Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Condiv posted:

uh no that's not a lie:

Nice sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Warren has defended Israel bombing of Palestine, opposed single payer, supported standardized testing and charter schools, voted for Trump's budget, and ignored the pipeline issues all within the last ten years. She only explicitly departed from those positions once she started running for president and as of yet has not presented any rationale for why she changed positions.

It is more than fair to be suspicious of her.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/leonardpierce/status/1165025916181012480

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Condiv posted:

uh no that's not a lie:

Hahaha firing the entire air traffic controllers union was a good thing in her mind. And since she hasn't changed since then, the parties changed around her, I can only assume that she continues to believe that firing striking union workers is cool and good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

They're chanting, as far as I can tell, "she's smart, she's strong" which... Ok? Is Bernie doing something to suggest otherwise? Did he cut her off it something?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

HootTheOwl posted:

They're chanting, as far as I can tell, "she's smart, she's strong" which... Ok? Is Bernie doing something to suggest otherwise? Did he cut her off it something?

Nah, it's just Kamala staffers trying to interrupt while Bernie is talking.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If you have proof of Bernie affirming Harris' strength and intelligence I would love to see it.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I love the defense that Warren has been a Democrat since the mid 90s. She stopped being a Republican when the Democrats, by everyone's admission, started being exactly like Republicans. I certainly don't need anymore than that, she's totally cleared.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

nearly killed em! posted:

I love the defense that Warren has been a Democrat since the mid 90s. She stopped being a Republican when the Democrats, by everyone's admission, started being exactly like Republicans. I certainly don't need anymore than that, she's totally cleared.

Yeah well republicans couldn't help but run up huge deficits, fail to cut welfare, or totally deregulate finance and media, now could they? Bill Clinton changed the game in the 90s. Who can blame her for switching sides?

The fact that she's one of the best democrats holding national office and the best running for president and Donald motherfucking Trump sits in that office now tells you all you need to know.

Can't believe so many folks want to quibble about some inconsistencies regarding her campaign failing to do itself what it said it supports. Especially on economic policy! That's like the only thing she's ever really been about! Jeez the things y'all get worked up over.

Oh and what now the Israeli military shouldn't have the right to attack Palestinian hospitals and schools in self defense?? The loving purity tests are nauseating.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1165372396607553536

A GOP Operative not being the biggest fattest ironicat in the land.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Oh and what now the Israeli military shouldn't have the right to attack Palestinian hospitals and schools in self defense?? The loving purity tests are nauseating.

I don't think I've ever seen a genuine use of the term "purity test" that wasn't stupid and a sign that the person using the term is a bad person (I know you're using it sarcastically here). It's basically a way for someone to claim that the issues you care about are trivial without directly making that argument (usually because directly making it would - accurately - make them look like a total piece of poo poo).

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

RuanGacho posted:

I'm gunna be honest, it forever tainted Warren for me when I heard she spoke to the Federalists Society. Unless the content of her speech there was "Disband, you're all horrible" which we know it wasn't, there's no amount of money justifiable for doing that.

Same. I'm an attorney, and I went into law school not knowing anything at all about the Federalist Society. But they were one of many student groups active at the law school, and it took all of 1 free lunch event for me to realize how loving lovely they were and to refuse to ever go to one again. I was also like 22 at the time and not 45.

Going as a professor and speaking at a Fed Soc event is absolutely inexcusable for a Democratic candidate. And for her to claim that she "wasn't political" at the time just shows how full of poo poo she is.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

How are u posted:

That's literally a lie, dude. She left the Republicans because she came to the realization that all of their economic policies and beliefs are bullshit.

What a loving way to frame it, jesus.

The post you're responding to is completely factual and that you are willing to overlook the rest and frame it in your way instead, speaks to how much the plight of anyone non cis white hetero means to you (nil).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
No but seriously, why can't people say "ya'll"?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Chilichimp posted:

You can say y'all all you want. I say it plenty.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chilichimp posted:

All y'alls use of y'all is dumb.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

HootTheOwl posted:

All y'alls use of y'all is dumb.

