Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Imagine sending the loving peelers round someone's house over a tenner of petrol :lol:

e; It cost £196 to deploy the police for that job, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Ms Adequate posted:

Imagine sending the loving peelers round someone's house over a tenner of petrol :lol:

I remember after the London riots some poor frigger got jail time for nicking a gingerbread man

It's worse than I remembered - he died in prison :( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35351407

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

I did this not so long ago, forgot I wasn't using the pay at pump and drove off. A PCSO came round my house when I was at work to tell my wife I needed to go and pay, which I did.

There was literally no panic at all.

Also, how would a taser have saved PC Harper's life? I am so sick of the unchallenged sophistry, especially from ACPO, on the BBC.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 24, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Borrovan posted:

You can still just say "that's not true" though. That doesn't assume bad faith, and it forces the person to either double down (lie) or admit ignorance

tbh it's kind of a clever reframing of the debate to make it about "is it okay to insult people", since that excuses journalists just straight-up not doing their job

yeah that's what I'm talking about - my biggest issue with the news is they just don't tell people anything. They don't give enough information or context for people to have an informed take on anything, half the time they literally just say "the government says this". So you're not informed about the facts surrounding the issue and that the government took this particular position, you're just informed that the government said a thing. Top story - the government says NHS funding is at an all time high, etc

so yeah if they actually called out things that aren't true, literally confronted the person with this (like an interrogation) then people would actually learn something about what's going on and whether to trust the person making claims. but claiming they're lying (which you usually can't prove) is like veering into a personal beef and it's very easy for the target to go "oho, looks like you're really just out to attack me" when the framing is :airquote: neutral and unbiased journalism :airquote:. Like it's something the right capitalises on a lot

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Collateral posted:

I did this not so long ago, forgot I wasn't using the pay at pump and drove off. A PCSO came round my house when I was at work to tell my wife I needed to go and pay, which I did.

There was literally no panic at all.

I don't believe you. Did you ask your wife how she felt about the police turning up at the door? Because that's never good news. Unless you have an extremely chilled out wife or a wife who is unfamiliar with the role of the police in society then I doubt that the situation was entirely panic free tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

I remember after the London riots some poor frigger got jail time for nicking a gingerbread man

It's worse than I remembered - he died in prison :( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35351407
loving hell, why wasn't this a bigger story at the time? Yeah, press is poo poo etc., but death for stealing a gingerbread man...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

Christ alive I forgot all about that guy and didn't know he'd died, wtf. And of course the judge says "Nah it's fine the response to his heart attack was fast enough" when that's hardly the actual point, the point is that he shouldn't have been charged over such a pathetic crime in the first place and if he was, his bail should have been set at about 20p.

:negative:

crispix posted:

I don't believe you. Did you ask your wife how she felt about the police turning up at the door? Because that's never good news. Unless you have an extremely chilled out wife or a wife who is unfamiliar with the role of the police in society then I doubt that the situation was entirely panic free tbh.

Eh, depends on said wife's personal experiences. People who post regularly ITT are probably always going to freak out about the cops because we know exactly how shite they can be, but there are abundant people who will just go "Oh the police, wonder what they want?" and answer before their brain can even start racing through possibilities.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
She wasn't bothered at all. Several of my immediate neightbours are senior plod so she isn't exactly allergic to them. The PCSO was probably more nervous.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Like, when members of your family die in accidents or are murdered the police come to your door to tell you :/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/_Bands_FC/status/1160985220084109312

lmao. missed this when it was first tweeted

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Junior G-man posted:

Can someone tell me wtf UnHerd is by the way? It looks like some kind of Spectator lite.

It's a kind of retirement home for the former centrist-ish columnists from the Telegraph who all lost their jobs when the paper took its alt-right turn.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

baka kaba posted:

y'know, I sorta agree with him as fair as the news goes - calling someone a liar is sketchy because the usual defence is to act innocent, imply there was some failure at some level, "mistakes were made" etc. It's so embedded in our culture now that you get victims of stuff campaigning for justice, and when they're asked what they want, they say "we want to make sure lessons are learned" without even an eye twitch or anything - it's an easy and effective way at fobbing people off, it's routine. And people want to believe the powerful are acting in good faith, it's comforting

if you're gonna outright accuse someone of lying you're immediately up against that - and with one side assuming intent and aggressively attacking the other, who's doing the usual "oh no we all try our best" schtick that people are receptive to, it's probably not gonna be effective. If anything you'll probably generate sympathy for them. But what they should do is doggedly call out everything they see, criticise the excuses, and make it explicitly clear what's going on without saying "[I know]you're lying". Give them nowhere to hide. Try and force them to lie on camera to defend themselves. Make it clear you believe they're lying by ignoring excuses and pursuing it. Don't just give them an easy out

if you have solid proof of a lie that's different, that's just a better kind of fact to lay bare. Call That poo poo Out! And obviously this doesn't go for pundits or anyone else actively trying to make a point - absolutely cut through and call someone a liar if that's what they're doing. But I get the feeling Rentoul doesn't think columnists are included in this group (they are) and that he thinks "mistruths" should be politely pointed out here and there, rather than seized on like a TV lawyer going in for the kill

Nah, it's about shifting an overton window on truth. At the moment there's only what someone says, and if there's an issues with what they say there's "mistakes" or "misunderstandings." It's like the misspeaking is the worst-wrong, truth in the middle, which seems to be becoming the standard for what anyone claims, and proven, un-falsifiable truth at the other side, which is rarely reached. There's no fullness of what people can do, with truth on one side, mistakes in the middle, and lies on another side.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Used to live in a very high crime area & had the rozzers come round all the time, usually it's just "did you hear or see anything at around 1am last night" :shrug:

One time they woke me up first thing on a Saturday morning to ask if I'd cleaned my steps that morning. I, very hungover and wearing nothing but pants, told them that no, I had not cleaned my steps, you just woke me up and I am very hung over. They then asked if I'd seen any blood in my front garden, getting the same answer. They then asked if I'd found a knife anywhere, at which point I started to get very pissed off and they apologised and left.

A few minutes later I kinda regretted not getting some more info out of them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Who even cleans their step anymore. Used to be a real thing with the proper old grannies who carried around tartan shopping trolleys and wore headscarves and surgical stockings those little fur-lined boots that zipped up the front, cleaning their step. There was a real thing about cleanliness with that generation. The most complimentary thing those grannies would say about a man they thought highly of was that he was very clean/hygienic.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

Who even cleans their step anymore. Used to be a real thing with the proper old grannies who carried around tartan shopping trolleys and wore headscarves and surgical stockings those little fur-lined boots that zipped up the front, cleaning their step. There was a real thing about cleanliness with that generation. The most complimentary thing those grannies would say about a man they thought highly of was that he was very clean/hygienic.

My street is where all the fuckers come and let their dogs poo poo all over the place, so a lot wash their front pavement stretch daily.
Ortherwise the dog poo poo would be 3 foot deep by the weekend.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Do yous not go out and tell them to pick it up?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

Like, when members of your family die in accidents or are murdered the police come to your door to tell you :/

Sure but that's not exactly a commonplace event, most people will assume it's FAR more likely they're there to ask if you saw or heard anything on the night of the 22nd because a car got its windows broken or something.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

Do yous not go out and tell them to pick it up?

Some walk their dogs REALLY early in the morning.
There's signs saying 150 euro fine for dog poo poo at both ends.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I missed Willy Waggledagger chat but would like to add my tuppence worth : Branagh is a collossal asshat and should be shot. Christopher Eccleston was the best Iago and also is a bit of an asshat, shoot to wound. I saw Vanessa Regrave at the Globe when I was a youngin at upper school, she was playing gender bent Prospero in the Tempest. Found out I am not as 💯 straight as I thought, that day.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Ms Adequate posted:

Sure but that's not exactly a commonplace event, most people will assume it's FAR more likely they're there to ask if you saw or heard anything on the night of the 22nd because a car got its windows broken or something.

I was going to say that this is one of those instances where living in NI has left me with a very different perspective but I think you mentioned being from here as well. I don't know, maybe I just assume the worst because that's just the kind of person I am.

I have literally no idea what the post above this means.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mrenda posted:

Stealing/theft of something involves intent (to deny,) which is why a lot of petrol stations just do a follow up and say, "You forgot to pay." It's really common for someone to do a bit of shopping and forget about the petrol, especially if they pull away from the pumps to one of the parking spaces. A similar thing with people going through check-outs with something under their arm. There's even the expanded risk of defamation if the say, "You stole that!" in front of a load of people when you just forgot.

Edit: I think it's also why they ask, "Did you get any petrol?" Partly because people forget, and also because it actually involves someone saying, "No." Which is hard to defend against if you did.

I used to work in petrol station and can confirm pretty much all of this; most drive offs are accidental, and if you notice and return to pay everyone is happy. The police get called because the store requires it as part of loss prevention & recovery process, as they're the ones who will be able to match car registrations to addresses, so if you want to keep your job you have to do it whenever any amount of fuel is stolen. That was the annoying part, the paperwork I'd have to do because someone drove off with £5 worth of petrol without paying, and checking back on CCTV for the numberplate, hoping that I wasn't looking at my phone under the desk at the time.

How much the police actually follow up on this is dependent on your local force, most won't go out if there's any doubt as to if it was intentional or not (ie. did they come into the store or drive away immediately? Did the cashier ask them if they had fuel and did they say no? etc. etc.), and most are unlikely to go after low amounts (a tenner is probably at the lower end for what they'd go out for) so at that point it's written off as a loss.

Oh and if you go to a petrol station, fill up and discover you have forgotten to bring money with you, most stores will let you go and get money after filling out some legal paperwork promising that you'll come back to pay within 14 days, if you haven't paid by then they send debt collectors after you.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

crispix posted:

Responding to Shakespeare chat from a few pages ago

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Polis/dog poo poo chat: One of my mates used to live on a side street near the football ground, one day when there was a match on and he was out having a smoke a mounted copper's horse did a massive poo poo right outside the gate. He enquired as to whether said copper would be cleaning it up, got laughed at and told no. When he complained that if his dog did that outside the police station he'd get a fine, he was told that it's fine for horses because they don't eat meat.

