Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MiddleOne posted:

This show is unironically the last good thing they have.

All of those shows have run their course and im glad they're ending or have ended. I dont watch BLL so Ive got nothing there.

HBO is gonna be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In a just world HBO would have been forcefully de-commissioned for whatever war crime the latter seasons of Oz was.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

MiddleOne posted:

Silicon Valley is ending, Westworld is just straight up getting rebooted, GoT ended in a dumpster fire and lets not even talk about Big Little Lies season 2. Euphoria was ok but last few episodes were slipping and with the ending any second season is going to be skating very precariously.

This show is unironically the last good thing they have.

Your subjective opinion on Euphoria, while intriguing in its enthusiasm, is objectively wrong.

Also, we need to revisit your use of "unironically"and replace it with a word that works in context, regardless of what anyone thinks of your opinion.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

HanabaL03 posted:

Getting a vibe that Kendall is scheming something still. He knows Greg has inside info he can use against the company. Giving him a place to stay, keeping him close to get him "park coke" etc.

I'm thinking he's setting Greg up as a patsy for something. Maybe just so there is a different name on the lease of his coke den?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

HanabaL03 posted:

The only bad behavior we've ever seen from Shiv is her cheating on Tom.
I mean, let's not forget that Tom had free reign to do whatever he wanted at that party.

Of course what he wanted to do was swallow his own load, but he COULD have done more.

Speaking of which, "You should swallow something... like honey" got a legit :lol: out of me. Even the minor characters are written well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Also, we need to revisit your use of "unironically"and replace it with a word that works in context, regardless of what anyone thinks of your opinion.

We unironically don't.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I hope Shiv destroys fake rear end bernie and I feel really dirty typing that sentence.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

Your subjective opinion on Euphoria, while intriguing in its enthusiasm, is objectively wrong.

It's not cool to like things even for their small faults in TVIV, you have to be a glum hater all the time.

Euphoria was fantastic.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Also I wonder how Shiv and Roman are going to react when they find out Kendall killed a kid and that's why he's been so depressed.

I forgot, does Greg know that Kendall was the one responsible for killing that kid last season? Or is it only Logan, Marcia and the head of security that know?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

HanabaL03 posted:

Also I wonder how Shiv and Roman are going to react when they find out Kendall killed a kid and that's why he's been so depressed.

Laugh at him I assume.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

MiddleOne posted:

We unironically don't.

InigoMontoya.gif

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Matt Zerella posted:

It's not cool to like things even for their small faults in TVIV, you have to be a glum hater all the time.

Euphoria was fantastic.

Hell yeah it was. Going from it to Succession is an embarrassment of TV riches (and still having Chernobyl in my backlog besides).

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I had an effort post on Season 1 eaten when I was unceremoniously cut loose at the startup I was with, which is fitting given this show and how Kenton wrecks Vaulter.

Anyway, I noticed in the new opening credits they made a couple changes to the ATN broadcasts shown, kudos to the writers for upping their chyron game which are sadly indistinguishable from those on Fox News:
  • "Heavens Open Up - First Openly Gay Married Couple in Space"
  • "Drones Could Even Be Used to Bring Down Military or Commercial Aircraft"
  • "Children should not be vaccinated, says Doctor"
  • "How Guns Make Us Safe - New Documentary in ATN Tonight"

radlum
May 13, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

Hell yeah it was. Going from it to Succession is an embarrassment of TV riches (and still having Chernobyl in my backlog besides).

Besides GoT and BLL, HBO has had a good year. Veep had a great ending, Chernobyl was a hit, Euphoria was surprisingly good and so far Succession has been great. I have high hopes for His Dark Materials and Watchmen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I forgot this started again. Season 1 was so good + complete in terms of character arcs that i wouldnt even mind if this season was bad.

Like the gradual change in how I saw roman until he's finally totally impotent was like laugh out loud. Havent had a drama this funny since the sopranos.

