Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Autism and picky eating are also incredibly often comorbid. Combine hypersensitivity to textures and likely childhood allergies and fixations with parents who tend to give up and/or turn dinner into a battle of wills that makes the idea of trying new food into an inherently unpleasant experience, and... yeah.

Yep, both here and it sucks poo poo because stuff will smell and look delicious and then I put it in my mouth and chew and something about the texture makes me almost vomit. It's the most loving irritating thing in the world because it means my diet is limited and I feel like a pain in the rear end whenever I'm visiting folk. :suicide:

Mycroft Holmes posted:

it sucks dealing with it because you want to like things but literally can't. :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's complicated. Because there's a big crossover between "this food is intolerable" and "this food isn't good for me" and "the only foods I can eat come from this small list". There's OCD and there's sensory processing and there's the belief that if you just live a healthy enough life bad things won't happen to you.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

immortalyawn posted:

Pretty sure SA is the most hung up on vegans place I have ever visited on the net.

Vegans are assholes, acting all holier-than-thou just because they make the world a better place

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

There's also the problem where being really nervous about trying a food biases the results when you manage to try it. If you're hypersensitive and nervous about trying new foods because you know they might slam right into your sensory nope buttons, you're more likely to disregard something that under smoother emotional circumstances might be acceptable even if you manage to actually try it. I never had such a limited diet as some people end up with as an autistic kid, but I know my nerves around trying something unfamiliar resulting in me rejecting a lot of things. There was a while where my parents had to put me on those like, diet protein food replacement shakes because my eating was so limited and I had to hit calorie and nutrient requirements.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It also screws with their social lives, since so many social events revolve around food.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

xtal posted:

Vegans are assholes, acting all holier-than-thou just because they make the world a better place

I donate to [insert worthy cause] but somehow I manage to avoid bringing it up in every drat conversation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was vegan for years.

You get poo poo on constantly any time you go out to eat with folks you don't know well or any time you mention you're vegan. Because the 1% of baby-killing assholes, online morons, ultra-strict Vegan Condoms Only types, and so on are the only vegans anyone ever hears from. The other vegans just keep on veganing without screaming at you about it.

The truth is the average vegan just minimizes animal products and doesn't spend an extra 50 bucks for vegan whatever. And desperately avoids bringing it up because some rear end in a top hat will never let it go once they learn.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
A Florida high school teacher was placed on administrative leave after he told students he'd "be the best school shooter" with a "1,000 person body count."

The incident took place at Lakeland Senior High School, about 45 minutes from Tampa, on August 16 during a lockdown drill, according to a Polk County risk protection order.

Police interviewed 16 students about the incident. The teacher told students if he were a school shooter he'd plant improvised explosive devices (IEDs), then "fire a couple rounds and wait for everyone to hide, then press a button and boom -- everyone would die," according to student testimony.

The teacher also said "he would put a bomb in the corner and put nails in it for shrapnel," another student told police.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

What the gently caress is wrong with everyone in the USA? Y'all are some serious broke brain mother fuckers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Looks like someone forgot that the "cool" teacher is still supposed to be a teacher.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with everyone in the USA? Y'all are some serious broke brain mother fuckers.

i dunno if you know this, but teenagers are dumb as hell the world over

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

luxury handset posted:

i dunno if you know this, but teenagers are dumb as hell the world over

This was the teacher not the students talking about their kill count and tactics.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

maybe america shouldn't hire teenagers as teachers :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was vegan for years.

You get poo poo on constantly any time you go out to eat with folks you don't know well or any time you mention you're vegan. Because the 1% of baby-killing assholes, online morons, ultra-strict Vegan Condoms Only types, and so on are the only vegans anyone ever hears from. The other vegans just keep on veganing without screaming at you about it.
Yeah, that sucks.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
There’s a new documentary called Cold Case Hammarskjöld, available on Amazon, that looks to be a fascinating doco about a conspiracy theory not well-known in the US. The director’s narrative style is driving me crazy though.

Briefly, it’s theorized that colonial powers arranged the death of UN Secretary General Dag Hammarskjöld in 1961 because he was a very vocal proponent of protecting the autonomy of African nations.

Edit: Here’s a NYT article on the controversy: More Clues, and Questions, in 1961 Crash That Killed Dag Hammarskjold

Busket Posket has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Aug 25, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

Same thing as everybody everywhere else; we're a bunch of dumb, smelly apes.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
The Hammarskjöld documentary mentioned an American mercenary in Rhodesia, with clippings showing he was from Natchitoches, Louisiana — a two-hour drive from me. So I looked him up and he has a LinkedIn, where he lists his mercenary work on his LinkedIn page.

The clandestine mercenary organization he worked with also had a medical team who were injecting Black South Africans with HIV under the guise of free vaccination or vitamin shots.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Busket Posket posted:

The Hammarskjöld documentary mentioned an American mercenary in Rhodesia, with clippings showing he was from Natchitoches, Louisiana — a two-hour drive from me. So I looked him up and he has a LinkedIn, where he lists his mercenary work on his LinkedIn page.

My (small compared to the rest of this because goddamn) unnerving thing is how y'all pronounce Natchitoches. I moved from St. Louis down to Lafayette about ten years ago and I was talking to my friend on the phone about where I was. I told him I had just passed 'natch-eh-toe-chez'. He laughed for a solid five minutes then corrected me*. I ended up dispatching mobile repair for most of Louisiana and that city was still there weirdest pronunciation I ever saw, I think. It'll always be my favorite one too, lol.

*You pronounce it knack-uh-dish.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Busket Posket posted:

A Florida high school teacher was placed on administrative leave after he told students he'd "be the best school shooter" with a "1,000 person body count."

The incident took place at Lakeland Senior High School, about 45 minutes from Tampa, on August 16 during a lockdown drill, according to a Polk County risk protection order.

Police interviewed 16 students about the incident. The teacher told students if he were a school shooter he'd plant improvised explosive devices (IEDs), then "fire a couple rounds and wait for everyone to hide, then press a button and boom -- everyone would die," according to student testimony.

The teacher also said "he would put a bomb in the corner and put nails in it for shrapnel," another student told police.

I mean, you hire a former Marine, you should know what you're gonna get...

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Soysaucebeast posted:

My (small compared to the rest of this because goddamn) unnerving thing is how y'all pronounce Natchitoches. I moved from St. Louis down to Lafayette about ten years ago and I was talking to my friend on the phone about where I was. I told him I had just passed 'natch-eh-toe-chez'. He laughed for a solid five minutes then corrected me*. I ended up dispatching mobile repair for most of Louisiana and that city was still there weirdest pronunciation I ever saw, I think. It'll always be my favorite one too, lol.

When I first moved down here, I asked a friend if I should return the U-Haul in Shreveport or Natch-uh-TOE-chez? Nuh-CHITTO-chez? And they still make fun of me. The city straight west from there over the Texas border is Nacogdoches, pronounced nć-guh-DOE-chiss, which is much less distressing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You folks upset about Natchitoches would not do well in Québec.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does anyone really “do well” in Québec?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was vegan for years.

The truth is the average vegan just minimizes animal products and doesn't spend an extra 50 bucks for vegan whatever. And desperately avoids bringing it up because some rear end in a top hat will never let it go once they learn.

my brothers girlfriend is vegetarian, not even vegan, and people are constantly HUGE assholes to her about it. people need to chill the gently caress out

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grassy Knowles posted:

Does anyone really “do well” in Québec?

french speaking fascists and the hell's angels

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kay-Beck?

Soysaucebeast posted:

I always thought it was pronounced "nack-uh-tish." I'm surprised none of my New Orleans friends have corrected me the few times I've said it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tashilicious posted:

french speaking fascists and the hell's angels

:hmmyes:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Autism and picky eating are also incredibly often comorbid. Combine hypersensitivity to textures and likely childhood allergies and fixations with parents who tend to give up and/or turn dinner into a battle of wills that makes the idea of trying new food into an inherently unpleasant experience, and... yeah.

