Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, he seems to have been the 60's/70's-era director of SHIELD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Slashrat posted:

Yeah, he seems to have been the 60's/70's-era director of SHIELD

This isn't changing my headcanon from Brock Sampson, director of Shieid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for next season's grueling battle with the light and dark within Coulson as he struggles to contain his Ghost Rider possessed arm and only rely on his hologram shield arm.

twistedmentat posted:

I don't even remember Warburton on the show, so in my mind, Brock Sampson was in the show.

twistedmentat posted:

This isn't changing my headcanon from Brock Sampson, director of Shieid.

Also, I never really got into Venture Brothers, h-has it really been Sampson the whole time? I always assumed it was Samson, like the strong guy from the Bible(?) as long as he has his hair.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

This is a pretty good season for the story, and even for non-main characters getting several lines. Deke's co-workers, Piper, Davis (pre-death), but man, I think the main characters come out of this looking like chumps:

Mack: He is 100% right about doubting Sarge and yet is outsmarted by him, and his team buys into Sarge's charm, every time. It is through pure luck that he didn't have to make the call with Yo-Yo, because he was about to not make it and let her get turned into a Shrike beacon.

Daisy: Her power levels and control of her powers are amazing, but she is clearly not ready to lead. She's overturned by Jemma. She doesn't make the Hard Call either, and she's either All Against Sarge for the middle 1/3rd of the season, or believes him in the final third. To an extent Coulson was also lucky but he always seemed to have a contingency in case he was wrong. Neither Daisy or Mack had them because they never thought they could be wrong.

May: It was great to see Ming Na Wen do some more physical scenes this season. May's character though took a bit of a beating with Sarge but I feel like it was within her character in trying to move past her hang ups.

Fitz/Jemma: I actually think the show did them pretty well because they were able to make the hard calls and got out of sticky situations. Still with a bit of luck, but at least they were able to make those calls compared to Daisy and Mack, who weren't able to.

Davis: Not a hero's death at all. God drat. Please let him come back in Season 7 for a bit. His family's been referenced a few times. Let's meet them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RareAcumen posted:

I can't wait for next season's grueling battle with the light and dark within Coulson as he struggles to contain his Ghost Rider possessed arm and only rely on his hologram shield arm.

Also, I never really got into Venture Brothers, h-has it really been Sampson the whole time? I always assumed it was Samson, like the strong guy from the Bible(?) as long as he has his hair.

No, its Samson, I just keep typing Sampson and not bothering to fix it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think the thing that tripped Daisy up was when Sarge called her Skye, something he would only know if he had a chunk of Coulson in him. Also, I felt like Mack was dealt a lovely hand, unlike Coulson who was always twonor three steps ahead, he wasn't, but neither was Coulson from last half of season 4 on.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh and I decided to rewatch starting from the beginning, I skipped to Turn Turn Turn before. I really have to say the growth of characters is amazing, and Clsrk Gregg is great from his very first lines. "Welcome to level 7. Sorry, I couldnt help myself, plus that corner is really dark. I think there is a bulb out or something..."

Chloe Bennett has really improved as an actress, or maybe they wrote her wrong at first and it took them time to figure the character out. Still, her fangirl attitude to Mike was a little off.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Watching season 1 I never would have guessed that this would be such an absolute loving fact.
Season 1 of AoS is right up there with Deep Space Nine in being bad television made retroactively stonking great once you go back to watch it again knowing what comes after and having a great familiarity with the actors and characters.

notthegoatseguy posted:

This is a pretty good season for the story, and even for non-main characters getting several lines. Deke's co-workers, Piper, Davis (pre-death), but man, I think the main characters come out of this looking like chumps:
I haven't wanted to say anything, because dropping into a thread where everybody likes a thing only to be like "thing bad, actually" is just so mean-spirited and so obviously an exercise in "you're all stupid and I know better so respect me" that I've tried to stop doing it, but yeah. That really rubbed me the wrong way and this is my least favorite season arc so far, but even a plot that did nothing for me was kept strong by the character relationships.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I will be genuinely bummed if we do not get a cameo from Ward in the final season.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Comrade Fakename posted:

I will be genuinely bummed if we do not get a cameo from Ward in the final season.

same, and the time travel element makes it possible at least

RareAcumen posted:

you should give it another shot especially if you like comic book stuff, there are lots of great of homages to silver age Marvel in it (and tons of other stuff too). I think it starts off strong but the end of season 1 is where it really picks up in terms of ongoing plot lines and character arcs. it's maybe my favorite show ever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Venture Brothers good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Was the temple in the last episodes of this season located in the Yucatan?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

Was the temple in the last episodes of this season located in the Yucatan?

Apparently so, according to the wiki details. But this clearly says Peru

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Venture Brothers good.

IGNORE MEEEEEEEE yes I am

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Was the "Thomas" we saw in the 10th episode or whatever supposed to be Thomas Ward?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Season 7 teaser trailer! :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiv6trv39tQ

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I so very want a SHIELD/Legends crossover set on Kitson

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So the Chronochoms shot Archer?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

So the Chronochoms shot Archer?

haha I thought the same thing

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently Ming Na Wen is joining the Mandelorian cast, so that’s nice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Marvel superhero, Disney princess, here's crossing fingers for Jedi.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Bruceski posted:

Don't forget street fighter! :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Comrade Fakename posted:

She is my dream casting for adult Sabine Wren.

Ll

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Given her fighting skills it would seem a waste to not have her be a jedi.

Although "stern and uptight warrior" is already her thing, would be cool seeing her playing someone rougher and looser.

Although the brief glimpses we see of pre-traumatised, happy and chill May are pretty wonderful. The S4 flashback of her flirting with Phil is great, and it's such a :unsmith: moment when she's joking about how her date with some psychologist dude is probably gonna be awful.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

She is my dream casting for adult Sabine Wren.

Ll

That would be dope.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Given her fighting skills it would seem a waste to not have her be a jedi.

On the other hand I would love to see a Star Wars show without Jedi, they're not mandatory for the SW feel. Solo nearly managed it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If you played SWTOR as a force using class, you hosed up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Every idiot's brother-in-law is a jedi. People use light sabers to carve T'urk'iis every Life Day.

I hope she's something cooler.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Most likely she’ll get the Phasma treatment and wish she’d never wasted a year of her life filming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She also got the Disney Legends treatment that RDJ got. Pretty awesome time in her life if you ask me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mymla posted:

If you played SWTOR as a force using class, you hosed up.

Light Side With Warrior >>>

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 25, 2019

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

This is a real dumb question, but what happened to Deke? Is he and Piper and the side character gang off S7?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

stratofarius posted:

This is a real dumb question, but what happened to Deke? Is he and Piper and the side character gang off S7?

Deke is with them. Piper and stoneboy are unknown. Other side characters are unknown but since other Shield folks are there and were going to muster at Deke's startup we could see the techbros joining the background cast.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I choose to believe the woman with the glasses that works for Deke is the AoS universes version of Shay from Unbelievable Wasp.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Deke is just the best foil for Fitz. My god. I'm on both of their sides in every scene. I want Grandpa Leo to approve of his grandson so bad and I want Fitz's irritating, morally-compromised grandson to be and do better and stop being so annoying.

It's rare to take both sides in something like that, but the writing and performing is so great it works.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Had a rewatch binge of the first four seasons, and holy poo poo everything about Fitzsimmons is wonderful. Simmons slowly turning into a badass spy ("I think jemma has been kidnapped.... 4 or 5 times since I've known her"), the wonderful awkwardness of their early relationship (and a clearly horny Simmons cutting through Fitz's hesitance about sex)

The highpoint has to be when Simmons first sees Aida, pulls Fitz aside to comment on how beautiful she is, and pauses just long enough for the audience to roll their eyes at the incoming forced misunderstanding before revealing she instantly knew aida was a robot.

They skirt a little too close to playing flesh-and-blood Aida as a murderous scorned woman, but I think they do a decent job of focusing on how impossible it is to handle All Human Emotions Ever when they suddenly hit you at the same time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She just wanted to end humanity and replace them with cool robots cause humanity isn’t worth saving, she’s really the hero when you think about it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Robot-Aida wanted that (and to be a real person) and it was awesome.

Flesh-Aida was all "raargh love smash hate raargh lightning" and it was a different awesome.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Mallory Jansen convincingly pulling off four different character in that arc was some really underrated magnificence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Edmund Lava posted:

Mallory Jansen convincingly pulling off four different character in that arc was some really underrated magnificence.

Her last episode was an absolute thermonuclear blowout. When she learns Fitz loves Simmons and not her.

“...what...”