One more serious moment that stuck out to me as really excellent from S1 was Greg following Tom and telling him that he had to do something about Shiv cheating.

EDIT: Ok I caught up with the first two episodes. This show is even better somehow. I didn't think it would be possible.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 23, 2019

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sticksy posted:

I had an effort post on Season 1 eaten when I was unceremoniously cut loose at the startup I was with, which is fitting given this show and how Kenton wrecks Vaulter.

Anyway, I noticed in the new opening credits they made a couple changes to the ATN broadcasts shown, kudos to the writers for upping their chyron game which are sadly indistinguishable from those on Fox News:
  • "Heavens Open Up - First Openly Gay Married Couple in Space"
  • "Drones Could Even Be Used to Bring Down Military or Commercial Aircraft"
  • "Children should not be vaccinated, says Doctor"
  • "How Guns Make Us Safe - New Documentary in ATN Tonight"

I particularly liked "Is 'sweetcheeks' hate speech now?"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wild Speculation: This show either ends with Cousin Greg in charge of everything or going to jail for everything

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Professor Shark posted:

Wild Speculation: This show either ends with Cousin Greg in charge of everything or going to jail for everything

Yeah cousin Greg somehow becoming The Godfather in the end was always my prediction.

This episode was hard to watch, but in a well designed, good way, dramatically. Scenes with Kendall and Vaulter make me feel like I'm watching Darth Vader stand by while Palpatine fries Luke in front of him.

What really got me was that scene with Tom, Shiv, and Roman at dinner. It's sucks being in a situation where playful ribbing quickly becomes a semi-malicious two-on-one dunk session as your expense. I'm sure there are people with better social skills who can deflect that type of poo poo with some sort of grace, but I've never been able to. So far the only options I could ever think of were swallowing anger or getting upset and making it known that isn't cool which always ends up with the other two people side eyeing each other because now you're a sensitive baby.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tom needs to learn to play punch bag as well as Greg

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Conner is the most interesting man on TV

"Can I trust you Tom?" omg I can't stop laughing.

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 26, 2019

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

That's about as choreographed as a dog getting hosed on roller skates!

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I get that "rich people being assholes" doesnt inspire the goonographic, but thats some good tv.

Roman impotent or asexual?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Despera posted:

I get that "rich people being assholes" doesnt inspire the goonographic, but thats some good tv.

Impotent but it's psychological we saw him jerk off. He just feels too much constant humiliation to get it up for a woman.

Wonderful episode, possibly best of the series. Always happy for more Geri and Frank. Tom and Greg have such a funny/good relationship, and I like Kendall/Greg being more friendly because they're almost roommates now. Love the direction they took Kendall this season.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 26, 2019

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Tom: I must be loyle to my Greg the Egg.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Does Connor even pay Federal income tax ? He does not, or has ever had, a job that he gets income for as far as I can see.

Alan Ruck is really killing it and making me excited about the Roy2020 campaign as much who gets to run the company. He may be the most dangerous Roy out there.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Man that's was some serious Lord of the Flies poo poo.

Tom and Greg are the only relationship that matters, but Geri and Roman is becoming interesting.

I'm sure super rich old money people love dressing up and playing hunter, but goddamn it's such a cliche. If you got all the money in the world rent a restored galleon and an island and pretend you're pirates or something.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Despera posted:

Overcompensating closet gay.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forget what it was in the first couple episodes, but I remember thinking that I felt there was something between Roman and Geri. Then this episode suggested they were close.

I liked this episode. As usual, Tom and Greg were the highlights. Tom settling for an open relationship that he isn't totally okay with in exchange for the power he wants is good TV and adds depth to his already great character.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
"That's chunky!"

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Wow, Logan really let corporate politics cast a cloud over an otherwise spirited round of Boar On The Floor.

