Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I've inherited the post-Byzantine kingdom of Thrace, and I just noticed that now I can create the Latin Empire title. Does this come with any special features, or claims or whatever? I'm already a custom empire, so I'm just wondering if there's any point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

super fart shooter posted:

I've inherited the post-Byzantine kingdom of Thrace, and I just noticed that now I can create the Latin Empire title. Does this come with any special features, or claims or whatever? I'm already a custom empire, so I'm just wondering if there's any point

It's a mutually exclusive blocker for the Byzantine empire — as long as the Latin empire exists, Byzantium cannot be restored/recreated (and, consequently, neither can the Roman empire).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's also just a plain simple way to make the leap from king to emperor, comparatively speaking.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i really have to unsiege land for the guy rebelling against me to send a peace deal at 100% warscore. come on

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Started a war with Italy to reclaim Papal lands and the Pope joined on Italy’s excommunicated ruler’s side, so that’s cool.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

oddium posted:

i really have to unsiege land for the guy rebelling against me to send a peace deal at 100% warscore. come on

Urgh, I know, right? I had to do that yesterday. I'd prefer it if you either inherited their war OR, better yet, their war simply ends due to 'invalid target' or whatever. (Which would be preferable, for me. I mean, that kind of outcome seems to happen to ME regularly enough, so why shouldn't the AI lose out, too? :v:)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Honky Dong Country posted:

If polygamy/concubines aren't a thing for you and you can reform you should get it. Polygamy/concubines in a merchant republic is just beautiful.

Alternatively take the seduction focus and gently caress everybody's wives.

Yeah it has polygamy (4 wives, and all of them wanna kill each other... yay..?) unfortunately I got almost 0 benefit from them.

I'm 67 years old and have 22 children.

19 of them are women. And one of my sons ran off to an Adventurer Invasion Thing and lost and died.

In better news, my designated heir is a Genius Brilliant Strategist with Robust, Berseker, and Viking, I think because I had a quest to invite him into the Wolf Lodge. He also has 4 sons.

And only 9 stewardship to go with his 34 martial. Why are these people merchants again?

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 24, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm 67 years old and have 22 children.

19 of them are women. And one of my sons ran off to an Adventurer Invasion Thing and lost and died.

lol godamn

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

If polygamy/concubines aren't a thing for you and you can reform you should get it. Polygamy/concubines in a merchant republic is just beautiful.

Multiple wives in a republic is pretty much cheating it's so powerful.

Alternatively take the seduction focus and gently caress everybody's wives.

Fixed.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I paused at 70 years old to ask a few questions before I die: how crippling is losing control for a bit? Do I keep my retinue? Can I still expand? I'm pretty sure I'm about to die and one of the other patricians has 1200 on me, and I dont have the gold to make up for that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I paused at 70 years old to ask a few questions before I die: how crippling is losing control for a bit? Do I keep my retinue? Can I still expand? I'm pretty sure I'm about to die and one of the other patricians has 1200 on me, and I dont have the gold to make up for that.

Yeah, you keep your retinue, etc. Your income will likely drop a bit and you'll lose control over the capital city (not over any other holdings you might have, though) but that's about it. I like letting the AI have a turn now and again, and going back to manipulating things behind the scenes instead.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
You do gain less money, but it's actually got an advantage: You can plot to take over other people's trade posts! You can't do that as the doge or equivalent.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

One last question: Himalayan Mountaineer retinue. Good or pass and grab generics? My randomized world stuck me with Tibet equivalent.

Honestly, randomized world has been a trip thus far. Christianity equivalent is at 0 moral authority. Orthodox equivalent and byzantine empire equivalent spawned in India. Muslims are in the UK and france, while zoroastrianism is in africa and the middle east is all tengri.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 24, 2019

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just noticed that exclave independence rule. Does anyone play with that? Which setting is best? It seems like a good rule, to break up some of the more absurd, far reaching exclaves, like the landlocked parts of the HRE in Abyssinia and the Levant that have existed for centuries in my current game