The only appropriate use of "y'all" is in the phrase "gently caress all y'all motherfuckers."

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ye shouldst useth "ye" instead, t is much bett'r

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Calibanibal posted:

No Kanye No Masters.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Calibanibal posted:

-ye olde shitposte

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

all y'all sound dumber'n hell when you do

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Yinz need to stop trashing y'all.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I say howdy and y'all but I'm a dumbass so do with that what you will.

Also Warren sucks, Bernie sucks less, vote Bernie until someone better than him runs.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a genuine use of the term "purity test" that wasn't stupid and a sign that the person using the term is a bad person (I know you're using it sarcastically here). It's basically a way for someone to claim that the issues you care about are trivial without directly making that argument (usually because directly making it would - accurately - make them look like a total piece of poo poo).

Hey, I meant nearly every word! Its not my fault the best person running for president isn't a Democrat.

But yes, it's an absurd line of attack in politics, literally the process we use to determine how humanity will conduct itself (for those keeping score, the track record is pretty loving bad - particularly for the global superpower..ya know the one who's head of state we're ostensibly choosing). There's a time and place for pragmatism which ought to only be about salvaging what little you can, to do the least harm and the most good as possible. Instead it's mostly used as a defense for compromising with the worst players in a broken system before you even ask for a tweak. It's a goddamn joke half a year before the first primary.

Most pro-Bernie folks here realize he's not perfect and has flaws, and Warren being effectively #2 behind him is in reality a shockingly good turn of events. Biden is a joke and even our godawful media wont be able to resist feasting on someone they'd approve of otherwise. Once primary time rolls around most of his support won't be able to ignore that he's not even mentally all there anymore (even if being terrible doesn't do the trick).

We're lucky in this poo poo country to be so fortunate that staffers crossing the picket line intended or not is an issue. They're both claiming to be behind unions, but one campaign is breaking that commitment and the other is pro-actively directing supporters to rally behind workers every chance it gets. Thats a pretty loving valid critique in differences.

Warren having the boilerplate murderous and destructive US foreign policy her entire life until just recently when she kicked off her presidential run is by far the most damning thing. She never seemed to reckon with that until now and thats atrocious. She is exactly the candidate Hillary and much of the media desperately disparaged Sanders for in 2016, which is still far better than anyone else but come on folks.

US foreign policy and climate change drives the refugees to our border that are being demonized by the right as a scapegoat. Are you mad people are criticizing Warren for being inconsistent on her core issue? You should be loving livid that nearly the entire democratic party is so intent on doing gently caress all but replacing Trump with the status quo which led us into the mess that someone as terrible but hopelessly incompetent as Trump can exploit.

Bernie is far from perfect but we're insanely lucky to have even him in this shattering world. The most important and ignored thing he's doing is telling everyone they have to get involved to change anything, and thats the truth and nobody else is doing that.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Just so we're all clear. Warren thought destroying south america in the name of fighting communism was a good thing. She thought putting thousands of mentally ill people into the streets to freeze to death was a good thing. She thought firing thousands of striking union workers was a good thing. She did not have a change of heart on these matters, it was other economic issues the republican party did that changed her mind.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Terror Sweat posted:

Just so we're all clear. Warren thought destroying south america in the name of fighting communism was a good thing. She thought putting thousands of mentally ill people into the streets to freeze to death was a good thing. She thought firing thousands of striking union workers was a good thing. She did not have a change of heart on these matters, it was other economic issues the republican party did that changed her mind.

dealing with the AIDS crisis by laughing about 'the gay disease' also just fine with Liz

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
For me the most frustrating thing is the response is frequently "Well that was 30 years ago, how can you expect a person to have good opinions in their 40s in the 90s!?" when the answer is A) "Holy poo poo, our politicians are way too old" and B) "Sanders has always been the best on the issues"

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

Come on now, be reasonable, most of that has gently caress all to do with whether you call yourself Capital's D or R.