I'm really enjoying that he's seemingly recuperated from his season 1 medical episode and he's far more volatile when lucid.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Professor Shark posted:

Tom settling for an open relationship that he isn't totally okay with in exchange for the power he wants is good TV and adds depth to his already great character.

What really adds depth to that subplot is that I don't think Shiv's actually OK with it either. Maybe it's just Sarah Snook's great facial acting, but she had such a wilted look every time she interacted with Tom both during her flirtations and after she saw his reaction to it, and the way they framed her in wide shots at the end of the episode made her look really isolated.

Did they just drop the subplot of Marcia pulling the strings and being up to something shady or what? She's barely had anything to do this season so far.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 26, 2019

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Sucks Shiv got played by her dad. I liked the dynamic of her being with fake Bernie and the conflict it added.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

did she? I think Kendall is perfect in his current role and he'd be ideal serving another master. Like ideally it would be someone else as CEO and he just plays the doug stamper role forever. Wont happen it's too clean but I could listen to Kendall ask "so what's up dude?" forever.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I don't think Kendall wants to be Shiv's slave. Her coming in is probably he looked so depressed in next weeks preview.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I don't know if he can be more depressed. The guy is so owned he's still backseat riding on a motorcycle. For a culture that's all about alpha males, I can't imagine someone with Kendall's status even considering that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's a weird thing with kendall. theoretically he's lower than ever now but he's so much more competent now than he was as his own person in s1. Like he's owned now, but he's so effective. It's a fantastic show, basically.

Like "my dad told me to do it" is this bizarrely liberating justification even if it implies having no free will at all. so good.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Brian Cox is going to get some huge late-career adoration for his qualities in this show. That moment where Logan finds out about Mo is incredible and says so much about his character.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

No Wave posted:

it's a weird thing with kendall. theoretically he's lower than ever now but he's so much more competent now than he was as his own person in s1. Like he's owned now, but he's so effective. It's a fantastic show, basically.

Like "my dad told me to do it" is this bizarrely liberating justification even if it implies having no free will at all. so good.

What's interesting to me about Kendall is that he seems very competent from a pure business standpoint with regards to not overextending, anticipating future trends, etc. Where he fails is his interactions with people and the politics of it all. He has difficulty inspiring anyone, maintaining loyalty, sniffing out betrayals, and knowing when to strike. He's just not going at controlling people with fear or love. Doesn't help that his name and demeanor makes him unlikable to practically anyone he wants to work with. I think he'd make a good COO, but he needs someone else as a corporate figurehead to deal with all the bullshit.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

What's interesting to me about Kendall is that he seems very competent from a pure business standpoint with regards to not overextending, anticipating future trends, etc. Where he fails is his interactions with people and the politics of it all. He has difficulty inspiring anyone, maintaining loyalty, sniffing out betrayals, and knowing when to strike. He's just not going at controlling people with fear or love. Doesn't help that his name and demeanor makes him unlikable to practically anyone he wants to work with. I think he'd make a good COO, but he needs someone else as a corporate figurehead to deal with all the bullshit.

I think all this is his dad moulding him into what he always wanted him to be, not punishing him at all. The only thing about it that you could even consider punishment is riding on the back of the bike - and this is after Kendall literally tried to destroy him.

Logan saw how ruthless Kendall could be with the attempt at a bear hug and now knows for sure he wants him at the helm eventually. Logan isnt exactly a charismatic leader either and Kendall is just being morphed into the killer that his dad always wanted.

I think the biggest problems will be Kendall gaining his confidence back/kicking his habit and dealing with the blowback from his siblings after they realize Logan still wants him; maybe some internal conflict with Kendall being what his dad wants or being the kind of father he wants to be in some attempt at a family. Even with all the poo poo he still seems like an alright dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

I forget what it was in the first couple episodes, but I remember thinking that I felt there was something between Roman and Geri. Then this episode suggested they were close.

Probably when Roman is at the Vaulter office and he calls her and asks her to come.