Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hazamuth posted:

Nah, let me just say that I am an outside observer that has infiltrated the higher echelons of CI(not)G. You can probably see my hiding place if you look closely at the recent pictures from Bar Citizen with Erin. Let's just say that he is keeping me close to his heart..

Cholesterol?

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Not really, no. The mines will have to have a stupidly big range, because space is big and free.

Naval mines were used, because you could use them in a narrow point when you lacked ships - so put them between two islands, move your ships somewhere else, great. Nobody made circles of mines around whole base / island.

In space you don't have such narrow points. What's worse, instead of a circle, you now want to make a sphere, which is even more intensive. By this point, it'd be better to make a small fighter and guard the area instead.

Not to say it's bad to have detached sentry points to cover blind spots (like Elite's outposts have), but to make them via minelaying is pointless.

As an example - if you have mines that can shoot 1 km and you can place them within 1 km of the station, all is swell, you'll need, say, 4 of them, placed as tetrahedron, and you'll be mostly fine. But if, say, the station allows to lay stuff in 5 km at least (as a no-shoot zone, maybe?), you'll need 100 of them, supposed you place them perfectly. 10 km and you'll need 400, and so on.

Mines in space really give about as much sense as the "border" in 5th Element (which was there for laughs) and is a sad remainder of the stereotypical "Space combat is naval combat in space" approach that you'd think "realistic" sim like Star Citizen would leave behind. Alas...

Even in The Wrath of Khan in 1982 the villain is described as lacking experience with space battles, resulting in two-dimensional thinking. 37 years later, Chris and his project still show a lack of understanding of what space is like.

Still, something like cloaked mines with their own propulsion systems drifting around a relatively small object (like a communications relay or similar) or around the entrance to an intersystem wormhole could be a minor source of interesting gameplay in a game made by a good studio. Too bad this is CIG we're talking about.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

BobHoward posted:

I'm curious how he got the idea that the PS4 doesn't do process isolation. The PS4's operating system is a fork of FreeBSD, which totally does have full process isolation. Unless Sony spent a lot of extra effort removing that feature when they forked, but... why would they. That makes no sense.

Could it be... that Kazan isn't as smart or knowledgeable as he thinks he is???

He has no knowledge about game dev apart from literally editing some config files 15 years ago.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hazamuth posted:

Nah, let me just say that I am an outside observer that has infiltrated the higher echelons of CI(not)G. You can probably see my hiding place if you look closely at the recent pictures from Bar Citizen with Erin. Let's just say that he is keeping me close to his heart..

if you're the 10-year boy then you shouldn't have an SA account

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Erenthal posted:

also lmao is that minelayer really 600+ dollars?

how is this still going

The minelayer isn't 600 dollars. The minelayer is free ! You are simply donating 600 dollars to CIG to help them develop the game ! You only get the minelayer as a "thank you" reward as a side effect !

Of course, we all know that once Star Citizen is out ( ahahah.. ) they'll stop crowd-funding and selling virtual spaceships. After all, they promised. And it's not in CIG's practises to lie to their backers, do they ?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol:

That brings to mind another couple chapters of humorous fraud from this sham company. Wasn't there some kind of Valentine's Day promotion where you could buy two ships or something, with the hilarious limitation that you were still buying them both for yourself? Or that when you bought Star Citizen "swag" like t-shirts or whatever, if you bought more than one you had to ship each one in a separate box, each time incurring the maximum possible shipping fee.

It's been going on for so long, and they've done so much stupid poo poo, it's impossible to keep track of all this. There's more information about their legendary ineptitude over the bigger part of a decade now, I feel universities have enough to offer a loving doctorate degree for people who can get their heads around it all. Maybe in the future we'll see accredited Star Citizen historians on documentaries with bookshelves behind them filled with encyclopedic tomes documenting CIG's fraud and unforced errors, and they'll tip their half-moon glasses and tell the interviewer "I'll have to re-read on that one, I think I remember it, there's just so much here."

Sometimes I re-read the recap thread or the drama megathread and re-learn hilarious stuff of yesteryear.

Also yes you recalled both of those things correctly.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Wait... Wasn't Cyberpunk 2077 playable at e3?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sedisp posted:

Wait... Wasn't Cyberpunk 2077 playable at e3?

Well yeah but I mean only at e3 so it's not like they released it to everyone for free so actually Squadron 42 is doing JUST FINE THANK YOU (please don't look at the roadmap)

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

CeeJee posted:

Star Citizen: gently caress you, got minelayer

:popeye:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hazamuth posted:

now thats intriguing!
tell me more!
You'll have to call again.

Darmok. And Jalad. At Tenagra.
Darmok. (Engage) And Jalad. At Tenagra.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard, USS Enterprise.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, USS Enterprise...

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
How long before they start selling ships for bitcoin?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hazamuth posted:

How about another ship, this time 900 dollars, that can actually remove mines?

Return of the space bulldozer!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

I'm curious how he got the idea that the PS4 doesn't do process isolation. The PS4's operating system is a fork of FreeBSD, which totally does have full process isolation. Unless Sony spent a lot of extra effort removing that feature when they forked, but... why would they. That makes no sense.

Could it be... that Kazan isn't as smart or knowledgeable as he thinks he is???

No one is as smart or knowledgeable as that Kazan thinks he is.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Ding Ding the joke is that he has enough mass to hide a person inside like ben lesnick, enveloper

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cv8al4/aegis_nautilus/

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Tokamak posted:

Return of the space bulldozer!

Speaking of.. why don't the carriers come with one?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
How would laying a mine in space help?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

How would laying a mine in space help?

My crapping out a steamy curler on my porch keeps Jehovah's Witnesses away. I guess something like that? :shrug:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
well you can shut off a planet by surrounding it with a sphere of mines.
which will be a good days work i guess.
then all you have to do is sit there and wait for the invaders.

wait what no invaders are coming?
hmm...does anyone remember the codes to turn them mines off?!?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

So if I understand correctly, the missile truck has a range of 2km, but mines have a detection and movement range of 5km?

Quavers fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 25, 2019

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

AbnormallyBendPenis shooting straight from the hip there

his nibs fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 25, 2019

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

My crapping out a steamy curler on my porch keeps Jehovah's Witnesses away. I guess something like that? :shrug:

That's a good idea, but now imagine your porch is as big as space, you'd have an awesome porch for sure, but would they come across the turd?
I suppose I just can't think of a valid reason, while in space, to drop a mine :lol:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Quavers posted:

So if I understand correctly, the missile truck has a range of 2km, but mines have a detection and movement range of 5km?

The Ballista is one third the price of the Nautilus, so by that metric it's actually overpowered.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:tinfoil::saddowns:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I spent 1500 on a bike this week, and I'm getting a lot more literal mileage out of it compared to spending 1950 to buy a ship in a game.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Tokamak posted:

The Ballista is one third the price of the Nautilus, so by that metric it's actually overpowered.

:hmmyes:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Hazamuth posted:

Ding Ding the joke is that he has enough mass to hide a person inside like ben lesnick, enveloper

Ben lesnick,congealer.

Ben lesnick,contractor (of diabetes)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Quavers posted:

mines that chase a target? so like....missiles? literally missiles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

No, you miss the point! You place them and forget them. When a bad guy comes, then they chase.

Realistically, they despawn before they do anything.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

wasn't mine the original term for what we now call torpedoes?

e: or was it the other way around? can never remember

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Starcraft's spider mines, but in space.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The best part of the mine laying ship is that server performance is loving terrible as it is, and now they're saying they're going to add a ship that spawns large quantities of extra, autonomous entities. But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. It wont have any impact on server performance, because it will never be loving implemented.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

I am already waiting for someone to surround port olisar with mines that shoot everyone trying to leave. We all know that is going to happen sooner or later.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Chocobo posted:

The best part of the mine laying ship is that server performance is loving terrible as it is, and now they're saying they're going to add a ship that spawns large quantities of extra, autonomous entities. But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. It wont have any impact on server performance, because it will never be loving implemented.

Mines will be counted towards the 50 player server limit

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Reminder that the rattler cluster missiles were responsible for breaking the only somewhat playable part of the game, arena commander, when cig introduced them and the missile netcode hasn't been accommodated to larger quantities of missiles ever since.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:laffo: :gary:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I wouldnt be surprised if they all bought the ship. The entire purpose of an event like this is to create hype and enthusiasm and peer pressure towards making the purchase. I still think this is time-share marketing tactics.

i sincerely hope 'static server meshing' means something fancier than instancing otherwise l o l

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 25, 2019

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

The one company I can trust to make an interesting and engaging turret pet class worth $675: CIG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers posted: