to go onto it, not the actual bus itself. It's going to be a fundamental change, because right now the stuff I do have automated isn't really able to be scaled past what I've built due to space restrictions. So the plan is going to be to flatten the bus out a bit (going back to 4x4 double row) and change how it's designed to look more like a circuit board bus; at each gate it will branch off to wherever it has space, rather than directly next door to the bus line, with the output products coming back to the bus via raised belts. It'll take me an hour to redesign the bus and then probably a half hour for each assembled product I think.

edit: I hopped back in the game to check something and ended up discovering a very nearby huge piece of flat land that is perfect for a new bus setup. It'll require a bit of reworking my supply lines (some shorter, some longer) since it's considerably higher elevation but I quickly planned out the floor. I can do 10x2 pretty easily, with 10 gates for 20 entry/exit points without issue. Perfection.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 22, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I decided to dick around with planes in KSP, and accidentally built an SSTO spaceplane :jeb:

6 Rapiers on the back end. It'll make an 80x80km orbit with ~200 delta V to spare, and can glide back down to land at KSC without ripping itself apart (not for lack of trying :v: ) I could probably lose the forward canards, I already have to set the maneuver settings to be sensitive at low altitude.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Good work! Now try putting a little satellite up with it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We started a new SA Kerbal Multiplayer server, its Vanilla right now, but we will be adding a modlist soon:

kraushaus.net:6702

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm finally moving forward in the tech tree, kind of, after dicking around with my latest bus revision. I've settled on a system that I'm happy with so now I'm just building facilities with enough open room to scale and rebuilding existing lines under this new system when they hit saturation, rather than just being trapped in an endless cycle of build/rebuild. I went out and got four pure oil nodes and built pumps on each of them, and built the infrastructure to covey them like 1.5km down to my main facility. Next up is unlocking fuel powerplants and building the actual refineries out there. I'm going to probably end up with 20 fuel powerplants for another 3GW of power, which should in theory be good for awhile.

When I can afford it, I'm planning on stripping out most of my long-distance conveyor routes and replacing it with trains. Maybe.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dont forget for this weekend

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mother fucker this was a lot of work to build. Just established 60/min Reinforced Iron Plate. Wasn't planning on having to build an entire mining and smelting facility for it, but it requires such an outrageous amount of iron that I basically had no choice unless I wanted to dedicate 90% of my T4 bus belt to it. I'll keep the bus iron ingots for other things that require wire.

I'm not done building the walls yet because I haven't determined what color scheme I want to use so I'm leaving most of it open.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gross you're on team orange

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

like i just discovered the paint gun and if i can't have my base some kind of hideous pink then i want a refund

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

EBB posted:

like i just discovered the paint gun and if i can't have my base some kind of hideous pink then i want a refund

same with mgsv fobs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Same but everything in gta online and weapon skins on gears 4.

Or purple tiger stripe.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Most likely my color scheme is going to be white with either gold, crimson, or navy blue highlights.

Just finished harddrive hunting, got four of them. Hopefully these fuckers have something good on them while I cook dinner.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

We started a new SA Kerbal Multiplayer server, its Vanilla right now, but we will be adding a modlist soon:

kraushaus.net:6702

Wait what there's multi-player Kerbal?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Wait what there's multi-player Kerbal?

For KSP2, it'll be native, but for KSP1, yes.

https://d-mp.org/

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

After some hours with Satisfactory I'm finding that it's more fun to design nice factory buildings that are pleasing to look at than rushing through the tech tree and doing more=better. Since this game is hard to scale without bots+blueprints, I think it will find a niche for where I want to Factorio a bit but in a more artistic, relaxed way. Factorio will still be my go-to for 1 RPM output builds.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah, the environment is a lot of fun to work with and presents all sorts of built-in challenges to discourage people from playing it just like Factorio. Once you get the Explorer dune buggy at T5 it's a blast to roll around the map looking for poo poo. I'll post pictures of my setup once I'm done for the night, but I'm having to get really creative on maximizing real estate for ~maximum scaleability~

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

tetris 99 is so good

i love the maximus cup events

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Does SA still not have a dedicated Satisfactory thread? I figured it would be a little while after it entered early access, but we're now a whole bunch of content patches and 6 months beyond that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Does SA still not have a dedicated Satisfactory thread? I figured it would be a little while after it entered early access, but we're now a whole bunch of content patches and 6 months beyond that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884092

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The concrete factory must expand to meet the ever-growing needs of the concrete factory.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

my techno cathedral will be a glorious affront to nature and physics, it will spit in the face of god

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The Satisfactory thread is really slow, and seems to be full of people telling each other they're playing the game wrong.