It probably had very little bearing on that decision, if any. I wish I was being sarcastic as I'm okay with Warren as #2 in our hellworld. Okay being extremist pragmatism, mind.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Come on now, be reasonable, most of that has gently caress all to do with whether you call yourself Capital's D or R.

It probably had very little bearing on that decision, if any. I wish I was being sarcastic as I'm okay with Warren as #2 in our hellworld. Okay being extremist pragmatism, mind.

No democrat would ever fire an entire union because they were striking

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

twodot posted:

For me the most frustrating thing is the response is frequently "Well that was 30 years ago, how can you expect a person to have good opinions in their 40s in the 90s!?" when the answer is A) "Holy poo poo, our politicians are way too old" and B) "Sanders has always been the best on the issues"

I had bad views in high school and college. A friend of mine had bad views throughout most of his 20's until he went to jail and realized that structural oppression is a thing. I'm not saying people can't change... but if your moral compass was broken into your 40's, we should support you in your shift of perspective, but probably shouldn't trust you with the single most powerful position in the nation.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I had bad views in high school and college. A friend of mine had bad views throughout most of his 20's until he went to jail and realized that structural oppression is a thing. I'm not saying people can't change... but if your moral compass was broken into your 40's, we should support you in your shift of perspective, but probably shouldn't trust you with the single most powerful position in the nation.
Yeah I'm not saying if you are personally friends with Elizabeth Warren you should ostracize her, just that having documented judgement errors into your 40s and after is a real bad mark against running for President of the United States of America.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

No democrat would ever fire an entire union because they were striking

Of course not, they're pragmatic and would never transparently betray their supposed base. They would only ever compromise away workers' power steadily in return for nothing. Dont be ridiculous.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I too like to poo poo on local colour, youz gaiz

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Buttigieg 2020: Under 40, Better Than Warren At 40

I think everyone in this thread can agree, based on the last couple pages, that he is a VASTLY superior candidate to the stealth-Republican monster that claims to have created the CFPB.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'purity test' is 'virtue signalling' for the alt-centre.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think everyone in this thread can agree, based on the last couple pages, that he is a VASTLY superior candidate to the stealth-Republican monster that claims to have created the CFPB.

Nah they're mostly just settling for the lesser evil who was never a Republican nor a Democrat but who despite his many flaws which might be criticized but aren't, is still willing to debase himself by running as a Democrat.

It's all pretty hosed up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GreyjoyBastard posted:

2019 Buttigieg is better than 1993 Warren. Too bad he's running against 2020 Warren who is far better than him. Even worse, Bernie's better than both of them. So vote Bernie.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you have a problem with what people are saying about Warren then actually say it instead of this weird passive-aggressive poo poo.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Buttigieg is an amoral, self-interested monster who would gladly crush the poor if it meant he could add another job title to his resume. His entire life is defined by ladder climbing with the goal of joining the 1% and forwarding their interests. At least Warren hates banks now even if she can't be trusted on health care or social issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

If you have a problem with what people are saying about Warren then actually say it instead of this weird passive-aggressive poo poo.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As the post quoted above yours says, instead of just making posts insinuating how ridiculous you think people are for not liking Warren, do you actually have a point here? It feels like there's a subset of Warren supporters who take comfort in the illusion that all arguments against her are ridiculous exaggerations in order to avoid having to actually confront the real reasons that they prefer her.

The kind of ironic thing about Warren as a candidate is that, in many ways, she is the candidate who many people accused Sanders of being in 2016. She doesn't really have much credibility on non-economic issues and is seriously lacking minority support despite having far higher name recognition than Sanders did during the period of the primary when his minority support was weakest. The double standard with her receiving almost zero attention on this from anyone other than some Sanders supporters is hard not to notice.