Now that vegan dog food exists can he raise a dog vegan and have it poo poo all over their car park?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ban cops on horses imo.

Ban everyone on horses actually except at the beach or with a caravan attached, which are the proletarian horse contexts.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Does this rule apply to humans because I don't eat meat. That's such a puffed up cop thing to do, to just make up a rule like that off the cuff.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm now wondering how that would go over here (Northern Germany). I don't own a car, but I'm occasionally buying stuff from a petrol station's mini mart, since they're often the only thing open on a Sunday. So I visited them often enough to know that most stations have some kind of electronic thing lighting up on their screen when someone uses one of the hoses. And since they have eyes to see someone walk in from the direction of that car, I guess it would be ultimately the petrol station's fault if someone walks off without paying for fuel.

Of course, if you see someone wildly gesticulating at you from the station, or running out after you and you just drive off, the police will still not be at your house the next day, instead they'll be forcing you off the road in less then 10 minutes. :v:

crispix posted:

I've caused the police to show two times at our house now and now I feel guilty for the other people living here. (First time, I dutifully called the police when two jays got caught in my neighbor's cat protection net because that's what google told me to do. This ended in the police arriving and immediately calling the fire fighters, as those where handling bird- and other animal-related rescue tasks in our city. The second time someone started a small fire in our house and the police showed up to collect information after the fire brigade suddenly arrived to prevent our house from becoming a smoldering ruin thanks to a loving melting plastic cooker.)

Anyway, as I never had any negative experience with police, I never wasted a thought at what my neighbors would think at dealing with sudden police cars arriving in the vicinity. I think it's kind of sad when people have to fear their police, that stuff just isn't right. :(

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

According to this article, police (any?) horses making GBS threads in the street is actually totally legal

e: vvv yeh we definitely need more of this poo poo
e2: huh "pain compliance" sure is a fancy way of describing torture

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 24, 2019

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Well, there are very few good circumstances to get an uninvited visit by plod, so it is understandable to be wary. The whole sophistry surrounding the "tasers for the PCs" campaign going on atm, is absolutely unwelcome by the rank and file that I know. There are very very few circumstances where a taser will be of benefit to them. It wouldn't have saved PC Harper, and it is seriously bad form to suggest that it would.

ACPO are, however, a bunch of shitheads. What do they get from upping the ante with line officers and specials against who? Everybody? It does have the fetid whiff of national politics though. I had thought we were going in the right direction with adopting the Spanish Practice of nothing custodial below a 24 month sentence, but no, we now have a clown idiot oaf PM who thinks the plebeian masses are criminals who have not yet committed a crime...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mrenda posted:

Nah, it's about shifting an overton window on truth. At the moment there's only what someone says, and if there's an issues with what they say there's "mistakes" or "misunderstandings." It's like the misspeaking is the worst-wrong, truth in the middle, which seems to be becoming the standard for what anyone claims, and proven, un-falsifiable truth at the other side, which is rarely reached. There's no fullness of what people can do, with truth on one side, mistakes in the middle, and lies on another side.

Yeah that's why I think it's more important for them to call out the "misunderstandings" and demand explanations and remind them of how they've tried this before (which would already be a huge rejection of :decorum: ) - it's like calling out lies, just not giving them an excuse to change the subject and claim they're being attacked because you're explicitly inferring their motives, which is what they're already able to hide behind

But that's more reporters, like I said other people should definitely accuse figures of lying more, because of what you said - gotta shift that window that's been heavily mortared in place with pure, reasonable decorum

and a lot of people are doing it, especially on the internet. It's good!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Ban cops on horses imo.

Ban everyone on horses actually except at the beach or with a caravan attached, which are the proletarian horse contexts.

Broke: Cop on horse
Bespoke: Horse-on-cop

Spoilered for horsewang

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Get furaffinity involved and have horsecop on cophorse horse copulation.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Tarnop posted:

Responding to Shakespeare chat from a few pages ago

This thread moves so fast, and I know gently caress all about computers, actual socialisms or video games. Shakespeare and Samaritans are something I have passing familiarity with so leapt on it xc

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

what is your position on crisps

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gonna say I didn't expect to see horsewang when I checked in on this thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's the kind of content variety you pay the entrance fee for.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

I was going to say that this is one of those instances where living in NI has left me with a very different perspective but I think you mentioned being from here as well. I don't know, maybe I just assume the worst because that's just the kind of person I am.

Oh no I 100% agree that I would assume the worst and I expect most folks in Norn Iron might have a perspective like ours, but the tans are another matter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

njsykora posted:

It's only on mare occasions.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like how BA is willing to incur ~£20m losses over giving an extra £5m to pilots, especially with annual profits of £1.96bn.

Obviously it's about the 'principle' and crushing the striking workforce, but that does not making better in any way.

Of course the media does not have many kind words for the strikers.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

njsykora posted:

That's no way to talk about our prime minister, sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

njsykora posted:

These Numberwang spinoffs are rubbish.