Sometimes all it takes is a parent being completely lovely about trying new foods. My fiance's mom was (still is) overbearing about it with things like if you're going to a restaurant you've never been to that you have to order something you've never had before and if you don't like it, oh well. My fiance was fairly picky when we started dating but after a lot of talking things over and taking it gradually, his palate's expanded dramatically. A fair chunk of it's been different cooking method, and another's just being non-judgemental if he tries something and doesn't like it. It's been a learning experience for me since my family made trying new foods fun and something to look forward to.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Kay-Beck?

I always thought it was pronounced "nack-uh-tish." I'm surprised none of my New Orleans friends have corrected me the few times I've said it.

I love fishin' in Kee-Beck.

Here's content: an American missionary is 'called by God' to go to one of the last uncontacted tribal peoples in the world and proselytize. Most of the article isn't too unnerving but I found this disturbing:

The next morning, after a “fairly restful sleep” on the boat, he wrote, “I hope this isn’t my last notes but if it is, to God be the glory.” He stripped down to his black underpants, as Pandit had taken off his clothes so as not to spook the naked Andaman tribes. Then he stroked toward land.

The next day, the fishermen returned to the island. They motored along the coast, searching for signs of Chau.

Eventually they spotted something on the beach. They looked closer. It was a body in black underpants. And it was being dragged by the Sentinelese, with a rope tied around its neck.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Indian government has explicitly forbidden outsiders from attempting to contact the Sentinelese for years now. He knew that and deliberately evaded the patrols, assuming his god would protect him.

Can you tell I don't like missionaries?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The Indian government has explicitly forbidden outsiders from attempting to contact the Sentinelese for years now. He knew that and deliberately evaded the patrols, assuming his god would protect him.

Can you tell I don't like missionaries?

I'm not a huge fan either. The whole story reads to me of someone who was overly confident that he was the exception to every rule.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I know loads of voluntourist god types and they all loving suck.

Not sad for dead underwear white guy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm not a huge fan either. The whole story reads to me of someone who was overly confident that he was the exception to every rule.

That's literally every missionary. They believe that they are specially chosen by God to save souls.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That's literally every missionary. They believe that they are specially chosen by God to save souls.

Fair enough. I just can't fathom being so intense about it that you risk being jailed for the rest of your natural life and then some. It makes no sense to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Fair enough. I just can't fathom being so intense about it that you risk being jailed for the rest of your natural life and then some. It makes no sense to me.

I imagine that you can't imagine slaughtering me and then marching a thousand kilometers on foot to try and have a war with some Foreigners.

But that is still a thing that people do

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I think it's more unnerving that he was so stupid, prideful and had such a white savior complex. Them killing him and dragging him around as a big "gently caress you" to the rest of us seems fairly normal.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I imagine that you can't imagine slaughtering me and then marching a thousand kilometers on foot to try and have a war with some Foreigners.

But that is still a thing that people do

This is true. There are a lot of people in the world who have ideas and experiences I don't and won't, and I respect that.

Scathach posted:

I think it's more unnerving that he was so stupid, prideful and had such a white savior complex.

Seems to be an missionary thing. Their God is the only God, and people who don't worship their God have just never heard of him before. See also Jack Chick.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Pro click. I remember the first news reports of “stranded tourist murdered by tribe,” which then changed to “determined Christian missionary killed by tribe trying to protect themselves.” I didn’t know a lot of the stuff in this article, like how the dumbass thought if he stayed out of the sun for a while he’d be free of all pathogens. Dude could have wiped out every person in that tribe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think he was white.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think he was white.

White isn't a skin tone it's a state of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
White is not about your skin colour, it's a thing you either are or aren't or maybe you get lucky and are a sometimes