Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Regrettable posted:

Tinfoil's melee build has been working pretty well on hard difficulty but I sincerely doubt that will carry over to nightmare.

Tinfoil's build is a monster, and I have only a few more things to complete to also make a melee build to test it out.

I'm going to use the lifesteal scythe instead of the hammer to see if there's any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't have any friends that bought this game, but it's way more fun in co-op so I've been leaving it Public so randoms can join. This is all fine and dandy until boss fights when they invariably poo poo the bed and keep dying over and over.

I'm fighting the big fattie hammer boss at the moment (I love that the weak spot is his rear end in a top hat lol) and my co-op partner keeps getting hit by every drat thing.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I don't have any friends that bought this game, but it's way more fun in co-op so I've been leaving it Public so randoms can join. This is all fine and dandy until boss fights when they invariably poo poo the bed and keep dying over and over.

I'm fighting the big fattie hammer boss at the moment (I love that the weak spot is his rear end in a top hat lol) and my co-op partner keeps getting hit by every drat thing.

There's a discord link in the op where you may find new friends to play this with, depending on what you play on. I think we only have a few console players there and I believe they're all PS4, but there are quite a few PC players.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I still have literally never had anybody connect to my game, despite leaving it on Public since I started, even though I can join others just fine. The Coop is fun! I wish I could do it and actually progress!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Judgement posted:

I still have literally never had anybody connect to my game, despite leaving it on Public since I started, even though I can join others just fine. The Coop is fun! I wish I could do it and actually progress!

Weird, someone usually connects to my games within a minute or two of me starting. You have to get to a checkpoint before they can actually join you though.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Maybe it's some issue with your network settings? I have a buddy who I have trouble connecting to half of the time because it won't even show him as online in the game. He either has to send me an invite through Steam or I have to join on one of our other buddies who's in game with him. Never had issues connecting to anyone else, though.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Memnaelar posted:

Final boss is really mean when you're playing solo and your only +15 weapon is a sniper rifle that's just not efficient for the second phase. Going to have to grind up a better weapon (and a lot of consumables) to beat this thing. Some part of me is tempted to re-roll the world without beating it but enh.

Last boss is way easier solo, the increased health works so hard against you when only one person is doing the shadow realm gimmick. I'd grind up the SMG and throw in some mod that spits out damage.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Drakes posted:

Last boss is way easier solo, the increased health works so hard against you when only one person is doing the shadow realm gimmick. I'd grind up the SMG and throw in some mod that spits out damage.

Yeah, after finishing my first playthrough solo, I joined some random public groups today and most people just don't optimize for burst damage (because for most of the game you don't have to), and then they can't consistently do the phase. Plus the group mode puts some extra adds outside so you could phase out and suddenly get ganked.

On the solo version I did it with +7 Ruin / +10 SMG with Swarm so the gear requirement isn't too bad.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I really like all the bosses, honestly. The only one that got me frustrated was Undying King, and that pushed me to the edge with my +7 gear at the time. Probably took me at least 10 times to beat it. All the others I've been able to get through on the first or second shot.

I'm on Jungle planet now and the weapon options have really opened up, but moving away from Spitfire is hard to do.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Drakes posted:

There's also the fact that it keeps firing when you're in the dream realm so it can shoot you the instant you pop out if you're just a little unlucky with your timing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Judgement posted:

I just found a beam rifle and I love beam weapons, so RIP my effectiveness, probably, as I never use anything but this gun ever again.

Good news, as the beam rifle is one of the most bullshit overpowered weapons in the game against everything but enemies that outright no-sell radiation damage(who don't exist outside Rhom).

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I really like all the bosses, honestly. The only one that got me frustrated was Undying King, and that pushed me to the edge with my +7 gear at the time. Probably took me at least 10 times to beat it. All the others I've been able to get through on the first or second shot.

I'm on Jungle planet now and the weapon options have really opened up, but moving away from Spitfire is hard to do.

I just don't know how you can give up using the Spitfire. A decent SMG that ALSO has a built in flamethrower? Yes please! I can't get enough of having a ton of low health mobs rush me, wait slightly around a a corner and just FFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTT the whole lot of them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this game really starts to loving rule once you get to rhom. it doesn't start off all that bombastic but it ramps up quick.

JetpackJeezus
Jul 27, 2011

Heaven Can Wait
Final Boss Shenanigans:

Game glitched out during the final boss when I was dead and it tried pulling me into the Nega-Realm. This resulted in a wonderful bug changing the color scheme to something... much more metal. :rock:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Hows everyone else finding joining into other player sessions after the last boss?

Been finding it kinda crappy since 80% of the time I'm thrown into a player game whos got the last quest to do. Which seems extra silly when coop makes that boss harder:shepface:.

I just wanna hop around and see if I can get other weapons I haven't gotten bosses for yet.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont coop w unknowns

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
always gon coop with unknowns!

Also accidentally messed up a guys world by talking to the undying king and picking the aggro option after he went and picked the other one. Didn't think I could mess with the hosts progression/storyline like that.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 25, 2019

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I just got the last item I needed from earth and holy poo poo it took me alot of resets to get the assault rifle and Brabus the second time for the item I didn't have. Kinda wish the game would make it much more likely for the zones you haven't seen to spawn in your world.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Promethium posted:

On the solo version I did it with +7 Ruin / +10 SMG with Swarm so the gear requirement isn't too bad.

The game scales up to match your weighted gear score so my +15 sniper rifle actually reads (thanks to my +10 sidearm) as below the encounter level for my final boss. So, some leveling of the side arm for the nega-phase is necessary.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This is my "man I want to like it, but I can't" game of 2019. Love the setting and world-building, but the execution of so many of the game's elements is poor and it gets in the way, constantly. The game obviously works better in co-op (the devs just keep repeating that they balanced it for solo play - and while that may technically be true, it's often loving miserable to play that way), but the implementation of co-op is the most clunky poo poo I've seen in a long time. On top of that, co-op seems like it's a buggy mess. I've had numerous connection issues on Xbox, along with about 4 crashes while trying to play in co-op through match-making.

I mean there are times when the multiplayer in the Souls games seems needlessly clunky but this game makes From's implementation seem graceful by comparison.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
My melee build:
  • Petrified Maul
  • Void Armor set
  • Leech Ember
  • Root circlet
  • Butcher's Fetish
  • Max: Rapid Strike, Warrior, Arcane Strike, Kingslayer, Executioner, Vigor (and any other defensive traits you can pump)
Wade into battle and go ham with your stupidly fast maul and regen any lost health as you laugh at your gun wielding friends constantly "dodging" and "not gaining back all their health on any random trash mob"
Alternate style: swap root circlet for devouring loop, use Akari set and catalyst perk. Do fancy dodges and watch some very funny numbers hit the screen. This doesn't work as well co-op because you need a moment to do the Akari acrobatics and co-op gets too hectic to take that time every mob.

e: Petrified maul is 100% required for just about any melee build. It out damages every other melee, does AoE sweeps on every hit, and deals extra bonus damage. Leech ember is based on damage dealt, so you'll find that Petrified maul regens as much HP as using Riven with the leech ember stacked. The only other weapons that can compete for damage output might be a fully charged up forgotten harpoon or Voice of the tempest - but spears are very clunky to use and are only good 1v1. You want to be a trash plowing machine.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 25, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I bought this because people were saying it was amazing and I enjoy a good looty-shooty but I kinda regret that I'm past the point where I can refund it? :(

I'm playing it solo and it has been nothing but frustration, the constantly spawning enemies, the boss fights, it just all feels haphazard. Is it just not really meant to be played solo or am I missing something, because every boss fight so far has been nothing but "spawn adds ad nauseam" and the levels also like spawning enemies on top of you, including elites. I'm on the desert planet (ancient ruins and shooting floating skulls definitely increased my enjoyment) but so far I haven't really found any new equipment so I'm still just using my starting guns since all the bosses have just given me weapon mods, which is also a bit lame? I was hoping there was more... loot.

figured I'd ask if I'm doing something wrong, since I already bought the game and all

Orv
May 4, 2011
All of the weapons come either from defeating bosses, at which point you can build them from the mod vendor, or from the world in specific dungeons or events. One is available in the Root Church, if you missed it and most of them require some level of RNG luck (in what dungeons you get) or exploration. Loot is all handmade, rather than generated, with about 40 weapons and 12 armor sets across the game, including more rings, amulets and mods. It's not really a looter-shooter at all.

On the add front, playing coop certainly helps but adds are there, primarily, to give you ammo drops and generally shouldn't be causing too many problems unless you're just getting overwhelmed in a situation like Gorefist. If you are having problems with adds and they are not suicide bomber types, not killing the spawned adds will prevent more from spawning, if you'd prefer to simply kite them rather than have to deal with more coming from a bad angle.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Honestly, at normal difficulty, almost every boss fight is a joke if you just equip the Rattle Weed mod and use that to keep the adds away. Stock up on ammo boxes since you won't be getting ammo from not killing the adds. Keep shooting the boss to regenerate the mod, then rinse and repeat.