I spent pretty much all night looking for harddrives trying to unlock the alternate Stator recipe and was incredibly frustrated that after a dozen, I had not rolled it. Turns out I unlocked it probably last night but...forgot to research it. Well, at least I got +5 inventory space and some other good recipes.

I fully automated Rotors, Stators, and Motors now. Except my ratio is hosed up (9/min/machine to produce rotors/stators, 10/min/machine consumption to produce motors) so now I have to expand my building a little. But thankfully since I'm not building my stuff like a loving moron anymore, I can do that later pretty easily.

I'm also going to completely revamp my steel ingot line, it's my major bottleneck right now. Going to merge my coal + sulfur lines into a satellite facility and convert it to compacted coal while redesigning the entire building that it's crammed into. Then I can make 45/min/machine ingots with the coal and probably double my production.

I still haven't done anything with oil aside from build out a conveyor line, put down four pumps and a single refinery to make a token amount of plastic. I really should do that before expanding my production lines further because I'm going to run into power issues unless I throw down another 3GW worth of oil power.

EBB posted:

The concrete factory must expand to meet the ever-growing needs of the concrete factory.

Concrete is a motherfucker until at/around mid-coal level. Then you can just overclock the goddamn things and poo poo it all into a storage bin for later.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i call modular frames hypercubes and none of you can stop me

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It’s ok, I call the Reinforced Steel Beam ‘Land o’ Lakes’ because it looks like butter. I got a whole ton of stupid names for all the things.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hold the loving phone..."alternate recipes"? :stare:

I just loaded into the game for the first time since March and I'm basically a deer in the headlights. My brain is legit frozen in a state of trying to figure out what I had previously done, what I wanted to do before quitting, what I can do now, what I should do now, Jesus Christ.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh god your dumb game broke the german

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Lol.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

turn him off and on again

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jiggle the handle

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Jiggle the handle

Now we're talkin'

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hold the loving phone..."alternate recipes"? :stare:

I just loaded into the game for the first time since March and I'm basically a deer in the headlights. My brain is legit frozen in a state of trying to figure out what I had previously done, what I wanted to do before quitting, what I can do now, what I should do now, Jesus Christ.

close the game and never open it again.

just walk away.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Alternate recipes are great because usually in exchange for making the process faster and/or simpler, you change the rarity of the inputs. Thanks to the stuff I found last night, I can actually pull Steel Beams entirely off my bus and put them at a depot somewhere and they can be used for making mk3 belts and train things and that's it. Or like how I don't need Copper anymore at all (thanks to Iron Wire) except to make Alclad Aluminium Sheets - so why bus both the ingots and the sheets? When I get them unlocked, I'll just make the sheets and put those on the bus instead.

Some of them are really dumb though. But you get to pick one of three rewards when you analyze a harddrive.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

close the game and never open it again.

just walk away.

I did. I genuinely did.

I ran around a bunch to get my bearings on the setup I previously had, posted in this thread, and then I closed the game.

(and then I bookmarked the production / layout calculator for tomorrow)

:cripes:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just don't factorio it. I didn't bother with a bus. I have micro-factories in convenient locations. Trains will get unlocked...eventually. I'm doing this without a wiki or anything, just figuring it out.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The primary reason I'm bothering with a bus right now is because when it's finally done with, it'll look really cool. I've got plans for a central hallway with cutouts in the higher levels for the conveyor belts to move around in and all the little products zipping along looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i have no idea what you all are talking about so i'm picturing a yellow school bus driving around a factory.

i'm also not asking for clarification because i'm never going to play that game and it's funnier this way.