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I just noticed that exclave independence rule. Does anyone play with that? Which setting is best? It seems like a good rule, to break up some of the more absurd, far reaching exclaves, like the landlocked parts of the HRE in Abyssinia and the Levant that have existed for centuries in my current game

I almost always have it on at the highest setting. It just helps prevent border gore.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm gonna try it next game. One question though: The way I understand it, it affects independent rulers, so if I'm king of France and I have a vassal duke in Hungary, they'll go independent, or if I rule the lands directly, a local leader will rise up and become independent, right? But what if that duchy is owned by my vassal, the duke of Burdgundy? He's not independent, does it still break away from him?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

so if i have the title kingdom of vladimir, and the duchy of estonia de jure drifts out of the kingdom of estonia, the title of which doesn't exist, and into the kingdom of vladimir, is that good for me. am i making more money from that at all

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

It's not really significant. It means that if someone were to form the kingdom of Estonia they wouldn't have de jure claims on you. Also it means that if you form an empire and give away Vladimir to a vassal, the duchy of Estonia would be under that guy.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

KittyEmpress posted:

Murder the other election candidates. Using money in an election is a last resort imo.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I'm gonna try it next game. One question though: The way I understand it, it affects independent rulers, so if I'm king of France and I have a vassal duke in Hungary, they'll go independent, or if I rule the lands directly, a local leader will rise up and become independent, right? But what if that duchy is owned by my vassal, the duke of Burdgundy? He's not independent, does it still break away from him?

Yes, if the top tier title holder has no connection to the province(s) they will become independent, no matter who owns the land. If its all the land a person owns, they become independent, but if it's just random land someone else owns a random local rises up.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

KittyEmpress posted:

One last question: Himalayan Mountaineer retinue. Good or pass and grab generics? My randomized world stuck me with Tibet equivalent.

It's surprisingly powerful because of the massive bonuses to light infantry stats and the general greatness of light cavalry. If you're Tibetan, the general play is to use them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

KittyEmpress posted:

Last time I did half my kingdoms rose in successful rebellions and got annexed by random pagan raiders, which took about another 70 years to clear up.

It wasn't even the lack of money, my heir just wasn't old enough since all of my older heirs got assasinated.

After my heir grew up I killed the current ruler in turn, took about a decade to manage it though, it's not easy to kill your liege.

You do keep your retinue and can still expand your personal holdings however. Though your income will nosedive hard.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's not so bad a dive in income if you've used your time as Doge to gain control of several holdings. I mean it still sucks but if you've got a bunch of cities in addition to your trade network you can still bring in a decent living.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there any way to re-embark onto ships once they've landed on enemy territory without running back to friendly territory?

This would seem like an important detail if I wanted to raid to/from England.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there any way to re-embark onto ships once they've landed on enemy territory without running back to friendly territory?

This would seem like an important detail if I wanted to raid to/from England.

Select the army and right-click on the boats.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Well, after waaay too many hours in this game I had something new happen last night. My ruler had picked up Lunatic somewhere along the way, but was otherwise pretty good; a fair, wise emperor who just occasionally turned into a wolf and killed people. The "ritual hunt" event fired, and my guy figured out they were actually hunting him, though the rest of the party didn't know that yet. Being a decisive man, he turned into a wolf and killed them all, and no one was any the wiser :allears:

Bön is pretty fun, just wish there was more than one society to join. I reformed with the Unyielding/Meritocracy/Divine Marriage/Temporal combo someone suggested a few pages back, and it's been a blast so far. My vassals are starting to get hella inbred, might actually play this one til endgame to see how terrible I can make things.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So I've been working more on a Venice run I started earlier. I think I posted about it a few pages back, but the Byzantines had managed to seize Italy and had already successfully embargoed me once. So I had decided that if I can't beat them, then I'll join them. Not long after swearing fealty the Basileus outlawed vassal wars, which kind of sucked, but I had a strong income and control of every city and castle in Venice itself as well as a few territories in Greece and northern Sicily. So I invested in my holdings, particularly in Venice. Before long I'd become powerful enough to be able to raise 22,000 men, including my 7,000 man retinue. I could raise 2/3 as many troops as the Basileus could. But before I could figure out a way to break away, my doge died without the election secured. So I spent a long period as an extremely powerful patrician. I could still raise a shitload of troops and pull in a good amount of money so the Doge was little more than a figurehead. Eventually I managed to kill the doge and get my own man back in power, though he was already nearing fifty. I concentrated all my efforts on getting the elections under complete control through blood and money, and eventually got an extremely young Most Serene Doge Durante in power.

This guy has had an amazing career. I got him hard into the Benedictines and the theology focus, loading him up with virtuous traits. Once again I was able to raise over twenty thousand troops and was pulling in piles of money. I refused council positions so that I could set up an independence faction, but nobody would join. So I spent a few hundred on buying a favor with the Queen of Italy at the time, who had a large enough army that just between the two of us we could take on the Basileus. I waiting for him to get himself tangled up with muslims in a war, forced the Queen to join my faction, and immediately demanded independence. The Basileus refused, of course, and I beat the tar out of him. So me and Italy break off, with me taking most of Epirus, half of Achaia, and all of Abruzzo with me. Not long after the crusades begin and I use the first one to gain control of half of Aquitaine. I then get the pope to grant me a claim on Sardinia and take it as well. By now I'm crowding my vassal limit a bit because of centralization. So after helping a Frankish lad take Jerusalem in a children's crusade, I build a silk road trade post in Jaffa while it's still open for the taking, marry a family member to the new King of Jerusalem to secure an alliance with him to shield him from the Islamic world, and with my Republics of Venice, Corsica and Sardinia, and Epirus, form the custom Principality of Venice.

Grand Prince Durante the Missionary is now 47, and in his lifetime has secured the independence of the republic from Byzantium, successfully crusaded for Aquitaine, ensured the success of a children's crusade for Jerusalem (afterward taking advantage of it to get a small hold on the Silk Road) and founded an empire. Not bad!

I've also since starting this game managed to get my hands on a true cross nail, saint peter's bones, the crown of thorns, and jesus' foreskin. Plus my last doge was made a saint though unfortunately that bloodline is barely hanging on despite my best efforts to get them breeding. That bloodline's not very good though, just piety gain and quicker culture conversion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crow Jane posted:

Well, after waaay too many hours in this game I had something new happen last night. My ruler had picked up Lunatic somewhere along the way, but was otherwise pretty good; a fair, wise emperor who just occasionally turned into a wolf and killed people. The "ritual hunt" event fired, and my guy figured out they were actually hunting him, though the rest of the party didn't know that yet. Being a decisive man, he turned into a wolf and killed them all, and no one was any the wiser :allears:

Bön is pretty fun, just wish there was more than one society to join. I reformed with the Unyielding/Meritocracy/Divine Marriage/Temporal combo someone suggested a few pages back, and it's been a blast so far. My vassals are starting to get hella inbred, might actually play this one til endgame to see how terrible I can make things.

In most of my pagan games, I reform the religion with astrology, precisely so that I can join the Hermetics and am not always forced to go into the warrior lodge if I want my character to join a society.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Crow Jane posted:

Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury - starting to get hella inbred

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

That's the funniest part about divine marriage imo. If you're careful you can game the system with sham marriages to old relatives and breed safely through concubines and stuff while your vassals all turn into horrible mutants.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Enjoying the food shortage event while I’m a cannibal and getting to eat anybody I find breaking into the food stores.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

KDdidit posted:

Enjoying the food shortage event while I’m a cannibal and getting to eat anybody I find breaking into the food stores.

I usually don't do this unless I'm already possessed or a lunatic. You have to be a cannibal and one of those in order to eat people in any other situation. Without being able to eat prisoners I don't find the opinion malus of cannibal to be worth it. At least when you can devour prisoners you can occasionally pick up some of their traits as a result. I once ate a shieldmaiden and picked up like three virtuous traits it was great. Pretty sure it can work for obtaining immortality by eating an immortal too.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I’m eyeballing a “revive Hellenic paganism in Greece” run using the Count of Monemvasia in 769, and could use some pointers on being a successful Byzantine vassal without actually taking over Byzantium.