Seriously, Rattle Weed is broken as gently caress and will probably be nerfed hard sooner or later since it pretty much invalidates most of the mechanics and encounters in the game.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 25, 2019

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Scar and Singe is the only boss so far where the adds don’t drop anything. Not sure if that’s intended or not.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

figured I'd ask if I'm doing something wrong, since I already bought the game and all

Your Computer posted:

I'm playing it solo

Also it's not really a schlooter, you get gear from bosses and doing side quests/killing bosses in unique ways.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Constellation I posted:

Honestly, at normal difficulty, almost every boss fight is a joke if you just equip the Rattle Weed mod and use that to keep the adds away. Stock up on ammo boxes since you won't be getting ammo from not killing the adds. Keep shooting the boss to regenerate the mod, then rinse and repeat.
I haven't found that weapon mod, and I've scoured every inch of every map? :(

as for adds dropping ammo - I get that, but they also just... constantly spawn at all times from all directions? Like I just fought a floating triangle in the desert and the arena was just constantly full of floating skulls shooting from every direction, it felt pointless to even try dodging.

Orv posted:

All of the weapons come either from defeating bosses, at which point you can build them from the mod vendor, or from the world in specific dungeons or events. One is available in the Root Church, if you missed it and most of them require some level of RNG luck (in what dungeons you get) or exploration.
I guess I've just been unlucky then? The only weapon I've gotten in like 6 hours of playing is the Spitfire. I missed that weapon in the church though, so I'll go check that out at least!

Asema posted:

Also it's not really a schlooter, you get gear from bosses and doing side quests/killing bosses in unique ways.
:sigh:
Killing bosses in unique ways is new to me though, what's that about?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Your Computer posted:

I bought this because people were saying it was amazing and I enjoy a good looty-shooty but I kinda regret that I'm past the point where I can refund it? :(

I'm playing it solo and it has been nothing but frustration, the constantly spawning enemies, the boss fights, it just all feels haphazard. Is it just not really meant to be played solo or am I missing something, because every boss fight so far has been nothing but "spawn adds ad nauseam" and the levels also like spawning enemies on top of you, including elites. I'm on the desert planet (ancient ruins and shooting floating skulls definitely increased my enjoyment) but so far I haven't really found any new equipment so I'm still just using my starting guns since all the bosses have just given me weapon mods, which is also a bit lame? I was hoping there was more... loot.

It's really not a looter shooter like Borderlands or something. There is loot and there is shoot, but it's more like Bloodborne or Souls loot insofar as there is a fixed, relatively low number of weapons with distinctive behaviors available rather than you finding tons of "Godly SMG of the Whale" or "King's Assault Rifle of Haste" stuff.

New guns are either boss drops from specific bosses(which bosses show up in a run is semi-randomized) or are squirreled away in side dungeons(which are semi-randomized). If you're not being extremely thorough in your side-area exploration it's possible to miss basically all of this stuff, and it's also possible that if you have been thorough your world generated with a lot of non-gun dungeons(which have other stuff like accessories or armor or mods). There is a strong expectation in the game of you rerolling your world or joining different players' worlds in order to see all the content and get all the loot, since no world can generate with all of the side dungeons/events.

There is a fixed, guaranteed new long arm(the sniper rifle) at the root church where you defended the root lady if you explore the basement, which is actually a pretty good example of how easy it is to miss loot in this game if you're not obsessively combing every area. The boss of the first area(either the ent or the dragon) is 100% guaranteed to give you some kind of weapon. There's also a guaranteed sidearm in the ward, and you can buy the other starting long arms from the shop.

Soloing can be super overwhelming on some bosses. If you're not on normal, I recommend rerolling your world to normal; fresh run solo hard is unreasonably frustrating and if you're not looking specifically to punish yourself I don't recommend it. On normal if you feel like you're being overwhelmed and can't get a breath, your safest bet is, as Constellation I says, to get the Rattle Weed(drops off Shroud, one of the two potential first bosses) and use that as a go-to on all the boss fights to draw add aggro while you deal with the boss.

The starting guns are pretty solid to the very end, especially the hunting rifle.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

If you shoot off Singe’s tail before killing him you get a different weapon, and I have heard there’s some boss you can pull a thing out of while he’s stunned but idk which that is.

I don’t have rattle weed yet but someone helping me with Ixilis had it and holy poo poo. It attracts all the glowy balls every time.

This game whips rear end so far. It’s like precisely the mix of things I’ve been wanting. Hope we get plenty of post release support cuz I could keep this going a long time.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Your Computer posted:

as for adds dropping ammo - I get that, but they also just... constantly spawn at all times from all directions? Like I just fought a floating triangle in the desert and the arena was just constantly full of floating skulls shooting from every direction, it felt pointless to even try dodging.

I guess I've just been unlucky then? The only weapon I've gotten in like 6 hours of playing is the Spitfire. I missed that weapon in the church though, so I'll go check that out at least!

Just realized that rattle weed actually comes from beating Shroud. So hopefully you get him early on in your game or join someone who does.

Killing bosses in unique ways just means passing certain conditions when killing them or preventing specific phases, nothing really too complicated.

Also, I don't think the game respawns enemies infinitely or anything. You likely wandered into an area where those enemies were all already there and got kited to you. But I think some enemies are spawned in as well? Not quite sure. The Labyrinth/Desert area is the worst part of the game for me though, so I don't blame you but keep pushing through.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 26, 2019

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Your Computer posted:

The game is highly randomized so you'll probably have to play through 4-5 times at least to see everything. As long as you keep making sure to poke your head in every corner and keep killing bosses you will get more, though some bosses have alternate kill methods that give a different item. For example, you can also get a flaming sword from Singe if you break its tail off before killing it. That said, the starter weapons are some of the most useful in the game overall and can easily carry you through the final boss, provided you upgrade them. A lot of the other weapons are very situational.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Enemies absolutely do not respawn in areas once killed once(until you sit at a checkpoint, ofc), but the desert is absolutely mobbed with a gazillion dudes and they spawn in very close proximity to each other so what almost inevitably happens is while you're fighting some the noise/proximity of the fight attracts more and it dominoes and feels like there's infinite guys.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Kanos posted:

Enemies absolutely do not respawn in areas once killed once(until you sit at a checkpoint, ofc), but the desert is absolutely mobbed with a gazillion dudes and they spawn in very close proximity to each other so what almost inevitably happens is while you're fighting some the noise/proximity of the fight attracts more and it dominoes and feels like there's infinite guys.

They don't respawn but you can absolutely see enemies spawn in sometimes and they'll occasionally spawn right on top of you. This is especially obvious if you have Hunters Mark on at the time.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Your Computer posted:

For bosses and adds, some bosses cleave and friendly fire adds clearing them for you. The bonus dmg on kill effects are nice for add management too. But yeah this isn't much of a looter shooter, you'll come across weapons/armor in predetermined map sections. You could always try coop and hope another players world rolled differently so you encounter different drops.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Constellation I posted:

Also, I don't think the game respawns enemies infinitely or anything. You likely wandered into an area where those enemies were all already there and got kited to you. The Labyrinth/Desert area is the worst part of the game for me though, so I don't blame you but keep pushing through.

There is that one enemy in the swamp that if you don't murder once they have left the head of one of the standard bad guys that will just summon a bunch of them all at once. Had some fun with that one.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly you should join the discord (I haven't done that myself tbh) and get into a goon party and have fun bullshitting with random goons and shooting monsters. The hook of the game is random maps and random playthroughs while being essentially dark souls but with guns and if that isn't your jam, then maybe doing it with future friends would make things better

If not then that's okay as well!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regrettable posted:

They don't respawn but you can absolutely see enemies spawn in sometimes and they'll occasionally spawn right on top of you. This is especially obvious if you have Hunters Mark on at the time.
yeah, I've been using Hunter's Mark and it's very easy to see the enemies spawn in in realtime. The worst area so far was the sewers imo, and because of the tight quarters it was very easy to see the monsters right as they spawn in wave after wave, or spawning elites behind you (which they did like, 3 times)

anyway, thanks for the tips and advice everyone

Asema posted:

essentially dark souls but with guns
this is one of the things people kept saying which got me to buy it but it's the biggest false advertisement ever. It has extremely superficial similarities to the Souls games but that's all. The combat (guns aside) is extremely different, the level design is extremely different, the encounter design is extremely different, the atmosphere and progression is extremely different, it just has nothing in common with those games outside of a third person camera, stamina bar and checkpoints.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 25, 2019

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
How do you reset to get a gun? My game had an assault rifle that I wanted to share with my friends but it's gone.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

this is one of the things people kept saying which got me to buy it but it's the biggest false advertisement ever. It has extremely superficial similarities to the Souls games but that's all. The combat (guns aside) is extremely different, the level design is extremely different, the encounter design is extremely different, the atmosphere and progression is extremely different, it just has nothing in common with those games outside of a third person camera, stamina bar and checkpoints.

I disagree with ya on that one as a big fan of the souls series but sorry that you feel that way

Free Triangle posted:

How do you reset to get a gun? My game had an assault rifle that I wanted to share with my friends but it's gone.

kill the seed by going to your ward 13 crystal and selecting world setting to reset it.

You currently can't make just a specific area, that's coming in 2 weeks in an adventure mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"

Asema posted:

kill the seed by going to your ward 13 crystal and selecting world setting to reset it.

You currently can't make just a specific area, that's coming in 2 weeks in an adventure mode.

If I'm looking the magnum which isn't in my seed, could I find it by resetting?