Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
NWSL expansion update:

https://twitter.com/JeffKassouf/status/1165013855111667713

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

That's a little closer to the bay area. You'd think they'd have a team here already.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

bushisms.txt posted:

That's a little closer to the bay area. You'd think they'd have a team here already.

Where? California?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yeah, SanFran Eastbay. We have the quakes and they have decent to great crowds, I'm sure the interest is there.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah, SanFran Eastbay. We have the quakes and they have decent to great crowds, I'm sure the interest is there.

There were rumors a couple years ago that Barca wanted an NWSL team and was eyeballing the bay area (also rumors that they could partner with LAFC on an NWSL team, or that they tried to buy Sky Blue but Phil Murphy said no, etc.).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Atlanta would seem like a good fit for a team. Big metro area, well supported MLS team, plenty of venues to play at. Would still really like to see a team come back to Boston at some point, but the last thing the league can afford is overexpansion.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

habeasdorkus posted:

Atlanta would seem like a good fit for a team. Big metro area, well supported MLS team, plenty of venues to play at. Would still really like to see a team come back to Boston at some point, but the last thing the league can afford is overexpansion.

If the team could land a stadium somewhere T accessible again I’d start going. I foolishly only went to one Breakers game when they were playing at Harvard. The open cup games there for the revs are awesome.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Good facilities are hard to come by, so having these teams partnered with MLS or USL makes it much more likely that they'll succeed (though clearly it's not everything - see Orlando). Seattle struggled through countless seasons at Memorial, whose only redeeming feature is the location in Seattle center (1970s high school football stadium - lots of turf and concrete).

Atlanta should be interesting. Wonder if they'd get O'Hara or Sonnet. Rose to Louisville would be a good draw too, since it's not far from Cincinnati.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gigi Galli posted:

If the team could land a stadium somewhere T accessible again I’d start going. I foolishly only went to one Breakers game when they were playing at Harvard. The open cup games there for the revs are awesome.

What happened with the revs moving to a new site in the inner belt / assembly row?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What happened with the revs moving to a new site in the inner belt / assembly row?

Honestly it was probably a made up rumor. Would’ve been nice but the area is totally developed now.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

Good facilities are hard to come by, so having these teams partnered with MLS or USL makes it much more likely that they'll succeed (though clearly it's not everything - see Orlando). Seattle struggled through countless seasons at Memorial, whose only redeeming feature is the location in Seattle center (1970s high school football stadium - lots of turf and concrete).

Atlanta should be interesting. Wonder if they'd get O'Hara or Sonnet. Rose to Louisville would be a good draw too, since it's not far from Cincinnati.

Expansion drafts could get interesting. The last one had the mega-trade that put Alex Morgan in Orlando. Wonder if she'd try to land in Sacramento to at least be on the west coast, or if she'll be content to wait for either an LA expansion (or her husband to get cut/traded).

highme
May 25, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

Sorry, I meant there should be a team in California. I don't care which major metropolitan area has it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Carli Lloyd is on fire tonight, two goals in a row for her!

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Nice (and much-needed) win for Washington last night in front of a big crowd. Bledsoe had a couple of great saves.

PS Marta is scary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

in AVFC women news that nobody cares about except me, they went down to London today against the Lionesses (which split out from Millwall this year), scored early, fell behind 2-1 just after half, and won 3-2 on two goals in three minutes. After two matches they're the only team with six points.

edit: they are not, durham also have six points. but they did not win back to back matches last season so this development is still both cool and good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 26, 2019

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MrogersFOX/status/1166154637411377153

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see how it plays out

quote:

The USA squad's current battle is to secure the same pay as their male counterparts. Although the row has been rumbling on for a long time, the World Cup brought it into greater focus. Football and finance remains an awkward and often controversial mix, which Skinner feels conflicted about.

"I'm not going to go into the equal pay row because I think that I'd still love to see the women do something the men haven't done, and that is to continue to love football not just for the money but for the love of the game. I think that's the purity of women's football, I really do," he adds.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

We've been yelling about corrupt FIFA's misogynistic practices and it turns out they're were thinking in the best interest of the game this whole time. Wc2030 to be in nuclear glassed Korea

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Well, that explains how Orlando has been so poor- they're coached by a simpleton that they can't respect.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

:killing:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Analog posted:

Nice (and much-needed) win for Washington last night in front of a big crowd. Bledsoe had a couple of great saves.

PS Marta is scary.

Big crowd is underselling it, over 19k. Hoping the next game at Audi stadium gets as big a crowd and that it's feasible for the Spirit to play there on a regular basis.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Qualifiers for the next euros in 2021 start tomorrow. Don’t think there’re any real top level encounters, but I’m not really familiar with most of the teams.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alright let's watch the USWNT shithouse Portugal.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And it takes all of four minutes for the US to score first.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

4-0 with two shots off the post. Typical USWNT home beating. 50,000 in attendance too.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

And then they play Portugal again in less than a week!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh gently caress, how did I miss Sinclair in an Iron Front + Pride shirt?! :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

https://twitter.com/NashCapo/status/1165691113966948352

e: Also, where can I get me one of them t-shirts?

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 31, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

https://www.redbubble.com/people/mm...20front%20pride

There's the shirt. It's available on a bunch of other different things too.

Fun fact: Sunday, the loudly out and proud mohawked capo for the Thorns and Timbers, wore that dress for a Thorns match a couple of weeks ago. She got a request from her season ticket rep for her to have a 1 on 2 meeting with Merritt and the director of operations Mike Golub about the dress. That was neat because the FO has maintained that personal clothing was fine.

Anyway, that didn't work out well for them.

Follow up lol. This is Sunday's wife Heidi. The Timbers have no defenders on the bench tonight.

https://twitter.com/Drink_Mixxer/status/1167975161795993601

highme fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 1, 2019

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm sure this is just standard British tabloid poo poo-stirring, but what the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1168642275557220354

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

whypick1 posted:

I'm sure this is just standard British tabloid poo poo-stirring, but what the gently caress?

Please god no

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

whypick1 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1168656725228081153

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

He's not Twellman, but I believe him.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Italy just defeated Georgia in Euro qualifying, but despite a 1-0 win it was a tactical disaster and the likelihood that Denmark destroys us in the next match is high unless something changes. That said, 2 wins for 2, hard to complain!

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

First round fixtures for the Scandinavian nations was a breeze for everyone.
Norway beat Northern Ireland 6-0, Sweden squeezed by Latvia 4-1 and Denmark came away from Israel with 3-0.

Also I just looked up the group Norway is in and they apparently re-did the rules this year so every nation gets to play and there's no pre-qualifiers as in previous years. So uhh.. This should be a cake walk.

Group C: Norway (12), Wales (32), Belarus (54), Northern Ireland (59), Faroe Islands (85)
FIFA rankings in parenthesis.

Added bonus: Norway just beat England 2-1 in a friendly with a lovely goal by CGH.
https://imgur.com/lBBgO9g

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Grimson posted:

First round fixtures for the Scandinavian nations was a breeze for everyone.
Only if you don't include the Faroes in Scandinavia. :v:
They got thumped 0-6 by Wales, who then proceeded to draw at home against Northern Ireland, thus giving Norway even more of a leg up in this group.

Yesterday's friendly was also Ingrid Hjelmseth's final match for the national team. She bows out at the age of 39 with 138 caps, having been a part of the team since 2003. She went off after 85 minutes to a standing ovation from the second-largest crowd ever for a women's match in Norway, which made for a pretty nice testimonial.
https://twitter.com/nff_landslag/status/1168997406098251776

England's goal may have been the prettiest goal scored at Brann Stadion this year (Brann certainly hasn't been providing many of them!). Full match highlights from BBC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vR6BZOKMfM

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Grimson posted:

Group C: Norway (12), Wales (32), Belarus (54), Northern Ireland (59), Faroe Islands (85)
FIFA rankings in parenthesis.

I demand a faceoff between the Faroe Islands men's and women's teams, with money on the line.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Moktaro posted:

I demand a faceoff between the Faroe Islands men's and women's teams, with money on the line.

The sheep team would win.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Zwachro posted:

Only if you don't include the Faroes in Scandinavia. :v:

Norway, Sweden and Denmark make up Scandinavia. The Faroes are part of the Nordic countries, along with Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Greenland and Åland.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Also, Estonia cosplays as Nordic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, Estonia cosplays as Nordic.

And Scotland, when it suits them