Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arist posted:

I'm about to hit the timeskip I think and I still have a few Paralogues left but I realized that if I instead spend all my free time in this month on pushing Reason and Heavy Armor I can get Annette and Ferdinand, which would give me every student but Linhardt and Ashe (who I don't have enough time to get because I neglected Lance and haven't been getting points with them). There's little reason to care about the Paralogues over new units though, right?

If you're not interested in the little charcater moments and extra exp and just, more maps, in general, Paralogues usually give a number of good weapons, items and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

rannum posted:

If you're not interested in the little charcater moments and extra exp and just, more maps, in general, Paralogues usually give a number of good weapons, items and money.

note that you might get new character moments with them when you meet them on the enemy team later

and then you murder them

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ferdinand will also unlock a paralogue in pt 2 while Annette won't. Lindhardt also would and his paralogue with Leonie is weirdly lore intensive even if it just gets Leonie a mediocre relic bow.

Annette's paralogue is only on Blue Lions and you already missed Ashe's so he's pretty safe to skip

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The ones I have are for Ashe and Catherine (don't have, don't really use that much), Felix (who I use a little), and Seteth and Flayn (who I also use a little). I'm not sure weapons for them will be that worth it, especially because I also made the mistake of picking Normal so there's really very little challenge here. Also I got money falling out of my rear end, so that's not a huge concern.

e: Also I'm like 3 points away from C in Reason so I'd get Annette anyway.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arist posted:

The ones I have are for Ashe and Catherine (don't have, don't really use that much), Felix (who I use a little), and Seteth and Flayn (who I also use a little). I'm not sure weapons for them will be that worth it, especially because I also made the mistake of picking Normal so there's really very little challenge here. Also I got money falling out of my rear end, so that's not a huge concern.

Seteth and Flayn gives two holy relics, one of which is a staff that does +1 magic range, and the other is an A rank spear with anti-horse

Oh, and as they are holy, not hero, relics, they have no crest requirements. (Though might give a bonus with a matching crest).

Also kinda important backstory-wise.

Felix's gives a shield for him.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arist posted:

Catherine's paralogue gets you Boots
Flayn's paralogue gets you a staff that increases magic range by 1

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

OddObserver posted:

Oh, and as they are holy, not hero, relics, they have no crest requirements. (Though might give a bonus with a matching crest).

From what I understand, the holy relics (the non-accessory ones, anyway) always give the Renewal effect, crest or no crest - it's just that having the corresponding crest gives better healing.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

rannum posted:

well, gilbert's supply run is the first quest I'll probably have to fail because I just cannot get a silverfish to spawn
Between this and my nearly fruitless search for Hubert's Silverfish (which required well over 100 bait that I went through nearly entirely THREE TIMES on multi-fish day) I feel like there had to be some miscommunication between designers on how common this stupid thing is supposed to be.

Maybe you're too good at fishing? I think to get silverfish from sparkling shadows you need to either be using low level bait, not get a perfect, or ideally both.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Seteth and Flayn gives two holy relics, one of which is a staff that does +1 magic range, and the other is an A rank spear with anti-horse

Felix's gives a shield for him.

As an additional note anyone with a crest can use any crest weapon, it doesn't need to be the same crest.

Like, Byleth can user Felix's shield no problem if you want her to or give Felix Thunderbrand.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 25, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Lowkey hoping Lunatic drops soon, since after getting a feel of the mechanics and stuff I feel like I wanna restart and make better choices, but I can't justify that when the game also doesn't seem hard enough to need that much optimization

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

Lowkey hoping Lunatic drops soon, since after getting a feel of the mechanics and stuff I feel like I wanna restart and make better choices, but I can't justify that when the game also doesn't seem hard enough to need that much optimization

On my second playthrough I'm limiting my gambit usage to monsters, not using warp and not using a dancer. Keeps the game reasonably fun. I'm also using the less good units a lot more since the EXP statue bonuses make me rotate units a ton to not get overleveled but that's more of a NG+ thing in general.

