Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

I mean we all knew this, but it's nice to have it confirmed. Chris is making a 90's cutscene fiasco that the rest of the industry, and every gamer who ever lived, moved quickly and happily away from at lightning speed. Chris has no idea how to make a game. He lied about an MMO to fund a game that nobody wanted then, nobody wants now, and nobody will ever want. To me that crosses the line into fraud. Promise game A that everyone wants, use the money to make game B that nobody wants. And do it all in a topsy-turvy way that blurs the line between the games and implies that progress on one equates to progress on the other.

I'm starting to think we are going to see Squadron 42. Absolute banal poo poo for dozens of hours, interspersed with the 2022 gaming equivalent of Sewer Shark.

In fairness, the original-original pitch was SQ42, then they tacked on multiplayer and a bunch of loving idiots totally lost their minds over the thought of it and suddenly they're off to the races.

Just imagine if he'd gone "no my vision is a single player movie game, putting multiplayer in would RUIN my carefully crafted fidelitious masterpiece because then I'd have to consider more than one camera angle at a time"

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

History Comes Inside! posted:

In fairness

In fairness, the original-original pitch was SQ42, then they tacked on multiplayer and a bunch of loving idiots totally lost their minds over the thought of it and suddenly they're off to the races.

Just imagine if he'd gone "no my vision is a single player movie game, putting multiplayer in would RUIN my carefully crafted fidelitious masterpiece because then I'd have to consider more than one camera angle at a time"

I agree, but that's also kind of my point. He bait and switched once he smelled the money. If he had asked for money to make SQ42, then made it, yeah it would have been poo poo, but he offered it, they paid for it, and that's fair. Chris went out of his way to overpromise and paint this insane picture of the MMO and said very little about SQ42 while, secretly, it's where all the actual effort went. Imagine how bad SQ42 will be. It's almost impossible, we'll certainly fall short of the mark. Now realize that hundreds of millions of dollars made the worst game ever made. All that money came from the promise of a different game entirely. It's beyond hosed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

I guess it makes sense that they are releasing this at the end of Gamescom in lieu of a September Citcon. I really want to know if the November anniversary sale ship is still going to be a $200-$400 mid tier jpg, or if they are going to double dip with another $700+ whale jpg because it's Citcon.

They're going to go with a $1500+ ship. They have to prove that they can get more money than ever to keep the project going. My guess is that they'll sell a light cruiser for "cheap" 3.5k or so.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Interesting side note to this angry angry rant: previous year gameplay demos were full of all sorts of poo poo that was later (poorly) implemented in the game.

But look at the list he makes right up to 2018: everything they've ever demo'd is now in the game. There haven't been any demos in 2017-2018 that showed off any gameplay features we haven't got yet, except for stuff that was obvious fakery bullshit like the sandworm. At some point they just stopped developing new stuff, and everything's now in the game- but it still doesn't feel like a game because none of the stuff they worked on was mechanical, it was all puff.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’m having some laughs scrolling through that thread. The cultists are trying hard to contain all of the FUD, but they’re getting destroyed.

Turns out people are not too happy that the big concierge event with Chris finally showing up after 6 months, was just another pointless concept ship sale.

But of course the whole sub is now being spammed with 890J screenshot posts.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 25, 2019

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Has Sandi distanced herself from the game?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

I’m having some laughs scrolling through that thread. The cultists are trying hard to contain all of the FUD, but they’re getting destroyed.

Turns out people are not too happy that the big concierge event with Chris finally showing up after 6 months, was just another pointless concept ship sale.

The minelayer thread is at like 600 comments.

It and the roadmap threads are basically all the activity on the sub for the week, like they contain 95% of all comments or more. And they're consistently getting more and more negative. Not even the thousand dollar yacht (with no mechanics) or a brand-new super flight-ready concept sale!!1! is turning the tide at this point. CIG's got to put up or shut up and we know they can't put up.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG's got to put up or shut up and we know they can't put up.

They likely don't give a poo poo about what people are saying if the stuff they're putting out is selling regardless. I bet they sold a lot of 890s this week.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They likely don't give a poo poo about what people are saying if the stuff they're putting out is selling regardless. I bet they sold a lot of 890s this week.

It's actually not even up for sale right now

It might go on sale when it hits live, but at this point- I doubt it. It's just stunning incompetence all the way down.

But honestly I wouldn't want it on sale right now, either- the sub negativity really will depress sales. Nobody wants to hang their identity-defining purchases on a ship that is, by all accounts, completely useless and overwhelmingly expensive. CIG is losing the fight right now to define this poo poo as "Groundbreaking" and the sub is starting to discuss the ships as they actually are- incredibly overpriced art assets in a game where basic stuff remains broken for years.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also I like that the store page for the ship lists the production status as "Waiting for resources to start production" when it is literally at the end of that 9-month or whatever process.

Kinda, uh, falling behind on your store there, guys!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

everything's now in the game- but it still doesn't feel like a game because none of the stuff they worked on was mechanical, it was all puff.

This is a core theme that backers are somehow missing. I think in the best case that they can't conceive that art assets won't automatically equate to gameplay elements - why claim to be a game studio and claim to be making a game, if the "ships" you release are just non-functional models? They must be functional ships, CIG must have a flight model and ideas for all this. They wouldn't have the balls to just release 3D models into a model viewer and claim it's a game, would they? They'll just layer in the foundation later.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A lot of peoples heads are exploding about the idea of a space minelayer. What's it going to mine? Jump points? Yeah sounds like great fun for everyone.

Also hilarious that it can put down a whole field of autonomous laser turrets when ships need mainframe servers to run turret AI. Even the minelayer ship! It has like 4 gunners!

If the game actually worked someone could break it by tractor beaming turret mines to get more firepower

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 25, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

Ha ha ha ha The space minelayer is real. loving perfect.

And they are really out of good ideas for ships.

If you think CIG has run out of ideas on this I have a bridge to sell you! Underwater ships and vehicles, underground drilling ones, bases modules, apartment blocks. The sky is the limit, or rather the gullibility of backers is.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Star Citizen: gently caress you, got minelayer

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A lot of peoples heads are exploding about the idea of a space minelayer. What's it going to mine? Jump points? Yeah sounds like great fun for everyone.

CIG's model for the last half-dozen big ships has been to kind of wave their hands and illustrate a "Vision" and then let the players fill in the rest.

It's a rapid-attack torpedo corvette!
It's a carrier for pirate ships!
It's a minelayer!
It's an anti-air missile platform on wheels!
It's a yacht with command and control capabilities!

They just kind of throw this stuff out there, and as Scruffpuff says- players just assume that there must be a coherent design behind the whole thing. But each piece that comes out reveals that to be a lie. As more and more ships are released, it will become more apparent that there was never any plan, no mechanics at all to tie all this together- just a bunch of wouldn't-it-be-cool pictures translated into unbelievably expensive 3D models.

We seem to have passed a tipping point this time. People are already getting disillusioned and for once in the life of the project more ships are not the answer. I'm betting we see a very-serious sit down chat from the Chairman next week where he does his shame-on-you routine and tries to flip the script on backers. No, it's your fault for having high expectations about our roadmap! Chances are it'll work, or at least drive off another layer of doubters, leaving that diamond-hard core of the craziest, most awful faithful just in time for the big Con.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In other games, if for whatever shitastic reason you want to lay some mines you buy the stupid things in the shop that sells the lamest things, load them in the cargo hold of your lovely ship, and then lay them around a goddamn space station or whatever.

But in STAR CITIZEN, the first AAAA game, you buy the stupid things and... hold it there sailor! you need a specialized ship to lay such delicate instruments of war! that'll be $675 dollars, plus tax. For the cheap, cheap price of a dozen AAA games you'll be allowed into the exciting world of mine laying. gently caress YEAH! I am Chris Roberts, King of Kings, look on my works, ye backer, and despair!'

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Interesting side note to this angry angry rant: previous year gameplay demos were full of all sorts of poo poo that was later (poorly) implemented in the game.

But look at the list he makes right up to 2018: everything they've ever demo'd is now in the game. There haven't been any demos in 2017-2018 that showed off any gameplay features we haven't got yet, except for stuff that was obvious fakery bullshit like the sandworm. At some point they just stopped developing new stuff, and everything's now in the game- but it still doesn't feel like a game because none of the stuff they worked on was mechanical, it was all puff.

Plus I am pretty sure if we go through those videos (gently caress that) 90% of what they show (not just the main presentation but all the rest of features) is either actually not in the game, seriously broken or outright cancelled in the roadmap.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 25, 2019

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

CeeJee posted:

:thurman:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

leaving that diamond-hard core of the craziest, most awful faithful just in time for the big Con.

store citizer: the quest for the diamond-grade super-rube

while i found the whale fracking really sad in the past, i must admid that my opinion changed over the years. i am at a point where i do want to see this continue forever. more expensive ships, more exclusive sales events, etc. also i want to see the reddit shills defending chris even harder and absolutely destroy every opposition.

because, looking at those event pictures, they deserve this.
its exactly the kind of people i could not spend 30minutes with without getting a diarrhea attack.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

colonelwest posted:

Look, I'm not a cultist but....

