Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just got my Rog Phone 2, this thing is glorious hardware-wise. Seems to have full functionality with T-Mobile, in as much as I'm getting 20mbit up/down on a speed test and calls are fine. My only hardware nitpick is that even though the in-screen fingerprint reader works with my tempered-glass screen protector, it's not quite as fast/reliable as my Pixel fingerprint on the back of the phone. This one works 4/5 tries but it's enough to be a little annoying, though I might not be lining my finger up right each time since there's no groove like I used to have. Could be the screen protector. That and while the build quality is rock-solid, it isn't IP rated. I'll put up with that for gaining the dual super-loud front speakers, headphone jack, RGB notification light on back, dual-SIM, 3 microphones (?), 120hz screen, dual USB-C ports, haptic shoulder buttons, 6000mah battery, wide-lens camera, and a nice flat screen that takes a tempered-glass protector properly. It is the same width and hand-feel as a Pixel 2 XL, just... taller and slightly more heft.

The main reason I went for a new phone in the first place is that Google blocks call recording apps on my Pixel 2 XL. Meanwhile, Asus built a call-recording toggle into their default dialer, fuckin' lol

The imported Tencent version like I have is now $570 shipped on eBay, from a USA shipper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202762159771

Asus released an official tool that unlocks the bootloader and roots the device, allowing you to install the worldwide OS instead of China-specific. The caveats being that it allegedly voids your warranty and Asus won't support you, and the worldwide OS has 5G wifi broken as of this writing, and unlocking the bootloader permanently pisses off Netflix DRM so you're stuck with 480p streaming forever. I might still switch over to that later, or if someone makes an AOSP then I almost certainly will.

For now I'm sticking with the China-specific rom. I set it to English, side-loaded the Google Play store from apkmirror.com and used that to restore all my apps and get stuff like Google Maps / Gmail online. The only thing I don't like about the China rom is it seems to refuse to let me change the default launcher. Edit: Got my launcher of choice working with this RogPhone2 specific ADB hack: https://forum.xda-developers.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/disable-default-asus-launcher-root-t3955949

All told at $570 this is shaping up to be the best value on the planet. I'm interested to see if the US version is lower than the China one plus the $60 import markup.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

butt dickus posted:

Android 10Q: You're welcome :smugdroid:

Android Q for Quitting Desserts :btroll:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zero VGS posted:

Could be the screen protector.

I can almost guarantee it is.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

I can almost guarantee it is.

Hmm, there's a five finger max so I went and added both of my thumbs twice and that seems to have helped a lot. There's a "check fingerprint" where you put a finger on and it tells you which finger you're doing and I can see it randomly matching my thumb as Right Thumb 1 or Right Thumb 2, for example.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Switching from a glass to a plastic screen protector on my OP7 improved the fingerprint reader speed and accuracy a noticeable amount, worth the less premium feel when touching the screen imo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
OK this phone is officially da best:

The haptic shoulder buttons let me actually run and aim and ADS and fire all at the same time, I usually suck at these games but I was stylin' on everyone and won on my first try. I've never won a battle royale in my life!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

.... hehe the first game is usually bots and everyone wins. It's a pretty funny and effective game mechanic for that mobile game

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The game puts you up against braindead bots until like level 10 or 20. It'll slowly add actual players each couple matches.

E;fb

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Switching from a glass to a plastic screen protector on my OP7 improved the fingerprint reader speed and accuracy a noticeable amount, worth the less premium feel when touching the screen imo.

Never Settle

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I knew that ROG phone is huge but I didn't really realize how huge it is until I used a comparison app, it's literally an inch longer than my current phone and over 50% heavier. :stare:

If it had wireless charging I'd still consider getting it though. :ohdear:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Zero VGS posted:

The main reason I went for a new phone in the first place is that Google blocks call recording apps on my Pixel 2 XL. Meanwhile, Asus built a call-recording toggle into their default dialer, fuckin' lol

They're blocked because of legal and ethical issues. Clearly things that aren't on your mind.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

They're blocked because of legal and ethical issues. Clearly things that aren't on your mind.
Not everywhere is the USA.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Khablam posted:

The US, definitely the one place where ethics are taken seriously lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Khablam posted:

I mean, if you buy a new phone primarily to get around that kind of block, it should be a big hint that you might be doing something sketchy or illegal. This thread also isn't a USA-only thread, at all.

vvv yeah I'm extremely loud about being Canadian so it's weird to accuse me of being a yankee doodle boy

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 23, 2019

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Pretty sure CLAM DOWN is Canadian.

e: Also yeah, that's incredibly bizarre for that to rank on a list of "requirements for a new phone."

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Khablam posted:

For example, in sweden the law is that recording is allowed if you're one of the parties, no informing the other party necessary. A phone bought here arbitrarily not allowing this due to laws in other countries would be weird.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Based off some cursory internet research, it looks like it's legal to record your own phone conversations in Canada too (but you can't intercept other peoples' private communications). In the US it varies by state (some require only one party to the conversation to consent, others require all parties to, etc). Anyway the person who bought the phone did say they were in the US so that's really the relevant data point there.

There are plenty of ethical and non-sketchy reasons to record a phone conversation (especially ones where everyone knows they're being recorded) so if this is explicitly why Google is blocking that functionality then they are the ones being weird. (Have they even said this is the case?) Anyway it's not like there aren't plenty of other sketchy and unethical things you can do with a phone that aren't blocked at all.

I personally wouldn't buy a phone just to be able to record calls but everyone's got their own needs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, if you buy a new phone primarily to get around that kind of block, it should be a big hint that you might be doing something sketchy or illegal.

It's not like Zero VGS is trying to hide anything here:

Zero VGS posted:

Before you ask I'm not using it for anything nefarious, I just need it for when I'm hashing out deals with corporations and they state they're recording the call, I ask permission to record as well in case they renege on any promises to us, or otherwise cover my rear end for work.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, if you buy a new phone primarily to get around that kind of block, it should be a big hint that you might be doing something sketchy or illegal. This thread also isn't a USA-only thread, at all.
It's only hard to buy a phone with it because both OS manufacturers are US based, is what I mean. Elsewhere it can be routine to record phone calls, as well as explicitly legal, and legally protected.
Google are planning to patch back in support for phone recording anyway, so for anyone in a region this is allowed it's a waiting game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Google blocking recording by default in and of itself isn't strange, because they don't want malicious apps to be able to record everything in the background (they already have enough problem with apps mining other data). Not offering a means to carefully whitelist apps to enable recording is what sucks, and Google probably just doesn't think it's important enough to focus on over yet another iteration of Hangouts. After all, it only took them how long for dark mode?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Just picked up a Note 10+ from Best Buy. This is a really nicely put together device! Samsung's really come a long way in the last few years in terms of making their phones feel like a cohesive product, it's pretty impressive tbh.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

Just picked up a Note 10+ from Best Buy. This is a really nicely put together device! Samsung's really come a long way in the last few years in terms of making their phones feel like a cohesive product, it's pretty impressive tbh.

Did I read correctly that they have a deal with Microsoft now, so you not only have duplicate Google and Samsung apps for many things, but also Microsoft? E.g., Gmail, Samsung email, and Outlook all come preinstalled.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DangerZoneDelux posted:

.... hehe the first game is usually bots and everyone wins. It's a pretty funny and effective game mechanic for that mobile game

drat it, did the PC version use bots at release? I thought I was actually good.

What a dumb trick, it had the opposite of their intended psychological effect since I'm like "I loving hate BR games, now that I won one I can stop playing forever"

Anyway it was the most GPU intensive free game I could think of to test this Snapdragon 855+, and it passed with flying colors. I didn't have an FPS counter so I'm not sure if it was hitting 120fps.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know you have a hate boner for me but I record my business dealings with permission, also I had a Verizon rep say "sorry you got jewed" to me and I was kicking myself for not having that one on tape.

BTW I'm rarely legal but always ethical to the little guy; chaotic good if you will.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 23, 2019

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

No the PC version is always match-made with players, unless you're in the off-hours of (IIRC) SEA, in which case there's so few players it needs to fill.
I'm pretty sure it's intentionally that way as a viral marketing gimmick; everyone gets a win first time and runs to post their SS of it. The PUPG subreddit was full of them when it was released.

Not to worry though, everyone actually playing it on mobile is about 10 years old so you'll get a genuine win I'm sure!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shadowgun Legends is sort of like mini Destiny on mobile and is pretty graphically intensive. Load that up and throw the graphics to Max and see how it plays.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sourdough posted:

Did I read correctly that they have a deal with Microsoft now, so you not only have duplicate Google and Samsung apps for many things, but also Microsoft? E.g., Gmail, Samsung email, and Outlook all come preinstalled.
Yeah, OneDrive, Office(??) and Outlook are installed, so there's still plenty of crapware to uninstall.

Zero VGS posted:

Anyway it was the most GPU intensive free game I could think of to test this Snapdragon 855+, and it passed with flying colors. I didn't have an FPS counter so I'm not sure if it was hitting 120fps.
Asphalt 9 has probably the best looking mobile graphics I've ever seen, give that a go and turn the graphics to ultra if you want something that'll push hardware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DjCedCZYT8

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I got a new Pixel 3 XL, and I got a few questions.

I used to have a Nexus 6p with this case (but for the 6p obviously): https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Lizimandu-Textured-Pattern/dp/B06Y4JQKSZ

I really like the design, and the fact that it's textured. Does anyone know of any textured cases that look neat for the Pixel 3 XL? I've got a clear TPU case on it for now, but I miss my old case.

Maybe this is a better question for the app thread, but are there any screensavers other than the ones included with Android? I'd particularly like a clock screensaver like the built in one, but with more customization.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

docbeard posted:

Based off some cursory internet research, it looks like it's legal to record your own phone conversations in Canada too (but you can't intercept other peoples' private communications). In the US it varies by state (some require only one party to the conversation to consent, others require all parties to, etc). Anyway the person who bought the phone did say they were in the US so that's really the relevant data point there.

There are plenty of ethical and non-sketchy reasons to record a phone conversation (especially ones where everyone knows they're being recorded) so if this is explicitly why Google is blocking that functionality then they are the ones being weird. (Have they even said this is the case?) Anyway it's not like there aren't plenty of other sketchy and unethical things you can do with a phone that aren't blocked at all.

I personally wouldn't buy a phone just to be able to record calls but everyone's got their own needs.

Fair enough!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Starting a few days ago, the Play Store has been having a really hard time downloading updates. They're just stuck in the "pending download" state. I've tried clearing the cache of the Play Store, force-closing it, and restarting my phone. It doesn't matter if it's wifi or cell data. What else can I try to fix this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Have you tried updating them one by one or are you doing an update all?

If the first app hangs, it will not even attempt the rest.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've tried both all at once and individually.

Edit: tried again just now and one started fine. Hit update all and the rest went fine too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I can't tell if my Pixel is one of those infamous duds or just geriatric but the phone speaker and mic often die (regular speakers work fine) and the gyro sometimes just doesn't work.

I was wondering if I can qualify for that lawsuit payout but I can't seem to find a reliable answer on how to find out the phone's loving manufacture date. So I used the phone's own support service to ask how.

*a couple of minutes pass*

:thunk:

I didn't even mention the lawsuit at all...

Edit: Seems the payout is for US citizens only anyway :shrug:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Also that link says pixelsettlemet which sounds like a scam website, and when I tried to see if it's real, uBlock Origin warned me about some bad poo poo.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Zero VGS posted:

Just got my Rog Phone 2...

All told at $570 this is shaping up to be the best value on the planet. I'm interested to see if the US version is lower than the China one plus the $60 import markup.

I hadn't paid attention to the ROG 2 at all because I assumed it was a $1200 monstrosity, but I'm stunned at that price. It's basically the same price as the Zenfone 6 for similar storage, but with better specs and an OLED display.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Also that link says pixelsettlemet which sounds like a scam website, and when I tried to see if it's real, uBlock Origin warned me about some bad poo poo.
They just typoyed the url, the real one is at pixelsettlement as expected

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I hadn't paid attention to the ROG 2 at all because I assumed it was a $1200 monstrosity, but I'm stunned at that price. It's basically the same price as the Zenfone 6 for similar storage, but with better specs and an OLED display.

After a whole day of using it, 3 hours of calls and 3 hours of screen on time I ended up at 60% battery. The calls ate up the most by far; wonder if VoIP calls use less energy.

I can't believe it's $510 even in China, maybe because this model has the "Tencent Games" branding on the back and has some Tencent apps, they are subsidizing it? I'll be astonished if it comes to the US for anywhere near this price, just because us yanks are too dumb to know any better.

For me this is the closest to perfection I've ever had in a phone. But it still isn't for everyone, I showed it to a friend and he said "the two things I care about are wireless charging and IP waterproof rating" which are like the only two features this phone didn't include. Come to think of it, it has two USB-C charging ports so you could maybe use once of them to permanently hardwire a charging pad in between the phone and the back of the case...

edit: yeah you could install one of these and still have the second USB charge port freed up: https://www.amazon.com/Nillkin-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-Charger/dp/B01M11UT3V

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah it's clearly a typo. Why would the official support channel send me a phishing link?

So... is there a way to find my phone's manufacture date? Every method I've found via googling hasn't worked (phone keypad codes, IMEI and serial number info, etc). Or should I not bother because I'm Canadian and likely not eligible anyway?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
How is the final Android Q beta as a daily driver? I've got that itch to try something new.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah it's clearly a typo. Why would the official support channel send me a phishing link?

So... is there a way to find my phone's manufacture date? Every method I've found via googling hasn't worked (phone keypad codes, IMEI and serial number info, etc). Or should I not bother because I'm Canadian and likely not eligible anyway?

You are not eligible as a Canadian. Sorry. I already checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CLAM DOWN posted:

You are not eligible as a Canadian. Sorry. I already checked.

:sigh: oh well, good to know before I put any more effort into this