It's still really easy but at least now I'm not invalidating all the map gimmicks.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 25, 2019

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i already knew that ingrid and dorothea's paralogue shares its map with ailell from golden deer chapter 14

which is on the eastern edge of ingrid's family's territory so i guess there's something about that clusterfuck of a paralogue which makes sense

It also shares a map with BL route. Also the Gronder field one and the first chapter after time skip. And GD and church route share further 4 missions. It seems about half of the chapters after time skip are shared between the routes?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Maybe you're too good at fishing? I think to get silverfish from sparkling shadows you need to either be using low level bait, not get a perfect, or ideally both.

I'm not 100% sure perfects matter, but at the very least I've definitely flubbed getting perfects on them more than I've gotten perfects and even then I usually get golds or above. Maybe I'll try losing more health or something if it actually does matter
And boy howdy you would think low level bait would be the trick but the nightmare that was the hubert grinding session resulted in more golds than not.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

not a bot posted:

It also shares a map with BL route. Also the Gronder field one and the first chapter after time skip. And GD and church route share further 4 missions. It seems about half of the chapters after time skip are shared between the routes?

Yeah. Not being able to recycle maps as easily is probably a big factor in the Edelgard route having 4 fewer maps than the Deer or the Lions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. Not being able to recycle maps as easily is probably a big factor in the Edelgard route having 4 fewer maps than the Deer or the Lions.

If they can have the Ingrid paralogue in the fire land they can do anything

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Andrast posted:

If they can have the Ingrid paralogue in the fire land they can do anything

God I love that whole set up

'My dad sent me another suitor

'Ugh, I know this guy from when I was in the Opera and he really sucks'

*Scene missing*

'now we've finally cornered one of his flunkeys in this active volcano'

'Yes, now you will never need to marry the dude who sucks a lot. Because by murdering his underlings doing bad stuff in a volcano we win?'

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 25, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

God I love that whole set up

'My dad sent me another suitor

'Ugh, I know this guy from when I was in the Opera and he really sucks'

*Scene missing*

'now we've finally cornered one of his flunkeys in this active volcano to prove something I guess?'

Can't argue with results

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, it's more like 'we must escape to give this evidence to Ingrid's father and to prevent the bad guy's flunkies from kidnapping Ingrid because that will make her father want to marry her off I guess'.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

In fairness isn't the volcano actually a plain that's just always on fire (with lava pools...dont worry about it) and like just north of the monastery

I mean that's ridiculous in an entirely different way but I can see the weird investigation stake out winding up there by happenstance instead of "oh btw we went to a volcano"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

One of my friends was telling me how bad Lyithea was and I was like wait what that makes no sense

His has, in the high 20s - less than 30HP and THREE defense. THREE

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

One of my friends was telling me how bad Lyithea was and I was like wait what that makes no sense

That's how much she starts with. Did he never class change at advanced?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Why is their Lysithea getting hit by anything

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

McTimmy posted:

That's how much she starts with. Did he never class change at advanced?

Yeah that's weird

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bishop and warlock have 12 base defense, she should never have less than that in the 20s

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, there's kinda no excuse for a Lysithea in the high 20's to not be in an Advanced Class (probably warlock). At the rate she gains weapon skills, if she's been using Reason (like she SHOULD be), then I guarantee it's hit A-rank by then. And that's if you wait for the exam to be a guaranteed pass. Like, legit ask him why he hasn't made her a Warlock yet.

Andrast posted:

Why is their Lysithea getting hit by anything

Also this. Give her Lorenz's Relic and she can nuke people (and I emphasize the word "nuke") from four tiles away. Let's face it, she gets better use out of it than he does.

(Seriously though, Nuke is the right word. Get her Reason skill up to B fast, and she one-shots the Death Knight with Dark Spikes. There's a reason people joke that he's terrified of her.)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 25, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Does murdering Ingrid with Dorothea get any unique lines

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Tired Moritz posted:

Does murdering Ingrid with Dorothea get any unique lines

Only one way to find out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually prefer Lysithea in bishop to warlock. Double black magic doesn't benefit her at all but double white magic means double warp

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I actually prefer Lysithea in bishop to warlock. Double black magic doesn't benefit her at all but double white magic means double warp

Yeah that seems pretty good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the Deers playthrough I just wrapped up I probably skipped most of half a dozen stages because warp is a busted rear end spell. Lysithea's combat prowess is good but ultimately not irreplaceable. 10-square warps are irreplacable and that's why I consider her the best character in the game. The fact that she has the best support and the best offense (modulo the fact that she'll have low movement so her offense is weaker in practice than a decent wyvern) is just crazy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I refuse to use warp or stride anymore because they are too broken

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 25, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
on the other hand, warpskipping is fun

can't wait for lunatic though

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

In the Deers playthrough I just wrapped up I probably skipped most of half a dozen stages because warp is a busted rear end spell. Lysithea's combat prowess is good but ultimately not irreplaceable. 10-square warps are irreplacable and that's why I consider her the best character in the game. The fact that she has the best support and the best offense (modulo the fact that she'll have low movement so her offense is weaker in practice than a decent wyvern) is just crazy

Sounds like a problem with a solution.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Offensively I think I prefer Hubert to Lysithea since he gets 3 range spells naturally. It's definitely the warp that makes Lysithea better.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm one of those OCD Dimitri "Kill every last one of them!" types, so Warpskipping maps by just plopping a dude next to the boss and murdering him on a "Defeat commander" map is basically unthinkable to me. Only time I've ever deliberately ended the chapter like that when there was still stuff to kill was in Marianne's paralogue, where I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed, and was thinking "There's loving MORE of the things?!"

Warping a thief or person with chest keys across the map to get at a precious, precious chest though? Now THAT'S fair game. I generally don't get as much use out of warp/rescue though, simply because of my style of a slow march of death across the map, obliterating everything in my path.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Andrast posted:

Offensively I think I prefer Hubert to Lysithea since he gets 3 range spells naturally. It's definitely the warp that makes Lysithea better.

On the other hand, Hubert will have offense issues against high-res enemies. Lysithea having luna means that she has no bad matchups, she can kill any non-boss. You get a range+1 equipment on every route regardless of how you poach (the range+2 item requires a specific paralogue so you'll get it naturally on Deer but if Lysithea herself is a poach you might not get it) so your favored mage will have decent range regardless of their spell list. Admittedly, having 3 range without being your favored mage is a point in Hubert's favor.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BlazetheInferno posted:

Warping a thief or person with chest keys across the map to get at a precious, precious chest though? Now THAT'S fair game. I generally don't get as much use out of warp/rescue though, simply because of my style of a slow march of death across the map, obliterating everything in my path.

Many of the best uses of rescue are compatible with murderballing. I think over half my uses of rescue in my most recent playthrough were just a pseudo-dance where Flayn moves first to add her movement to the rescue target. Sniping a key enemy and rescuing the person back to safety was most of the rest of the uses. (The remainder were non-murderball-compatible strats)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

On the other hand, Hubert will have offense issues against high-res enemies. Lysithea having luna means that she has no bad matchups, she can kill any non-boss. You get a range+1 equipment on every route regardless of how you poach (the range+2 item requires a specific paralogue so you'll get it naturally on Deer but if Lysithea herself is a poach you might not get it) so your favored mage will have decent range regardless of their spell list. Admittedly, having 3 range without being your favored mage is a point in Hubert's favor.

I will totally poach Lorenz in every playthrough just to get that dumb staff. It's a shame that Hubert doesn't have a crest (until NG+ at least) because a consistent 5-range mage would be fun.

That's true about Luna though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 25, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Because I did BE-E first, when it came to New Game+ and I saw all those crest items, I thought I literally just learned about what implanting crests does to a person, no way am I doing that to my students!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gluten Freeman posted:

Because I did BE-E first, when it came to New Game+ and I saw all those crest items, I thought I literally just learned about what implanting crests does to a person, no way am I doing that to my students!!

They can just take it off :colbert: