Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
2.X gets some minor flak, but the negative experience that defined my memory of ARR was how miserable the lead up to titan was. Heck, Brayflox in general was the lowest point for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So I finally got around to getting my last class to 50, that being WHM, and I gotta ask: Is it possible to get the coats that A-Ruhn and Ray-O wear? They're super cute. :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kitfox88 posted:

So I finally got around to getting my last class to 50, that being WHM, and I gotta ask: Is it possible to get the coats that A-Ruhn and Ray-O wear? They're super cute. :3:

IIRC, they're wearing the 50 WHM artifact set that you get for completing the 30-50 WHM story.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Their gear, Raya-O-Senna's especially, is certainly meant to evoke a traditional FF white mage just like the artifact gear is, but both of them wear outfits that are unique to them.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
brayflox and the Titan storyline in general was awful but I got cool job rocks and started being an actual final fantasy jobhaver so I didn't much care at the time :3:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

To me it was just his walk. Seems at first like drama for drama's sake; could well be true, but to me it was the slow, tired shuffle of a person who is deeply and fundamentally Fed Up With This poo poo but trying to keep it in check because their struggle is too much more important than their existential exhaustion

I do wonder if I read too much into something as subtle as the way a character ambulates, though

It's definitely on purpose. I'm pretty sure the final shot of him just before he dies is the only time on the whole game when Emet is standing up straight. When he's finally free of all the burdens that have been weighing him down all this time.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Garland Tools lets you look up npc appearance settings and equipment (among all kinds of other things), like Raya-O-Senna is: https://www.garlandtools.org/db/#npc/1004628. Unfortunately the site confirms that it's a custom robe.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

StrixNebulosa posted:

hello I'd like to file a complaint with triple triad players not handing over their goddamned cards when they lose thank you

The fifth time this happened to me I had to give up on the game

It is a core premise of the game to give up cards when you lose! :mad:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
A++

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1164990521187508224?s=21

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dear healers: if a bunch of people die in a trial or raid, please please PLEASE prioritize rezzing red mages and summoners. They can help you unfuck the situation that you probably caused. Do NOT leave them dead while you slow rez the other dps who already have weakness/brink of death.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Veib posted:

Their gear, Raya-O-Senna's especially, is certainly meant to evoke a traditional FF white mage just like the artifact gear is, but both of them wear outfits that are unique to them.

:qq:

AngusPodgorny posted:

Garland Tools lets you look up npc appearance settings and equipment (among all kinds of other things), like Raya-O-Senna is: https://www.garlandtools.org/db/#npc/1004628. Unfortunately the site confirms that it's a custom robe.

Nice, I only used it to look up weapon models before.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Drawing this actually made me more interested in trying black mage out again.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1165319003683938305

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

my buddy Superfly posted:

Drawing this actually made me more interested in trying black mage out again.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1165319003683938305

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't cleaned up everything - there's still Of Siblings and Sidewhiskers, Odin and other primals (extreme, etc), Hildi's Immaculate Deception, Gae Bolg quest, Greatest Story Never Told, Melding Materia Muchly, Crystal Tower 3 and a billion levequests.

I just wanted to trim a few of the moogle mail quests off, and lo, I did! I'm not being as thorough this time about doing every extra thing before continuing the plot, as a bunch of it needs a party - or for me to be in the mood. And I am not in the mood for Hildi or haircut guy. Later though!

I think it is worth it to do the Gae Bolg quest since you can knock it out in a few hours and unlock 2 new trials. You can then upgrade it at the forge to make it glow with just 3 Thavnarian Mists. The steps after that though get real grindy even if the dragoon relic is one of the best looking zeta weapons. CT3 is also good to knock out, the Alliance Raid duty roulette gives good XP.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Titan's leadup has the slight benefit of pulling the 'it was a secret test allllllllllll along' card.

Garuda's is just blatently loving with you. 'oh hey I can get you a corrupted crystal. yeah here's your corrupted water crystal lol wait what do you mean you wanted wind?'

titan's leadup and specifically the part where you do a bunch of busywork for and then have a rock-breaking contest with a guy who turns out to have absolutely nothing to do with anything is worthwhile entirely for the scene it sets up way later on where you run into that guy again going "yeah, I killed Leviathan. its scales were huge, almost as big as MY DICK" and then, upon seeing you, he immediately shouts that his dick is tiny and runs away

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Ciaphas posted:

To me it was just his walk. Seems at first like drama for drama's sake; could well be true, but to me it was the slow, tired shuffle of a person who is deeply and fundamentally Fed Up With This poo poo but trying to keep it in check because their struggle is too much more important than their existential exhaustion

I do wonder if I read too much into something as subtle as the way a character ambulates, though

From what I've seen from Twitter friends, Emet looks like he's running off of 5 Hour Energy shots and pure spite, so this tracks, but I haven't gotten to ShB yet, to be fair.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spuzzz posted:

I think it is worth it to do the Gae Bolg quest since you can knock it out in a few hours and unlock 2 new trials. You can then upgrade it at the forge to make it glow with just 3 Thavnarian Mists. The steps after that though get real grindy even if the dragoon relic is one of the best looking zeta weapons. CT3 is also good to knock out, the Alliance Raid duty roulette gives good XP.

On the one hand yeah

On the other hand holy lance is the most baller looking lance and I can't change it for at least another hundred hours so sorry, it'll have to wait.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

Titus' leadup and specifically the part where you do a bunch of busywork for and then have a rock-breaking contest with a guy who turns out to have absolutely nothing to do with anything is worthwhile entirely for the scene it sets up way later on where you run into that guy again going "yeah, I killed Levibetus. its scales were huge, almost as big as MY DICK" and then, upon seeing you, he immediately shouts that his dick is tiny and runs away
ftfy

BaDandy posted:

From what I've seen from Twitter friends, Emet looks like he's running off of 5 Hour Energy shots and pure spite, so this tracks, but I haven't gotten to ShB yet, to be fair.
His character introduction was all about how he was taking a vacation via being dead, except Lahabrea hosed things up so much he had to pop back in a meat puppet from one of his clone forges.

It's also hilarious how the Ascians have been working together so long they pretty much hate each other and have settled on certain common consensus like "Lahabrea is total loving idiot."

Algid fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 24, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

People make fun of Minfilia's outfit a lot, but Alphinaud and Alisaie's original clothes are definitely the weirdest in the game. The thigh and ribcage gaps (why?), the combination leggings and wedges, it's all just very strange.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
it was always the 3 inch platform shoes for me

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

So I got to a point in Stormblood where the game just elaborated on the Garleans and its reasoning made something I already loved about this game even better.

Anyone can do anything in Eorzea with sufficient training and assistance. A Roegadyn can be as good of a ninja as Yugiri; a Lalafell can be a better marauder than an entire ship of pirates. Different races might have biases toward certain professions, sure, like seafaring Roegadyn basically perfecting the art of murdering people with a giant axe, but there's nothing stopping them from taking up other roles or professions. It's exemplified in the way that your starting city is determined not by race, but by profession; naturally, certain regions will be better locations to learn certain arts than others, whether by cultural influence or the surrounding resources. And again, the races in those regions might have biases, like Ishgard being almost entirely Elezen, but they aren't the only people in those regions.

Even within each race, everyone isn't the same. Despite how integrated they are and how probably distant they are from their original tribes by this point, the Miqo'te still maintain their original tribal prefixes, but you still have the range of demeanors and approaches to the world from Y'shtola to Nashu. Nashu isn't an airhead because she's a Miqo'te; she's an airhead because...that's who she is, as a person.

It's a very refreshing change from something like WoW, where each culture has a hard line between one another, and your race will ALWAYS determine who you are and what you can do. Even by this point in time, when feasibly some draenei could choose to learn the art of being a rogue or something, that's not represented by gameplay, despite there not really being any mechanical reason for that to be the case. The cities, too, are solidly separated; even the capitals of each faction are very much "this is where the humans live" and "this is where the orcs live". Even within these sweeping national alliances, the integration of races is surface-level at best.

So you finally get to the Magic Fascists in FF14, who've spent all this time gushing about how they're the superior race physically and mentally and they have this magic third eye and whatever, who cares. It's obviously not true because even their best soldiers, who are probably magitek-enhanced anyway, can be beaten by a force of Eorzeans, but rather than just have that superiority be called out by gameplay, the story itself admits that it's not even true. Garleans just can't use magic due to their physical makeup, and the way it's described is that they were essentially laughed out to Siberia, and their only saving grace was that they found a lot of fantasy cobalt and made magitek.

What's great is that the way this is described and at the point where this is revealed, you've spent multiple plotlines negotiating with reluctant or outright hostile nations and forming valuable alliances without the use of force, and the implication in this revelation is that some Garlean leader decided that, instead of using this wealth of cobalt and repurposed Allagan technology in trade and as a negotiating strength to build alliances with other nations, instead they should act like the scared bullies they've become and go to war with them. Instead of admitting their weakness and building strength from it, they instead decided to build the internal narrative of "no, we're the best, actually." By now, that sentiment has become so ingrained into Garlean culture that even a scientist studying the inherent and generally accepted weakness of the Garleans gets laughed out of the room for studying how to overcome that weakness, and the only people who ever find places of power are nationalists, racists, and psychopaths whose opinions on the world have been fostered in an echo chamber of hate. Even when the Garleans accept other races into their ranks, it's only through conditioning and a disavowing of any of their previous beliefs, unlike the melting pot of Eorzea.

It's not even shown as something sympathetic; by this point, with all your experiences and accumulated knowledge of the setting, you get to come to the conclusion yourself that the Garleans made the conscious choice to be Fantasy Nazis, and you've seen multiple former members of Garlean society realize upon exposure to other cultures and races that the Empire's fascism is actually really, really stupid. So many other settings make the Fantasy Nazi archetype out to be way too appealing, and 14 has managed to make a realistic, unappealing situation with their dumb fantasy fascism.

This game is good, I like it.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

People make fun of Minfilia's outfit a lot, but Alphinaud and Alisaie's original clothes are definitely the weirdest in the game. The thigh and ribcage gaps (why?), the combination leggings and wedges, it's all just very strange.

We were talking about Minfilia’s outfit in FC chat last night. It was the first time I noticed that she’s wearing an assless dress. Fun fact: “assless” autocorrects to “assured” and I think that’s a pretty appropriate change.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Algid posted:

ftfy

His character introduction was all about how he was taking a vacation via being dead, except Lahabrea hosed things up so much he had to pop back in a meat puppet from one of his clone forges.

It's also hilarious how the Ascians have been working together so long they pretty much hate each other and have settled on certain common consensus like "Lahabrea is total loving idiot."

That's such a huge mood.

HPanda posted:

We were talking about Minfilia’s outfit in FC chat last night. It was the first time I noticed that she’s wearing an assless dress. Fun fact: “assless” autocorrects to “assured” and I think that’s a pretty appropriate change.

I respect Minfilia for looking like she stepped right out of FFX-2 and is this close to dropping a hit J-pop single while places like Coertheas exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odd question but is there any sort of wiki/lore database or something that collects information about the various Au'Ra tribes based off sidequest info and stuff? I'm curious about a few things but damned if I can find any information that isn't the one-sentence detail from the lorebooks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've been busy with packing and getting ready for a move, so I missed the last 100 or so pages. Anything of value lost?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

(Stormblood 4.3) For gently caress’s sake Hien you left Yotsuyu unguarded again? After she literally just ran away? That’s not just idiocy, it’s sloppy writing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Squidtentacle posted:

So I got to a point in Stormblood where the game just elaborated on the Garleans and its reasoning made something I already loved about this game even better.

Anyone can do anything in Eorzea with sufficient training and assistance. A Roegadyn can be as good of a ninja as Yugiri; a Lalafell can be a better marauder than an entire ship of pirates. Different races might have biases toward certain professions, sure, like seafaring Roegadyn basically perfecting the art of murdering people with a giant axe, but there's nothing stopping them from taking up other roles or professions. It's exemplified in the way that your starting city is determined not by race, but by profession; naturally, certain regions will be better locations to learn certain arts than others, whether by cultural influence or the surrounding resources. And again, the races in those regions might have biases, like Ishgard being almost entirely Elezen, but they aren't the only people in those regions.

Even within each race, everyone isn't the same. Despite how integrated they are and how probably distant they are from their original tribes by this point, the Miqo'te still maintain their original tribal prefixes, but you still have the range of demeanors and approaches to the world from Y'shtola to Nashu. Nashu isn't an airhead because she's a Miqo'te; she's an airhead because...that's who she is, as a person.

It's a very refreshing change from something like WoW, where each culture has a hard line between one another, and your race will ALWAYS determine who you are and what you can do. Even by this point in time, when feasibly some draenei could choose to learn the art of being a rogue or something, that's not represented by gameplay, despite there not really being any mechanical reason for that to be the case. The cities, too, are solidly separated; even the capitals of each faction are very much "this is where the humans live" and "this is where the orcs live". Even within these sweeping national alliances, the integration of races is surface-level at best.

So you finally get to the Magic Fascists in FF14, who've spent all this time gushing about how they're the superior race physically and mentally and they have this magic third eye and whatever, who cares. It's obviously not true because even their best soldiers, who are probably magitek-enhanced anyway, can be beaten by a force of Eorzeans, but rather than just have that superiority be called out by gameplay, the story itself admits that it's not even true. Garleans just can't use magic due to their physical makeup, and the way it's described is that they were essentially laughed out to Siberia, and their only saving grace was that they found a lot of fantasy cobalt and made magitek.

What's great is that the way this is described and at the point where this is revealed, you've spent multiple plotlines negotiating with reluctant or outright hostile nations and forming valuable alliances without the use of force, and the implication in this revelation is that some Garlean leader decided that, instead of using this wealth of cobalt and repurposed Allagan technology in trade and as a negotiating strength to build alliances with other nations, instead they should act like the scared bullies they've become and go to war with them. Instead of admitting their weakness and building strength from it, they instead decided to build the internal narrative of "no, we're the best, actually." By now, that sentiment has become so ingrained into Garlean culture that even a scientist studying the inherent and generally accepted weakness of the Garleans gets laughed out of the room for studying how to overcome that weakness, and the only people who ever find places of power are nationalists, racists, and psychopaths whose opinions on the world have been fostered in an echo chamber of hate. Even when the Garleans accept other races into their ranks, it's only through conditioning and a disavowing of any of their previous beliefs, unlike the melting pot of Eorzea.

It's not even shown as something sympathetic; by this point, with all your experiences and accumulated knowledge of the setting, you get to come to the conclusion yourself that the Garleans made the conscious choice to be Fantasy Nazis, and you've seen multiple former members of Garlean society realize upon exposure to other cultures and races that the Empire's fascism is actually really, really stupid. So many other settings make the Fantasy Nazi archetype out to be way too appealing, and 14 has managed to make a realistic, unappealing situation with their dumb fantasy fascism.

FF14 is really good on race and nationality. Which is why I have very little forgiveness for fantasy that is bad about those subjects, like WoW/Dragon Age/D&D.

We can do better and it’s really not THAT hard.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Squidtentacle posted:

:hai: It's a shockingly forward game in that regard, and there's more than a smattering of LGBT representation that feels really natural scattered through it as well.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, I very much appreciate the way this game just... doesn’t gently caress up in the way that so many other fantasy worlds do. I’d like to see a bit more openly LGBT stuff, but the way it handles race and gender and fascism is a breath of fresh air.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I'm honestly still just really floored and happy we had gay marriage (excuse me, eternal bonds) from the start. Which shows you where my expectations were/are :v:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

not every white mage is as omnicidal as you are av :colbert:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, I very much appreciate the way this game just... doesn’t gently caress up in the way that so many other fantasy worlds do. I’d like to see a bit more openly LGBT stuff, but the way it handles race and gender and fascism is a breath of fresh air.

The only complaint I have is that its outfits aren't egalitarian enough between the sexes, but they're still better about it than most. I'm still annoyed by all the pants that suddenly transform into thigh-high boots, though.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
FFXIV is inherently about celebration - of its players, of FF fans, of MMOs and their fans. WoW is inherently about conflict. There are lots of positive and lighter moments, but its core is different.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

BaDandy posted:

That's such a huge mood.

I'm sorry, I know this doesn't relate to the thread topic, but... What does this mean? I see people talking about things being a mood all the time, and I feel so old.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Bobfly posted:

I'm sorry, I know this doesn't relate to the thread topic, but... What does this mean? I see people talking about things being a mood all the time, and I feel so old.

It's analogous to "I feel this often"

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
im still mad about no male viera/female hrothgar after the sexual dimorphism in au ra but otherwise yes, ffxiv is pretty good about clearing the extremely low bar wow presents

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bobfly posted:

I feel so old.

big mood

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

somepartsareme posted:

im still mad about no male viera/female hrothgar after the sexual dimorphism in au ra but otherwise yes, ffxiv is pretty good about clearing the extremely low bar wow presents

To FF14s credit, it at least doesn’t try to justify the lack of female hrothgar or male viera with BIOTRUTHS and is pretty open about it being a budget thing.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Captain Oblivious posted:

To FF14s credit, it at least doesn’t try to justify the lack of female hrothgar or male viera with BIOTRUTHS and is pretty open about it being a budget thing.

I appreciated it when they came out with that eventually, but that was after a lot of waffling about lore, and then about how there were too many "cute" races and they wanted a beastly race for player fantasy and etc (and one older interview of yoshi p just saying male viera would be "weird")

And then the "beastly" race ended up just using the Roegadyn skeleton exactly instead of less humanoid proportions.

Don't get me started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bobfly posted:

I, too, empathize with the feeling of having to come back from the dead because my colleagues keep loving up.