Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ManSedan posted:

This arc has been great so far but oh boy I’m confused. I have questions, but I’ll start with a simple one.

Can somebody please explain to me all the rankings of these swords? Which ones does Zoro have and where did he get them? Who else has known ranked swords?

the wiki has all of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

ManSedan posted:

This arc has been great so far but oh boy I’m confused. I have questions, but I’ll start with a simple one.

Can somebody please explain to me all the rankings of these swords? Which ones does Zoro have and where did he get them? Who else has known ranked swords?

There's 3 grades: supreme > excellent > good. I believe Mihawk is the only supreme grade we've seen so far, and there hasn't really been much mention of sword grades thru the series besides Zoro obtaining ones.

Zoro has 2 excellent blades: his childhood friend's blade and the samurai sword; and a good blade: kitetsu III. Smoker's sidekick also has a good blade.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ManSedan posted:

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Meito

basically there are different "grades" of swords depending on who crafted them or some poo poo. generally you'd believe that a higher grade swords is necessarily stronger but as we know frmo the manga the skill of the swordsman is way more important, it only augments whats already there. zoro is currently chasing back the sword he won in the duel against ryuma on thriller bark. ryuma is a legendary swordsman from wano who somehow died and his shadow ended up in a zombie that moria had. zoro beat him and got his sword but the people of wano believe him to be a thief of it because obviously they dont know the story.

the number of swords in each grade is, i think, pretty arbitrary. we know of at least three of the "supreme" grade swords which are 1. mihawks big rear end sword, 2. whitebeards glaive and 3. the "shodai kitetsu" . of these, the kitetsu is part of a series of swords that got worse with each iteration (though still apparently pretty good). they're all said to be "cursed" swords for whatever reason. luffy currently has a lower grade brother of this sword that he stole from the big nose guy. one of zoro's other swords (the cursed one he threw in the air to test his luck against) is part of this series as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Apparently whitebeards naginata was a grade 1

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the grade system is interesting and weird though, because according to mihawk and what we now know, any sword can be a "black blade" through repeated haki infusion. i imagine zoro's sword from his dead stairs girl will eventually be considered "supreme" or whatever

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
So, like, what does Big Mom's hat-sword qualify as, and would his feelings be hurt if someone told him he wasn't grade-1?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EimiYoshikawa posted:

So, like, what does Big Mom's hat-sword qualify as, and would his feelings be hurt if someone told him he wasn't grade-1?

The only people who really care about the sword rankings in OP are swordsmen.
Its not so much a central plot point as just a quirk of the OP world.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

Apparently whitebeards naginata was a grade 1

Speaking of which it’s currently on his grave being protected by Marco. I wonder if Blackbeard might eventually go there to steal it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Whitebeard's weapon even a sword?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tbp posted:

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Meito

basically there are different "grades" of swords depending on who crafted them or some poo poo. generally you'd believe that a higher grade swords is necessarily stronger but as we know frmo the manga the skill of the swordsman is way more important, it only augments whats already there. zoro is currently chasing back the sword he won in the duel against ryuma on thriller bark. ryuma is a legendary swordsman from wano who somehow died and his shadow ended up in a zombie that moria had. zoro beat him and got his sword but the people of wano believe him to be a thief of it because obviously they dont know the story.

the number of swords in each grade is, i think, pretty arbitrary. we know of at least three of the "supreme" grade swords which are 1. mihawks big rear end sword, 2. whitebeards glaive and 3. the "shodai kitetsu" . of these, the kitetsu is part of a series of swords that got worse with each iteration (though still apparently pretty good). they're all said to be "cursed" swords for whatever reason. luffy currently has a lower grade brother of this sword that he stole from the big nose guy. one of zoro's other swords (the cursed one he threw in the air to test his luck against) is part of this series as well

Got it slightly mixed up; it's Ryuma's corpse that Moria had (and suddenly it makes sense the mention of the place being so cold that bodies are preserved for centuries) and used Brook's shadow to animate, making an incredibly powerful zombie swordsman with an incredibly good katana who had Brook's fighting style but even more powerful.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The only people who really care about the sword rankings in OP are swordsmen.
Its not so much a central plot point as just a quirk of the OP world.

You know sword guys, always going on and on about their weapon.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mraagvpeine posted:

A glaive/naginata is basically a sword on a stick.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

if musashi can use an oar im sure a naginata counts

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mraagvpeine posted:

It can be converted into one pretty easily.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ManSedan posted:

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Meito#50_Ryo_Wazamono_Grade_Swords

1. Supreme Grade

2. Great Grade

3. Skillful Grade

4. Grade

Shuusui and Wado Ichimonji are both Great Grade while his Kitetsu is simply Grade. Yubashiri was a Skillful Grade by the way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the cursed blades might be a cut above (haw haw) other blades of the same grade, but the curse is considered a significant downside. As said, Kitetsu was literally in the bargain bin.

Given Mihawk's sword is as big as he is, I think there's a relatively broad definition for legendary blades that can easily include Whitebeard's naginata. (and maybe someone's going to give a name to Mihawk's tiny dagger)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And the numbers.

1. Supreme Grade. 12

2. Great Grade. 21

3. Skillful Grade. 50

4. Grade. Undetermined, seems to be any notable named sword that was not good enough to get in the higher ranks.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

And the numbers.

1. Supreme Grade. 12

2. Great Grade. 21

3. Skillful Grade. 50

4. Grade. Undetermined, seems to be any notable named sword that was not good enough to get in the higher ranks.

There's also unlisted ones like Law's blade, Cavendish's blade Durandal, and Hawkins's sword. All of those are rather unique and seem to be of high quality.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

tbp posted:

sorta. he was in line for the "throne" inasmuch as there is one. and it wouldn't be before kaido - kaido doesn't hold political power in the wano system, that's orochi, but they're in cahoots, kaido basiaclly being the real boss as far as any of us can tell. it's kinda hard to tell what causes orochi to command any degree of respect, why kaido allied with him, etc.

An assassin going after Komurasaki even though Orochi still thinks she's dead is a strong indicator that Fukurokuju is the one really running the country.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe we'll see Zoro cut loose in this arc. He hasn't really been all that challenged when it comes to his opponents. Maybe Doflamingo will show up after and undo any or all of his skill development in the next arc.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The samurai swordfighting dude in samurai land better fuckin take the spotlight for once

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

doomrider7 posted:

There's also unlisted ones like Law's blade, Cavendish's blade Durandal, and Hawkins's sword. All of those are rather unique and seem to be of high quality.

Presumably they all fall into one of those four slots. We just don't know which ones is all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is there like a sword judging board in the OP world that decides what grade the swords are?

"The finish is pretty good but the handle is pretty tacky so that's a Skillful Grade for you"

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 24, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mihawk writes opinionated reviews to the newspapers.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jose posted:

Yeah he'll upgrade to the 2 kitetsu and get odens sword. He might turn kuinas sword into a black blade though

Yeah I could see the latter happening for him to finally upgrade that sword to the highest grade, since I don't think he'll ever replace it and we know that swords turning black permanently through armament haki is a thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It would make slightly more sense if it was created using haki rather than permanently imbued with it through use

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Luffy's meat fork becomes a black legendary weapon..

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

When Zoro beats Mihawk he’s gonna claim Yoru and use it as his mouth sword.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

When Zoro beats Mihawk he’s gonna claim Yoru and use it as his mouth sword.

It'll be broken as penance for the two swords of Zoro's it broke.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i cannot think of another example where a skilled fighter fights a master, loses, then later asks the master to train him so he can win the rematch. we def. see the fight -> lose -> begs to be a disciple story often enough, but where both know it's for a later rematch is an interesting twist.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Gyges posted:

It'll be broken as penance for the two swords of Zoro's it broke.

Yeah there's no way Zoro beats Mihawk without cutting through his sword in a two-page spread.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
and Mihawk has got a big smile on his face

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bleck posted:

and Mihawk has got a big smile on his face

I would mark the gently caress out if Mihawk says the line at the end of it.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
The fact that Mihawk taught Zorro during the timeskip makes me think they won't have a climactic battle. It will be up to Zorro to defeat the guy who beats Mihawk (most likely Shiryu from Blackbeard's crew) and surpass him that way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The fact that Mihawk taught Zorro during the timeskip makes me think they won't have a climactic battle. It will be up to Zorro to defeat the guy who beats Mihawk (most likely Shiryu from Blackbeard's crew) and surpass him that way.

Please do not insult Mihawk like this. He is a man of his word.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

bacon flaps posted:

the d stands for daddy
- Boa Hancock

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

bacon flaps posted:

he's horny for fighting

like for real he probably loves fighting more than any other straw hat
I imagine that, in the alternate reality where Kuina survived into adulthood, he's disappointed if he meets her and she doesn't make him bleed at least a little.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mihawk writes opinionated reviews to the newspapers.

This tickles my funnybone for some reason. The world's most powerful swordsman in his spooky crumbling gothic castle, sitting back in a high-backed chair behind a desk in a study with quill pen and ink just penning inane old-lady letters to the editor about swords he's seen lately.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Crasical posted:

This tickles my funnybone for some reason. The world's most powerful swordsman in his spooky crumbling gothic castle, sitting back in a high-backed chair behind a desk in a study with quill pen and ink just penning inane old-lady letters to the editor about swords he's seen lately.

He's got a regular column, for sure. Dracule "Hawk Eyes" Mihawk is the Andy Rooney of the One Piece universe, but for swords.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Crasical posted:

I could also see him doing that for fine wines as well given that he's been shown drinking a glass a few times. That would actually be great character for him I feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
morgans and mihawk is a ship of mine now