Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
EDIT: /\/\/\ Holy GRAP that's good! Awesome!

How about Crimson Rosellas? Do they get some love, too?

Charlie releasing a Crimson Rosella by Martin Brummell, on Flickr (click to go to my Flickr and play the video, or tell me how to make this appear as a playable video on SA)

My wife found this one walking around, rather than flying, near the Natural History Museum on campus. We've done the basic training as Wildlife Carers so she knew what to do - carefully grab the bird, find a box, give it a rest in a nice dark, quiet place. We got some advice from the person who usually has a joey under her desk, and decided to try releasing the bird before lunch; if it had not gone well we had a plan in place to take the bird to a vet. Not needed, though!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

That's just unreal!

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Ummm.... thats kinda alright....

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

toggle posted:

That's just unreal!

Oh gently caress lol I commented about editing on your r/photocritique thread.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

Oh gently caress lol I commented about editing on your r/photocritique thread.

Ha ha small world. Yeah I haven’t really gotten a chance to get in and do a lot of editing since I have been traveling and have been just airdropping them to my phone and editing with Lightroom Mobile. Definitely need to get in and work with the RAWs. Never really worked with birds or wildlife photography so definitely going to be a learning experience.

I got a few other hummingbirds but they were just hovering and weren’t nearly as good. I haven’t gotten a chance to really edit them much but here they are

Swarmin Swedes fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 15, 2019

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Just a buncha little jewels. :allears: I love these so much.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Swarmin Swedes posted:

Ha ha small world. Yeah I haven’t really gotten a chance to get in and do a lot of editing since I have been traveling and have been just airdropping them to my phone and editing with Lightroom Mobile. Definitely need to get in and work with the RAWs. Never really worked with birds or wildlife photography so definitely going to be a learning experience.

I got a few other hummingbirds but they were just hovering and weren’t nearly as good. I haven’t gotten a chance to really edit them much but here they are

great set, hummingbirds and birds of paradise are the epitome of exotic.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
We have some of these weird looking emo Seagulls living at a pond in downtown Montreal.

Pond Cormorant

Pond Cormorant

Sauer fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 16, 2019

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some birds from a trip to Disney a few weeks ago.

Bird
Plum-Headed Parakeet
Purple Glossy Starling
Macaw

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
It's not exactly a challenging or difficult or even good photo, but there is nothing like wandering our plot with my daughter and looking across to see an ostrich flailing about awkwardly.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Its making the sexy eyes at you. Dare you disappoint it?

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Sauer posted:

Its making the sexy eyes at you. Dare you disappoint it?

My daughter was watching man! That ostrich had the worst timing I tell you.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nikon 200-500 is great. But really heavy..

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

toggle posted:

Nikon 200-500 is great. But really heavy..

Yeah, I have that one and the 500PF and it's a world of difference when you're out shooting for a day.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Tui by Marc, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
super jealous of all the hummingbird pics, most of the ones I see are out in the prairie where I can't get close enough for a decent picture

So I started using my speedlight as a fill flash since most stuff wants to sit in the shade here but it seems kind of anemic, is there some high power HSS flash people are using for small bird pics?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
https://store.naturescapes.net/better-beamer-flash-extender-compatibility-chart/

Most use flash extenders with a decent godox speedlite.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ON9AAwAt0

I just remembered this sequence of photos I took a while ago, non the shots were usable due to bad settings and distance, but I got some sweet Harrier on Shelduck action.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Spring here

Silvereye in blossom by Marc, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
^^^^ really nice

This came out better than expected from shooting through my dirty-rear end kitchen window.

Coopers Hawk-9745 by on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Raikyn posted:

Spring here

Hell yeah nice.

Also what's it like running around with that 600 f/4?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Atlatl posted:

Hell yeah nice.

Also what's it like running around with that 600 f/4?

You kinda get used to it, bit heavy so can't hold still for extended periods but not too bad.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Raikyn posted:

Spring here

This is really nice. How long does it take to get an interesting bird in a good composition like this?

I saw some Rosy-faced Lovebirds for the first time this weekend! They're native to Africa and were brought to the U.S. as pets, but now several thousand live and breed in the wild in Phoenix. Apparently, the population has been growing for the past 25 years, and Phoenix is one of the only places in the U.S. where wild populations live. So despite the >100 degree temperatures, I got to see these goofy parrots hanging out in a palm tree, flying around, and squeaking loudly.

Completely missed the focus on this one, but I still kind of like it.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
San Diego Zoo, California

Teveta Golden Weaver
by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

Palm Cockatoo
by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
This is awesome.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Got my lifer Great Gray in Yellowstone last week!

Great Gray Owl-0765 on Flickr

and then the next day another one!

Great Gray number 2-1193 on Flickr

e: and some Dusky Grouse

Dusky Grouse-6500 on Flickr

Dusky Grouse-6392 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 29, 2019

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

God I love grouse.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

What great birds! That Palm Cockatoo is amazing, and those Grouse are goofy (in a good way).

A Townsend's Warbler, looking overheated in Phoenix a couple weeks ago:

A Wilson's Warbler:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

What great birds! That Palm Cockatoo is amazing, and those Grouse are goofy (in a good way).

A Townsend's Warbler, looking overheated in Phoenix a couple weeks ago:

A Wilson's Warbler:

Those Wilson's are really nice.

The grouse were super fun! I don't have much experience with this species but they are definitely irrationally bold near people. They were next to a busy trail (the one from Fairy Falls to the Grand Prismatic overlook) First batch was a mom watching over old-ish babies. She walked towards me vocalizing I think to distract me from the kids. Then some lady went right up to one of the young in the grass, and the mom went into a "hide, stay down" voc where she got really low to the ground. Next little flock down the path seemed to be adults. Me and a few people were photographing some maybe 20 feet from the trail, and then I realized there was one literally right under the wooden fence maybe 3 feet away just doing it's thing

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Gannet by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Does he see me?? by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Bought a canon 100-400 lens, replacing my ancient 400 5.6L.
Pretty similar @400m but one less lens in the bag hopefully as on most trips I can leave the 70-200 behind

I don't know though. I love my old 400 5.6L

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Original or MkII?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 IS II

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Adventures at 6400ISO on Canon...

Wilcat Parking Lot Owl-2995 on Flickr

Actually I'm pretty psyched about this photo. There were owls here yesterday but it was so dark photos were pretty impossible. Took a chance they might stage into the same tree and came back today a lot earlier, and they actually cooperated!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Adventures at 6400ISO on Canon...

Wilcat Parking Lot Owl-2995 on Flickr

Actually I'm pretty psyched about this photo. There were owls here yesterday but it was so dark photos were pretty impossible. Took a chance they might stage into the same tree and came back today a lot earlier, and they actually cooperated!

Nice shot but oof that grain. I'd try a denoise mask on the background.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
forum barfed

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Waterbirb: