Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

He's got a regular column, for sure. Dracule "Hawk Eyes" Mihawk is the Andy Rooney of the One Piece universe, but for swords.

Tashigi fills in from time to time, but every column she rights ends up in a rant about bad people having pretty swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They call him hawkeye because he spots good swords from miles away. Itd be funny if he turns out to be a bigger sword (and wine) nerd than Tashigi

"Finely forged, however the grain patterns indicate this is a sword for finer work rather than brute force, which it would crack then break under. Pair with a good West Blue Merlot. Remember, a good swordsman is habitually drunk."

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They call him hawkeye because he spots good swords from miles away. Itd be funny if he turns out to be a bigger sword (and wine) nerd than Tashigi

"Finely forged, however the grain patterns indicate this is a sword for finer work rather than brute force, which it would crack then break under. Pair with a good West Blue Merlot. Remember, a good swordsman is habitually drunk."

No joke, one of the low key best moments in the series was when Mihawk casually walked up to Shanks to discuss Luffy's bounty and Shank's and his main crew don't even react like it's not a big deal and not worth them even getting up for. After what we'd seen of Mihawk, that scene just sold how badass Shanks and crew were.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gyges posted:

It'll be broken as penance for the two swords of Zoro's it broke.

This would own so hard.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Gyges posted:

Tashigi fills in from time to time, but every column she rights ends up in a rant about bad people having pretty swords.

You keep using words like "phigure" and "momeitos", you make numerous threatening references to the Pirate Alliance, and at the end you repeat the words "Screw Roronoa" over and over again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tashigi's problem is obviously that she doesn't drink enough.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think I need to go back and reread this arc, I'll admit I am having a bit of trouble keeping tabs of everything and everyone at the moment. Sometimes Oda's super busy panel composition and extremely detailed artwork makes things a bit tough to keep track of the plot beads and locations of all the characters.

I know theres no going back at this point in the narrative but I do miss the simpler geographical locales that would lead into the bigger set pieces; now it's pretty much Big Set Piece GO! and muddles up my perspective at times

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You're not the only one, doesn't help that there's a ton of Japanese names that English speakers may find hard to keep track of.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I had a similar problem with Big Cake and I think it's that too many characters have similar titles(Samurai, Son #, Daughter#) and it makes it harder to keep up. Like I know who they are, but the names escape me.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im just impressed that each of these million characters that oda comes up with continue to have their own style and gimmick

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Parrotine posted:

I think I need to go back and reread this arc, I'll admit I am having a bit of trouble keeping tabs of everything and everyone at the moment. Sometimes Oda's super busy panel composition and extremely detailed artwork makes things a bit tough to keep track of the plot beads and locations of all the characters.

I know theres no going back at this point in the narrative but I do miss the simpler geographical locales that would lead into the bigger set pieces; now it's pretty much Big Set Piece GO! and muddles up my perspective at times

I've made it a point that I have to re-read Wano when it's done. I feel like anyone who's having trouble keeping up should, or right before the Big War (V.1). However, I think you should mentally be making a priority list, like "Should I bother remembering this Oniwabanshu member's name?" Probably not. It's like learning Galette's name in Whole Cake Island, it's a bonus.

But yeah I definitely need to re-read anyway, 'cause I've forgotten every yakuza boss's name except Hyougoro's. Dressrosa proved too much for me to keep up with weekly because my interest level just wasn't as high, here my interest level's much higher since the events are more interesting and more impactful to the story, so I'm able to keep up a lot better despite it definitely being more complicated.

This is also when you kinda appreciate those random background characters that love to go during fights, "AHHH! Kawamatsu just sliced Old Maid with no effort!!"

Super hyped about Enma, for sword lore and Zoro's possible upgrade (and the implications of that)!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wonder if zoro is ever going to get a sword that isnt just a samurai sword

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, no.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wonder if luffy is going to get a hat that isn't roger's

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kawamatsu is my fav samurai and I am super pumped to see him animated and voiced.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

oddium posted:

luffy has worn a lot of different hats

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

scary ghost dog posted:

Considering he's just like a samurai, any sword he gets is defacto a samurai sword.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

oddium posted:

He’s been wearing a hat that belongs to Luffy since chapter 1.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/izumickey0719/status/1165586330773884928
Monkey D. Loafy

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ah, so it's mystery bread.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dear Oda

Please do this + Color of Armaments in your big baller Kaidou fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAZtYu331g

Signed

- me

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
So... Vinsmoke Reiju confirmed playable in Pirate Warriors 4 and [/spoiler]Big Mom is heavily implied to be given they changed her size[/spoiler]... That's two new characters so far.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

So... Vinsmoke Reiju confirmed playable in Pirate Warriors 4 and [/spoiler]Big Mom is heavily implied to be given they changed her size[/spoiler]... That's two new characters so far.