My previous couple games have all started as independent kings/dukes, and I’m staring in horror at the mess that is Byzantium, its viceroyalties, and its bizarro succession, and wondering what I should be focusing on. I originally thought I’d like to accumulate titles and power within Byzantium, conquer the neighboring Slavic regions, and spread the secret cult while waiting for Byzantium to collapse or fragment sufficiently to grab the holy sites and start a reformation. But this viceroyalties thing seems highly inconvenient, which I imagine is the whole idea, historically. I’d rather not marry-gently caress-kill my way to the throne of Byzantium, because being thrust into hellwar with the Abbasids is not what I’m here for. Any suggestions?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My Ireland run took a pretty fantastic turn when I came out as the primary contributor of the Crusade despite my army never reaching the Holy Land (thank you AI for counter-invading Rome), and my eldest daughter was made Queen of Jerusalem. I switched over to her and was either fighting or getting ready to fight pretty much every step. Her personal combat stat was well above 100, even after hitting old age.

A second crusade was called for Egypt. Nice, I had just finished roughing up the Fatimids, so they were ripe for a second rear end-kicking. But then the Crusade got re-directed to Byzantium! The Byzantines had been doing pretty well and had even been helping me in Egypt. But when the crusade hit, the Empire just exploded into a dozen components. And even though I didn't make it to Constantinople, I was still the main contributor.

I didn't switch over, but if I did I totally would have changed Constantinople's name to "Eirestanbul".

It was also around this time that I noticed that my ruler's birthday was December 25.

In summary it was a near-ideal run marred only by her death being the result of the court physician cutting her leg off to treat her cold. (and I was at war at the time so my head-cannon is troops made sure to tell a better story after pushing the doctor off a parapet.)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kestral posted:

I’m eyeballing a “revive Hellenic paganism in Greece” run using the Count of Monemvasia in 769, and could use some pointers on being a successful Byzantine vassal without actually taking over Byzantium.

My previous couple games have all started as independent kings/dukes, and I’m staring in horror at the mess that is Byzantium, its viceroyalties, and its bizarro succession, and wondering what I should be focusing on. I originally thought I’d like to accumulate titles and power within Byzantium, conquer the neighboring Slavic regions, and spread the secret cult while waiting for Byzantium to collapse or fragment sufficiently to grab the holy sites and start a reformation. But this viceroyalties thing seems highly inconvenient, which I imagine is the whole idea, historically. I’d rather not marry-gently caress-kill my way to the throne of Byzantium, because being thrust into hellwar with the Abbasids is not what I’m here for. Any suggestions?

Honestly if you wanna go Hellenic I don't know why you wouldn't want to go full on Byzantine and work your way up to Basileus. Their succession really isn't that bizarre and it's extremely easy to manipulate in your favor. As for viceroyalties, they can be a bit of a bitch if you're a vassal because your highest titles may be viceroyalties that your heir maybe won't be granted after you die, but for a ruler viceroyalties are amazing. Every time a viceroy dies you clean house within that duchy/kingdom and then grant the viceroy title to whoever in there likes you best and is hopefully content and boom, they'll love you for giving them that title for a good long while.

But if you're not looking to get on the throne, just do what you'd do as a vassal anywhere else. Conspire to steal your fellow vassals' lands. Try to continually force the basileus to grant more council power. That kind of thing. But there's a good chance that the empire might not collapse depending on your start date. Since you mentioned Abbasids I'm assuming you're referring to earlier start dates, in which case the Byzantines usually have to gently caress up pretty badly to mess up their sweet blobbed up situation (and they're often more than capable to standing up to the Abbasids). Mostly they just have civil wars and change leadership a bunch while still growing. But I suppose you could try to get an independence faction to succeed, which is totally doable.

Iunno man I guess I'm just not understanding exactly what you're going for.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Kestral posted:

To avoid those viceroyalty laws as a vassal, you'll need to create a duchy/kingdom title yourself. It's usually easiest to expand outside the Empire's borders to accomplish this, but sometimes there's an uncreated title within the Empire for whatever reason.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I've finally had my first beatified ruler, immediately followed by my first canonised ruler!

