Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
FYI in case you missed it, the change to AA priority sectors and Manual AA earlier this week has severely reduced the AA capabilities of every ship. Now is a good time to play CV if that’s your kink. Powerful AA cruisers like Minotaur are still alright, but all BB’s are helpless solo and poor DD’s got absolutely ratfucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Also FYI, free commander respecs until 29th. You need to activate it from the Weekend Highlights article (link to EU):
https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/general-news/weekend-highlights-23-08-2019/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Preechr posted:

FYI in case you missed it, the change to AA priority sectors and Manual AA earlier this week has severely reduced the AA capabilities of every ship. Now is a good time to play CV if that’s your kink. Powerful AA cruisers like Minotaur are still alright, but all BB’s are helpless solo and poor DD’s got absolutely ratfucked.

My experience has been entirely the opposite of this

Preechr
May 19, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

My experience has been entirely the opposite of this

NTRabbit posted:

entirely the opposite

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Preechr posted:

It truly was a great idea to do this at the same time they released a DD line without smoke, 10/10 my smoldering French rear end would patch again

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

In that I have found AA to be stronger than it was immediately before the change, obviously AA cruisers are not now weaker

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

NTRabbit posted:

In that I have found AA to be stronger than it was immediately before the change, obviously AA cruisers are not now weaker

Hahahahahha

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
New not at all overpowered and extremely well balanced cruiser Smolensk has excellent AA!!!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My baseline for a bad CV game is like 50K with this new update. I feel like I lose a touch more planes but the amount of damage I get in exchange is worth it. DDs especially have no chance now.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Lunsku posted:

Also FYI, free commander respecs until 29th. You need to activate it from the Weekend Highlights article (link to EU):
https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/general-news/weekend-highlights-23-08-2019/

NA link? I can't find it. Also, free stuff:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/our-bad/

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
It really feels like DDs get monster dunked on right now. Especially French dds, garbage AA and no smoke? Fun times!
For other ships, the change to AA zones let’s me get a big initial burst on them, if they don’t dodge well they are just gone. But, it’s always hard to tell if my AA shot them down because they are bad or unlucky.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
On a scale from "completely" to "superfucking ultramega", how overpowered is the Bismarck so tha tthe entire enemy team is turning to focus me down the splitsecond i am located?
Im seriously, ive had 3 battles so far and in every single one of them the entire flank ignored everything that wasnt me until i was dead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On a scale from "completely" to "superfucking ultramega", how overpowered is the Bismarck so tha tthe entire enemy team is turning to focus me down the splitsecond i am located?
Im seriously, ive had 3 battles so far and in every single one of them the entire flank ignored everything that wasnt me until i was dead.

It's not that you're overpowered, it's that you're a good source of full pens for people shooting AP at you.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

"Not overpowered"

People are shooting you because it's easy to farm damage on a Bismarck.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Same thing as everyone stopping what they're doing to shoot a Pensacola. It's an xp pinata.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Also every CV with AP bombers is going to farm you relentlessly because your cursed turtleback magnetically attracts AP bomb citadels.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

And your effective combat distance means you will likely be the closest BB to shoot at.

ricepowah
May 3, 2008
I want to boatse. and maybe even get some steel in clan wars because I can't climb past rank 10

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I figured it was something like that, but i was taken aback at the sheer amount of mindless focussing that was going on.
Not that anyone on my team would have taken advantage of not being shot at to shoot back of course, they all just went "phew, glad its not me" and went on doing nothing.

How do i get at least one halfway satisfying game in that thing?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also the closer a Bismarck gets the more dangerous it is

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I figured it was something like that, but i was taken aback at the sheer amount of mindless focussing that was going on.
Not that anyone on my team would have taken advantage of not being shot at to shoot back of course, they all just went "phew, glad its not me" and went on doing nothing.

How do i get at least one halfway satisfying game in that thing?

Use islands and concealment. You've got the German 5km gently caress-you-smolbote hydro which is easy mode for hunting DDs who buy into the idea that BBs are prey in archipelagos (heeheehee DD drivers are so dumb sometimes). Fire over cover, duck behind an island and stop when you need to repair, sail closer and melt things with your obscene secondary armament. As it moves towards midgame you'll have more opportunities to brawl either from the enemy advancing into you or to charge down fleeing remnants, or you'll have worked your way down an island chain and can pop out in a flanking position.

If you're getting melted like a cruiser, play more like a cruiser.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Suits me fine, i like brawling a lot more than snipey-hidey.
Id just need o get close enough, and judging from what ive seen, ill prolly be the only ship closer than 22km to the enemy.
But ill give it a try.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Suits me fine, i like brawling a lot more than snipey-hidey.
Id just need o get close enough, and judging from what ive seen, ill prolly be the only ship closer than 22km to the enemy.
But ill give it a try.

German battleships are top candidates for the ram flag :black101:

Burns
May 10, 2008

The bismarck feels like its gotten creeped by just general additions and changes to the game.

That being said i usually try to hang around 14-16 km from enemies for the first half or so of the round. Ideally i will try to position myself between the enemy and friendly dds but close enough to the dds to support them but also with room to retreat if things ho sideways. Basically its secondaries are really only good once the enemy has been thinned out a bit. Going in full tilt to secondary right at the beginning is a nixe trip to the port screen.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Bismark was never really good compared to either of the original T8 BBs though. Fewer lower caliber more inaccurate main guns than either Amagi or NC, secondaries that do very little other than looking really cool, and an armor scheme that ensures you eat big pen damage even if you avoid actual citadels.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
What ship has the best secondaries?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

celewign posted:

What ship has the best secondaries?

Technically, Graf Zeppelin. In actuality, probably Massachusetts/Georgia, and GK.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
GKurfurst is probably technically the best, as it's the only ship that can get pen high enough to go through 32mm T8+ BB plating.
Alsace and Republique have more higher RoF secondaries, but they're arranged oddly in some cases. Their fire chance is better than the Germans.

The Mass/Georgia/Ohio US line have the most accurate secondaries, with similar range to the others. They're still only 127mm guns though, so they can pen at most 26mm plating.

e: the special US BBs get a decent bonus for secondary use, because US BBs don't get a dispersion mod in the third upgrade slot. They get the better disperson mod in the T9 sixth slot, so they can maintain good main gun accuracy while also using the secondary mod in slot 3.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I think the nazis have the best secondaries, the innate HE penetration bonus lets them damage things that aren't DDs without spending literally all your commander points (only almost all) on buffing the bad AI controlled guns. Gneisenau I think has the 128 mm guns which can damage tier 7 battleships without IFHE, but then you would have to play the Gneisenau :smith:

In reality I think the best way to play a secondary ship is probably the Georgia, the base ship is overpowered so you don't end up as bad by spending all your commander points buffing the bad AI controlled guns.

edit: also the Germans have poo poo gun accuracy and on top of that you have to give up the slot 3 gun accuracy mod for secondary range, while the Georgia has Alaska gun accuracy for reasons and you have no option for a gun accuracy mod in slot 3 in the first place.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 26, 2019

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Oh my god I am up to the Acasta and I hate it's stupid catapults it calls guns so much! Does it get better or should I just accept the line is not for me and stop grinding it?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Noir89 posted:

Oh my god I am up to the Acasta and I hate it's stupid catapults it calls guns so much! Does it get better or should I just accept the line is not for me and stop grinding it?

Icarus and Jervis have the same catapults, but Icarus has usable torpedoes (it's still bad) and Jervis has six guns (it's fine).
Tier 8-10 are really good.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
i'm really enjoying the pan asian line. i get bored quickly and the fact that each ship is totally different makes them very interesting. i'm at the fushun.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Can’t they also limit subs per team like cvs? If there is only 1 sub per team but 3-4 dd per team it would hopefully mitigate the issue.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I deleted a full health Smolensk using a spotter plane on his smoke.

From 20km.

In an F D loving G.

Feels good, man.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

celewign posted:

i'm really enjoying the pan asian line. i get bored quickly and the fact that each ship is totally different makes them very interesting. i'm at the fushun.

The Gadjah is a great place to stop. Its a strong ship for its tier, but the rest of the line is kinda meh versions of US DD's.

0/5 in the Guepard so far, simply can't carry games hard enough. Playing a ship that gets poo poo on by carriers in a tier where you see double carriers is just a waste of time.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 27, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

:shepface:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

The Gadjah is a great place to stop. Its a strong ship for its tier, but the rest of the line is kinda meh versions of US DD's.

0/5 in the Guepard so far, simply can't carry games hard enough. Playing a ship that gets poo poo on by carriers in a tier where you see double carriers is just a waste of time.

On the Jag, can research the Geupard, but honestly the French DDs haven't clicked with me. What are they supposed to be? I know Mogador is a gunboat monster. But before that, should I be stealth torping?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So French dds play kind of like Soviet gunboat dds. Tool around burning battleships and speed tanking, torping when you can. The Jaguar and Gepard can get decent damage scores but can’t really carry games because of the playstyle. I’m not past that in the line yet, but the Mogador does well rushing smoke and blapping dds among other things.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Guepard and Jag can ambush as well, they're still faster than the other DDs at tier I believe. Spend early game establishing a flank and harassing, then go dark and put yourself speeding head on toward where you see an enemy DD is going to. Make sure MBRB is available, as soon as you face check them, turn out and MBRB. You will cripple or kill most same tier DDs this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

toadee posted:

Guepard and Jag can ambush as well, they're still faster than the other DDs at tier I believe. Spend early game establishing a flank and harassing, then go dark and put yourself speeding head on toward where you see an enemy DD is going to. Make sure MBRB is available, as soon as you face check them, turn out and MBRB. You will cripple or kill most same tier DDs this way.

They’re not faster. At tier 7 the Minsk is 43 kn base, Vaquelin is 36 base. The Minsk is admittedly an anomaly, but they play very similarly. Just Minsk gets smoke.