And furthermore.....

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

It's all Sq42 everybody! :woop:

Don't worry about the lack of Chapter roadmap progress :mmmhmm:

Because when Metroid: Other M had a marketing box blurb about how it "Features fully-voiced movies!" that was such a good sign for a game :D

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG's model for the last half-dozen big ships has been to kind of wave their hands and illustrate a "Vision" and then let the players fill in the rest.

It's a minelayer!

They just kind of throw this stuff out there, and as Scruffpuff says- players just assume that there must be a coherent design behind the whole thing. But each piece that comes out reveals that to be a lie. As more and more ships are released, it will become more apparent that there was never any plan, no mechanics at all to tie all this together- just a bunch of wouldn't-it-be-cool pictures translated into unbelievably expensive 3D models.

We seem to have passed a tipping point this time. People are already getting disillusioned and for once in the life of the project more ships are not the answer. I'm betting we see a very-serious sit down chat from the Chairman next week where he does his shame-on-you routine and tries to flip the script on backers. No, it's your fault for having high expectations about our roadmap! Chances are it'll work, or at least drive off another layer of doubters, leaving that diamond-hard core of the craziest, most awful faithful just in time for the big Con.

I think that's we've been seeing for a while now, the community getting progressively whittled down to its lunatic whale core. They type of people who will gladly pay $275 to sit through a sales pitch for a $675 mine laying JPEG. The pace of it has just gradually increased due to the sheer attrition of how long this mess has gone on without any real progress.

The good thing for CIG is that their core of whales is happy to just buy JPEGs and dream about their new life in space.

It's like the idiots in these recent 890J posts. There is absolutely no gameplay at all going on here, but they're still happy as clams sitting around their $900 function-less art asset and pretending to be space tycoons.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Bumble He posted:

store citizer: the quest for the diamond-grade super-rube

while i found the whale fracking really sad in the past, i must admid that my opinion changed over the years. i am at a point where i do want to see this continue forever. more expensive ships, more exclusive sales events, etc. also i want to see the reddit shills defending chris even harder and absolutely destroy every opposition.

because, looking at those event pictures, they deserve this.
its exactly the kind of people i could not spend 30minutes with without getting a diarrhea attack.

:same:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

CeeJee posted:

drat. That's a good one.
:thurman:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

It's a minelayer!

The Star Citizen core fans at this point are like a Stimperical onion. CIG's actions can peel off yet another layer everytime they botch something, but it only means the remainder will be a greater source of tears for people around them.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 25, 2019

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
All you entitled gamers demanding the poor devs work on non-profitable elements rather than what keeps the lights on.
Shame on you.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
And furthermore, this ships is 100% needed for Squadron 42 , like the 890 J , and unlike the Javelin.
So all your points are moot.
It's their company, they can do whatever they want. You knew about this when you pledged.
And unless you have been living in a cave, all AAA companies exploit the gently caress out of their consumers. Why should CIG be held to a higher standard?
You should be greatfull, you're AT LEAST getting the BDSSE out of this rather than another Fortnite clone.
And for all you pieces of poo poo who say you're gonna close your wallet, need I remind you that they need all the money to finish the game? Do you want SC to fail?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I remember early on in the SC timeline, when E:D made the rounds, I would occasionally stumble into the SC website to see what’s what.

I’d always be turned away by the “immersive” descriptions of the whole project. I’m all for immersion, but not from the same-pitch itself. A game that won’t dare to call itself a game isn’t promising in my books, and I never went for it. (The ludicrous pricing was also a deterrent).

Years later I stumble into the SA mockery threads some years later, only then realizing the scope of the bullet I dodged. I think I just started to browse the threads at the time when CR did that hilarious Christmas stream of him testing the game for what was clearly the first time ever, and him obviously hating it.

It’s kind of amazing that SC has survived this long after that shitfire, honestly.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

this is the saddest loving thing

a bunch of middle aged paunchy white dudes all dreaming of escaping their dreary lives, creating a new glorious life in space where they will finally be respected and people will bow and scrape before them and chicks will throw themselves at them

i can't help but actually pity them, even though they brought it on themselves being scammed like this

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
also lmao is that minelayer really 600+ dollars?

how is this still going

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The news-van ship from ages ago paved the road for these asinine ships.

Mine laying is much more logical in the context of space warfare than goddamn news-network ships. X-Wing Alliance has some mine-esque things back in the day, as I recall.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigglesSWE posted:

Mine laying is much more logical in the context of space warfare than goddamn news-network ships. X-Wing Alliance has some mine-esque things back in the day, as I recall.

Not really, no. The mines will have to have a stupidly big range, because space is big and free.

Naval mines were used, because you could use them in a narrow point when you lacked ships - so put them between two islands, move your ships somewhere else, great. Nobody made circles of mines around whole base / island.

In space you don't have such narrow points. What's worse, instead of a circle, you now want to make a sphere, which is even more intensive. By this point, it'd be better to make a small fighter and guard the area instead.

Not to say it's bad to have detached sentry points to cover blind spots (like Elite's outposts have), but to make them via minelaying is pointless.

As an example - if you have mines that can shoot 1 km and you can place them within 1 km of the station, all is swell, you'll need, say, 4 of them, placed as tetrahedron, and you'll be mostly fine. But if, say, the station allows to lay stuff in 5 km at least (as a no-shoot zone, maybe?), you'll need 100 of them, supposed you place them perfectly. 10 km and you'll need 400, and so on.

Mines in space really give about as much sense as the "border" in 5th Element (which was there for laughs) and is a sad remainder of the stereotypical "Space combat is naval combat in space" approach that you'd think "realistic" sim like Star Citizen would leave behind. Alas...

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Also when you think about it, this opens up new, exciting possibilities:

How about a 750 dollar ship with mine detection capabilities?

How about another ship, this time 900 dollars, that can actually remove mines?

Now imagine the blistering action contained in upcoming gameplay where these two
ships have to work in tandem, other one detecting mines and other one removing mines. This way
those lone wolves in their minelaying ships won't be relegated to a joke, because it is more expensive
to demine than to lay mines. On the flipside both mine detection and removal will introduce new gameplay
mechanics, such as golf swing and, dare I say it, minesweeper.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hazamuth posted:

Also when you think about it, this opens up new, exciting possibilities:

How about a 750 dollar ship with mine detection capabilities?

How about another ship, this time 900 dollars, that can actually remove mines?

Now imagine the blistering action contained in upcoming gameplay where these two
ships have to work in tandem, other one detecting mines and other one removing mines. This way
those lone wolves in their minelaying ships won't be relegated to a joke, because it is more expensive
to demine than to lay mines. On the flipside both mine detection and removal will introduce new gameplay
mechanics, such as golf swing and, dare I say it, minesweeper.

cig employee spotted

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ofc it’s stupid.

What I meant was that they make somewhat more sense thematically in a game revolving shooting space ships than news-broadcasting or space-farming.

I can see how a competent developer would be able to integrate them in a meaningful way. But a competent developer likely wouldn’t limit their application to a singular ship that cost almost 700 USD in real life money. That’s the MO for a hack and a fraud.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

his nibs posted:

cig employee spotted

Nah, let me just say that I am an outside observer that has infiltrated the higher echelons of CI(not)G. You can probably see my hiding place if you look closely at the recent pictures from Bar Citizen with Erin. Let's just say that he is keeping me close to his heart..

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
All space games have mines? Usually lasergun mines but rebel Galaxy outlaw also have exploding ones.
Nothing wrong with the mine mechanic in a space games. Getting shot at from all angles is pretty annoying.

This is meaningless talk anyhow as it will take ages for this to be implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bofast posted:

Speaking of laughable, that Kazan is at it again in one of the more critical threads this month. He stated that Star Citizen's bugs are entirely normal and that it's less buggy in alpha than a lot of Frostbite 3 releases and the last 20 years of Bethesda published games.
I'm not sure where he gets these ideas from, but he certainly seems too insecure to ever admit error.
I wonder if he was an Anthem fan, considering this gem:

I'm still curious as to whether or not he will come up with an actual answer after being told that the Anthem shutdown errors were not exclusively a PS4 issue.

I'm curious how he got the idea that the PS4 doesn't do process isolation. The PS4's operating system is a fork of FreeBSD, which totally does have full process isolation. Unless Sony spent a lot of extra effort removing that feature when they forked, but... why would they. That makes no sense.

Could it be... that Kazan isn't as smart or knowledgeable as he thinks he is???