So yeah, KingBlessed King Halsten the Scholar was originally a norse king of the western Mediterranean islands (centred around Sardinia, which was the capital) but a little while after he gained the crown he allowed a Christian cardinal to access his lands and spread the word of God. So, one thing led to another and him, his family and many other norsemen converted to Christianity - followed by Halsten holding a grand feast and a tournament in celebration. He was also crowned by the Pope himself, during this month of celebration.
(EDIT: Halsten also discovered that the world is round which, much to the chagrin of the church, he published. So I would like to believe that the 'pissed off the church' modifier he received for this was a factor in the AI's decision to not canonize him. Since he was otherwise a very pious man, who gave a lot to the church)

But anyway, when he later died his son Asbjorn (who was probably around five years old, when the mass conversion occurred) inherited. It seemed like he'd be a sinful, scheming and adulterous ruler - due to his education in intrigue and behaviour while under AI control. (And honestly, I fully intended on continuing with that! The little 'schemer's moustache' he had by default helped that image, too) However after his father was beatified, he shed all his bad traits and started to become a rather pious man.

Contrary to Halsten's rather peaceful reign, Asbjorn's main events in his life revolved around war. Not long after his father was beatified and he was crowned by the Pope (in exchange for returning the Holy Prepuce, which one of his ancestors took from Rome during a raid) a Crusade was called - for Thrace, no less. Since the Byzantine Empire was shattered during the second Crusade - and eventually, Slavic pagans overran the Latin Empire, which prompted this Crusade. (Additionally, the first Crusade was won/averted? by the Peasant's Crusade; and those peasants still hold Jerusalem and most of Arabia to this day)
So what did Asbjorn do? In order to prove his peoples' loyalty to God, he sailed over and dominated the battlefield. Thanks to his actions, the Crusade was won - and he was given piles of treasure (as well as the nickname 'the Sword of God') by the Pope in return.

Directly after this though, two Jihads -one Sunni, one Shia- were declared on him one after the other. He managed to fend them off though, and had a few years of peace to allow for his levies to be replenished...But well, the next Pope clearly felt he had to make a name for himself, so he declared a Crusade on Egypt, which Asbjorn also won for the Pope. This time though, instead of allowing the Pope to dole it out to a random noble he liked, Asbjorn designated his own wife (who uh, was also his niece...who was also like, 20 years younger than him) as the recipient of the new Christian Kingdom.

Here's a screenshot of my shiny new saint. He ended up having every single virtue, and founded two bloodlines; one from being a saint, as well as one for winning multiple Crusades. Not too shabby, really! I quite like the addition of bloodlines and sainthood, in Holy Fury.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 27, 2019

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Honestly if you wanna go Hellenic I don't know why you wouldn't want to go full on Byzantine and work your way up to Basileus. [...]

Iunno man I guess I'm just not understanding exactly what you're going for.

That’s my fault, I’m new to CK2 and don’t have the language yet to describe it. But yes, an independence faction actually sounds great! Positioning myself to break away from the empire while it’s busy with other things would be ideal. I’d much rather contribute to the fall of Byzantium and build something new out of the ashes than step into the shell and try to wrestle it into my image. The story of a Hellenic revival uprising that rips Greece away from Byzantium is very much my jam.

Thanks for the straightforward advice – this is my first time as a vassal, so even the basic stuff isn’t what I’m used to thinking about.

No Pants posted:

To avoid those viceroyalty laws as a vassal, you'll need to create a duchy/kingdom title yourself. It's usually easiest to expand outside the Empire's borders to accomplish this, but sometimes there's an uncreated title within the Empire for whatever reason.

Ahh, so ones you create for yourself don't get snapped up by the Basileus? Clever, that makes the map much more promising.

Do single-province counts tend to rely on mercenaries to press those early claims? Seems tough to muster an army large enough to take on your neighbors.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Basking in everyone’s weekend ck2 stories right now.

I’ve been playing as this guy from the 867 start so far and it’s been fun playing with elective monarchy with such a small dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So did anyone else know that if a peasant revolt captures your capital holding, they'll instantly butcher your whole court including any and all of your close family members and consort, cause I sure didn't