Why are we spoiling Reiju when she was shown in a public trailer

The xbox youtube description even mentions that Sanji's other siblings are also playable.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
same w/ big mom

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

rannum posted:

Why are we spoiling Reiju when she was shown in a public trailer

The xbox youtube description even mentions that Sanji's other siblings are also playable.

I don't really care about this game and I probably wouldn't mind someone telling me about a playable character in a game I do care about but maybe do not decide for people what is and isn't spoilers.

A ton of trailers contain spoilers for a ton of stuff so saying "it's in the trailer, it's no spoiler" is just plain wrong. Maybe there's someone out there who deliberately didn't watch the trailer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still would be interesting if Wano having been around for so long and having a large influence on the world despite its isolationism is why most of the One Piece world and the WG in particular has Japanese cultural influences in the mix as well as the European ones, like katanas being one of the most common types of sword.

The Marines mostly take inspiration from the Imperial Japanese Navy uniform-wise, right? But the ship designs and technology are mostly loosely 16th century European naval powers. (Loosely mind, as the larger battleships have WW2-style turrets)

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Hot take: I wish the 9 scabbards were just the straw hats because the kappa is the only new character they've shown that I care about at all

Hotter take: Reiju was a shoe in but adding all the Vinsmokes as playable seems unnecessary.

Hottest take: If Barto isn't in PW4 I will cry

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Basically if any rad character that should be playable isn't, I'm blaming the additional Vinsmokes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Man with Hat posted:

I don't really care about this game and I probably wouldn't mind someone telling me about a playable character in a game I do care about but maybe do not decide for people what is and isn't spoilers.

A ton of trailers contain spoilers for a ton of stuff so saying "it's in the trailer, it's no spoiler" is just plain wrong. Maybe there's someone out there who deliberately didn't watch the trailer.

this is like complaining that you got spoiled that chun-li is a character in street fighter 5, it's nonsense

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The only non-awesome Vinsmoke (from a gameplay perspective) is Yonji because lol winch green.

Also Kawamatsu is very good but not liking Okiku?? What is up with that.

All of the akazaya nine are great but the actual best is Asura Doji, hope this helps.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Brother Entropy posted:

this is like complaining that you got spoiled that chun-li is a character in street fighter 5, it's nonsense

Yeah story trailers I get but we're talking about which established One Piece characters will be appearing amongst a cast of likely 50+

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The only non-awesome Vinsmoke (from a gameplay perspective) is Yonji because lol winch green.

Watch Yonji be the best of them all

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watch Yonji be the best of them all

if he works anything like luffy's best area clearing combo (its gum gum windmill the thing he used to throw the seacow) in pw3 he will by far be the best character for all the "do this quickly" conditions. which in turn would make him one of the best characters.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Anyone who looks at all the available playable characters, and then picks a Vinsmoke(other than Reiju) should put down the game and really examine their life.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Can I play judge and team kill my mooks?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still would be interesting if Wano having been around for so long and having a large influence on the world despite its isolationism is why most of the One Piece world and the WG in particular has Japanese cultural influences in the mix as well as the European ones, like katanas being one of the most common types of sword.

The Marines mostly take inspiration from the Imperial Japanese Navy uniform-wise, right? But the ship designs and technology are mostly loosely 16th century European naval powers. (Loosely mind, as the larger battleships have WW2-style turrets)

Navy HQ also looks pretty traditionally Japanese, in general a lot of the Navy's stuff has that vibe.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Gyges posted:

Anyone who looks at all the available playable characters, and then picks a Vinsmoke(other than Reiju) should put down the game and really examine their life.

I like Sanji :shobon:

Carrot better be playable though. Bonus points if there's a way to be Sulong.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Sakazuki has yakuza tattoos is there a chance he’s from Wano

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

JahRoo posted:

Sakazuki has yakuza tattoos is there a chance he’s from Wano

that was one of the first things to come up. in particular he has tattoos similar to someone in wano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

super sentai is cool so the vinsmokes are cool too